• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

I meant purely Persona based, should have clarified that :S

Ah. Most people here did not think that much of anything Persona was going to be shown off in the upcoming Famitsu, given the poll, so at least the majority here are probably content with the Margaret news.

Kokonoe was announced in September, BBCP launched in October, and she wasn't available until November.

Edit: Technically the same is true for Terumi, but you got him release day if you had the voucher.

The situation isn't comparable when there are many more new P4AU characters than there were introduced in BBCP, and when there have been two post-release DLC characters announced as of now (Marie isn't like Terumi at all because she will not be playable at all on day 1, meanwhile I could play Terumi just fine when I imported BBCP). This is combined with the fact that the game obviously follows a weekly cycle of regular news, which BBCP did not.

Daimaou

The situation isn't comparable when there are many more new P4AU characters than there were introduced in BBCP, and when there have been two post-release DLC characters announced as of now (Marie isn't like Terumi at all because she will not be playable at all on day 1, meanwhile I could play Terumi just fine when I imported BBCP). This is combined with the fact that the game obviously follows a weekly cycle of regular news, which BBCP did not.

I think you're over analyzing it.

That said, I'm not going to pretend I know whether this is the last character or not, either.

FluxWaveZ

I think you're over analyzing it.

That said, I'm not going to pretend I know whether this is the last character or not, either.

Sure, none of us know, but I've been called out for over-analyzing elements that were indicating upcoming characters ever since Ken was revealed, so I'm not going to give in just yet.

Let's do it. One month duration for the loser?

I've yet to see a good reason for the added R1 Random button. ASW may have never excluded a random slot in the past, but they also have never had a controller-mapped random button either.

So the bet would essentially be that there will be no dedicated random icon on the character select screen?

Wow but of course a dedicated button on the controller for randomizing. Such a simple idea that I never even thought of it. This seems to be it, oh well.

Until Atlus comes out and says "That's it, no more characters", I have faith in our blue headed friend and his female counter part.

Ive made some wild assumptions in the past and im going to make another one right now. Theo, Makoto and possibly Fuuka will be playable................Yeah, its a pipe dream, but i also thought that about the now revealed characters 5 months ago. Obviously, this new assumption is unrealistic given that the game is out in less than a month, but what the hell.

DAMN YOU TUUUUESDAAAAAAAY!

Im also 100% certain that you'll be buying Ultimax on release.

Daimaou

I'm really curious what the production of P4U2 looked like, considering how many characters have been added to the console version. Some of these characters had to have been slated for the original arcade version, possibly even the original P4U.

FluxWaveZ

When all the DLC is said and done, yup. I'll even go one further and say the roster is completed.

I'm not going to bet on whether or not the roster is completed, but if the terms are that there won't be a random icon on the final character select screen—incorporating the DLC characters when they're enabled—then I'm definitely in.

I like to know what I'm betting for, so if you're in, let's decide via PMs.

I can't believe you're awake.

What time is it over there?

Until you actually see how it's being handled. I guess it's great for people that haven't played it but I already have (including on Dolphin) so I'm not very excited.
When you play on Dolphin the character models still hold up incredibly well in HD but there's nothing you can do about the pre-rendered background. For this port they are just being upscaled and the 16:9 aspect ratio is achieved by cropping the screen so yeah, don't get too excited.

Haven't played it since 2004. Good lord, that was 10 years ago. Im super please that the new generation of gamers will get a chance to try it. Im also hoping it sells like crazy, that way, Capcom can stop making Call of Duty/Gears of War clones.

Ill be purchasing it day one for sure.

ip1BC4w.jpg

Dat Mitsuru. Perfect representation.

What time is it over there?

Haven't played it since 2004. Good lord, that was 10 years ago. Im super please that the new generation of gamers will get a chance to try it. Im also hoping it sells like crazy, that way, Capcom can stop making Call of Duty/Gears of War clones.

Ill be purchasing it day one for sure.

People who haven't played it should definitely check it out, yeah.
A true classic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, that Epilogue was worth going through the game a third time for. Seeing
Kanji
made me laugh hard. I hope in P4U2 they have alternate outfits or pallet swaps of everyone's outfits for that bit.

Caladrius

Aw yiss

Move over for Large Marge, plebs.

I hope in P4U2 they have alternate outfits or pallet swaps of everyone's outfits for that bit.

Not gonna happen I'm afraid. They'd have to redraw literally hundreds of sprites. If they ever make a 3D sequel it might happen though.

Setsu00

Wow, that Epilogue was worth going through the game a third time for. Seeing
Kanji
made me laugh hard. I hope in P4U2 they have alternate outfits or pallet swaps of everyone's outfits for that bit.

The epilogue is one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Dancing All Night.

FluxWaveZ

I'm really curious what the production of P4U2 looked like, considering how many characters have been added to the console version. Some of these characters had to have been slated for the original arcade version, possibly even the original P4U.

Perhaps, but, in retrospect, 9 new characters isn't incredibly exceptional. P4AU obviously has a bigger budget than BBCP, with a potentially larger development staff considering the studio collaboration, and that game initially had 7 new characters (ignoring the upcoming update).

P4AU's dev. cycle is about the same as P4A's according to interviews, so the time frame for content matched. From interviews, it's understood that P4A made their methods and goals for P4AU clearer, which evidently facilitated development and content production.

It's likely they took Rise's model from P4A as the basis for P4AU Rise. Excluding her, there were 25 3D models made for playable character representation, according to the P4A art book interview. Following what they said, P4AU would now currently have 19 additional 3D models (including the 3D model for Rise that might have been the one from P4A), which would be in line with other stuff like alt colors, new moves, Shadow characters, glasses, etc.

In any case, a whole lot of effort's been put into the game, which is cool.

Daimaou

Perhaps, but, in retrospect, 9 new characters isn't incredibly exceptional. P4AU obviously has a bigger budget than BBCP, with a potentially larger development staff considering the studio collaboration, and that game initially had 7 new characters (ignoring the upcoming update).

P4AU's dev. cycle is about the same as P4A's according to interviews, so the time frame for content matched. From interviews, it's understood that P4A made their methods and goals for P4AU clearer, which evidently facilitated development and content production.

It's likely they took Rise's model from P4A as the basis for P4AU Rise. Excluding her, there were 25 3D models made for playable character representation, according to the P4A art book interview. Following what they said, P4AU would now currently have 19 additional 3D models (including the 3D model for Rise that might have been the one from P4A), which would be in line with other stuff like alt colors, new moves, Shadow characters, glasses, etc.

In any case, a whole lot of effort's been put into the game, which is cool.

Maybe I'm comparing it too much to BlazBlue, which only added 2-3 new characters per iteration. It just seems like a lot to me for a console port, considering how long sprite based fighting game characters take. (I think SNK said 8 months for one character? Different developer, but it's probably in the ballpark.)

MSMrRound

Persona 4 Ending was around the 21st of March.

P4A took place around the May~June holidays as mentioned "there will be a long break in May, will you come back to see us then?" (or something along those lines)

P4U was said to be taking place a few days after the events of P4A, when red mist started appearing and P3 members were shown being "crucified" on the TV.

P4Dancing is after P4U, but before P4G's new Golden Epilogue.

Original P4 ending->P4A->P4U->P4D->P4GNewEnding

Persona 4 Ending was around the 21st of March.

P4A took place around the May~June holidays as mentioned "there will be a long break in May, will you come back to see us then?" (or something along those lines)

P4U was said to be taking place a few days after the events of P4A, when P3 members showed up on the TV as being "crucified".

P4Dancing is after P4U, but before P4G's new Golden Epilogue.

I thought P4D was post Epilogue? I swear I read that somewhere, but as usual, I could be pulling this from nowhere.

MSMrRound

I thought P4D was post Epilogue? I swear I read that somewhere, but as usual, I could be pulling this from nowhere.

"The summer after solving the Yasoinaba case". Not to mention Rise mainly retain her original style.

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/persona-4-dancing-all-night-story-characters-detailed

Edit: and confirmation P4D is after events in P4U. Maybe that's why Rise's idol outfit was carried over. (Think she was shown wearing it in one of P4U's animated scenes?)

http://gematsu.com/2013/11/persona-4-dancing-all-night-set-after-persona-4-arena-2

But doesnt the epilogue also take place in that summer? P4 ends in March, P4U and P4U2 take place in May, DAN is in 'the summer' and the epilogue is sometime in or after July, which is still summer right?

Timelines hurt my head.

Just watched the epilogue on youtube. There's no date shown in the top right and the time is only defined as 'Summer Vacation'. So who knows?

Mdesilva

I'm sorry, but it really bugs me that people call Ultimax P4U when that's also what a lot of people call the first game (because it's its original name).

I've seen it referred to as P4AU or P4U2 everywhere outside of this thread, so it is indeed odd.

Final character is Nanako with Shadow Nanako being the Malevolent Entity.

Yeah... no.
Margaret's battle theme should be Bond of Everyone's Souls.

Only just heard this. It needs to be SOMEWHERE, dammit!

Ah, you're right. It's Makoto. (P3 spoilers)
*shrug* Still think
the dead man
is more likely than the pacifist.

Top Bottom