• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

arue

I just noticed the character select screen only has one Random slot on the left and there is no Margaret yet. She could fill the one on the left, therefore cutting her portrait, and give the possibility of one more character to be revealed.

Edit: or maybe they will just put another random slot on the right because it's awkward to see one random slot on the left side (instead of placing it in the middle).

Bu1IDPiCYAE5S0z.jpg

https://twitter.com/P4_A/status/499134355927601152

I think that lobby video strongly supports my character select screen layout

No Makoto, not sure if I can trust layout.

Lemstar

I hate this lobby system. I like what it does and allows players to do, but I hate it and its presentation. No thank you habbo hotel Persona.
If it makes you feel any better, despite how excited people were for it before BBCP came out, no one around here actually used it.

FluxWaveZ

The Makoto situation is so weird. Sakuya Shiomi, Minato Arisato, Makoto Yuki... None of these are official in-game names, either, since he's still referred to as "???" in that P4AU Lobby trailer. Would he still be labeled simply as "him" or "leader" when he's inevitably referred to in the P4AU story? One of the most vital characters to the storyline and he doesn't actually have a name, heh...

The Makoto situation is so weird. Sakuya Shiomi, Minato Arisato, Makoto Yuki... None of these are official in-game names, either, since he's still referred to as "???" in that P4AU Lobby trailer. Would he still be labeled simply as "him" or "leader" when he's inevitably referred to in the P4AU story? One of the most vital characters to the storyline and he doesn't actually have a name, heh...

This is exactly what I mean yet Yu has a name... Anyone who's played PQ, is he named on that one if you pick to play as Yu, or do you have to name both protagonists regardless?

This is exactly what I mean yet Yu has a name... Anyone who's played PQ, is he named on that one if you pick to play as Yu, or do you have to name both protagonists regardless?

There was a post in here by Atlas Prime or Nich about how neither of the characters had their actual names in the name generator.

kewlmyc

I don't want him playable, but I was hoping that we would at least get someone in P4AU to refer to the P3MC by name so we can have something to canonically refer to him by. It's really weird how they're avoiding it so much.

NichM

Banned
I don't want him playable, but I was hoping that we would at least get someone in P4AU to refer to the P3MC by name so we can have something to canonically refer to him by. It's really weird how they're avoiding it so much.

I don't think it's that weird. To me, it just suggests that they want to avoid thinking in those terms, which is supported by neither character having a set name in PQ either.

Personally, I think fretting about what is and isn't canon to be unnecessary to one's enjoyment, and suggest that you take away what you want, which is quite easy with the right perspective. My choices of protagonist or social links or endings or names are mine, and that's what make the games special to me, and canon can only overshadow that if I let it.

I don't think it's that weird. To me, it just suggests that they want to avoid thinking in those terms, which is supported by neither character having a set name in PQ either.

Personally, I think fretting about what is and isn't canon to be unnecessary to one's enjoyment, and suggest that you take away what you want, which is quite easy with the right perspective. My choices of protagonist or social links or endings or names are mine, and that's what make the games special to me, and canon can only overshadow that if I let it.

This is very well-said. Gonna bookmark this to reference the next time people use canon as an excuse to why FeMC's route is inferior to her counterpart's.

FluxWaveZ

To me, it's not so much because of canon that I want to hear an actual name spoken if the character were to be referred to occasionally, but it's because I've always disliked having vague terms used for a character everyone knows about. It's like how "Phoenix Wright" is addressed in Ace Attorney Investigations. I just prefer to hear X than "him", "his" or "they" all the time.

I agree in part with what he says but if P4A/P4AU gave a name to the P4MC, it just seems a bit odd to leave the P3MC nameless. I'm not even talking canon or anything here, it's just that he is pretty much the only character left unnamed in the Arena series (if they do decide to go with "???" Or "him" or w.e.)

Yeah, that's probably my main issue summed up. It's a bit jarring, though how much it matters depends on how much he's talked about in the game. If it's just a few lines like P4A, I don't think I would mind it much if his name was left unknown.

kewlmyc

Well said, but it's mostly preference for me. In games like this, I prefer set in stone characters rather than character inserts. Exceptions to this would be games where you can create your own character (eg Elder Scrolls). In games (mostly JRPGs) where you create the name of a character whose appearance you can't change at all and whose personality is already kinda set in stone despite the choices you make, I like seeing those characters as already existing characters rather than a character you created. To me, you really didn't create that character, you just choose their dialogue. That's why I like it when they already have an existing name, like in SMT IV. I feel like I'm in the minority here though.

To me, it's not so much because of canon that I want to hear an actual name spoken if the character were to be referred to occasionally, but it's because I've always disliked having vague terms used for a character everyone knows about. It's like how "Phoenix Wright" is addressed in Ace Attorney Investigations. I just prefer to hear X than "him", "his" or "they" all the time.

I agree in part with what he says but if P4A/P4AU gave a name to the P4MC, it just seems a bit odd to leave the P3MC nameless. I'm not even talking canon or anything here, it's just that he is pretty much the only character left unnamed in the Arena series (if they do decide to go with "???" Or "him" or w.e.)

Also this.

Neither protagonist should have ever been given a canon name. In fact, I think the funniest thing would have been to change Yu's name in P4AU to something else completely just for shits and giggles to screw with the people who want a one true canon.

As far as I'm concerned, Yu Narukami and the like are not canon names. They're retroactive names not present at all in the original games, the ultimate and final arbiters of canon. Them having a single, canon name is a contradiction with the original source in my mind and contradictions to the original source are to be stricken from the record. They're P3MC and P4MC to me forever.

PQ's treatment of their names is the way it should be.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
For some some reason, I always tend to give characters their "canon" names in games when given the option. I prefer to play them as a character rather than as myself because, frankly, I'm not that interesting :p

For some some reason, I always tend to give characters their "canon" names in games when given the option. I prefer to play them as a character rather than as myself because, frankly, I'm not that interesting :p
How would you have played Persona 3 or 4 before the character was ever given a "canon" name? These "Makoto Yuki"s and "Yu Narukami"s did not exist in their original release.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
How would you have played Persona 3 or 4 before the character was ever given a "canon" name? These "Makoto Yuki"s and "Yu Narukami"s did not exist in their original release.

Then I'd just make up a name. It's not really a big deal, but if there's a "canon" name to go by, I'll name the MC as such. It's easier for me to think of the MC as a character if he has a name that actually makes sense in that world, rather than Charlie Tunoku, for instance.

Rhapsody

Banned
If it makes you feel any better, despite how excited people were for it before BBCP came out, no one around here actually used it.

I think this was my go to lobby if I wanted to face people I didn't know. Ranked is dumb and I usually made my regular lobbies set to private for friends.

PK Gaming

Neither protagonist should have ever been given a canon name. In fact, I think the funniest thing would have been to change Yu's name in P4AU to something else completely just for shits and giggles to screw with the people who want a one true canon.

As far as I'm concerned, Yu Narukami and the like are not canon names. They're retroactive names not present at all in the original games, the ultimate and final arbiters of canon. Them having a single, canon name is a contradiction with the original source in my mind and contradictions to the original source are to be stricken from the record. They're P3MC and P4MC to me forever.

PQ's treatment of their names is the way it should be.

j4iEz1kliCA3G.PNG

The end.

Daimaou

I've always thought the name Yu Narukami was pretty clever. It lampshades the fact that the character was your stand in, and is a pun on "thunder god."

They didn't you are right, and no one is saying otherwise, but "Yu Narukami" does exist in the Arena world, and the two games take place after P4, and are canon... But "Makoto Yuki" doesn't get the same treatment, because main characters should remain unnamed?
What ahaha.

Hope you see what I mean by this. I don't really care too much, this is just a game after all, but just for the sake of argument, my point still stands :p

Quick Edit: In the end all this might not even matter since he might not even have a part in the story. I see the 2 PQ characters in the Lobby thing too, and I doubt that those will appear at all.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Quick Edit: In the end all this might not even matter since he might not even have a part in the story. I see the 2 PQ characters in the Lobby thing too, and I doubt that those will appear at all.

I'm very confident that he'll play a role in the story given what we know about the game(partly takes place in Tatsumi Port Island, P3 cast reuniting, Liz's quest). Whether or not he'll actually be present is another matter :p

FluxWaveZ

I know there's been a lot of speculation (and nonsense) relating to whether or not he would be a playable character, but there's just no way he isn't mentioned at all in P4AU, especially considering P4A (and its ending).

Rei and Zen were confirmed several weeks back at the same time Marie was in a Famitsu article, where it was said that P4AU used PQ models for the lobby avatars. A lot of them like Dojima and such are probably in there just for the sake of variety since they were available (pretty much like the P-CARD icons showing off Personas like Castor or Hypnos).

Edit: To be clear, I'm not talking about a physical or visual presence at all. Only (passing) mentions, which I think are inevitable.

I'm very confident that he'll play a role in the story given what we know about the game(partly takes place in Tatsumi Port Island, P3 cast reuniting, Liz's quest). Whether or not he'll actually be present is another matter :p
I know there's been a lot of speculation (and nonsense) relating to whether or not he would be a playable character, but there's just no way he isn't mentioned at all in P4AU, especially considering P4A (and its ending).

You know, you might be right but I'd rather think that he isn't going to show up at all... I would love it if
he got a good ending, by either getting him revived, or simply by letting his soul rest in peace or something. After all those years the poor guy deserves it.
But alas we can't all get what we want, and other may actually have a different view from mine. We shall see what happens!

I already covered this in my post--direct contradiction of the original game as far as I'm concerned, and therefore non-canon in my eyes. Persona 4 itself (and Persona 4 Golden) will always trump spinoffs and goofy adaptations.

k2dHenW.gif

More canon than your example, I'm afraid.

If you're not going to count official game sequels as canon, there's no point in even using the word canon to begin with.
In a continuity that contains Persona Q, Dancing All Night, and Persona x Detective Naoto, I'm not sure if "canon" has much of a meaning here to begin with.

Meia

They themselves opened up the can of worms in the first place.

They decided to do more with the games in different game types which required them to be actual characters, so they needed actual names. This is fine, and it's also fine if they want to go back other game types and not have them have actual names.

But to release a movie based on P3, so something really official, and then not carry that name over into Ultimax is really absurd.

FluxWaveZ

In a continuity that contains Persona Q, Dancing All Night, and Persona x Detective Naoto, I'm not sure if "canon" has much of a meaning here to begin with.

The two former projects have been deemed "canon" by the creators. The latter has not. "Canon" is determined by the creators. One can accept this or not—one's individual preference does not really matter—but that has no effect on the meaning of canon and how the story "officially" unfolds. If the stories were not meant to be logical continuations, they would not have been deemed "canon" from the outset.

Until there are significant contradictions between events in the canon games—of which I don't believe there have been any so far apart from minor things like historical dates (though we'll need to experience PQ, P4AU and P4D to determine this for sure)—it still has meaning.

Setsu00

The two former projects have been deemed "canon" by the creators. The latter has not. "Canon" is determined by the creators. One can accept this or not—one's individual preference does not really matter—but that has no effect on the meaning of canon and how the story "officially" unfolds. If the stories were not meant to be logical continuations, they would not have been deemed "canon" from the outset.

Until there are significant contradictions between events in the canon games—of which I don't believe there have been any so far apart from minor things like historical dates (though we'll need to experience PQ, P4AU and P4D to determine this for sure)—it still has meaning.

Unless explicitly said otherwise I wouldn't question the canon status of PxD. While I know that most people disagree with its content, Hashino said that it was an official novel.

PK Gaming

I already covered this in my post--direct contradiction of the original game as far as I'm concerned, and therefore non-canon in my eyes. Persona 4 itself (and Persona 4 Golden) will always trump spinoffs and goofy adaptations.

k2dHenW.gif

You haven't covered anything. You offered your own interpretation (which you're entitled to) but you're ultimately off base. This isn't even remotely a matter of interpretation; what you're doing is outright ignoring something the Persona canon is completely unambiguous about. Let's get one thing straight here. Persona 4: Arena is not a spinoff; it's a sequel. You can twist it however many number of ways you want, but at the end of the day it's a sequel to Persona 4. The events that take place in Persona 4: Arena are incontrovertible. In that regard, we can reasonably extrapolate that the protagonist is named Yu Narukami. Whether you respect it or not is irrelevant. Also worth considering:

• In the first Persona 4 anime, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the spinoff manga starring Yosuke, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the Persona 4 arena manga, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the crossover game Lord of Vermilion II, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
And in the PQ manga, the P4 protagonist will (presumably) named is named Yu Narukami.

Needless to say, Atlus has more or less adopted Yu Narukami as a "default" name. It's not just for canon, it also has to do with convenience. Robin from Fire Emblem is similar in that regard.

G-Fex

I see neither ignorance nor wisdom. All I see is someone who has read far too much manga for their own good. :p

If you mean the original PS1 version? Depends. There are a lot less save points compared to the PSP version, and the English release screwed up gaining money pretty badly.

Yup. I was supposed to play P3: FES and just upped and went and started with the first PSX version.

Go figure, I like it anyhow.

You haven't covered anything. You offered your own interpretation (which you're entitled to) but you're ultimately off base. This isn't even remotely a matter of interpretation; what you're doing is outright ignoring something the Persona canon is completely unambiguous about. Let's get one thing straight here. Persona 4: Arena is not a spinoff; it's a sequel. You can twist it however many number of ways you, but at the end of the day it's a sequel to Persona 4. The events that take place in Persona 4: Arena are incontrovertible. In that regard, we can reasonably extrapolate that the protagonist is named Yu Narukami. Also worth considering:

• In the first Persona 4 anime, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the spinoff manga starring Yosuke, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the Persona 4 arena manga, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
  • In the crossover game Lord of Vermilion II, the P4 protagonist is named Yu Narukami
And in the PQ manga, the P4 protagonist will (presumably) named is named Yu Narukami.

Needless to say, Atlus has more or less adopted Yu Narukami as a "default" name.
And I don't really care. I never considered it to be anything but my own interpretation. My usage of the word "canon" is probably misplaced, but I personally agree with NichM--take away what you want. You Persona the way you Persona and I'll Persona the way I Persona.

And Persona 4 still trumps all that stuff listed, spinoff, sequel, whatever, as far as I'm concerned (the phrase "as far as I'm concerned" has always been the key phrase here).

Marche90

I prefer the protagonists to receive real names in sequels. I agree with kewlmyc.

Likewise. I never use my real name when naming a protagonist (The only exception to this was Strange Journey, since the character really fitted the bill to be named whatever the hell you wanted) since it's stupidly odd to see a western name in a Japanese game, and I hate to come up with names to name a JRPG protagonist. Thus, a canon name it's always appreciated.

PK Gaming

And I don't really care. I never considered it to be anything but my own interpretation. My usage of the word "canon" is probably misplaced, but I personally agree with NichM--take away what you want. You Persona the way you Persona and I'll Persona the way I Persona.

And Persona 4 still trumps all that stuff listed, spinoff, sequel, whatever, as far as I'm concerned (the phrase "as far as I'm concerned" has always been the key phrase here).

That's fine

I get where you're coming. As far as i'm concerned, Ness from Earthbound will always be "Uri Gellerman" and his smash portrayal absolutely won't change that.

EDIT: You're definitely using the term "canon" wrong. I believe the term you're looking for is "head-canon."

That's fine

I get where you're coming. As far as i'm concerned, Ness from Earthbound will always be "Uri Gellerman" and his smash portrayal absolutely won't change that.

EDIT: You're definitely using the term "canon" wrong. I believe the term you're looking for is "head-canon."
Sure, okay.

But on your Earthbound reference--the name "Ness" actually exists in Earthbound, so I don't know if that's the best example.

Likewise. I never use my real name when naming a protagonist (The only exception to this was Strange Journey, since the character really fitted the bill to be named whatever the hell you wanted) since it's stupidly odd to see a western name in a Japanese game, and I hate to come up with names to name a JRPG protagonist. Thus, a canon name it's always appreciated.
Yep. Funny thing, I used my name in my first playthrough of Persona 3 FES. I didnt know what I'd be playing back then and I didnt know the protagonist had a name. After knowing about their names (official or not) I used Minako Arisato, Makoto Yuki and Yu Narukami and it felt better. It is also better to search images and fanarts of them on the web with a real name.

CorvoSol

I can agree to this. The fact that it took until Dissidia for Yuna to even call Tidus by name was awful. "That guy!" Yes, this is the appropriate method of referring to someone who had a significant impact on your life.

Please don't. You can't be like "Fuck canon" one second and then go "more canon than x" the next.

Let's all not go down the road of levels of canon. We don't need to be the Star Wars fandom in here.

Top Bottom