• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Rhapsody

Banned
Yep. Funny thing, I used my name in my first playthrough of Persona 3 FES. I didnt know what I'd be playing back then and I didnt know the protagonist had a name. After knowing about their names (official or not) I used Minako Arisato, Makoto Yuki and Yu Narukami and it felt better. It is also better to search images and fanarts of them on the web with a real name.

I'll still continue to use my name (even in Golden). Just adds more to the fun in P3 and P4.

I won't be using my name in PQ though.

PK Gaming

Sure, okay.

But on your Earthbound reference--the name "Ness" actually exists in Earthbound, so I don't know if that's the best example.

That's the first time I've heard of that.

In any case, it doesn't really change anything. You name the protagonist. You decide his favorite food. His favorite thing. He's very much whatever you make him out to be. I refuse to acknowledge him as "Ness"

Rhapsody

Banned
That's the first time I've heard of that.

In any case, it doesn't really change anything. You name the protagonist. You decide his favorite food. His favorite thing. He's very much whatever you make him out to be.

If you select "Don't Care" when naming him in Earthbound, Ness is one of the many names given.

How so? That's the first time I've heard of that.

In any case, it doesn't really change anything. You name the protagonist. You decide his favorite food. His favorite thing. He's very much whatever you make him out to be.
In the naming screen if you select "Don't Care" it gives you default names for everything.

I don't think any nameable Smash Bros. character has a given name that doesn't originate with its original game. Villager is just Villager, for instance.

But Smash Bros. is so far removed from Persona 4 Arena in what they're attempting to accomplish that I think this is well off topic.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yu Narukami is the canon name.

His adventure through the Persona 4 timeline is NOT the adventure you/the character you made the hero into took. His story is continued in sequels. He is the default name for the character rather than the definitive name.

I have no idea how this can be debated otherwise.

arue

There is no canon name for P3MC for me. However, Makoto Yuki is an androgynous name, so referring him as Makoto is almost the same as acknowledging the existence of FeMC. Therefore, it makes sense for people to call him Makoto for the time being until Atlus decides to give him a canon name (that is, if they ever come up with one).

Even after I said all that, I still prefer Minato Arisato because Minato sounds better as a first name than Makoto.

LX_Theo

Banned
Then what good is canon if it can't contain the actual game people played and their experiences?

For related media to base it off of. Stuff like Arena and the anime, and such. Canon just means canon. Doesn't have to lessen the experience you had.

In a game that can vary as much in experiences as Persona 4, you sort of have to.

PK Gaming

In the naming screen if you select "Don't Care" it gives you default names for everything.

I don't think any nameable Smash Bros. character has a given name that doesn't originate with its original game. Villager is just Villager, for instance.

But Smash Bros. is so far removed from Persona 4 Arena in what they're attempting to accomplish that I think this is well off topic.

Ness is just one of the many usable names in Earthbound. I'd stress that my example is still valid. "Ness" isn't a character. He's ephemeral. Nothing & everything at the same time. My Earthbound is different from your Earthbound.

MSMrRound

Hey PGaf what's goin-

Grandpa_bfaf78_777622.gif

Ness is just one of the many usable names in Earthbound. I'd stress that my example is still valid. "Ness" isn't a character. He's ephemeral. Nothing & everything at the same time. My Earthbound is different from your Earthbound.
I would argue it isn't, as the name Ness is actually present in Earthbound and the character is referred to as such in the manual. The name "Yu Narukami" did not exist period at Persona 4's release and is also explicitly missing from later released games that allow you to name him (Persona 4 Golden and Persona Q). And Ness is an everything and nothing. He's less a character than the Persona main characters even. But I thank you for remembering (or looking up) my phrases from our old arguments!

Makoto
may not be playable in P4U2, but look at the bright side you can use him as an avatar in the lobby.
Yeah this is worst than death.

PK Gaming

I would argue it isn't, as the name Ness is actually present in Earthbound and the character is referred to as such in the manual. The name "Yu Narukami" did not exist period at Persona 4's release and is also explicitly missing from later released games that allow you to name him (Persona 4 Golden and Persona Q). And Ness is an everything and nothing. He's less a character than the Persona main characters even. But I thank you for remembering (or looking up) my phrases from our old arguments!

To be honest, I've been taking the piss out of your argument the entire time.

But wow, that's all it takes for you to consider a name canon? So a name like Yu Narukami isn't applicable despite appearing in a canon sequel, but a name likes Ness is, just because it's a default name? Never mind the fact that it was a mere coincidence that Earthbound included a default name generator. If Earthbound didn't have a default name generator, would you reject the name "Ness" from Smash too?

Honestly, i'm floored.

EDIT: C'était mon plaisir

To be honest, I've been taking the piss out of your argument the entire time.

But wow, that's all it takes for you to consider a name canon? So a name like Yu Narukami isn't applicable despite appearing in a canon sequel, but a name likes Ness is, just because it's a default name? Never mind the fact that it was a mere coincidence that Earthbound included a default name generator. If Earthbound didn't have a default name generator, would you reject the name "Ness" from Smash too?

Honestly, i'm floored.
Hm, yeah, that sounds about right. Not sure why it's such a big deal?

Onto Smash (again?), I'm not sure that he would have been named at all in Smash had he not been given a name in Earthbound. But again--Smash is very far removed from Persona 4 Arena in what they are trying to do. Smash is a silly crossover game between a myriad of unrelated series and Persona 4 Arena is a story based fighting game that crosses two games from the same series together. Smash's liberties don't really bother me much at all.

In the end, it's really just my silly preference. Who cares? Outside of me?

Playable ??? confirmed (not in that way, though).
Awesome! I'm glad that him and
Shinjiro
are included. Also, I loveeeee that they included Dojima, Human Teddie, Theodore and P3 cast in P3 outfits, Now pretty much every major character from P3 and P4 cept' for Ikutsuki, Strega, Metis and Igor is included.
I hate this lobby system. I like what it does and allows players to do, but I hate it and its presentation. No thank you habbo hotel Persona.
Is it because it uses PQ designs?
This is exactly what I mean yet Yu has a name...
Anyone who's played PQ, is he named on that one if you pick to play as Yu, or do you have to name both protagonists regardless?
You get to choose each protagonist's name in both sides. And that's awesome because I have two names so in P3 I named my character Miguel (first surname) and in P4 Angel (second surname), so I can name both like that in PQ! MY CANON ADVENTURE LIVES ON!
Honestly does the protagonist's name even matter? lol
Do our names matter
:p

Instead of the whole name issue, I'm more bothered by P4MC's personality in Arena (and somewhat the first anime). because I didn't even acted liked that in my P4 adventure. Him teasing/declining the offer of Teddie's tournament/making fun of is something I didn't seem him acting like that. If anything, I think his attitude and personality in the P4G anime is pretty spot-on (except for depending on Marie or leaving Yosuke at the phone lol)

FluxWaveZ

The weekly Persona Q update was made a day early on March 20 (Thursday instead of a Friday) because Friday was a holiday: Vernal Equinox Day. Same thing might have happened with the P4AU update, so we might in fact not get anything else until the 21st. Sucks. At least there's the daily countdown...?

Oh my gosh Nanacho, dude you gotta keep doing those.
The weekly Persona Q update was made a day early on March 20 (Thursday instead of a Friday) because Friday was a holiday: Vernal Equinox Day. Same thing might have happened with the P4AU update, so we might in fact not get anything else until the 21st. Sucks. At least there's the daily countdown...?
Not related but, we never got PQ characters' second trailers, right' They still have those "Coming Soon", huh. I wonder what they are/were about.

Be sure to bring a Persona of the Hermit arcana along while Social Linking with me for maximum affection boost.

Sounds good. Remember if you get to level 10, i'll invite you back to my room.

hqdefault.jpg

I actually drew this last week, but never got a chance to scan it. Done in ink.

Now no one can say I've never done anything for Rise.
That is if anyone actually said that...

Very nice dude. Please edit that pic on to the NES boxart of Super Mario 3 :p

arue

That looks oddly familiar...
jLAOxm0.jpg

Oh wait.

Anyways, good job on the drawing! I would have struggled with the perspective if I had to draw something like that.

CorvoSol

I would play Super Rise Sisters 3.

Dammit Chet, get a job at ATLUS and start making me these games you keep teasing me with, already.

Dantis

The two former projects have been deemed "canon" by the creators. The latter has not. "Canon" is determined by the creators. One can accept this or not—one's individual preference does not really matter—but that has no effect on the meaning of canon and how the story "officially" unfolds. If the stories were not meant to be logical continuations, they would not have been deemed "canon" from the outset.

Until there are significant contradictions between events in the canon games—of which I don't believe there have been any so far apart from minor things like historical dates (though we'll need to experience PQ, P4AU and P4D to determine this for sure)—it still has meaning.

Worth pointing out that Atlus have never used the word canon to refer to anything.

All they said is that it's a proper sequel and a continuation of the storyline (and no that isn't an exact quote, so please don't point that out. :p).

I don't think it's that weird. To me, it just suggests that they want to avoid thinking in those terms, which is supported by neither character having a set name in PQ either.

Personally, I think fretting about what is and isn't canon to be unnecessary to one's enjoyment, and suggest that you take away what you want, which is quite easy with the right perspective. My choices of protagonist or social links or endings or names are mine, and that's what make the games special to me, and canon can only overshadow that if I let it.

To a point, I'd agree, but I also feel like respecting canon is important, and pulling crazy things with the canon (as Persona has done) can be frustrating for fans.

Let's say I finished Persona 3, and I decided that, in my head, Akihiko became a policeman and married Mitsuru, and they lived happily ever after. Arena then comes out after this and says that actually Mitsuru became all kinds of weird and Akihiko became a wandering wild man. I can pretend otherwise, but really, I'd know it isn't true. So the only solution is to not do it.

But then, of course, you're ruling out sequels. And whilst they could keep the characters on a more similar path to Persona 3 to keep fans like me happy, there're probably some fans out there who figure that this is exactly where Mitsuru and Akihiko would go in life.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you can't please any of the people any of the time, and so nobody should make anything.

FluxWaveZ

Worth pointing out that Atlus have never used the word canon to refer to anything.

All they said is that it's a proper sequel and a continuation of the storyline (and no that isn't an exact quote, so please don't point that out. :p).

Is this really the level of semantics we're going down? And did an Atlus USA representative never say that Persona Q is canon? What about Wada saying Persona 4 Arena was canon? Where did you even come up with this apparent fact that they never stated these games were canon and that, apparently, everyone else assumed they were?

I have the same views as Green Mamba.

Likewise. I never use my real name when naming a protagonist (The only exception to this was Strange Journey, since the character really fitted the bill to be named whatever the hell you wanted) since it's stupidly odd to see a western name in a Japanese game, and I hate to come up with names to name a JRPG protagonist. Thus, a canon name it's always appreciated.

I wonder if Japanese players feel the same.

Dantis

Is this really the level of semantics we're going down? And did an Atlus USA representative never say that Persona Q is canon?

I guess semantics only work when they play to your favour? :p

But seriously, the difference between "the story is acknowledged for this and hasn't been for this" and "This has been confirmed as canon whilst this hasn't been acknowledged at all" is actually a thing.

PK Gaming

Holy shit, Dantis you ship Mitsuru and Akihiko too?!?

Wow, that's the best drawing I never knew I needed. Would it be possible... for you to... fully color it? If that's not too much to ask...

Let's say I finished Persona 3, and I decided that, in my head, Akihiko became a policeman and married Mitsuru, and they lived happily ever after. Arena then comes out after this and says that actually Mitsuru became all kinds of weird and Akihiko became a wandering wild man. I can pretend otherwise, but really, I'd know it isn't true. So the only solution is to not do it.

So... we shouldn't have sequels because it would ruin fanfics? (don't get mad on me, I'm not judging anything, just questioning lol)

Dantis

Is this really the level of semantics we're going down? And did an Atlus USA representative never say that Persona Q is canon? What about Wada saying Persona 4 Arena was canon? Where did you even come up with this apparent fact that they never stated these games were canon and that, apparently, everyone else assumed they were?

I guess you can only ignore facts when they don't play to your favour? :p

I love you, Flux.

Never change!

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, I actually do think that Arena is canon. I also think that PQ, P4D and PxD are canon. Because we haven't been told otherwise. I think the Persona canon is a mess and I think that Atlus don't care because they just want to have fun with their franchise.

So... we shouldn't have sequels because it would ruin fanfics? (don't get mad on me, I'm not judging anything, just questioning lol)

I'd throw something at you if we were in the same room right now.

The short answer is no.

FluxWaveZ

I love you, Flux.

Never change!

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, I actually do think that Arena is canon. I also think that PQ, P4D and PxD are canon. Because we haven't been told otherwise. I think the Persona canon is a mess and I think that Atlus don't care because they just want to have fun with their franchise.

- You claim that Atlus never stated that the games are canon as some kind of rebuttal to what I had said hours before.
- I prove that they did.
- You then change the premise of what you were stating as "fact" (which was false) and somehow place the blame on me.

Wow, dude.

Holy shit, Dantis you ship Mitsuru and Akihiko too?!?
I dunno if you're joking, but I do. I remember the first time I player P3 I was like "ohmygosh stop talking about that Akihiko dude LOOK AT ME" but over the course of the game their interactions are one of the best (I think that in the beach trip to Yakushima when Junpei asks him which girl is his type he says Mitsuru, or at least is pretty obvious). I also liked that in the first levels of Mitsuru's social link she keeps mentioning him until you ask her if she likes him or something. Plus they are so weird in Arena that they deserve each other.

I was trying to be facetious.
Hey, hum, Green Mamba, what's your opinion about Rise getting her Persona to change form to battle, using a mic as her weapon and Marie getting a Persona just so she can be DLC playable? I know you don't like changes from the original game in spinoffs, and I enjoy reading what you have to say about it.

(I think that in the beach trip to Yakushima when Junpei asks him which girl is his type he says Mitsuru, or at least is pretty obvious)

Actually, he doesn't ask Akihiko, only Makoto. Neither Junpei or Akihiko says which one they prefer.

I see what you guys are doing... You guys prefer Yuka-tan with Makoto.. then you are pushing Mitsuru-senpai to Akihiko so she couldn't threaten the relationship. lol
Akihiko is friendzoned, never gonna happen lol

PK Gaming

I dunno if you're joking, but I do. I remember the first time I player P3 I was like "ohmygosh stop talking about that Akihiko dude LOOK AT ME" but over the course of the game their interactions are one of the best (I think that in the beach trip to Yakushima when Junpei asks him which girl is his type he says Mitsuru, or at least is pretty obvious). I also liked that in the first levels of Mitsuru's social link she keeps mentioning him until you ask her if she likes him or something. Plus they are so weird in Arena that they deserve each other.

They have good chemistry with each other, but I never wanted their relationship to be anything but platonic.

Andriasang paraphrased. The interview never says canon.

Wow, dude.

Considering Wada was the chief game designer behind P3 & P4, does it really need to? It's implicit.

Dantis

Canon might be the worst term ever.

I honestly think that it's best to assume that everything with P-Team involvement is canon unless they state otherwise. If that bothers you, you'll have to block it out, like Nich said.

Considering Wada was the chief game designer behind P3 & P4, does it really need to? It's implicit.

Kind of, seeing as that's what the argument hinges on?

I'm not arguing that Arena is or isn't canon.

Top Bottom