• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

pan-hime

screenlg12.jpg

— 360 marketplace page
Pfffffff, nice.
Does anyone know who runs the Minato Arisato account on Youtube? It's someone on here, right?
it's MysticDistance

No, no, no, you guys don't get it at all.

Dragons are cool, but what's even better is the ability to literally intensify the rays of the Sun itself. FluxWaveY isn't just cool. It transcends cool.

To be honest, I don't know what are you guys talking about. I just think "X" sounds and looks better than "Y". lol

Without further ado, here's what I jokingly called Seeker of Truth - Secret mix -.

I like Naoto.

This is so good! Excellent mixture of the two, and you actually made secret base sound better.

This made me think about Naoto, because as much as I love her character and design, a lot of the things that you secondarily associate with her are kinda poor.

Don't get me wrong, character design, personae, VA, story involvement, all A+ stuff. But her dungeon, theme, boss fight, that God damn light novel, all pretty shoddy in my opinion.

All the characters have these polarising elements to them in some way, hers just stand out more to me because of how much I hate her dungeon.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Dantis

This is so good! Excellent mixture of the two, and you actually made secret base sound better.

This made me think about Naoto, because as much as I love her character and design, a lot of the things that you secondarily associate with her are kinda poor.

Don't get me wrong, character design, personae, VA, story involvement, all A+ stuff. But her dungeon, theme, boss fight, that God damn light novel, all pretty shoddy in my opinion.

All the characters have these polarising elements to them in some way, hers just stand out more to me because of how much I hate her dungeon.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Secret Base is my favourite dungeon theme after Corridor and Heaven, and I like the dungeon itself for its simplicity.

And at least PxD gave us long haired Naoto.

arue

This Naoto Week was the perfect excuse to finally do something I've been wanting to do for a while. I may not be good at drawing, but there's something I am
kind of
good at: music.

I took Seeker of Truth and Secret Base and combined them into one song. There are some more details about what I tried to do in the description in the link, but let me tell you something: those songs are way too different. It was interesting to do this because I discovered things about those songs I wasn't aware of (mostly regarding Secret Base). No wonder some people even though Seeker of Truth and Missions for the Brilliant Executor were different versions of the same song. Kitajoh needs to have some more rhythm variation. That would improve his songs a lot, and that's why I changed the drums in Seeker of Truth.

Anyway, it took me four days to do this. Four days of listening to the same song over and over and over and over again. I tried my best to make it sound good (considering that it's all made with sintesized sounds
and I suck at mixing
), so please be excited.

Without further ado, here's what I jokingly called Seeker of Truth - Secret mix -.

I like Naoto.

I like the part where Secret Base comes during the second half of the music; it blends really well with Seeker of Truth. And this took you four days? You're so dedicated :O
Also, we need more Naoto week stuff. COME ON GUYS GET IT TOGETHER.
This. We need more Naoto stuff.
Let's just say that you should keep an eye on my Twitter or Tumblr over the next few hours then!

It's not the bunny suit picture, don't get excited.
Heh I saw a Naoto drawing on your twitter. I don't know if it's the one you're talking about though.

We can all agree that Chie has the best Ultimate/Third Persona, right?

Chie doesn't have the paragon of manliness that is TAKEJI ZAITEN, so no.

Guys, guys! I think we're all forgetting something here.

Just kidding, this is the dumbest thing ever. Suits teddie, really.

Honestly, the only third-tier I didn't like was Kozeon. Just looked samey compared to the rest.
Sumeo's design was kind of gaudy, but not too bad in practice.

Dantis

I like the part where Secret Base comes during the second half of the music; it blends really well with Seeker of Truth. And this took you four days? You're so dedicated :O

This. We need more Naoto stuff.

Heh I saw a Naoto drawing on your twitter. I don't know if it's the one you're talking about though.

Yup, that's the one! :p

We can all agree that Chie has the best Ultimate/Third Persona, right?

Holy crap, how have I not seen this until now? Somehow I saw all the third-tiers, apart from Chie's and Yukiko's as I just now realized. Totally agree with abrack; best party member persona design ever.

Sorry, was at work. Now I can answer.
Thanks for the answer! I agree with most of the points you made, that was a good read.
When I played through the Japanese P4G, I found him genuinely charming and funny.
I agree, I think the same of JP Teddie. He does manages to sound cute to me. :p
FUNKY STUDENT!!
Also I really like this pic:
Finishing the other half of Arena's stories, and I've just done Naoto's, and now I'm sad that her actress has changed.
I thought you disliked that in Arena she sounded more feminine or something like that?

Sophia

Can't I just pop my collar and call it day?

That depends. There aren't a whole lot of people who can rock a collar and have it come off as awesome either.

Or in simple terms: How Yu Narukami never had any apparent friends before Inaba is beyond me. Because he's certainly not lacking in charm and awesomeness.

Her fingers are bullets, her eyes are sights;The Heartless Armed Angel

lol don't kill me

Come now, if I was truly heartless would I have replied to Dantis as I had? :D

Firestar

This Naoto Week was the perfect excuse to finally do something I've been wanting to do for a while. I may not be good at drawing, but there's something I am
kind of
good at: music.

I took Seeker of Truth and Secret Base and combined them into one song. There are some more details about what I tried to do in the description in the link, but let me tell you something: those songs are way too different. It was interesting to do this because I discovered things about those songs I wasn't aware of (mostly regarding Secret Base). No wonder some people even though Seeker of Truth and Missions for the Brilliant Executor were different versions of the same song. Kitajoh needs to have some more rhythm variation. That would improve his songs a lot, and that's why I changed the drums in Seeker of Truth.

Anyway, it took me four days to do this. Four days of listening to the same song over and over and over and over again. I tried my best to make it sound good (considering that it's all made with sintesized sounds
and I suck at mixing
), so please be excited.

I like Naoto.

This is really awesome, love it. Best part is like 60% into it

Dantis

I agree, I think the same of JP Teddie. He does manages to sound cute to me. :p

Let's not use the C word.

I thought you disliked that in Arena she sounded more feminine or something like that?

Nooooooooo. I like her talking like a girl more than when she puts on a deep voice. My exact concern regarding the new VA is that I think she'll just do the 'Naoto trying to sound adult' voice and not her 'normal' tone which is used at the end of P4 and all of Arena.

A fan favourite and, now I think of it, obvious food choice:

Oz5qO4Q.gif

/dead

Dantis

I realised when I was playing Arena earlier, that Naoto is one of the characters whose personality is consistent with where she ends Persona 4 at. Some of the scenes for her are written really well and make me once again wish that she didn't only show up in the very back end of the game. The scene with Kanji where he's telling her to speak more relaxed and less uptight is actually a really good scene.

I didn't remember a lot of the smaller scenes like that, probably because I was watching all the stories on Youtube and was still incredibly angry about, well, everything.

Oops, Atlus accidentally used Shadow Yu's art for Yu's video

rzQp54S.jpg

That's pretty funny.

Sophia

I realised when I was playing Arena earlier, that Naoto is one of the characters whose personality is consistent with where she ends Persona 4 at. Some of the scenes for her are written really well and make me once again wish that she didn't only show up in the very back end of the game. The scene with Kanji where he's telling her to speak more relaxed and less uptight is actually a really good scene.

I didn't remember a lot of the smaller scenes like that, probably because I was watching all the stories on Youtube and was still incredibly angry about, well, everything.

The game has lots of good scenes like that. Unless you're playing Yukiko's story mode. >_>;

CorvoSol

The Persona 1 Manga is really, really good, you guys. I want you to bear that in mind while you read this. I mean, in addition to being a great adaptation of the original Persona (you really get a chance to get to know every one of the party members
except, perhaps, Yukino and Yuka, who don't take part in most of the manga's plot, but that can be argued
), it's also a great expansion of it. You get to know things that the game doesn't cover, like why the loss of Yamaoka hurts Nanjo so deeply, and just how strong Mark's feelings for Maki are.

In addition to that, it makes some great little tweaks along the way. One of these tweaks is to basically throw a silly little tangle of romances into the midst of the group dynamic. Elly likes Naoya and so does Maki. But Mark also likes Maki and Brown also likes Elly. And because Nanjo is Batman he somehow just sort of avoids the whole thing. The hero himself is actually a great little addition, too. I know tensions are what they are here in PersonaGAF about "canon heroes" but I think it's kind of fun to see what the writer's version of the character is for their play-through, so to speak. Seeing other people's interpretations of the hero is part of the fun of Persona for me, I guess. Naoya is neat because he contrasts with all of the other protagonists in the series. Which is funny because aside from Tatsuya, Maya and arguably FeMC, all of the "official" interpretations of MCs have played into that whole not-very talkative thing. But Naoya differs from say, Yu, in that he's nowhere near as goofy yet he also differs from Makoto in that he isn't as closed off. He isn't that exaggerated, emotional presence of a brick. He seems more like he just has a tendency to get lost in thought, and he definitely isn't as unsociable.

The manga is also able to go to some pretty damn twisted places. More so than even the game. This latest chapter I read showed Mai's forest as a sort of world of fear in which everybody's worst fears kinda came out to get them.
Seeing a mother try to choke a kid to death was pretty fucked up, and Chisato's straight up attempted suicide before that was pretty nuts, too.

At the same time, I appreciate the light-hearted stuff going on, too. The group seems to dick around as much as you might expect teenagers to do. I was a little thrown off when they paused for a trip to a public (and functional!) bath, yet fan-service amounted to probably less than a beach episode's worth. And I don't mean that in a bad way, either. It was surprising to see it done with so much restraint.

Okay, so now I've given you all a more or less serious talk about what's going on with it, right? Throw that out and indulge with me in the really, really insane shit that happens in one of the last chapters I read:

The main character has an identical twin brother who comes back from the dead and makes out with Elly in order to show that he's switched sides and also to heal her from the mute status effect.

I am not making that up.

Why? Because fuck you, canon, my ship will find a way, dammit.

Dammit MudoSkills, you did it once again! You're my food hero.
Let's not use the C word.
CHIE CHIE CHIE CHIE CHIE
Nooooooooo. I like her talking like a girl more than when she puts on a deep voice. My exact concern regarding the new VA is that I think she'll just do the 'Naoto trying to sound adult' voice and not her 'normal' tone which is used at the end of P4 and all of Arena.
Ah I see, must have mixed it up. And once again, agreed with you.
Oops, Atlus accidentally used Shadow Yu's art for Yu's video

rzQp54S.jpg
Accidentally? What if this entire time Shadow Yu has been posing as the real Yu since he had that dream at the beginning of the game, huh? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT NAOTO?!

Top Bottom