• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

kewlmyc

So in short, It's Johnny, (not Joseph, Josuke or Jolyne) that should be the Persona 5 protagonist.

mopcTyY.gif

Squire

Banned
Crazy that some series are already getting around to re-releases of their fifth entry while Atlus won't even talk about theirs.

I'm just posting because some of you like AA.

CorvoSol

Crazy that some series are already getting around to re-releases of their fifth entry while Atlus won't even talk about theirs.

I'm just posting because some of you like AA.

You don't know rereleases until you're FF1 or FF4. Any time Square hears of a new machine being made they port it to that. When time travel becomes available, they will port FF1 to the time machine and FF4 to Gutenberg's press.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I don’t need much, just give some character/concept art for P5 and I’ll be happy. Really hoping to see something at TGS, but I was in the group of people here who thought we might see The Last Guardian at this year’s E3…

I also quickly wanted to thank people for being supportive of this weird Persona character/food thing that’s been happening. Wasn’t sure anybody would find Piegis funny, but I’m glad you did, and some of the suggestions you’ve collectively been coming out with have been fantastic. It’s just that certain ideas (Nanacho, Adacheese) are easier for me to translate into a picture (each one takes between 4 and 6 hours to complete).

Meia

You don't know rereleases until you're FF1 or FF4. Any time Square hears of a new machine being made they port it to that. When time travel becomes available, they will port FF1 to the time machine and FF4 to Gutenberg's press.

Words can't describe the amount of salt flowing through my veins after how great the remake of FFIV was and them stopping before the greatest game in the series, FFVI. And THEN to release a very shitty iOS port instead....

Marche90

Ive always thought that because Dingo's biggest release (Love live) is on the 28th August so we won't see anything till after that. TGS is almost 3 weeks into September so that could be the ideal place to showcase new content.

Speaking of which... only less than 20 songs in the games. The worst part of all is that there are three versions of the game and each one has a few different songs

One game for the price of three
*facepalm*

I just hope they don't do something as stupid again.

Dantis

Have an incredibly rough sketch of Narukami and Naoto dressed as Link and Linkle.

EDIT: Yikes, just saw this in the PQ thread:
The banter is nice but I'm kind of getting tired of the characters being reduced to caricatures of themselves. I feel like Teddie hasn't had a single conversation that didn't involve hitting on the girls since I started playing.

I mean, it was to be expected, but it's still disappointing.

To be fair, Teddie always behaves like that.
(apart from when he had his identity crisis in P4)

Dave, Dantis, have you guys purchased Eurogamer tickets already?

Meia

Have an incredibly rough sketch of Narukami and Naoto dressed as Link and Linkle.

Well, we do also have to remember what time of year the game snaps people out of, so it makes sense for at least Teddie's interactions to be almost all this, right? I mean, it's Teddie, and he just got the girls of Persona 3 in their prime dropped onto his lap. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't Teddie to the Nth degree. :p

Now, if I hear it's more like Arena with Chie non-stop mentioning steak or Yukiko and cooking, then I'd be worried. The more I listen to the OST, and then to know what the game is, this seems more like a good-bye to both casts before we move onto Persona 5(which I personally think is why we've seen nothing about it really yet). If they really just have the characters be nothing but caricatures of themselves, it would really be a pretty big disservice, so I really hope it's not that. :(

PK Gaming

From what I've read, Teddie is whatever but the rest of the characters are honesstly pretty good. Teddie gets a bit better later on when he takes the hint, but he's not all that different from his P4 incarnation.

Nice drawing btw.

Dantis

I assumed everyone was aware of this. The whole game comes of as a caricature.

Anyways, fuck 3DS

Indeed. Now somebody else has posted this:

It's like this the whole game and why I skipped a lot of the dialogue after a while. Only Rei/Zen have actual plot/character development and Kanji/Ken have a little too. Everyone else is just there to shout out their trope line.

I'm holding out hope that it's not true, but I am getting less confident.

To be fair, Teddie always behaves like that.
(apart from when he had his identity crisis in P4)

Dave, Dantis, have you guys purchased Eurogamer tickets already?

I don't think I'm going, tbh. I'm not sure there's anything on that I really want to play.

I don't think I'm going, tbh. I'm not sure there's anything on that I really want to play.

Yeah, i agree. Im hoping they have more to offer come September.

Some guy on my friends list. I went through it the other day and saw someone with the name as you. that's all.

Ha, Lelouch is fairly popular, so that's no surprise. Whenever I get a PS4, ill probably have a gamertag that closely resembles my Gaf name.

Dantis

Its quite far from you too right? I would probably say its not worth it too. I'm only 15 minutes away by trainso its nit that much hassle for me.

Very far. I'm already planning to go up to London in October as it is to see Poets of The Fall.

I'd probably go if PQ was there though. :p

Lunar15

Never heard of Yankii before, sadly it seems more delinquent than what I was hoping when you said punk.

Now I want it to be based around the more 70's punk. Would be right up my alley.

Well, Yankii is a term that has been around forever in japan, it pretty much refers to the punk/gang culture of japan's youth, even the whole "big hair" 70's japan motorcycle punk stuff. It has just kind of emerged as a more mainstream pop culture movement in recent years due to several factors. Much like rap has gone from something that was a little more underground to very a very pervasive culture/genre.

But yeah, chains were very present in all of that intro teaser. You know who wears big chains? Jotaro Kujo. Sorry PK, the next protagonist is going to be Jotaro. A tough looking guy who acts like he doesn't care about the people around him but really actually is very caring and observant.

I don’t need much, just give some character/concept art for P5 and I’ll be happy. Really hoping to see something at TGS, but I was in the group of people here who thought we might see The Last Guardian at this year’s E3…

I also quickly wanted to thank people for being supportive of this weird Persona character/food thing that’s been happening. Wasn’t sure anybody would find Piegis funny, but I’m glad you did, and some of the suggestions you’ve collectively been coming out with have been fantastic. It’s just that certain ideas (Nanacho, Adacheese) are easier for me to translate into a picture (each one takes between 4 and 6 hours to complete).

The Last Guardian and Persona 5 at TGS.....BELIE- I can't take this anymore.

I do believe that the next time we hear about Persona 5 it be a full reveal though. Gameplay, characters, release date etc.

PK Gaming

Well, Yankii is a term that has been around forever in japan, it pretty much refers to the punk/gang culture of japan's youth, even the whole "big hair" 70's japan motorcycle punk stuff. It has just kind of emerged as a more mainstream pop culture movement in recent years due to several factors. Much like rap has gone from something that was a little more underground to very a very pervasive culture/genre.

But yeah, chains were very present in all of that intro teaser. You know who wears big chains? Jotaro Kujo. Sorry PK, the next protagonist is going to be Jotaro. A tough looking guy who acts like he doesn't care about the people around him but really actually is very caring and observant.

Real talk: I would be ecstatic if Persona 5 protagonist was even remotely similar to the character concept you laid out in your previous post.

See, I was thinking more this;

Some of the aspects to the Yankii style reminds me of old 1950's Teddy boys. Especially that hair.

If P5 turns out to be based around this Yankii culture, I'd be quite excited.

Lunar15

Real talk: I would be ecstatic if Persona 5 protagonist was even remotely similar to the character concept you laid out in your previous post.

And I'd be ecstatic if it was a character like Johnny. He's the second best Jojo.
I love Joseph too much.

PK Gaming

And I'd be ecstatic if it was a character like Johnny. He's the second best Jojo.
I love Joseph too much.

I'm surprised you ended finishing part 7 before me! I seem to remember you getting into JoJo a bit after I did (then again, I took forever to get through the later parts, haha). And yeah a P5 protagonist that actually goes through character development would rock.

I'll never forget Joseph Joestar. He was my first JoJo love.

If Persona actually becomes JoJo's, I quit life.

tumblr_inline_n1cjxjHZF81qhpegf.png

?!?!

Rhapsody

Banned

SMT1 and 2 re-releases aren't that far off either iirc

Sophia

This is the worst post in this thread/forum.

As far as I'm aware JoJo's inspired the creators with a way to "matarelise" the Carl Jung theme.

If you don't believe me, go look at the poses everyone makes when they summon a Persona in the first game!

It was always Jojo. :p

PK Gaming

This is the worst post in this thread/forum.

As far as I'm aware JoJo's inspired the creators with a way to "matarelise" the Carl Jung theme.
jIDWFkFOmwYLP.jpg

This should probably go without saying, but you shouldn't take any of the things we're saying at face value. Persona doesn't literally equal JoJo, but it draws a lot of inspiration from the stand concept. So much so that the developers decided to make an super overt (yet awesome) JoJo reference PQ. That should mean something.

Oh and Part IV and Persona 4 are pretty much the same thing.

If you don't believe me, go look at the poses everyone makes when they summon a Persona in the first game!

It was always Jojo. :p

Im used to poses like that so I don't associate them, even if the chances of their inclusioniis 'cos of JoJo's is near 100%. Might say its picky but I lived with 3 fashion photographers for almost 4 years while at Uni. Camp poses everywhere.

P.S stop ruining Persona for me ;_;

This should probably go without saying, but you shouldn't take any of the things we're saying at face value. Persona doesn't literally equal JoJo, but it draws a lot of inspiration from the stand concept. So much so that the developers decided to make an super overt (yet awesome) JoJo reference PQ. That should mean something.

Oh and Part IV and Persona 4 are pretty much the same thing.

I'm only joking about it too.

While I do hate Jojo's I'm not stupid enough to let something like that ruin a franchise I love. We've had these conversations numerous times in IRC..

So much so that the developers decided to make an super overt (yet awesome) JoJo reference PQ. That should mean something.

Or you know, it's just 'cos it's super popular at the moment.

What's wrong with Jojo inspiration though? A lot of Japanese stuff link back to JJBA.

I don't like the source material, well, what I've read/watched of it.

Lunar15

Im used to poses like that so I don't associate them, even if the chances of their inclusioniis 'cos of JoJo's is near 100%. Might say its picky but I lived with 3 fashion photographers for almost 4 years while at Uni. Camp poses everywhere.

P.S stop ruining Persona for me ;_;

Well, it's also all the tarot card references and the small town mystery stuff of P4, not just the poses in PQ. That's just the most obvious reference so far. It's clear that Jojo was a gigantic influence on the series.

However, they've also called out stuff like twin peaks as being inspirational as well. It's definitely its own thing at this point.

EDIT: nvm, you answered my question.

Lunar15

Tarot cards being associated with Carl Jung's work is a very common theme too, He even mentioned tarot cards in his work a few times.

I do not. Though people keep telling me to read a certain part, because it gets good there or something.

While I agree that we should keep jojo's references to a minimum in this thread, I do have to ask: did you get to part 2?

Can you name a bunch of recent games that made a huge, in your face reference to JoJo?

If I wasn't told I would never of assumed that the PQ cutscene was a JoJo's reference.

Though if I had to guess I would say being a huge Japanese franchise and the only 2 big Japanese games I can think of at the moment that are relatively recent are Danganronpa and Akibas Trip, I would almost bet money that both these games have Jojo references.

How in your face they are you'll need to ask someone who knows what they are looking for.

While I agree that we should keep jojo's references to a minimum in this thread, I do have to ask: did you get to part 2?

I did, I've read up to the end of part 2 which is when I stopped and started watching the 2012 series and the current part 3 one. For all the hate I give it, Joseph was alright.

Mdesilva

For as much as people complain about excessive talk about Danganronpa and JoJo's in the thread, if you're a Persona fan who hasn't checked either series out, you owe it to yourself to. In a lot of ways, they really cater to people who like Persona, which is a lot of why so many of us like them.

Top Bottom