• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

The
need for the realization that you can't change the past and that you need to learn to move on
is a big enough reason for me to give Elizabeth the
Fool arcana
. It would also tie in nicely with
her previous arcana

Hm, well reading the Wikipedia page on
The Fool, I suppose the journey could simply be in terms of gaining wisdom, which Liz would achieve by her various interactions with others. Doesn't seem right, though, and I don't mean because Makoto isn't part of the equation.

That said, Elizabeth is probably the person most fitting of "The Fool" yet. I like this line: "[The Fool] is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly oblivious that he is walking toward a precipice, apparently about to step off."

The
need for the realization that you can't change the past and that you need to learn to move on
is a big enough reason for me to give Elizabeth the
Fool arcana
. It would also tie in nicely with
her previous arcana

Who said anything about changing the past? You can still set right what's already gone wrong.

Setsu00

Who said anything about changing the past? You can still set right what's already gone wrong.

Yeah I would be disappointed as well because that would be a easy way out if they did that.

"Changing the past" might not have been the best choice of words, I have to admit that. However, I feel like moving on and embracing the sacrifice that Makoto made is a lot harder than simply trying to undo it.

FluxWaveZ

However, I feel like moving on and embracing the sacrifice that Makoto made is a lot harder than simply trying to undo it.

Simply moving on is pretty much impossible
for anyone who was close to him, knowing that he has been condemned to literally suffer for all eternity because of his sacrifice. That's why ex-SEES had their resolution and why Liz wants to save his soul so bad. Even in The Answer, despite the fact that they abandoned the idea to return to the past to attempt to save him, they haven't moved on as they all made a pact to lessen his burden through their actions. His fate kinda sucks.

Setsu00

Simply moving on is pretty much impossible
for anyone who was close to him, knowing that he has been condemned to literally suffer for all eternity because of his sacrifice. That's why ex-SEES had their resolution and why Liz wants to save his soul so bad. Even in The Answer, despite the fact that they abandoned the idea to return to the past to attempt to save him, they haven't moved on as they all made a pact to lessen his burden through their actions. His fate kinda sucks.

I guess you have a point there.
I still think that a failure would be more interesting from a philosophical view, but that's about it

That said,
I don't think that a failure is likely. Ultimax seems to be wish fulfillment incarnate, so giving Makoto and Elizabeth a happy ending is probably what's going to happen

"Changing the past" might not have been the best choice of words, I have to admit that. However, I feel like moving on and embracing the sacrifice that Makoto made is a lot harder than simply trying to undo it.

Like Flux said
its pretty much impossible for SEES and Elizabeth to move on knowing that there friend sacrificed everything in order for everybody to live. And for that consequence he's basically stuck in a limbo for eternity, which is really shitty. They have a guilty conscious for that reason which is why they haven't given up more so for Elizabeth.

FluxWaveZ

I guess you have a point there.
I still think that a failure would be more interesting from a philosophical view, but that's about it

That said,
I don't think that a failure is likely. Ultimax seems to be wish fulfillment incarnate, so giving Makoto and Elizabeth a happy ending is probably what's going to happen

I'm alright with both outcomes, as long as it's addressed properly and satisfyingly. You're right,
an outright failure in Elizabeth attaining her goals would be a very interesting subversion based on what one would expect. I will say that, personally, I do think the guy deserves to rest in peace after all the crap he's been through, both living and "dead", heh.

Squire

Banned
Two words: Absolute Power.

Look at how she carries herself on the battlefield. With a flick of her finger, she casually assaults the opponent with her Tarot cards. She wields multiple Personas. She teleports. (did you get a look at her IK setup? Jesus christ) and she gets physical; Dive kicks? Tiger Knees? SUPPLEX?!

Margaret stepping up the plate after Aigis's blatant lie.

Margaret: Let there be SUPPLEX.

EDIT: And Hassou Tobi is a super. Thank you, Izanagi.

This post perfectly encapsulates my Marge hype.

Meia

I'm alright with both outcomes, as long as it's addressed properly and satisfyingly. You're right,
an outright failure in Elizabeth attaining her goals would be a very interesting subversion based on what one would expect. I will say that, personally, I do think the guy deserves to rest in peace after all the crap he's been through, both living and "dead", heh.

Yep, couldn't agree more.
I know the Jesus comparisons are common with Makoto, but Jesus didn't exactly go to HELL for the people that believe in the religion.
:p

Yep, couldn't agree more.
I know the Jesus comparisons are common with Makoto, but Jesus didn't exactly go to HELL for the people that believe in the religion.
:p
He actually did. And then obviously came back. It's also said that he took with him some Saints and other important people (like Greek philosophers and such), which were in hell because they weren't baptized. There's reference to this in Dante's Inferno too.

Meia

This is going pretty far afield for a Persona community thread, but It's commonly believed that he did, in fact.

But then that creates another problem then.

Popular opinion with the Makoto/Jesus thing was him dieing creating the Seal, then coming back for a brief period(resurrection) before dieing again on graduation day. But if Jesus did the Hell thing and then got out when he resurrected, then the idea that Makoto "died" at the Seal thing is a false premise to begin with. This kind of just adds more fuel to the "he's prime for resurrection" thing, doesn't it?

And it's kind of far afield, but considering the story implications with what Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona Arena did(and what may or may not happen in Ultimax), it's interesting enough to think about.

PK Gaming

Popular opinion with the Makoto/Jesus thing was him dieing creating the Seal, then coming back for a brief period(resurrection) before dieing again on graduation day. But if Jesus did the Hell thing and then got out when he resurrected, then the idea that Makoto "died" at the Seal thing is a false premise to begin with. This kind of just adds more fuel to the "he's prime for resurrection" thing, doesn't it?

And it's kind of far afield, but considering the story implications with what Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona Arena did(and what may or may not happen in Ultimax), it's interesting enough to think about.

I think you're reading too much into the Makoto = Jesus comparisons. Yes, there are some blatant similarities between the two, that doesn't mean his entire character concept is not predicated on being the Messiah. Persona 3 was mostly about accepting the inevitability of death. The developers repeatedly hammered that point in their interview, and at no point have they explicitly tied Makoto to being Jesus.

Furthermore, the game is completely unambiguous with how he died. At no point did he resurrect; after using the Great Seal, he clung to life for an extra month then died. The mechanics of this are unexplained and we don't know how Makoto's final month of living affected the Great Seal, but at no point did he "resurrect."

Meia

I think you're reading too much into the Makoto = Jesus comparisons. Yes, there are some blatant similarities between the two, that doesn't mean his entire character concept is not predicated on being the Messiah. Persona 3 was mostly about accepting the inevitability of death. The developers repeatedly hammered that point in their interview, and at no point have they explicitly tied Makoto to being Jesus.

Furthermore, the game is completely unambiguous with how he died. At no point did he resurrect; after using the Great Seal, he clung to life for an extra month then died. The mechanics of this are unexplained and we don't know how Makoto's final month of living affected the Great Seal, but at no point did he "resurrect."

The
he never resurrected thing was something I had originally taken away from P3 as well, but some had said that him using all his HP to create the Seal and then reappearing at the bottom of Tartarus was him coming back. And I think considering Makoto's ultimate Persona is Messiah, and the flavor text for it literally has "many stories involve his death and rebirth", well...

Yeah, the themes in Persona 3 are what they are, but still. Endings where a protagonist gets a really raw deal always kind of bug me. Guess we'll know the outcome soon. Still think if they weren't going to go this route, they could have simply had Margaret mention nothing at all in Persona 4.

Marche90

Kanji, what the hell happened to you face!?

2tyzw5q.png

(P4GA 7)

Weiss

Banned
The
he never resurrected thing was something I had originally taken away from P3 as well, but some had said that him using all his HP to create the Seal and then reappearing at the bottom of Tartarus was him coming back. And I think considering Makoto's ultimate Persona is Messiah, and the flavor text for it literally has "many stories involve his death and rebirth", well...

Yeah, the themes in Persona 3 are what they are, but still. Endings where a protagonist gets a really raw deal always kind of bug me. Guess we'll know the outcome soon. Still think if they weren't going to go this route, they could have simply had Margaret mention nothing at all in Persona 4.

Well, theoretically
it's possible for Makoto to return, since the Great Seal isn't necessary if Erebus were to disappear. Given that to do so, every human being on Earth would have to reject their nihilism, it's doubtful, but still within the realm of possibility for beings like Elizabeth and Aigis.

[P3 SPOILERS]

Wouldn't it funny if Elizabeth just decided to forcefully replace Makoto with Sho as the Great Seal, and everyone else had to stop her mad plans?

Levito

Banned
Still really dislike the idea of
reviving, releasing, or bringing back Makoto in any fashion. No matter the reasoning or story justification, it severly underminds was Persona 3's story and the message of that game. It takes out all the power in that game if he comes back.

It would be even stupider than Titus coming back in FFX-2 just because Yuna really wanted it to happen or whatever..

Sometimes if you love a story, it's better off just leaving it alone.

FluxWaveZ

Still really dislike the idea of
reviving, releasing, or bringing back Makoto in any fashion. No matter the reasoning or story justification, it severly underminds was Persona 3's story and message was about. It takes out all the power in that game if he comes back.

How does
releasing him undermine anything? Was the point of Persona 3 "you must suffer, even when you die"? What's the problem if he's liberated from his prison but stays dead?

Well, theoretically
it's possible for Makoto to return, since the Great Seal isn't necessary if Erebus were to disappear. Given that to do so, every human being on Earth would have to reject their nihilism, it's doubtful, but still within the realm of possibility for beings like Elizabeth and Aigis.

Honestly, best case scenario I see isn't the problem going away, it's the seal getting replaced.

Levito

Banned
How does
releasing him undermine anything? Was the point of Persona 3 "you must suffer, even when you die"? What's the problem if he's liberated from his prison but stays dead?

At the end of the day, I feel that even if he were to stay dead, that it would undermine the sacrifice made during P3's finale. Makoto took upon that responsibility. P3's ultimate message was about death and coming to terms with it, regardless of the details. Not sure there needs to be a "Genie, you're free" moment in Ultimax or any future games. If he's dead, he's dead.

Again, just my opinion.

CorvoSol

The common idea is that, and I cannot believe I am putting this in spoilers,
Jesus was crucified, then his spirit went to Hell during the three days his body was in the tomb, then he was resurrected, and another 40 days later he ascended. So you have several steps: The Passion, in which Christ dies for mankind's sins, the liberation in which he frees the righteous dead from Hell, the Resurrection in which he appears again to his still living followers and the Ascension in which he leaves his followers and goes up to Heaven. However, even after the Ascension Jesus still interacted with them once or twice.

Assuming as direct a parallel here as we have, P3's The Journey is the three years Jesus spends teaching, with Social Links representing that in one way or another. When Makoto defeats Nyx, he dies because of mankind's desire to die (or sin, or however you wish to describe this), I haven't played The Answer yet, so I would assume that the time spent with the class afterward is representative of his resurrection. Especially since they don't remember him, which parallels how the Apostles didn't recognize Jesus on several occasions after his resurrection. The scene at the end of the game is his Ascension, since his work among mortals is now completely finished. The ministry to the dead would be whatever gap occurs between the final battle and the resumption of the game's final days or however.

But this assumes a literal sequence, and I don't think that's necessary. I know if I were going to make a hero into Jesus I wouldn't want things to be exactly 1:1, because it'd just be too bland. So it's entirely possible that events happen out of order (aside from Death, Rebirth, and Ascent, because logic dictates they have to happen that way). So his ministry to the dead could be after his ascent, or what have you because the game's writers were not bound by all the same rules.

The actual details of the MC's death aren't important. They are there in The Answer to help the characters and the player come to terms with his death--to tell you "why." The message and entire point of P3 is death's inevitability, no matter how it comes. The nittygritties of his death aren't (and shouldn't) be the focal point. The only thing "freeing" the MC but keeping him dead would accomplish would be helping the fans who still can't come to terms with it feel better, which isn't a worthwhile enough cause to undermine even a little bit of P3's ending as far as I'm concerned.

kewlmyc

Oh my god (heh) I hated Sunday School.

I think everyone did in their childhood

At the end of the day, I feel that even if he were to stay dead, that it would undermine the sacrifice made during P3's finale. Makoto took upon that responsibility. P3's ultimate message was about death and coming to terms with it, regardless of the details. Not sure there needs to be a "Genie, you're free" moment in Ultimax or any future games. If he's dead, he's dead.

Again, just my opinion.

I agree. Just don't touch it at all. That or go full-fanfiction tier and have him come back as a cyborg terminator.

Top Bottom