• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Levito

Banned
Man of SEES:

nZdrR3p.jpg

The actual details of the MC's death aren't important. They are there in The Answer to help the characters and the player come to terms with his death--to tell you "why." The message and entire point of P3 is death's inevitability, no matter how it comes. The nittygritties of his death aren't (and shouldn't) be the focal point. The only thing "freeing" the MC but keeping him dead would accomplish would be helping the fans who still can't come to terms with it feel better, which isn't a worthwhile enough cause to undermine even a little bit of P3's ending as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly how I feel.
I mean do we really need a scene where Makoto is walking up some white steps, the P3 cast looking on crying, as he turns around and smiles while being engulfed by white light? :p

CorvoSol

Obviously Marie will fix everything and the two of them will get married and ride off into the sunset together while everyone agrees what a perfect couple they are.

THE END.

PK Gaming

I've got a lot of things to say about that P4GA, but i'll keep it short(for now)

It was probably the best P4 anime episode, period. It's all downhill after this.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh dear.

Not a good one, then?

I thought it was a pretty interesting episode personally. Some people might take issue with Marie giving Yu a pep talk, but I think the whole
Adachi/Yu dynamic is great. Adachi comes into his own as you see some more of his philosophy

The fight scenes were pretty cool even if
Ameno Sagiri was super short. Seeing Yu with Magatsu Izanagi was cool

Next episode looks pretty funny.

In the end though our opinions don't mean shit, it's up to Atlus on whether
Makoto is revived or sealed for enternity. I mean they made Marie cannon even though she seemed like a fanservice add on for Golden :) So anything can happen with Atlus.

Marche90

I've got a lot of things to say about that P4GA, but i'll keep it short(for now)

It was probably the best P4 anime episode, period. It's all downhill after this.

You guys did liked it?

I think my biggest peeve with today's episode was how the battle with Ameno-sagiri was dealt with, but not the only one. The Marie thing again is one of them.

And I think I'm joining Dantis's camp of disliking
Adachi
too, after this episode :lol.

EDIT: Missed this:

[Redacted] and Marie trailer up on YT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaQsA3t0Aw

Nice! And yeah, I liked how [Redacted]'s voice ended up.

Setsu00

[Redacted] and Marie trailer up on YT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaQsA3t0Aw

I was worried that [Redacted]'s voice would end up too similiar to
Yu's
, but this is really cool.

You guys did liked it?

I think my biggest peeve with today's episode was how the battle with Ameno-sagiri was dealt with, but not the only one. The Marie thing again is one of them.

And I think I'm joining Dantis's camp of disliking
Adachi
too, after this episode :lol.

I hate
Adachi
as well. Let me join your ranks.

Swedesu

The
Adachi
hate is fine, but....

It would be cool if you could elaborate on it.

For the record I kind of liked him
as the culprit, and the added scenes in Golden were some of the best additions that that game made. In my eyes he's enjoyable both as a goof and as a maniacal psychopath and he works quite well as a polar opposite to the protagonist.

Xenoflare

Yep, I like how Marie sounds in Englsih, I really dig it.

Mhmm, could Marge be the character who has the lowest health? Usually the health meter is inversely related on how persona dependent the character is.

Hopefully this doesn't mean she will be even shittier than liz, because that would be really funny.

Setsu00

[Redacted] sounds a lot better than I thought they would in this trailer, but I still think they should have just changed
Yu's (could this be a spoiler in a really roundabout way?) voice
for the anime/Arena. It's the character they could have gotten away with voice changing most.

I fully agree. I also dislike how Yuri Lowenthal seemingly voices both Yosuke and Makoto in PQ, but I'm sure it'll be fine in the end.

P4GA

I didn't get to ask this last week but how do you guys feel about Yu's arrival to Inaba as the impetus for Adachi's insanity? I never got that from the original game.

In fact, the original Jester link had lighthearted scenes where Adachi was invited over and you would spend time with him and Nanako. Replacing his role in the family never seemed like a thing.

Setsu00

Even if he knew the answer, I don't think John would be able to answer that :p However, look at this:

I think that Margaret is the final character.

Also, that "Boss" option intrigues me. Could it something like BlazeBlue's Unlimited characters?

I think it refers to the Boss characters in the GA mode which have a unique palette, I believe.

Zareka

I fully agree. I also dislike how Yuri Lowenthal seemingly voices both Yosuke and Makoto in PQ, but I'm sure it'll be fine in the end.

Uh oh, I completely forgot about the PQ situation. This is gonna be fun, I don't think Yuri could get any higher if he tried. :p

Man, it's gonna be weird hearing P3Hero on my second playthrough of that. He'll always be nameless and silent to me.

Dantis

New episode is actually rather good.

Marie was a waste of time. Also they are totally shipping Marie and Narukami, good lord.

The new vocal track was excellent, even if it kind of feels like it was pulled from RWBY.

I'm also not sure how I feel about how much they've changed
Adachi's character. It's neat that they've added more motivation, but this is essentially a different Adachi than the game.

Next episode is gonna be weird.

Meia

Exactly how I feel.
I mean do we really need a scene where Makoto is walking up some white steps, the P3 cast looking on crying, as he turns around and smiles while being engulfed by white light? :p

No, but the idea of
suffering for all eternity is a little far. Let's face facts: THEY were the one that even set up some kind of idea of him being free and Elizabeth being the one to do it. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if that's what happens eventually, whether it be in the Arena storyline or otherwise. Dieing, and the cast of P3 coming to grips with it, were more than enough to fulfill the requirement of fitting the themes of Persona 3, anymore than that is, and always has been, silly.

To be blunt, I hate PSP HORROR GAME SPOILERS
Corpse Party
for much the same reasons.

CorvoSol

Persona 4 Golden The Animation 7
"Try not to make us worry! (beat) Or Marie-chan, either!"

Piece of shit anime. Trinity Soul or not. What a load of shit this is. It's like they're physically incapable of letting something good go unhindered by this figurative rhinoceros of awful they've unleashed on the plot.

PK Gaming

The Magic Ticket Called Talent (P4G7)

I'm absolutely convinced that this will be the best P4GA episode. Not even gonna slowroll that. This was by far and away the best P4GA episode and it will be the best episode by the the anime concludes. Why? Because it focuses on the Golden additions that are inarguably good - extra Adachi character development. Adachi was always a character that was absolutely integral to Persona 4, so any episode that gives him more development is bound to be intriguing by default. The episode expands on the P4G exclusive confrontation between Yu and Adachi in a meaningful way; in addition to what was presented in the game, we're treated to a brief flashback of Adachi's life leading up to the events of P4. We're given a perspective on what makes him tick. No traumatic life-changing event. No sad backstory. He is simply a person who completely and utterly rejects human interaction. And paradoxically, he is also person who craves it. He wants to popular. He wants to be successful. He wants to be loved. His simultaneous rationalization that bonds are worthless and lack of self-awareness of his own feelings is awe-inspiring. To put it another way, he's a shitty person who doesn't realize why he's a shitty person. In that sense, he is the perfect foil to Yu - and to Persona 4 in general. See, Persona 4 is fundamentally about relationship, self-affirmation, and happiness. It's a feel good game that lets players experience their own rose-colored high school life. Once again, Adachi had none of these things. He rejects relationships, curses his lack of talent and success and chooses. I like that. I like how we get a character who stands for everything that opposes the protagonist/players. We gotta have a foil, because otherwise, the amount of good vibes gets jacked up to a suffocating degree.

The expanded relationship between Yu and Adachi makes their confrontation all the more intense. It was overt, but I liked how they illustrated the difference between Yu and Adachi with via Persona usage. Oh and that fist fight? Fucking magnificent.

Was this episode perfect? Fuck no. The art wasn't great and Ameno Sagiri's confrontation was abrupt and dreadful kinda like how it is in the game. Yu's angst and resolution was completely superfluous. Marie is fucking terrible, as usual. The idea that he might have pushed Adachi into a killer disgusts me to my very core. The anime also falters because in a bid to make Adachi more human, they gloss over his intense entitlement, his sexism, his misanthropy and how much of a brat he is (all important aspects of his character). But in spite of all that, this was the closest episode that tried to be different. It stands by itself, away from the dreadful circlejerk that is P4GA.

Tamanon

Banned
The Magic Ticket Called Talent (P4G7)

I'm absolutely convinced that this will be the best P4GA episode. Not even gonna slowroll that. This was by far and away the best P4GA episode and it will be the best episode by the the anime concludes. Why? Because it focuses on the Golden additions that are inarguably good - extra Adachi character development. Adachi was always a character that was absolutely integral to Persona 4, so any episode that gives him more development is bound to be intriguing by default. The episode expands on the P4G exclusive confrontation between Yu and Adachi in a meaningful way; in addition to what was presented in the game, we're treated to a brief flashback of Adachi's life leading up to the events of P4. We're given a perspective on what makes him tick. No traumatic life-changing event. No sad backstory. He is simply a person who completely and utterly rejects human interaction. And paradoxically, he is also person who craves it. He wants to popular. He wants to be successful. He wants to be loved. His simultaneous rationalization that bonds are worthless and lack of self-awareness of his own feelings is awe-inspiring. To put it another way, he's a shitty person who doesn't realize why he's a shitty person. In that sense, he is the perfect foil to Yu - and to Persona 4 in general. See, Persona 4 is fundamentally about relationship, self-affirmation, and happiness. It's a feel good game that lets players experience their own rose-colored high school life. Once again, Adachi had none of these things. He rejects relationships, curses his lack of talent and success and chooses. I like that. I like how we get a character who stands for everything that opposes the protagonist/players. We gotta have a foil, because otherwise, the amount of good vibes gets jacked up to a suffocating degree.

The expanded relationship between Yu and Adachi makes their confrontation all the more intense. It was overt, but I liked how they illustrated the difference between Yu and Adachi with via Persona usage. Oh and that fist fight? Fucking magnificent.

Was this episode perfect? Fuck no. The art wasn't great and Ameno Sagiri's confrontation was abrupt and dreadful kinda like how it is in the game. Yu's angst and resolution was completely superfluous. Marie is fucking terrible, as usual. The idea that he might have pushed Adachi into a killer disgusts me to my very core. The anime also falters because in a bid to make Adachi more human, they gloss over his intense entitlement, his sexism, his misanthropy and how much of a brat he is (all important aspects of his character). But in spite of all that, this was the closest episode that tried to be different. It stands by itself, away from the dreadful circlejerk that is P4GA.

About Yu:

When you look at how much positive change Yu has caused in everyone he meets, it makes some sense that he's suddenly overcome with thinking he also caused negative change in someone. When you look at how everybody he has come into contact with through S. Links has bettered their lives, he never paused for a second to consider that just being nice won't be enough to help someone.

The resolution was pretty quick with Marie, but I thought it was a fascinating moment of weakness for Yu.

Piece of shit anime. Trinity Soul or not. What a load of shit this is. It's like they're physically incapable of letting something good go unhindered by this figurative rhinoceros of awful they've unleashed on the plot.

When Yu is in contemplation mode and Marie takes him aside to talk, it seemed so abrupt. It was an adaptation of one of the only worthwhile scenes of Marie's s.link, but it totally clashed with the fact that he confronted a murderer just a few minutes ago.

I think I'll need some context for that one. Mind PMing me with it?

CorvoSol

When Yu is in contemplation mode and Marie takes him aside to talk, it seemed so abrupt. It was an adaptation of one of the only worthwhile scenes of Marie's s.link, but it totally clashed with the fact that he confronted a murderer just a few minutes ago.

What's really bad is that
Yu doesn't even take the time to consider Adachi's point of view. He starts to, and then Marie makes up some bullshit about how that's invalidating her time with him and he's like "Oh that's right, you are my lord and master" and he then completely ignores Adachi's side of things for the rest of the episode. Even though the entire point of the game is to see the truth and not just close your ears when people are trying to explain themselves.

Basically, though, I'm pissed because this anime completely threw away the Jester Social Link, which was far, far better than the Aeon. I mean, even though Yu should be like, rank 5 by last episode he says "Oh Adachi isn't my friend" and when his friendship with him is put into conflict with his friendship with another, rather than show any sort of depth in pondering a conflict that runs counter to an enormous part of the entire game, he just picks Marie's side, no thoughts at all. Not first, let alone second. He just does it.

And then in this episode, even though he should be like, what, rank 10 Hunger by now, he sure as fuck doesn't act like there's a bond when he promptly
quits worrying about anything Adachi has to say because Marie told him not to. The beat down was like this brief return to lucidity before Narukami fell back under Marie's spell and stopped giving a shit.

This is Persona anime, folks. Where the only consolation is "At least it wasn't Trinity Soul."

kewlmyc

All these years and I just realized that "A New World Fool" is some sort of distorted remix of "I'll Face Myself -Battle-".

vRR1clY.gif

Sophia

Just a friendly reminder, what with the Japanese release of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax coming up, we do have a no spoilers policy for the IRC. However we have also set aside a channel (#pspoilers) for people to freely discuss such things.

If you wish to connect with the web based IRC client to both channels, you can use this link. Click here to connect to both #PersonaGAF and #pspoilers. Alternatively, if you're already in the channel and want to manually join, just type "/join #pspoilers" without the quotation marks. However do note that anything goes in the spoiler channel and I will just laugh at you if you join and get spoiled for something you didn't want to see.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah... nothing's going to beat episode 6 for me. Episode 7 was pretty bland, outside of a few scenes.

Margaret trailer translation via Anime News Network. It's rough, but it gives a basic gist of what it's about. Doesn't seem like Margaret and Theodore want to force Liz back at all, but more like they're concerned for her well-being.

Honestly,
Getting Makoto off the Great Seal and just letting him actually go to whatever afterlife rather than getting constantly attacked by a demonic representation of humanity's suicidal tendencies would be fine as an endcap to the P3 Arc for me.

Xenoflare

Ah, so is that what it's about. I could see Theodore being an idiot and not caring for Elizabeth's goals, but I thought Margaret had made peace with the fact that Liz was on her journey. Intriguing.

Yeah... especially with the fact that Marge
came into understanding of Liz's intentions if you fight her, even more so in P4G

Xenoflare

Honestly,
Getting Makoto off the Great Seal and just letting him actually go to whatever afterlife rather than getting constantly attacked by a demonic representation of humanity's suicidal tendencies would be fine as an endcap to the P3 Arc for me.

I would love this
it's a good closure, I would actually be extremely disappointed if he got revived and "lived happily ever after with the whole p3 gang", if that really did happen it's a disservice to P3's main theme. "Remembering your mortality and letting go of the past"

Top Bottom