• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

King Fost

Neo Member
Guys, apparently there are people who think Yukari is "a bitch" throughout Persona 3. PLEASE tell me you guys don't agree with that D:

(And if you do think this… I'd actually be really interested in hearing your argument.)

She kind of is to be honest. For most of the game, she spends a lot of time either bitching about Mitsuru or eviscerating Junpei, the latter for no reason pretty much. And then there's the ridiculous alley scene.

Now I think she does have reasons for being kind of a bitch throughout the game and I think it's possible for a character to not be a totally great/likeable person while still being a good character (see: most of the cast of Death Note). In any case though, people who think that Yukari isn't kind of bitchy is fooling themselves.

Re: Chie & Yosuke

In spite of their um, history together, it's worth considering that they refer to each other without honorifics, which implies some degree of intimacy (ie: not romantic). There's definitely some bickering, but I don't think either side outright dislikes the other.

I like how Naoto pretty much tells them to go get a room and fuck already. I mean, you expect someone to say that at some point but Naoto? Always gave me a chuckle.

Didn't know where else to ask, so I am asking here...Persona 4 Golden related

About to get to the festival (20th of August) scene in the game. Am I halfway through the game already or is there a lot left?

Pretty excited to see where the game goes from here.

Hmm, I'm being as vague as possible: you still have quite a lot left.

She kind of is to be honest. For most of the game, she spends a lot of time either bitching about Mitsuru or eviscerating Junpei, the latter for no reason pretty much.
Hey, Junpei teases Yukari a lot and makes fun of her in several ocassions, like of her fear of ghosts, plus the way he acts as a perv creeps her out. I don't see why Yukari is the only evil witch here. And about Mitsuru, you say "most of the game" when it's only in the beginning, did you forget the part where the two become best friends and Mitsuru's role in The Answer is saying "Yukari..."?

CorvoSol

Re: Chie & Yosuke

In spite of their um, history together, it's worth considering that they refer to each other without honorifics, which implies some degree of intimacy (ie: not romantic). There's definitely some bickering, but I don't think either side outright dislikes the other.

I find it so weird the way people blow the teasing in P4 out of proportion. It's like, has nobody ever had the kind of friends they could get together with and just tease the shit out of each other? My best friends and I do this all the time. Like, one of them was our valedictorian and double majored in mathematics. Any time she says anything even remotely dumb, we through that shit at her mercilessly. I made Eagle Scout and now if I make the slightest mistake on a camping trip, I hear no end of it. And so on. Teasing each other is something best friends do. Like, all the time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Newcomer here: What's the best way to get into the series?

People seem pretty down about the first two games and recommend starting with 3 or 4, at least from what I've seen. And I was considering starting up 4, but I don't own a Vita yet so that'll have to wait. Not to mention I already know the big twist so I'm a bit hesitant. So how's 3 as a starting point? I know there's a few versions of the game so I wouldn't know which one's the best.

If you only have access to a PS2 or PS3, I would suggest going with FES first. The gameplay in 4 is overall better in that you can control your party, where in P3/FES the Ai controls their actions but you give them tactics to focus on. It's a bit jarring going from 4 to 3.

PK Gaming

I like how Naoto pretty much tells them to go get a room and fuck already. I mean, you expect someone to say that at some point but Naoto? Always gave me a chuckle.
Rise also wonders why they don't date and Yukiko says that they would make for a good couple.
I find it so weird the way people blow the teasing in P4 out of proportion. It's like, has nobody ever had the kind of friends they could get together with and just tease the shit out of each other? My best friends and I do this all the time. Like, one of them was our valedictorian and double majored in mathematics. Any time she says anything even remotely dumb, we through that shit at her mercilessly. I made Eagle Scout and now if I make the slightest mistake on a camping trip, I hear no end of it. And so on. Teasing each other is something best friends do. Like, all the time.
Pretty my high school life in a nutshell. I'd always be the one to suggest stuff in our inner circle, and i'd never hear the end of it. (Granted most of my suggestions were pretty dumb but still...)

Squire

Banned
Why are people assuming there are five party members?

Because there are five chairs?

I can't help but feel that there might be five chairs because the number five may have some sort of symbolical purpose to the game, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Perhaps it is the five senses?

Edit: MC already appears to have some sort of sight, looking at the teaser. Maybe I really am on to something...

She kind of is to be honest. For most of the game, she spends a lot of time either bitching about Mitsuru or eviscerating Junpei, the latter for no reason pretty much. And then there's the ridiculous alley scene.

Now I think she does have reasons for being kind of a bitch throughout the game and I think it's possible for a character to not be a totally great/likeable person while still being a good character (see: most of the cast of Death Note). In any case though, people who think that Yukari isn't kind of bitchy is fooling themselves.

Hey, Junpei teases Yukari a lot and makes fun of her in several ocassions, like of her fear of ghosts, plus the way he acts as a perv creeps her out. I don't see why Yukari is the only evil witch here. And about Mitsuru, you say "most of the game" when it's only in the beginning, did you forget the part where the two become best friends and Mitsuru's role in The Answer is saying "Yukari..."?

The real issue with the haters is that once they have bad first impressions of a character, they're not really inclined to take character development to heart.
Also I suspect that the game's difficulty can make some players less tolerant of characters causing drama. (esp. in The Answer)

Yeah. She's one to talk.

Meia

Best friend of +30 years now is confined to a wheel chair, and it was somewhat early on that we would joke about me pushing him down a flight of stairs. Even recently when seeing movies and it says "In event of a fire, walk, don't run to an emergency exit." he'll be the one to start laughing as I say "Welp, guess you just gotta burn then." :p

Friends can be incredibly terrible to each other, depends on the friendship. Chie kicked Yosuke in the balls for breaking her DVD, but they were close enough for her to loan it to him in the first place.

Best friend of +30 years now is confined to a wheel chair, and it was somewhat early on that we would joke about me pushing him down a flight of stairs. Even recently when seeing movies and it says "In event of a fire, walk, don't run to an emergency exit." he'll be the one to start laughing as I say "Welp, guess you just gotta burn then." :p

Friends can be incredibly terrible to each other, depends on the friendship. Chie kicked Yosuke in the balls for breaking her DVD, but they were close enough for her to loan it to him in the first place.

But... But Yosuke referred to Chie as "Satonaka" during the beginning part. They're not that close!

She does call herself
"A stubborn, two-faced coward." During the Izanagi-no-Okami sequence.
She lashes out something nasty, but she truly cares.

(Also, I'm guessing Yosuke calling her 'Satonaka' at the beginning is supposed to mean that he didn't really care about anything in Inaba before his awakening)

wonder what the "animal like" team member we will get.....

a red panda?
Or maybe even something that's the exact same colour?
One of the fox's cubs?

But... But Yosuke referred to Chie as "Satonaka" during the beginning part. They're not that close!
(Also, I'm guessing Yosuke calling her 'Satonaka' at the beginning is supposed to mean that he didn't really care about anything in Inaba before his awakening)
I would say Yosuke called her Satonaka because he broke her DVD, so he wanted to sound formal to try to not anger her that much before she realized it.

Meia

We can't really use what they call each other as any basis for anything, really. I mean, it's not really one thing Atlus USA has ever been really strict about in terms of localization. It's fine, but it's not worth dwelling over what she called him or vice-versa.

Soma

wonder what the "animal like" team member we will get.....

a red panda?

Hope it's a pug.

rn3SJC2.jpg

I would say Yosuke called her Satonaka because he broke her DVD, so he wanted to sound formal to try to not anger her that much before she realized it.
Naw, you are thinking about his "Miss Satonaka...? This DVD is awesome but sorry!" line. He still calls her "Satonaka" the day after, during the scene where they met Saki.

Hey everyone! Today's been a pretty good day, what with our first proper look at P5 and my account finally being activated on Neogaf! I look forward to participating in the community.

To mark my first ever post on Neogaf, though, I have a joke for y'all:
P3 "The Answer" SPOILERS

Q: Why did the former members of S.E.E.S. choose the zoo as the location for their annual get together?

A: Because they want to see a live Seal again.

PK Gaming

Naw, you are thinking about his "Miss Satonaka...? This DVD is awesome but sorry!" line. He still calls her "Satonaka" the day after, during the scene where they met Saki.

They're definitely not close at first, but starting from around the time the investigation is formally established, he almost exclusively refers to her as "Chie" and vice versa. Contrast that with pretty much anyone in the party, where they use honorifics. (EX: Naoto ---> Kanji, "Kanji-kun" and "Naoto-kun", Yukiko ---> Yosuke, "Yukiko-san and Yosuke-kun, etc).

They're definitely not close at first, but starting from around the time the investigation is formally established, he almost exclusively refers to her as "Chie" and vice versa. Contrast that with pretty much anyone in the party, where they use honorifics. (EX: Naoto ---> Kanji, "Kanji-kun" and "Naoto-kun", Yukiko ---> Yosuke, "Yukiko-san and Yosuke-kun, etc).
Yar, they immediately call each other casually the day after Yosuke treats her. Thus, buying Chie food is demonstrably the fastest way to raise S. Link with her.

Hey everyone! Today's been a pretty good day, what with our first proper look at P5 and my account finally being activated on Neogaf! I look forward to participating in the community.

To mark my first ever post on Neogaf, though, I have a joke for y'all:
P3 "The Answer" SPOILERS

Q: Why did the former members of S.E.E.S. choose the zoo as the location for their annual get together?

A: Because they want to see a live Seal again.

Welcome. Also, oh god you're terrible...

I don't agree with this entirely. Like, I think Kou and Daisuke's relationship, and a lot of the interactions involving Teddie and Yosuke are classic shitting between friends. The IT entirely, it's almost sitcom level on being over the top. It's because they aren't joking around is what makes these scenes so absurd and funny.

Also because the group was brought together by circumstance instead of by choice, a lot of their interactions are based on showing their lack of unity/closeness to contrast. By the end of the game they are all friends but I don't think the relationship between each of them is equal.

Hell no, I wouldn't even want that. I hope they show as little of that game as possible until release.

Just some days ago I was having some Persona 5 breakdown, bargaining to the wind like "please... just the main character's design... that's all I ask.."

And now that we've gotten it, I am all "IT'S NOT ENOUGH".

CorvoSol

I don't agree with this entirely. Like, I think Kou and Daisuke's relationship, and a lot of the interactions involving Teddie and Yosuke are classic shitting between friends. The IT entirely, it's almost sitcom level on being over the top. It's because they aren't joking around is what makes these scenes so absurd and funny.

Also because the group was brought together by circumstance instead of by choice, a lot of their interactions are based on showing their lack of unity/closeness to contrast. By the end of the game they are all friends but I don't think the relationship between each of them is equal.

But the evidence is sort of in favor of what I've said. If Chie and Yosuke weren't close, how would they be calling each other and chatting it up at night? If Rise's jab at Kanji is so ill-meant, why do they always arrive to stuff together? There are growing pains, sure, and teasing can step on a toe or two, but the fact of the matter is these children are so loving that they instantaneously integrated an android assassin that had spent the last day using psychological warfare to try and get them to kill each other into their group like it was no big deal. The cast of P4's is just really, really friendly.

Top Bottom