• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

My friend just joked about them getting Daniel Radcliff to dub the protagonist and now I'm going to be extremely disappointed with anyone else.

Now I want the protagonist to be silent for the whole game and then he finally speaks at the end but he has a super thick scouse accent, it would be glorious.

I'm glad people like it. I'll be adding more. Currently, I'm using some photo shaders and other tools to find out what some of the Japanese text says, as it's barely readable from the angles in the trailer.

Well, I guess I'm lonely here but... I'll say it anyway:

I love Persona and Soejima work like no one here but, seriosly, why:

Something were missed along the way....
Too much generic anime cute curly and shy-nerdy boy maybe?

Oh! And one more thing, the logo... uffff, I'll save you the comparison between P3-P4-P5 cuz... It hurts my heart when I think about it.
Yar, artwork and animation design are not really comparable. For the sake of fairness, the protagonists in their respective premiere animated trailers:

5SUbtG8.jpg

Zareka

Yar, artwork and animation design are not really comparable. For the sake of fairness, the protagonists in their respective premiere animated trailers:

I forgot how messed up P3Hero looks in the cutscenes vs artwork.

I'll have to give Mystic's post a read at some point. It's a big 'un.
Now I want the protagonist to be silent for the whole game and then he finally speaks at the end but he has a super thick scouse accent, it would be glorious.
Hahaha that would be amazing.

Sophia

I forgot how messed up P3Hero looks in the cutscenes vs artwork.

Ahahaha. Everyone that isn't Aigis looks messed up in the cutscenes for Persona 3. They're really awful.

Yukari is the worst of the bunch, however. Looks nothing like the Soejima art.

The newspaper clippings are interesting as that first half or so seems like just general bad occurrences but they gradually escalate to the point of physical violence, maybe this will be a key focus of the game in that things will continue to escalate unless something changes which would be where the the protagonist would come in.

arue

That was interesting to read, Mystic. Your avatar really did it justice :p

So the school emblem says "Shujin" and not "Shuujin"? If it is then I have to change my school emblem drawing then :(

Dantis

I wasn't dating her in that specific run. Naoto just isn't into him romantically.

Sucks to be Kanji!

Pretty much. I appreciate that they've maintained Naoto's distance to him. Would have been lame if they'd paired them off in later media to appease a certain part of the fanbase.

Well, I guess I'm lonely here but... I'll say it anyway:

I love Persona and Soejima work like no one here
but, seriosly, why:
Something were missed along the way....
Too much generic anime cute curly and shy-nerdy boy maybe?

Oh! And one more thing, the logo... uffff, I'll save you the comparison between P3-P4-P5 cuz... It hurts my heart when I think about it.

Is it a contest? :p

I think it's a great design, personally.

So the school emblem says "Shujin" and not "Shuujin"? If it is then I have to change my school emblem drawing then :(

You did this? It's great!

[MysticDistance's grand theories]
Impressive work!

Five teasers is also my guess, though I prefer that they'd not spread it that far apart. Maybe once every two weeks? *bargaining*
Then they'd have some three months to actually do media blowout, fleshing out plot and gameplay details and the like.

I am still not convinced that the mobile phones are conscious decision tied to a theme rather than simply visual choices that make sense. It is a modern Japanese big city, after all. P4 intro has the protagonist using phones. The P3 intro also features many people using their phones in the city.

The same goes with the idol ads. They're just things that make sense.

Considering the name and the apparent theme, I think Shujin High School would be your typical public prep school with really strict regulations. That uniform design also screams uptightness to me.

From the beginning, I thought this teaser is supposed to show the character's first accidental Persona awakening, with other teasers showing other party members' respective awakenings. I haven't given any thought to the possibility of it being another person's Persona. If that's the case, maybe the other party members are actually there on the crossing, too, unwittingly witnessing the same Persona summoning event.

Alright, everyone, I think it's time I post this. Since yesterday, I have been analyzing the Persona 5 trailer, and putting together possible theories. Here they are. Tell me what you think.

Theory 1: Official Website Update and Release Date

Shortly after the second teaser trailer was shown at SCEJA Press Conference 2014, the official website for Persona 5 (persona5.jp) was updated. The background visual was changed, showing the fifth chain broken. The image name is also "bg_visual02.jpg" which leads me to believe this is definitely not the final background visual we'll get. What am I saying, exactly? Well. I have a feeling that every month, we'll get a new teaser trailer, showing a character in the game, similar to the trailer we got at the SCEJA Press Conference. To further back this theory, take a look at the "MOVIE" button on the official site. The movie will be updated, as shown by "09.01 UP" and it having the title "btn_movie02_on.jpg" With each new trailer, a new chain will break, until each chain has broken, opening a non-teaser version of the site.

Chain 5: September 1, 2014
Chain 4: October 1, 2014
Chain 3: November 1, 2014
Chain 2: December 1, 2014
Chain 1: January 1, 2015

After that, I believe we'll get gameplay videos and a full PV for the game for the rest of the month leading up to the game. I believe the release date will be February 5, 2015, judging from this theory and how they may want to make the next teaser trailers for characters and plot themes in the game. February 5, 2015 also falls on a Thursday, and follows the "five" motif Persona 5 was announced with. Game director and producer Katsura Hashino himself, never said that the game won't be coming out in early 2015. He just said the game will be out in 2015.

What an amazing post.

Holy shit, Bloodborne and Persona 5 releasing the same day and same week as the birthday. Based god why are you doing this to me I don't deserve this gift.

February seems possible as it still falls into the winter season meaning that the mention of 2015 in the trailer just narrows it down to next year, I'm pretty sure Catherine's release date was a similar situation.

Yes I did. It was a request from Vox for his cosplay.

And I specifically requested "Shuujin" instead of "Shujin", so it's perfectly alright in my case. I'm going for a visual pun with my cosplay, even if it's as subtle as the wording of the insignia. You did well, Arue~

EDIT: I guess this is the post where I admit that I'm an avid cosplayer, and create my own clothing. I'm guessing the Glasses-kun ensemble will take me a few months to make by hand, the majority of the time going into the high school insignia/patch.

Alright. I finished writing the theory. It's on page 235 if anyone else is curious.

I want to give one little disclaimer before anyone reads it. Please do not take it as anything else but speculation. I don't want people assuming that I know something, or am claiming to have insider information. It's just a simple theory, is all. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Using Mystic's analysis, I think I figured out where our protagonist is in the overhead shot:

Also, though I'm not 100% about this, in that scene, the protagonist is the only person who isn't moving, until the P5 logo appears and we see the "time stop" or whatever happens to everyone else. The fact that he does stop to look up is the only reason I was able to find him in the above image.

Secondly, I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but as the scene of the reflection in the protagonist's glasses fades out, we see "persona5.jp" appear with something inside:

Does anyone else think that this looks like a pair of flaming eyes among blue flames? Could whatever the protagonist is staring at be staring back at him? If that's the case, then whatever this thing is, combined with what looks to be bodies strewn about at its feet, makes me think this is some kind of Shadow, and not a Persona; typically, antagonist Personas have been engulfed in red flame, while this one has blue. Obviously that's not enough to make any kind of real judgment, but it's the feeling that I'm getting from this.

Anyways, excellent work on dissecting this trailer, Mystic! :D

EDIT:

Something else that occurs to me as I watch the trailer... this is all happening during the day. In what appears to be the real world. If both of those things are actually true, then this is a rather huge departure from P3 and P4. P3's Dark Hour happened at midnight and fundamentally altered the real world, and P4's Midnight Channel appeared at midnight, and the action took place in another world entirely. Perhaps Persona 5 will be different, and whatever "time stop" that we see in this trailer will be the only thing separating the supernatural from the everyday, which might mean that innocents could be more directly at risk this time around (both story-wise and in combat), as evidenced by the bodies that appear to be at the feet of the blue-flame creature.

Musolf815

I'm really curious about the ad with what looks to be five idols (the red/blue/yellow/light blue/green one), there's five people in that too. Are they possible party members?

PK Gaming

The way I see it the fact that Kanji decides to go along with both of them makes him try a lot of different things he has never done before and helps him grow. In the beach scene you see Kanji saying how pleased he is to scenes "out-of-character", so he takes value of the moments he spends/suffer with those guys

Sure those are things that definitely happened, but I fail to see how that somehow makes Yosuke 1-1 bond with Kanji stronger. A lot of that is just IT group excursion stuff. He's valuing the group in its entirety, not Yosuke.

Rise's involved in Kanji's social link? The only thing I remember about is Kanji telling how he showed one of his sewing products to Rise, and then she calling him weird.. Yosuke is also supportive of Kanji's relationship with Naoto, he tries to convince him to go with Naoto during that umbrella scene.

Dude, don't omit happens after next to support your argument. Immediately after saying it's weird that he does those things, she's supportive of his hobby, which in turn gives him a confidence boost. I mean she took the time to drop by his place in the first place! How many times has Yosuke visited or talked to Kanji alone? Damn, I cannot believe we're having a pissing contest...

I recall that you commented about Yosuke being angry at Kanji or viceversa, or about the teasing, saying you felt they didn't get along. But I don't get then Rise calling Kanji "Moronji" just over one thing he said about New Years. Of course she had to use the word "moron". Specially since during the skii trip scene Kanji tells her to stop calling him like that, and even months after that, in the epilogue, Rise stills calls him that. Yup.

There's a pretty obvious difference between the [harmless] nicknames that Rise gives to Kanji and Yosuke's harsh teasing. Kanji is seriously bothered by Yosuke's jabs (Chie has to specifically point that out to Yosuke) but it's pretty obvious that he isn't bothered at all by Rise's silly nickname. Because that's what Moronji is. A silly nickname.

Where did you get Rise having friends? During multiple times in the game she says she really feels good having friends and hanging out with them (the IT), acting like if she doesn't have anyone else aside them. I recall you said she got a lot of cards in the Valentine scene, but couldn't that just be some crazy Rise fans?

Just her personality, in conjunction with her comment during the Valentine's day scene makes me think that. She wouldn't go out of her way to buy and give out chocolates to "rabid Rise fans" and she explicitly says that they're those chocolates are for friends.

I was recalling the moment he freaked out in the camp scene to the point of teasing him. Should have worded myself better.

I don't even want to want to get into this, lmao.

I rewatched the scene. Yosuke just says he's a year younger than him. I don't where you took the conclusion of underclassmen to secondary friend just like that.

Then the things he says about people fearing him:
"Poor dude....
He's actually a hard-working, honest guy"
See? That's what a friend is about. Oh, and yeah, I agree about Yukiko, I'm just talking that it shows how Yosuke actually doesn't badmouth him while talking about him.

The fact that he didn't badmouth him is cool, but it just represents his change in disposition towards him. Does not badmouthing a person you used to dump on make their friend?

It's not about Kanji itself, it's because the way he's gonna act according to the video. Of course he would prefer to confront a carnivore, a bear beast, etc. compared to a guy who would try to, um do that stuff.. It's Yosuke. If it was Teddie or Yu or some random guy who were gonna act like that, he would def not want to be alone with them.

If you say so. I'm convinced that Yosuke wouldn't hesitate to find Yu or Teddie, even if their titles were like Kanji's, but that's an argument for another day.

Guess we percieve the scene differently then.

Here's 10 bucks, get yourself something nice. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Frolow

Banned
3 and 4 are a good way to get started because 1 and 2 are a little dated in the gameplay department. I personally like P3P, but P3FES is better graphically. The problem with P3 is it sorta doesn't have a definitive version.

After you've checked out 3 and 4, though, you should definitely check out at least P1.

What's the differences between P3P and P3FES?

What's the differences between P3P and P3FES?

P3P has all of the non-dungeon interactions in a visual novel/point and click format. It also has a female protagonist route and lets you control the other party members directly in battle (like P4), neither of which FES have.

FES has an epilogue mode (the Answer) which fills in some story stuff after the ending of P3, plus you can run around the map like in P4.

Sure those are things that definitely happened, but I fail to see how that somehow makes Yosuke 1-1 bond with Kanji stronger. A lot of that is just IT group excursion stuff. He's valuing the group in its entirety, not Yosuke.
Most of the things that happen in the IT group excursion, he spends with Yosuke and the guys.
Dude, don't omit happens after next to support your argument. Immediately after saying it's weird that he does those things, she's supportive of his hobby, which in turn gives him a confidence boost. I mean she took the time to drop by his place in the first place! How many times has Yosuke visited or talked to Kanji alone? Damn, I cannot believe we're having a pissing contest...
We don't even know the reason why Rise visited or talked to Kanji alone there, Kanji just says she stopped by their store. Maybe she was just shopping or on an errand? And we don't get to see what happens to others all day, maybe Yosuke and Teddie visit Kanji frequently too.
And actually, she doesn't say he's weird, she says he's CREEPY. and then Kanji says it hurt him. Then Rise says "Maybe you're an amazing guy after all". She says "maybe" and "after all". I don't know how Kanji got a confidence boost or if Rise is supportive of that when Kanji was more agitated than happy in the outcome.
There's a pretty obvious difference between the [harmless] nicknames that Rise gives to Kanji and Yosuke's harsh teasing. Kanji is seriously bothered by Yosuke's jabs (Chie has to specifically point that out to Yosuke) but it's pretty obvious that he isn't bothered at all by Rise's silly nickname. Because that's what Moronji is. A silly nickname.
How in the heck is "Moronji" silly and harmless? Kanji shows to be seriously bothered by it, just like with Yosuke. In the skii trip scene he tells her stop. Teddie and Naoto during the cutscene also call him Moronji because Rise called him that, and I doubt Kanji would want that, specially if it's Naoto.
Just her personality, in conjunction with her comment during the Valentine's day scene makes me think that. She wouldn't go out of her way to buy and give out chocolates to "rabid Rise fans" and she explicitly says that they're those chocolates are for friends.
I fail to see it. She was just being nice with people probably.
I don't even want to want to get into this, lmao.
That's just the way I see how Yosuke went from "oh my gosh don't get near me" to "isn't he cute, Kanji?" My point of view, of course.
The fact that he didn't badmouth him is cool, but it just represents his change in disposition towards him. Does not badmouthing a person you used to dump on make their friend?
Yeah, it shows your relationship with them better. And you forgot to note that Yosuke feels bad for Kanji's situation and thinks of him as a great guy.
If you say so. I'm convinced that Yosuke wouldn't hesitate to find Yu or Teddie, even if their titles were like Kanji's, but that's an argument for another day.
Corvo said what I was trying to say pretty good.
Here's 10 bucks, get yourself something nice. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yosuke just can't be friendly, huh.

Frolow

Banned
P3P has all of the non-dungeon interactions in a visual novel/point and click format. It also has a female protagonist route and lets you control the other party members directly in battle (like P4), neither of which FES have.

FES has an epilogue mode (the Answer) which fills in some story stuff after the ending of P3, plus you can run around the map like in P4.
Is being able to control other party members and a FeMC worth it? Seems like FES is the better version otherwise.

Is being able to control other party members and a FeMC worth it? Seems like FES is the better version otherwise.

The FeMC route is pretty cool and being able to control other party members definitely helps, but I like FES better overall. I have both because I like playing on my Vita because I travel a lot, but if you were only going to get one I would choose FES.

Fantastic analysis MysticDistance and TheTrueSelf! Really enjoyed reading it.

My personal theory is that the scenes from that P5 visual aren't a trailer in the standard sense, but rather a collection of cutscenes from the final game (train scenes for the protagonists arrival, crosswalk for his awakening). So on that basis, I'm hesitant to call those cut ins on the billboard character cameos because that would be really out of place and in a regular cutscene.

Lunar15

I just can't wait to start seeing Soejima's official renders. They're always so slick.

Also, it's not really time to get hyped until we start hearing some Meguro tunes.

Levito

Banned
Hey so I know that the timing of this is terrible with the P5 reveal, but hey we recorded a podcast with indie developer Bill Stiernberg from Zeboyd Games. He's one half of the folks that Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and is currently working on the highly anticipated Cosmic Star Heroine. We talked about Persona and Chrono Trigger n'stuff.

Armada made the title card... lol

abrack08

I didn't mind not controlling the party. You can still give them tactics to follow so it's not like you have no control at all. I don't think I ever died and felt like it was the party AIs fault... though the final boss is a huge pain and is probably much easier with full party control.

I think the best way to do it is:

P3 FES > The Answer > P3P FeMC route

If you don't mind getting two versions and playing through the game twice.

FluxWaveZ

My personal theory is that the scenes from that P5 visual aren't a trailer in the standard sense, but rather a collection of cutscenes from the final game (train scenes for the protagonists arrival, crosswalk for his awakening). So on that basis, I'm hesitant to call those cut ins on the billboard character cameos because that would be really out of place and in a regular cutscene.

That's true, if this was a cutscene from the actual game. Something weird's going on with the area at that point, though, so maybe it affected that billboard too.

Worldwide release required.

I feel that Atlus might prepare something special for their 25th anniversary on November 24, 2014.

Hey so I know that the timing of this is terrible with the P5 reveal, but hey we recorded a podcast with indie developer Bill Stiernberg from Zeboyd Games. He's one half of the folks that Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and is currently working on the highly anticipated Cosmic Star Heroine. We talked about Persona and Chrono Trigger n'stuff.

Nice! Can't wait to listen! The last one was probably my favorite one yet.

I have a soft spot for the fanfic one though, my friends and I play a drinking game where we read horrifying fanfic to make each other laugh

Using Mystic's analysis, I think I figured out where our protagonist is in the overhead shot:

I think you're right about the protagonists position as it certainly matches up but now that must mean that something was cut out, after the time stop and the protagonist looking around we get a cut to the platforms and the release window followed by this shot:
This shot seems like it would be from the protagonists point of view as the position match up, in this shot we can see that the flame is a distance away and is surrounded by a large crowd but then we have the final shot:

Now in this shot the protagonist looks like he is looking directly at the fire which wouldn't have been possible before not only due to the distance but also the people that are in the way, so I feel like something was cut out and that something would probably help the scene make more sense hence it being cut.

best title card, ahaha

Cosmic Star Heroine looks brilliant, I'll listen to this later

That's true, if this was a cutscene from the actual game. Something weird's going on with the area at that point, though, so maybe it affected that billboard too.

Worldwide release required.

I feel that Atlus might prepare something special for their 25th anniversary on November 24, 2014.

It'd be really cool if they did do something around that date, because as you said, it'd be their 25th anniversary and almost exactly a year since the first P5 reveal. Only time will tell if anything happens, but I'd be up for watching another stream if there was one.

I think you're right about the protagonists position as it certainly matches up but now that must mean that something was cut out, after the time stop and the protagonist looking around we get a cut to the platforms and the release window followed by this shot:
This shot seems like it would be from the protagonists point of view as the position match up, in this shot we can see that the flame is a distance away and is surrounded by a large crowd but then we have the final shot:

Now in this shot the protagonist looks like he is looking directly at the fire which wouldn't have been possible before not only due to the distance but also the people that are in the way, so I feel like something was cut out and that something would probably help the scene make more sense hence it being cut.

I definitely agree. I feel the red banners that appear (Staff members, game logo, and site text) are there in place of things that are cut, or to make it look less like a spliced together scene. This is definitely not the full version of whatever this cutscene is.

DNAbro

Just some days ago I was having some Persona 5 breakdown, bargaining to the wind like "please... just the main character's design... that's all I ask.."

And now that we've gotten it, I am all "IT'S NOT ENOUGH".

A list of info/things I want
1. To hear at least one song. I need that asap.
2. See how they changed the battle system.
3. See how they changed the dungeon system.(not necessarily how we access it though)
4. See how they changed social links
5. Some other party members.
6. And in game graphics of course.

and that is all the info i need on the game. Having MC design though will hold me over for awhile. I expect Atlus to focus on Dancing until it releases.

Lunar15

I maintain that if we're not going to get this in the states until the second half of next year (read: a full year away), then I'm perfectly fine with getting as little info as possible. Any influx of info in 2014 is just going to be annoying.

I'm glad they released this little tidbit in order to lessen our concern, though.

I'm wondering what the importance of the section sign in the corner is.

Mystic is our Detective Prince. Great work! lol

But what if Atlus is trolling us and the boy who seems to be the P5MC isn't the MC but one of his friends? I know there's no chance.. but I was thinking about this because I always imagined the P5MC to be represented by the chair in the center. lol

Lunar15

Mystic is our Detective Prince. Great work! lol

But what if Atlus is trolling us and the boy who seems to be the P5MC isn't the MC but one of his friends? I know there's no chance.. but I was thinking about this because I always imagined the P5MC to be represented by the chair in the center. lol

I considered this, but I feel fairly confident he's the MC.

By the way, was anyone able to grab a translation of Hashino's blog post?

Dantis

So I was thinking about what content I'm actually going to look at for P5. I think I'm going to watch any trailers they release, but avoid gameplay videos. I'm also going to try and stay away from event related scenes. I want to go in fairly fresh.

Top Bottom