• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

CorvoSol

Persona 4 Golden Animation Episode 9: Some calmer thoughts

So now that I've cooled my jets a bit, here is what I think: the episode actually had a few good things going for it. The Ski Trip is possibly one of the best additions Golden has (I grant you that the hotsprings at the end are entirely unnecessary), bringing with it entirely new costumes, a fun way to show the cast in a new situation, and its something I kinda felt was more grown up (at least, for me, personally, trips like this with my friends wouldn't happen until after HS). As such, the adaptation of those parts was really fun. We got to see Rise and Kanji's tete-a-tete, which I always like, as well as Naoto dropping her tough guy mask a bit more.

There was, I confess, a fair amount employed in this episode to sell you on the memory loss plot that I was impressed by. The use of the video camera episode, as well as Rise's photographs, was a pretty nice set-up. Some of it wasn't, though, like Teddie's out of character diss on the other girls' figures for the sake of both declaring Marie has the best body and forcing a rather heavy handed "ZOMG WE DON'T REMEMBER" moment.

Yukiko's antics during the ghost story scene, and in fact the entire scene itself, were a pretty good way to incorporate that material and keep it more focused than it was in the game.

Although I don't much care for the "we're forgetting someone we love!" plotline since it's been used twice already in Persona, I can admit they most of the work they needed to make it come across nicely. What it lacked, I felt, was a distinct set-up in a previous episode. There was no Margaret announcing it, and so I think that many people may have been confused and thrown off by why the team forgot someone they'd spent 7ish episodes hanging with. Even after they remembered her, there wasn't much in the way of an explanation as to why, though that may yet be addressed in upcoming episodes.

There is also the completely unforgivable cabin scene. I mean, 8 different possibilities and combinations and gags to work with and they throw them all away for the sake of reinforcing the point that Marie, and Marie alone, is special to Yu. It was a pretty big mishandling of what I expect is sort of a favorite for many.

Which touches upon the final problem, and I grant that some may feel this is unfair: a lot of this episode would've been seen differently if it hadn't been focused upon Marie, specifically. Or rather, had this anime played out in a way that would have not set Marie up as an all consuming, undeserving object of every single living thing's affections, things could have been much more easily received. It's sort of the singular problem with Marie in both the game and the anime; if Marie had been treated as one of the gang, and developed as one of them, she would have been much easier to accept than she currently is. Because the way I see her currently, it feels too much to me like there is too much effort placed upon setting Marie apart, making her somehow different and special.

I don't want to make this into much of a rant, but I think that Labrys always serves as a good contrast to Marie. She has parts which are every bit as contrived, yes, like being yet another robot and being the first heroine since Maki to have so much of a game focused upon her and her issues, but at the same time, with Labrys, a large amount of effort is placed upon making her one of the team, and talking about how her Shadow problem isn't any different from them. The focus is largely upon making her part of the team and getting that position earned, whereas I feel with Marie too much of that position is given.

But I digress. The point is simply that, had they taken the time to build Marie as an equal, rather than special, I could see myself liking her and this episode so, so much more.

Man Makoto's English voice is actually good in Persona Q. It's more low and deep compared to Yosuke's voice. I always imagined Makoto with Sasuke's voice. Great job Yuri.

Persona 4 Golden anime impressions:
even when Marie isn't there physically she still manages to steal time from the show.
Idk about you all but I'm glad that this is only 1-couer long. If it were to be 2... I would of dropped it already. Too much Marie for me.

Not only was she not there, the very memories of her were erased from everyone's minds. And still she manages to take over the entire episode.

Also, Kanji is really prone to sudden bursts of QUALITY:
WbLM9v8.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I hesitate to get into Persona Q due to the whole old-school dungeon-crawling thing (playing Strange Journey was just painful). But every time I see these characters monologuing and interacting in trailers, I get hyped. What do I do!

There's an easy mode if you just want to play the game for the story.

What are the chances the X1 is going to have P5?

probably 0%. Sony is most likely fronting the cost of the PS4 version and there is no audience for these types of games on the Xbox in Japan. Microsoft is gonna have to open up their wallet since Atlus certainly isn't gonna take the financial risk of making it for Xbox.

PK Gaming

Gaspsona 4: The Gasping Gaspination 09

It takes a special group of people to come up with an episode like this. I mean what can I say? This episode was amazingly, astoundingly, supremely bad. This episode was so dull, so uninspired
that to me, it serves as a monument to this show's mediocrity. The kingpin of bad. I mean goddamn, how could they bungle such a simple concept? The Investigation team go on a ski trip. Fun ensues. And yet somehow
against all odds they manage to fuck it up. It's incredibly telling that P4G version of the events manages to be capture the true spirit of a ski trip, despite relying on low quality models. It was infinitely more enjoyable to watch too, which is just plain
embarrassing when you think about it. I can't get over how they completely ruined the scary story segment. What was once a good time has turned into such a lame, angst-ridden snooze fest. What is this shit, I wanted my goddamn scary
stories! Instead, they opted to lace every single moment of this episode with "Marie." And that
ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the problem with this episode. Despite not actually physically appearing in this episode, Marie
somehow manages to completely dominate this episode. Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marei Maire Maere aMare Mara mAramr Mrarmar!?! You thought the band episode was bad. You don't know bad. I could feel the writers shoving
Marie down my throat. I hate how this anime makes Marie out to be this precious, ultimate goddess of light for Yu. I hate how this anime shoves everyone to the way side. I hate everyone is reduced to less-than caricatures for the sake of brevity (and MARIE). You know, I think I could have
enjoyed this episode. Like it's really bad, but if it was somewhat entertaining, I think I could have had a good time. But it wasn't. and I didn't. This episode was just too

2ZMwFeu.png

Boring.

GASP! The enemy!

Alright! Thank you for the suggestions, all. I just tried EOIV and I think I could tolerate that, as long as the dungeons don't get too big and bendy and there's enough character interactions. I'm getting Persona Q, then!

... in November.

Let the Labyrinth take you...find joy in mastering it and with it, your fear.

Squire

Banned
What are the chances the X1 is going to have P5?

No one really knows, despite the people in this thread definitively saying no.

We don't know and we won't until Atlus USA updates us on the status of their P5 localization. They have yet to release that trailer officially in English and they treat the regions differently with regards to SKUs released. P4AU is a PS3 exclusive in Japan, for example.

So yeah. We don't know until they say.

Nachos

english character videos
P3 Hero
P4 Hero
Hopefully John can answer this, but I'm wondering why the audio bit rate takes such a nosedive during the battle sections of both trailers. It sounds nice and clear everywhere else, but there, it just sounds tinny and muffled. I was under the impression that Atlus had access to all the master tracks before needing to compress them, so the quality difference just seems really weird.

No one really knows, despite the people in this thread definitively saying no.

We don't know and we won't until Atlus USA updates us on the status of their P5 localization. They have yet to release that trailer officially in English and they treat the regions differently with regards to SKUs released. P4AU is a PS3 exclusive in Japan, for example.

So yeah. We don't know until they say.
Totally. If it happens, it'll entirely be because of the international markets. Given their size, I think it'd be smarter to focus on their announced platforms, and then Sega could outsource a port if one's wanted. This is incredibly unlikely, but for all we know, it might come to the 360. There's just so much we don't (and never will) know.

Meia

Hopefully John can answer this, but I'm wondering why the audio bit rate takes such a nosedive during the battle sections of both trailers. It sounds nice and clear everywhere else, but there, it just sounds tinny and muffled. I was under the impression that Atlus had access to all the master tracks before needing to compress them, so the quality difference just seems really weird.

Honestly, even in the japanese trailers the character voice quality took a drastic nosedive when they were in battle as well. I'm not overly surprised to see the same thing happen here, as it's probably some limitation with the hardware itself.

Totally. If it happens, it'll entirely be because of the international markets. Given their size, I think it'd be smarter to focus on their announced platforms, and then Sega could outsource a port if one's wanted. This is incredibly unlikely, but for all we know, it might come to the 360. There's just so much we don't (and never will) know.
If the international markets mattered for these types of games then there would have been xbox ports of the Tales games, the Atelier games, all the Disgaea and Nippon Ichi games, Drakengard, and pretty much every other Japanese game that has an "anime" slant towards it. I can say with confidence that Persona 5 will not be on the Xbox.

Dantis

Re: P4GA episode 9

I can't. An episode based on the scene(s) with the most distilled fun shouldn't be this, well, boring. Kanji/Naoto is always good fun, as are the rest of the skiing shenanigans. But it felt like the majority of the runtime focused on Narukami staring into the wind. Not the most compelling form of television. I did like how they tied things back to a previous episode though. But yeah. This episode exists. D-

One thing I noticed was that some of the crew had on referential attire:
- At the beginning, Kanji has on a yellow skeleton shirt, bearing a striking resemblance to his own persona's skeletal look.
- Yosuke's ski outfit has the phrase Giraiya Setsuwa(?) on the lower back, which I assume is the Japanese romanization/spelling of his persona, Jiraiya.
- Rise's hoodie has "Lovers 06" written on the front and back, referring to her arcana The Lovers― which just so happens to be the sixth (VI) one.
- Kanji and Yosuke have random years on their ski outfits, but I don't think they mean anything(?)
- There is a single spade on Naoto's ski hood. Perhaps an ace... detective??? /reaching

All of this may very well have been in Golden, but I can't remember lol

All of those outfits are indeed in Golden. The ones you mention at first are the mid-winter outfits without the jackets, and the skiing ones are (obviously) from the ski trip.

All of those outfits are indeed in Golden. The ones you mention at first are the mid-winter outfits without the jackets, and the skiing ones are (obviously) from the ski trip.

Not only that but the outfit Chie is wearing during this episode's poor attempt at the ghost stories segment is very similar to her Bruce Lee game of death-esque costume that you can get for her.

Squire

Banned
If the international markets mattered for these types of games then there would have been xbox ports of the Tales games, the Atelier games, all the Disgaea and Nippon Ichi games, Drakengard, and pretty much every other Japanese game that has an "anime" slant towards it. I can say with confidence that Persona 5 will not be on the Xbox.

???

Guess Who

Banned
Catherine probably only made it to 360 because it was on Gamebryo, which was multiplatform from the start and required minimal effort to port.

Dantis

Catherine probably only made it to 360 because it was on Gamebryo, which was multiplatform from the start and required minimal effort to port.

I don't think there's such a thing as 'minimal effort' when it comes to porting games. Even moreso between PS3 and 360.

Squire

Banned

I don't think there's such a thing as 'minimal effort' when it comes to porting games. Even moreso between PS3 and 360.

Also, no one knows what there engine is, but the last one they licensed was PhyreEngine, which runs on your toaster. *shrug*

Dantis

I think an Xbox release is possible, though if it did happen, I think it would be further down the line. I imagine all of their resources are being consumed just by the PS3 and PS4 releases. Honestly, I'm really surprised that they're pulling off a cross-gen game altogether.

You're painting "niche games" with an awfully broad brush though. Persona is very obviously more popular than Disgeae and probably multiple times over in the case of NISAs other games.

Ok, even if it was more popular, which I do agree on, an Xbox port would have been announced when Atlus USA was officially announcing their localization plans similarly to how they announced a 360 version of Ultimax was announced. An Xbox version for this game would purely be for American audiences so Atlus proper would have no reason to announce it themselves.

I wasn't aware Microsoft only had one console. Whoops!

I only mentioned 360 because if it was going to come to xbox wouldn't Atlus USA have announced a 360 version back when they announced a ps3 version, they did for ultimax. It would be kind of odd to ignore a 360 version and only do a port to the Xbox one, unless they go for a late port like Dantis said in which case a 360 version would be unlikely as most people will have moved to next gen.

I think an Xbox release is possible, though if it did happen, I think it would be further down the line. I imagine all of their resources are being consumed just by the PS3 and PS4 releases. Honestly, I'm really surprised that they're pulling off a cross-gen game altogether.

Yeah thats what I see as the main reason. They probably have their hands full with just PS3/4.

Squire

Banned
I don't wanna argue this anymore, but I will say every time you guys bring up Atlus and "resources" you make it sound they're this indie team of 20 people with no budget and no room to realize their vision.

Like, "resources" is one of this communitys' greatest memes.

Guess Who

Banned

It certainly makes it a lot simpler when your middleware lays the groundwork for you. I'm not saying there was no effort, of course, but I'm sure it took nowhere near the effort or cost it would take had they, for instance, developed their own engine for PS3 and had to port it to 360.

MSMrRound

072656929c9f856c6fc11375444e16d1a15a.png

but I think this is a concert?

Yup. Only 4 of them and no band, according to Lotus Juice himself:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lotusjuicefanclub/permalink/981185318564333/

Guess I meant in the US. Just wondering because alot of the others came to both. Hopefully there is more info later at TGS.

Mainstream Persona numbered titles are traditionally Sony-exclusive. Doubt you will see much info about a "P5 on XBox One" this coming month, especially when one can see how the Persona brand is viewed with such importance by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan-Asia themselves. With the way they dropped it at the Sony pre-TGS conference, it was pretty obvious they are banking on it as one of the major titles to convince Japanese gamers to make the leap over to the PS4.

Personally, after the pre-TGS conference, I'm also more inclined to jump over to the PS4 now more than ever. All I need is a Valkyria Chronicles 4 for the PS4 to seal the deal. *Dreams*

Sophia

No band is interesting, seeing as members of the band have typically been Atlus Staff. Guess they're hard at work on Persona 5.

I can't help but wonder if Sony themselves had something to do with the transition of P5 to the PS4. Just like we all have said before, Atlus tend to run on older hardware even when a new gen comes out. It was going to be like that again, so I can only imagine that Sony had a hand on this. You don't see anyone complaining though, it was their best move tbh.

That's the idea that I'm leaning towards too.

01 September 2014 was a glorious day. Totally wasn't expecting that to drop.

"[03:36:55] <MSMrRound> LEGIT CRYING NOW"

I feel like that day is going to go down in history.

Kind of off topic, but it's kind of like SMTIV's release date, 16th of July. I'll never forget it, cuz it was the day I became an official Canadian resident :p

Squire

Banned
I can't help but wonder if Sony themselves had something to do with the transition of P5 to the PS4. Just like we all have said before, Atlus tend to run on older hardware even when a new gen comes out. It was going to be like that again, so I can only imagine that Sony had a hand on this. You don't see anyone complaining though, it was their best move tbh.

Sony hasn't spent any money because they'd tell you if that was the case and Atlus is owned by Sega, which seems to be set to publish Ultimax in Australia/Europe and has already funded multiple cross-gen games.

Sega getting them is turning out to be nothing but good, so far.

Sony hasn't spent any money because they'd tell you if that was the case and Atlus is owned by Sega, which seems to be set to publish Ultimax in Australia/Europe and has already funded multiple cross-gen games.

Sega getting them is turning out to be nothing but good, so far.

Don't mistake overpriced, download only games, for being good. It's more like; better than nothing.

If Sega actually publish Ultimax on a disc at a reasonable price I will be gobsmacked.

It's odd how it's looking like Sega will be publishing Ultimax in Europe (hopefully same week as US) yet they won't be publishing Persona Q. I wonder if Sega will be dealing with Europe for all games from Ultimax onwards or if it will only be select games.

It's odd how it's looking like Sega will be publishing Ultimax in Europe (hopefully same week as US) yet they won't be publishing Persona Q. I wonder if Sega will be dealing with Europe for all games from Ultimax onwards or if it will only be select games.

Possibly all games that aren't on Nintendo platforms?

Top Bottom