• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Hugstable

Banned
I hope that any future Arena games abandon the need for a canon storyline and just go bananas and give me characters that a canon storyline couldn't.

I want to main The Fuhrer.

2347910-1897161_persona_2_hitler_sunglasses1.png

PK Gaming

I wonder if a hypothetical Arena 3 would be a fresh start as well and ditch most of the characters from the P-1 Grandprix arc.

On the one hand, a new cast would definitely be a nice change of pace and I definitely don't want to see them revisiting the P3-P4 characters again.

But on the other hand, the existing characters have awesome movesets. Doesn't seem right to just throw them away.

Zebetite

Banned
On the one hand, a new cast would definitely be a nice change of pace and I definitely don't want to see them revisiting the P3-P4 characters again.

But on the other hand, the existing characters have awesome movesets. Doesn't seem right to just throw them away.

They could probably have a few characters return in much the same way that a few Persona 3 characters showed up in Persona 4 Arena. Then throw the others in as some sort of explicitly-labelled "Extra Characters" who are distinguished by not featuring in the Story Mode.

They could also do that with the entire old cast, but at that point you might have a Story Mode that only features like 8 characters. Maybe that would be okay, maybe it wouldn't.

I don't particularly care about Story Mode so it doesn't bother me either way! But like you said, it'd be a waste to just throw those movesets away.

Setsu00

Wasn't P4A Ultimax branded as the last chapter or something? Or maybe that's just the Japanese wording.

It was branded as the last chapter of the P-1 Grandprix arc. Hashino also said that the P-1 Grandprix is over and if they ever do another Arena game, they'd make a whole new storyline. He never commented on using existing characters, though.

Wasn't P4A Ultimax branded as the last chapter or something? Or maybe that's just the Japanese wording.

I think it was just said to be the final chapter in the P-1 Grand Prix, or something similar. I really can't see the next arena game having no P4 and P3 characters especially because I imagine another arena game would come between P5 and P6 meaning cutting the P3 and P4 characters would likely leave you with a tiny roster. I imagine the likely scenario is that they cut out some characters and then maybe come back to them again in the future.

Don't know if it has been posted but here are the English Trailers for Yu and Makoto in Persona Q:
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/persona-q-english-character-trailers-protagonists

I really like Yuri's new take on Makoto. I know his voice clips in 3 were dead on Yosuke haha. Here he sounds like I expect Makoto to sound.

Edit: Thanks to PK for giving me my new Yosuking avatar! Its only appropriate considering he isn't the adviser type in Ultimax anymore lol.

Setsu00

Don't know if it has been posted but here are the English Trailers for Yu and Makoto in Persona Q:

I really like Yuri's new take on Makoto. I know his voice clips in 3 were dead on Yosuke haha. Here he sounds like I expect Makoto to sound.

I'm glad they managed to give Makoto a different tone from Yosuke. I still prefer Akira Ishida's version of the character, though. His voice is more soothing than Lowenthal's. The performance will be probably grow on me, however.

arue

Wow I'm surprised that P3MC actually doesn't sound like Yosuke in this one. I listened to the Japanese and English videos back to back, and they both almost sound the same!

I said almost because Akira Ishida is one of my favorite VAs and no one can match him. :p
He's literally using the same voice as Kaworu too.

He should've given up the ghost and did that from the start, honestly.

Funny enough, he basically did in the P4 Anime English dub, particularly during the battle scenes.

Still, I'm quite happy with the English dub trailers as I avoided the Japanese ones, only because I'm so used to hearing their voices in English. Even watching P4GA, it's hard listening to the Japanese dub because of that same fact.

Village

Hopefully then it will be called Persona Arena, with everyone returning + P5 characters (and some P3 and P2 characters).
While I know this will problably be impossible because arc sys can do the 3d's now and there would be no reason not to do It for persona arena but I would lik everyone from ultimax to return playable in whatever the next thing is

So did anybody else watch the new episode of P4GA? I thought is was okay, not bad but also not as good as last week's episode. I'm not really great in reviewing things so I'll leave it at that.

I hope that any future Arena games abandon the need for a canon storyline and just go bananas and give me characters that a canon storyline couldn't.

I want to main The Fuhrer.

I'd like something like Tekken Tag Tournament where there is a non-canon storyline that is just used as an excuse to have all the Persona characters (and hell all the Shin Megami Tensei characters as well) duke it out. It will have every Persona Protagonist, the Demi Fiend, Soldier Kun, Raidou Kuzunoha, Tamaki Uchida, Nemissa, and Vincent as the Dan stand-in. It will also have Dante from the Devil May Cry series as day one DLC.

I'd like something like Tekken Tag Tournament where there is a non-canon storyline that is just used as an excuse to have all the Persona characters (and hell all the Shin Megami Tensei characters as well) duke it out.

I too would like this if they also make it with the Tekken mechanics.

english character videos
P3 Hero
P4 Hero
YES YES YES! Finally! Thank you ATLUS USA! And those videos actually don't suck compared to the Japanese ones! (although P3MC having no Orpheus summon was weird)

I really like Yuri's interpretation of P3MC, it sounds so cool and really different from Yosuke. I wonder what he thinks of the character after voicing him for a few lines years ago. And Yu's "ME EAT YOU WHOLE" still gets me.

Given what I've seen of Ultimax, and know about Q, Arena 3 or not, we'll need SOMETHING to give Q meaning.
And Atlus did say it ties into continuity, but it would be a spoiler to say how. So that implies something is coming further down the line. (Probably tied in with P5)
Anyone else think so, or am I just overthinking it?

Given what I've seen of Ultimax, and know about Q, Arena 3 or not, we'll need SOMETHING to give Q meaning.
And Atlus did say it ties into continuity, but it would be a spoiler to say how. So that implies something is coming further down the line. (Probably tied in with P5)
Anyone else think so, or am I just overthinking it?
Pls don't talk about PQ like that when the first trailers just released.

From the thread in the gaming side:
When I heard the P3 protagonist's voice I was like
twoyosukes.png
Also, who's the one who says "Who are you?" in P3MC's trailer?

Cross quoting from the Vita wallpaper thread:
Otherwise, here's your Persona 2 stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/nEjM0Sm.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2CQ5v73.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xZAiqvx.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vtinjRK.jpg
Not sure if they're P2 spoilers (full cast, ensemble shot), so I've left them as links. Except for that last one. Because hearts.

There are a lot more Persona wallpapers in that thread, I'd recommend skimming through it if you're bored. It's huge and disorganized though lol

Dantis

I find JYB's voice off-putting.

Think I'll be going the Makoto route, as much as I like Narukami. Or maybe I'll just play without the voices, haha.

NichM

Banned
I find JYB's voice off-putting.

Think I'll be going the Makoto route, as much as I like Narukami. Or maybe I'll just play without the voices, haha.

Well, if you went the P3 Hero route, then the P4 Hero would have spoken dialogue. So if you don't like the P4 Hero's voice actor, then his is the route you want to take. (I think?)

Dantis

Well, if you went the P3 Hero route, then the P4 Hero would have spoken dialogue. So if you don't like the P4 Hero's voice actor, then his is the route you want to take. (I think?)

Oh really? So the one you play as becomes silent?

That's pretty cool, and completely fine. I like both protagonists, I just don't like JYB as Yu.

cj_iwakura

Cross quoting from the Vita wallpaper thread:

Not sure if they're P2 spoilers (full cast, ensemble shot), so I've left them as links. Except for that last one. Because hearts.

There are a lot more Persona wallpapers in that thread, I'd recommend skimming through it if you're bored. It's huge and disorganized though lol

They're not.

CorvoSol

It's like absolutely no one is allowed to have any screen time of importance if their name isn't Marie. I mean, they could've done a million things with that cabin scene and instead they're like "Fuck it, only Marie is canon." and that was that.

In a way it is reassuring to know that the show has returned to its awful status quo. I can go back to not expecting anything good from it.

At least the "Where's Marie?" shit was better than when Clannad did this plotline. Not that that's hard.

I hesitate to get into Persona Q due to the whole old-school dungeon-crawling thing (playing Strange Journey was just painful). But every time I see these characters monologuing and interacting in trailers, I get hyped. What do I do!

I hesitate to get into Persona Q due to the whole old-school dungeon-crawling thing (playing Strange Journey was just painful). But every time I see these characters monologuing and interacting in trailers, I get hyped. What do I do!
Try playing the EO demos from the eShop and see if you actually manage to enjoy them or at least endure them for a Persona game.

Edit: forget that: It's Persona Q SO GO BUY THAT. It has a lot options to make the game comfortable for only-Persona fans.

Wow, only 5 minutes or so in, but this episode (the ninth) looks really BAD.

Every canon pairing (?) is having a fun time skiing and snowboarding - and Yu starts staring into the nothingness. Rise doesn't deserve this.

It's like absolutely no one is allowed to have any screen time of importance if their name isn't Marie. I mean, they could've done a million things with that cabin scene and instead they're like "Fuck it, only Marie is canon." and that was that.

In a way it is reassuring to know that the show has returned to its awful status quo. I can go back to not expecting anything good from it.

At least the "Where's Marie?" shit was better than when Clannad did this plotline. Not that that's hard.

The cabin scene was my favorite new scene from Golden, especially (ski trip spoilers, I guess)
if you end up getting lost with the guys
. They could have done that if
they didn't want Narukami to end up in the cabin with any of the girls
, but nope. Let's have (spoilers for this episode)
a three-minute scene of Narukami remembering Marie.

Persona 4 Golden anime impressions:
even when Marie isn't there physically she still manages to steal time from the show.
Idk about you all but I'm glad that this is only 1-couer long. If it were to be 2... I would of dropped it already. Too much Marie for me.

As for both trailers, I think they were awesome. I will be playing as Makoto (obviously) so I won't hear him much outside of battles I guess, but I find that Yuri's voice suits him. November seems so far from now.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I'm starting P4GA Episode 9.

Should I run away now or can I start watching it?

Maybe?

But I'm a moron because I liked it.

You mean
that little girl who carved stars to remind people about her sisters wedding?

they didn't want Narukami to end up in the cabin with any of the girls
, but nope. Let's have (spoilers for this episode)
a three-minute scene of Narukami remembering Marie.

I got lost with Naoto. BTW

Play it, man. It's Persona 3 and 4 together. Few things could be better. Just put it on easy.

Sophia

Don't let this stop you from playing the game. Turn on auto-mapping and play it like Persona 3 or Persona 4.

PK Gaming

Echoing what the others said; jump in! The dungeon crawling is EO (and easier than it's ever been due to automapping), but the battle system is 100% Persona.

Re: P4GA episode 9

I can't. An episode based on the scene(s) with the most distilled fun shouldn't be this, well, boring. Kanji/Naoto is always good fun, as are the rest of the skiing shenanigans. But it felt like the majority of the runtime focused on Narukami staring into the wind. Not the most compelling form of television. I did like how they tied things back to a previous episode though. But yeah. This episode exists. D-

One thing I noticed was that some of the crew had on referential attire:
- At the beginning, Kanji has on a yellow skeleton shirt, bearing a striking resemblance to his own persona's skeletal look.
- Yosuke's ski outfit has the phrase Giraiya Setsuwa(?) on the lower back, which I assume is the Japanese romanization/spelling of his persona, Jiraiya.
- Rise's hoodie has "Lovers 06" written on the front and back, referring to her arcana The Lovers― which just so happens to be the sixth (VI) one.
- Kanji and Yosuke have random years on their ski outfits, but I don't think they mean anything(?)
- There is a single spade on Naoto's ski hood. Perhaps an ace... detective??? /reaching

All of this may very well have been in Golden, but I can't remember lol

Alright! Thank you for the suggestions, all. I just tried EOIV and I think I could tolerate that, as long as the dungeons don't get too big and bendy and there's enough character interactions. I'm getting Persona Q, then!

... in November.

Top Bottom