• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

You totally can, but there is a canonical name there by default, like with most FF games.
Oh alright then, thanks.
--------------------------------------------
I don't think I even want to watch any P4GA episodes anymore since they're so awful, so I'm gonna skip ahead and just watch the skip trip scene from in-game. Like I said before, I love the cutscene
because it has the canon pairings
.The telling ghost stories was nice, with Yosuke referencing P3 and you being able to talk about the Velvet Room and Igor. Everyone fighting over the protagonist lol "I really wanted to ski with you Yosuke."

So I went with guys route because bros befores waifus.
Again, the guys' chemistry with each other is sooo good. "And don't do any jokes like "Oh, that snowman is talking" lmao Everyone not bringing their phones/battery dead/no service haha. "Oh yeah, like a big, thick, fuzzy bag is gonna be just sitting here-" "If the four of you come in, my innocence will be destroyed!"
Holy crap all those innuendos. And just after that: "Senpai! No, don't leave me!" "They're still dressed" "Is this one of those male-bonding things or something?" I love you Rise.

Dungeon spoiler/(P4 spoilers):
Margaret meeting the cast kinda bothers me, but eh, it has happened before. I like the connection of the "Hollow Forest" lines of Ameno sagiri, but the dungeon seems to suck with the SP rule. Marie's confrontation with them was cheesy for me lol specially since Naoto didn't even know her. Marie's connection to the plot....I dunno what to think about it.
Anyways, they try too hard with the Protagonist
XMarie love
, gross.

I can't believe Golden adds TWO hot springs scenes, and the transition to that is so bad too. At least the guys trying to peep in was funny. But seriously, of all the moments that P4 had they decided to use the budget of cutscenes for those scenes? They could have used it for something better, like Rise's Shadow.
:p

Valentines Day: All the happy scenes were so awesome and brought a smile to my face. The guys and Nanako's scenes were pretty good too. And, while I get that the sad scenes, are well, sad and do make you feel guilty about, I don't think they are as bad as some people make them out to be.

The moments that they show between Feb 15 to his leaving are sooo good. Specially when the try to mimic the group photo but with actual characters models haha

Epilogue: I have already seen this scene before but whatevs.
Nice to see Namatame doing well.
Eh, having the epilogue after the ending kills it for me. And imo everyone's previous designs were better than the epilogue's ones (cept for Chie's and Nanako's), and so this means I like better the previous group photo. I suppose the epilogue is somewhat nice, including the reference to Arena.
And Marie totally stole the job from the weather woman I had a crush on.

Guess Who

Banned
All mentions of Lisa in the menu and battle screen have been changed to Ginko

tumblr_m3990deU0I1rtjdqwo1_500.jpg

DNAbro

So I decided to catch up on a bit on Persona 4 Golden the Animation. I just have to say holy shit at the
Adachi
episodes. It's exactly what I wanted from it. I need that song during the fight by itself pronto.

Verder

So I decided to catch up on a bit on Persona 4 Golden the Animation. I just have to say holy shit at the
Adachi
episodes. It's exactly what I wanted from it. I need that song during the fight by itself pronto.

Yu beat the living shit out of
Adachi
. Those punches have got to hurt.

Of course, They not just gonna stop pushing her after going this far.

I'd actually like to see everyone in the game just because of the excellent character models they are using.
And all this stuff about pushing Marie is being blown out of proportion imo. It's only natural to have her included in Ultimax and as for the anime, it's dedicated specifically to the Golden stuff so of course she's featured prominently.

Meia

I'd actually like to see everyone in the game just because of the excellent character models they are using.
And all this stuff about pushing Marie is being blown out of proportion imo. It's only natural to have her included in Ultimax and as for the anime, it's dedicated specifically to the Golden stuff so of course she's featured prominently.

The problem isn't necessarily her being featured, but it's how it's being done. Slapping her into all of new scenes that only occur in Golden makes a bit of sense, but there's very little thought done to it. She's not one of the gang in some of these, it's like she's a second leader of the group. Not sure what other people feel, but I loved Persona 4 and the IT because it felt like a group, where none were really above the other. I don't get that same feeling with Marie in this.

The only way they could have done this justice was for it to be a longer show(than even the first anime), and have her more integrated into the actual story so she feels like an actual character, not an add-on. A lot of us lost almost all hope seeing how short the show was, and wow.

Marie's problem has always been how she's been inserted into the story. She wasn't in enough to carry much emotional weight when it was her time to shine in Golden, and she's in the anime mostly to the detriment of the other IT. It's shocking to me that they would choose the wrong way on both opposite sides of the spectrum, yet here we are. :p

The problem isn't necessarily her being featured, but it's how it's being done. Slapping her into all of new scenes that only occur in Golden makes a bit of sense, but there's very little thought done to it. She's not one of the gang in some of these, it's like she's a second leader of the group. Not sure what other people feel, but I loved Persona 4 and the IT because it felt like a group, where none were really above the other. I don't get that same feeling with Marie in this.

The only way they could have done this justice was for it to be a longer show(than even the first anime), and have her more integrated into the actual story so she feels like an actual character, not an add-on. A lot of us lost almost all hope seeing how short the show was, and wow.

Marie's problem has always been how she's been inserted into the story. She wasn't in enough to carry much emotional weight when it was her time to shine in Golden, and she's in the anime mostly to the detriment of the other IT. It's shocking to me that they would choose the wrong way on both opposite sides of the spectrum, yet here we are. :p

Sure but the way some people talk makes you think that they're shoving her into every Atlus game or making a whole series of games about her when it all comes down to issues regarding the anime.
And though her SL was lackluster I thought the way she was incorporated into the game's plot was way more interesting than her just being another classmate that gets kidnapped and then joins the team, though it's a shame she isn't playable.

Sophia

Marie's role in the game is simply one of poor utilization; it's not that she's a bad character, but it's clear they didn't quite know what to do with her. She fills in a specific aspect of the story in Golden that was missing from the original game, but otherwise she's not very well inserted into the story. She screws with the endings a bit too, messing up the carefully balanced nature of the endings. She would have been better off as a party member, but it's understandable they didn't want to re-record so many lines of dialogue just to do that, especially with how big Persona 4's script already was.

Marie's role in the anime, however, is just straight up fanfiction of the worst kind. And the writers know it. And they don't care. Because the Persona 4 Golden anime is not a work filled with love towards the product or it's fans, but a pile of crap ordered out by a marketing team on a Sunday morning. When they realized they could get more money out of the newly founded extended fanbase. Stealing the roles of other characters within the story is one of the most classic Mary Sue traits there is. In fact, over at TVTropes under Story Elements, it's the very first thing listed. There's no excuse for it at all for it to be this way, as they had more than enough material to adopt just the new content without inserting her into every scene and stealing all the roles of the original characters. Coincidentally, the best episode so far has been the one where she isn't involved at all.

I think the band episode exemplifies just how much they don't care with the anime adaptation. Marie straight up steals Rise's role in the scene. It would have been fine if she was simply good at a guitar. It would have been fine if she was actually a decent singer, thus providing Rise with backup vocals or helping further Rise's own character development as an idol. But no, she does all of that and more. She straight up steals the scene from Rise, to the point where they have to come up with a weird plot and nonsensically insert Rise in at the last second just for it to even remotely resemble the original scene. It's awful. Inexcusable, even.

kewlmyc

Marie's role in the game is simply one of poor utilization; it's not that she's a bad character, but it's clear they didn't quite know what to do with her. She fills in a specific aspect of the story in Golden that was missing from the original game, but otherwise she's not very well inserted into the story. She screws with the endings a bit too, messing up the carefully balanced nature of the endings. She would have been better off as a party member, but it's understandable they didn't want to re-record so many lines of dialogue just to do that, especially with how big Persona 4's script already was.

Marie's role in the anime, however, is just straight up fanfiction of the worst kind. And the writers know it. And they don't care. Because the Persona 4 Golden anime is not a work filled with love towards the product or it's fans, but a pile of crap ordered out by a marketing team on a Sunday morning. When they realized they could get more money out of the newly founded extended fanbase. Stealing the roles of other characters within the story is one of the most classic Mary Sue traits there is. In fact, over at TVTropes under Story Elements, it's the very first thing listed. There's no excuse for it at all for it to be this way, as they had more than enough material to adopt just the new content without inserting her into every scene and stealing all the roles of the original characters. Coincidentally, the best episode so far has been the one where she isn't involved at all.

I think the band episode exemplifies just how much they don't care with the anime adaptation. Marie straight up steal Rise's role in the scene. It would have been fine if she was simply good at a guitar. It would have been fine if she was actually a decent singer, thus providing Rise with backup vocals or helping further Rise's own character development as an idol. But no, she does all of that and more. She straight up steals the scene from Rise, to the point where they have to come up with a weird plot and nonsensically insert Rise in at the last second just for it to even remotely resemble the original scene. It's awful. Inexcusable, even.

The Christmas episode or the [Redacted] episodes?

Tamanon

Banned
I've had no issues with Marie's insertion into the story in P4GA personally. I understand why some would, but to me it's just another tale with characters I know. Honestly, I've really enjoyed the series as a whole.

DNAbro

I think the band episode exemplifies just how much they don't care with the anime adaptation. Marie straight up steals Rise's role in the scene. It would have been fine if she was simply good at a guitar. It would have been fine if she was actually a decent singer, thus providing Rise with backup vocals or helping further Rise's own character development as an idol. But no, she does all of that and more. She straight up steals the scene from Rise, to the point where they have to come up with a weird plot and nonsensically insert Rise in at the last second just for it to even remotely resemble the original scene. It's awful. Inexcusable, even.

jesus it's like they literally took this tv tropes article and made Marie around it.

LX_Theo

Banned
Think this has been said before, but I will note again... A Persona x Danganronpa crossover would be one of the best things ever.

Sallokin

Oh cool, I hadn't realised this was out yet.

Any idea how much of it is Soejima stuff?

I haven't looked through it fully, but I didn't immediately see anything new from him, I see lots of stuff from Himukai and Nagasawa though and it's really nice. The opening 10 or so pages are all key art and not a single piece has his name on it.

Sallokin, I have a question regarding that book and Persona Q spoilers if you're willing to answer it in PMs.

Ask away

Dantis

I'm going to go ahead and be a buzzkill, and say that I think a Persona and Danganronpa crossover would probably be terrible.

Setsu00

I haven't looked through it fully, but I didn't immediately see anything new from him, I see lots of stuff from Himukai and Nagasawa though and it's really nice. The opening 10 or so pages are all key art and not a single piece has his name on it.

There should be some character concept art by Soejima, though. Rei and Zen sketches were part of the preview that was sent out last week, for example.

Sallokin

There should be some character concept art by Soejima, though. Rei and Zen sketches were part of the preview that was sent out last week, for example.

Yeah, I just haven't gotten that far yet probably and it's late here. There is a whole section marked "creation" I haven't really looked through yet.

EDIT: Ok, it seems like there's 10 pages of Soejima stuff and a brief Q and A section. Off to bed.

Top Bottom