• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Arizato

Do you think ATLUS will leave P3 and P4 alone after Dancing All Night? I don't really have a problem with all these spinoffs and "sequels". I am really happy that the Persona franchise got two great fighting games for example, it's a treatment that many series don't get. It was especially great considering back in 2010 when I first played through P3 and P4 me and a friend were discussing how awesome it would be to get a Persona fighting game made by Arc System Works.

That being said though I can understand why people just want ATLUS to move on to new games in the series. But can they really let P3 and P4 go after all the money they made?

Setsu00

Do you think ATLUS will leave P3 and P4 alone after Dancing All Night? I don't really have a problem with all these spinoffs and "sequels". I am really happy that the Persona franchise got two great fighting games for example, it's a treatment that many series don't get. It was especially great considering back in 2010 when I first played through P3 and P4 me and a friend were discussing how awesome it would be to get a Persona fighting game made by Arc System Works.

That being said though I can understand why people just want ATLUS to move on to new games in the series. But can they really let P3 and P4 go after all the money they made?

Please look forward to Persona 5 Arena featuring your favorite characters from the Persona series (minus Persona 1 and Persona 2).

Which is why they included a P4D trailer in the Vita segment of Sony's' presser instead of a P5 trailer during the PS4 segment.

Ice cold

For those who won't be able to watch the ATLUS TGS 2014 stage show: I will be recording it. I have NicoNico Premium - so it'll be easy for me to record it.

Based mystic

Oh lord almighty.

"Please enjoy the visuals"
"Penetrating"
"The Phantom Pear"

Were some of the highlights.

I died at Phantom Pear.

Oi4MScd.png

FluxWaveZ

Do you think ATLUS will leave P3 and P4 alone after Dancing All Night?

Not quite, since there are still the remaining Persona 3 movies to be released, that extra P4GA episode in December and the Persona 4 Arena stage show in December as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Persona 4 Arena or Persona Q get an anime adaptation, too.

In terms of games, though? Persona Q was pretty successful, and I have a feeling that they're not done with the Arena series, either. We probably won't get such a huge wave of Persona 3 and Persona 4 stuff all at the same time like we did this year after P4D's out, especially if they want to focus on Persona 5 afterwards and if the project Atlus is going to release in 2017 is Persona 6. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the P3/P4 cast again, however.

Edit: Holy cow, the latest game in the series is actually coming out in the US as Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

Heh, interesting. Wasn't expecting this to be on my radar for 2015 releases; I'll have to look into it.

Levito

Banned
Given the nature of fighting games/how they're updated and how successful Arena has been, the possibility of another one is pretty likely.

CorvoSol

Given the nature of fighting games/how they're updated and how successful Arena has been, the possibility of another one is pretty likely.

Especially since ATLUS isn't run like madmen like Square is.
*cries because there will never be a third Dissidia*

kewlmyc

That's unfortunate, the site is pretty trustworthy. Have you contacted them about it?

No they're not. They've sold bootleg figures in the past.

In terms of games, though? Persona Q was pretty successful, and I have a feeling that they're not done with the Arena series, either. We probably won't get such a huge wave of Persona 3 and Persona 4 stuff all at the same time like we did this year after P4D's out, especially if they want to focus on Persona 5 afterwards and if the project Atlus is going to release in 2017 is Persona 6. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the P3/P4 cast again, however.

Wait, what?

Dantis

I've been saying it for a while, but I fully expect a Persona 4-2 at some point, developed by the guys who were leads on the various spinoffs like Golden and Arena.

Not quite, since there are still the remaining Persona 3 movies to be released, that extra P4GA episode in December and the Persona 4 Arena stage show in December as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Persona 4 Arena or Persona Q get an anime adaptation, too.

Extra P4GA episode?

Yes. (Persona 4 spoilers)

LOL.

Man, I got so excited for a second there. Won't even bother watching that shit. I guess it's nice for the people interested in that particular plotline though.

wmlk

Can't wait to play Marie Returns: Persona 4, where you can dress up Marie using the entire Hot Topic catalogue as your wardrobe!

Dantis

So I saw that thread where everyone is putting The Evil Within text on their avatar, and I thought it might be fun to draw Glasses-kun's glasses on our avatars. Gonna do mine in a bit. If anyone else wants it done, let me know.

There's a 2017 title in development? When was this referenced?

I am reasonably sure that he's just guessing.

FluxWaveZ

There's a secret 2017 title? When was this referenced?

Ah, that's what you mean. So on July 29, Atlus talked about three titles they have in development: "that title" (aka EOUII), a game they started development on to be released in three years and a brand new IP (potentially Asraga Adventure Chronicle).

That title planned for release in 2017 is presumably not a new IP, since it probably would have been described as such given the other new IP they discussed. A title with a 3 year dev. cycle is likely relatively large, and it also sounds like how they were describing Persona 5 before it was officially announced. If we consider how P3 and P4 were likely partially developed simultaneously, how the two games released exactly two years apart from each other and how they would be using the engine they created specifically for P5 for future titles as well (an engine that is now adapted to the PS4), Persona 6 is a possibility.

Tamanon

Banned
I doubt Persona 6 is in development yet. Now, they might be ensuring that the engine in place for Persona 5 is easily used for the next game(a la 3/4). But I think they have their hands full with getting their first big console game in years from the Persona team up and running.

Setsu00

There's a 2017 title in development? When was this referenced?

In a recent Famitsu interview with Naoto Hiraoka, CEO of Atlus:

“I believe we’ll be able to announce ‘that title’ soon,” says Hiraoka. “At the moment, we’ve even begun development on a title that will be released in three years time.” Additionally, a brand new IP, similar to Catherine and Dragon’s Crown [as new standalone IPs] is in the works, too.

2014 + 3 = 2017. However, I'm pretty sure that this particular game is not Persona 6.

Setsu00

I'm kinda wish they would just drop the number and name it something else, at least then maybe we would get P1 & P2 characters.

Just calling it "Persona Arena" won't get characters from earlier Persona titles into it. The official reason why P1 and P2 characters are only vaguely referenced in later games is that the original writer, Satomi Tadashi, left Atlus. Hashino said that he doesn't want to use the characters from these games because he wasn't involved in their creation and because he doesn't know what Tadashi wanted to do with them. As far as I know, they had to beg Tadashi to come back for Eternal Punishment Portable to write the Tatsuya scenario.

Then again, there's also the fact that the PSP remakes of P1 and P2 sold poorly in Japan.

Squire

Banned
P3 and 4 were in dev at the same time, in case anyone forgot that.

Edit: P1 and P2 aren't popular even inside their niche. People should just reconcile that fact. There's no need to keep arguing that.

Just calling it "Persona Arena" won't get characters from earlier Persona titles into it. The official reason why P1 and P2 characters are only vaguely referenced in later games is that the original writer, Satomi Tadashi, left Atlus. Hashino said that he doesn't want to use the characters from these games because he wasn't involved in their creation and because he doesn't know what Tadashi wanted to do with them. As far as I know, they had to beg Tadashi to come back for Eternal Punishment Portable to write the Tatsuya scenario.

Then again, there's also the fact that the PSP remakes of P1 and P2 sold poorly in Japan.
Do you have sources or links to back that up, because everyone says that but no one has provided evidence to back it up that it's true. If not, it's just a rumor.

Sophia

Soejima: It was awhile ago, so don't quote me on that or anything, but I believe "P4" was officially set in motion just after "P3 FES" was released. I should mention that "Set in motion" doesn't necessarily mean that the story and characters started coming together. Far from it, infact.

From the Official Design Works for Persona 4. Further reading shows they were still in the concept phase then. While they did prelimiary work for P4 at the same time as P3, to say they were outright in development at the same time is misleading at best.

I think it was in either the P3 artbook or in one of the numerous other interviews they had.

Please do try to source it, if possible. This is not the first time misinformation has been spread around as gospel and fact before. Even I'm guilty of it in the past. >_>;

FluxWaveZ

From the Official Design Works for Persona 4. Further reading shows they were still in the concept phase then. While they did prelimiary work for P4 at the same time as P3, to say they were outright in development at the same time is misleading at best.

Hm, so that means P4 must have had approximately a 15 month dev. cycle, factoring in preliminary development. That's pretty crazy, though it does make sense with some of the other crazy stuff that was said like how they didn't use a design document.

Whatever that 2017 game is, I'm sure it will be impressive, and I bet it will be a console (PS3 and/or PS4) game.

Sophia

Also while we're talking about sales of the PSP remakes, the remake of Persona 1 did not sell poorly in Japan. At least 123,000 copies were sold, according to Famitsu. Probably more once you account that this article is just a month after it's release in Japan, and the US version hadn't come out yet.

It probably didn't sell as amazingly well as P3 or P4's handheld re-releases, but it hardly did poorly. Not by Atlus's usual standards anyhow.

Hm, so that means P4 must have had approximately a 15 month dev. cycle, factoring in preliminary development. That's pretty crazy, though it does make sense with some of the other crazy stuff that was said like how they didn't use a design document.

Whatever that 2017 game is, I'm sure it will be impressive, and I bet it will be a console (PS3 and/or PS4) game.

Soejima makes it clear they were doing preliminary work on Persona 4 at the same time as they were doing Persona 3 FES. I can't find the exact quote using Amazon's preview feature, but I'm pretty sure you're not too far off the mark and that Persona 4 spent two years in development, at least one of which was preliminary stuff.

Soejima: I'm pretty sure everyone on the team had "P3" and "P4" work going on simultaneously. I'd be thinking about "P4" while I worked on "P3" stuff, though. The Schedule for "P4" was already laid out, so we just did what we needed to do, while still sparing time to formulate ideas for "P4". Also, the people on our team are kind of slow starters when it comes to new projects. (laughs)

Also while we're talking about sales of the PSP remakes, the remake of Persona 1 did not sell poorly in Japan. At least 123,000 copies were sold, according to Famitsu. Probably more once you account that this article is just a month after it's release in Japan, and the US version hadn't come out yet.

It probably didn't sell as amazingly well as P3 or P4's handheld re-releases, but it hardly did poorly. Not by Atlus's usual standards anyhow.

P1P exceeded their expectations, P2ISP sold ok/mediocrely, P2EPP sold poorly

Edit: P1 and P2 aren't popular even inside their niche. People should just reconcile that fact. There's no need to keep arguing that.

Yes that may be true, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed into the game. Heck I've seen other fighting games have less popular character in their game, like Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 had Rocket Raccoon, and he was a fairly unknown character at the time.

Ah, that's what you mean. So on July 29, Atlus talked about three titles they have in development: "that title" (aka EOUII), a game they started development on to be released in three years and a brand new IP (potentially Asraga Adventure Chronicle).

That title planned for release in 2017 is presumably not a new IP, since it probably would have been described as such given the other new IP they discussed. A title with a 3 year dev. cycle is likely relatively large, and it also sounds like how they were describing Persona 5 before it was officially announced. If we consider how P3 and P4 were likely partially developed simultaneously, how the two games released exactly two years apart from each other and how they would be using the engine they created specifically for P5 for future titles as well (an engine that is now adapted to the PS4), Persona 6 is a possibility.
Wouldn't Devilizer be more likely as the 2017 title?

Squire

Banned
Yes that may be true, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed into the game. Heck I've seen other fighting games have less popular character in their game, like Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 had Rocket Raccoon, and he was a fairly unknown character at the time.

Nobody is saying they aren't allowed in the game. If anything, a producer of the game is saying he isn't comfortable with using them, but I guess you're waiting for a source on that or whatever.

Sophia

If anyone can actually find the quote where Hashino or any Atlus staff member said something along those lines, I'd love to see it. It's been an urban legend of sorts for quite awhile among Persona fans. But I've never actually seen it attributed anywhere.

Levito

Banned
Maybe they're saving the Persona 1/2 characters for the inevitable Spike Chunsoft vs. Atlus fighter developed by Arc System Works.

Dare to dream~

Wouldn't Devilizer be more likely as the 2017 title?

That's be really awesome if it was. Would love to see other SMT spin-offs make it onto consoles as well.

Daimaou

If anyone can actually find the quote where Hashino or any Atlus staff member said something along those lines, I'd love to see it. It's been an urban legend of sorts for quite awhile among Persona fans. But I've never actually seen it attributed anywhere.

RUMORS BECAME REALITY

That's be really awesome if it was. Would love to see other SMT spinoffs make it onto consoles as well.
Me too, it's been too long since we've had proper console experience for SMT. If Dragon Quest XI is Console-Bound then I don't see why Devilizer can't either.

PK Gaming

Do you have sources or links to back that up, because everyone says that but no one has provided evidence to back it up that it's true. If not, it's just a rumor.

It's just a quirk in the Japanese gaming industry. There's this unwritten rule where writers (and voice acting directors) are reluctant to let others touch their characters and vice versa. I don't think I've ever seen Hashino explicitly say that he doesn't want to use the P1/P2 characters because Tadashi left, but that's probably the case.

It's a matter of respect, basically.

Levito

Banned
Me too, it's been too long since we've had proper console experience for SMT. If Dragon Quest XI is Console-Bound then I don't see why Devilizer can't either.

Wonder if P5 will be the start of a new content resource pool that future Megaten games pull from. Like how past Megaten games have shared assets from each other for years now.

Squire

Banned
Wonder if P5 will be the start of a new content resource pool that future Megaten games pull from. Like how past Megaten games have shared assets from each other for years now.

I think that's a given. Asset creation is probably one of the reasons it's taking so long.

FluxWaveZ

That and probably the creation of their in-house engine. That's a big deal, if it wasn't some small adaptation of a pre-existing engine. It's something they won't just be using as a one-off for Persona 5, and since it's already built for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, it will probably streamline the development process for future console titles of theirs.

Squire

Banned
That and probably the creation of their in-house engine. That's a big deal, if it wasn't some small adaptation of a pre-existing engine. It's something they won't just be using as a one-off for Persona 5, and since it's already built for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, it will probably streamline the development process for future console titles of theirs.

For sure.

One thing I'm looking forward to is how the Personae (returning old ones and new ones) will look in glorious HD.

Looking forward to seeing Jack Frost on the PS4 :p

I'm sure it all looks very nice. Catherine looked nice.

Top Bottom