• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Sophia

Yea P1 and 2 has so many physical and elemental types but they hardly matter at all in those games, its so weird, you don't ever have to really pay attention to what element or physical type you are using.

Ehh. I dunno about that. Using the right skill type in P1 and P2 still has it's advantage. The helldog that makes up the second boss battle in Eternal Punishment is a heck of a lot easier if you exploit it's weakness of water, for example.

The whole system sure did have a lot of early game wackiness that comes from the PS1 era MegaTen games however.

^I would say P2EP is the only one where it really matters out of the original Persona trilogy

Haha. That's why they took them out, for sure.

Truth be told, I would like Aquadyne (water) and Magnadyne (Earth) to come back, and physical should go to back to at least 2 phys types (melee and ranged)

That would be the best for me, dunno if others agree.

kewlmyc

Because you don't just add options to add them or because it's an RPG and they're nice to have. There needs to be some sort of reasoning and the game needs to be properly balanced for it. Like what Sophia is talking about.

But from what I'm understanding, you're treating it as if the series hasn't had 3 physical options before and having 3 physicals would ruin the balance. P3 had 3 options and was balanced.

Adding options for no reason is bad, sure. But removing them when it was already balanced isn't good either, which P4 did when they removed 3 physical. Maybe it was because they would have to make sure that there were enough of each type of weapons the P4 party (P4 would only have one pierce character which you would get last).

Squire

Banned
I can't speak to EP, but Levito has been saying the same thing about IS specifically, as he plays the game with Rasen, which is what made me laugh. Lots of options that are easily ignored.

Truth be told, I would like Aquadyne (water) and Magnadyne (Earth) to come back, and physical should go to back to at least 2 phys types (melee and ranged)

That would be the best for me, dunno if others agree.

If they can balance the game properly and justify their return mechanically I'm all for it!

Sophia

Heh, exploiting the weaknesses in Persona 1 is pretty useful, even if you can totally ignore it for parts of the game. It's especially useful for power leveling a specific party member or a specific Persona.

But from what I'm understanding, you're treating it as if the series hasn't had 3 physical options before and having 3 physicals would ruin the balance. P3 had 3 options and was balanced.

Adding options for no reason is bad, sure. But removing them when it was already balanced isn't good either, which P4 did when they removed 3 physical. Maybe it was because they would have to make sure that there were enough of each type of weapons the P4 party (P4 would only have one pierce character which you would get last).

The reason why it was specifically bad for Persona 4 was because their merging of all the physical skills created an insane amount of redundancy, with no attempt to clarify which skills are better in the tooltips. There are five skills that all say "Deals light Physical damage to one foe.", four that say "Deals medium Physical damage to one foe.", three that say "Deals heavy Physical damage to one foe.", and three that say "Deals severe Physical damage to one foe."

AND THEY ARE ALL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF DAMAGE, CRITICAL RATE, AND ACCURACY. ;_;

This is to say nothing of the multi target skills and skills with unique conditionals or attributes. It's a mess. It's the total opposite of Persona 1's system but with almost the same problem.

I can't speak to EP, but Levito has been saying the same thing about IS specifically, as he plays the game with Rasen, which is what made me laugh. Lots of options that are easily ignored.

If they can balance the game properly and justify their return mechanically I'm all for it!

yea we don't need something like Zan (This is used in the rest of the megaten series outside of Persona instead of Garu, it is Force type, Garu took its spot as one of the 4 main elements in P1) or Frei (Nuclear type) and we don't need the likes of Whip Type or HAVOK TYPE (wtf even is havok phys damage) returning

All of this talk about battle mechanics has me thinking, what status ailments do you think will return or be dropped in P5?

Personally, the classics like Poison, Silence, Confusion/Charm, Rage and Fear will make a comeback, but what about things like Enervation, Exhaustion, Freeze and Shock?

Also what about some of the ones from other Megaten franchises such as Petrification, Paralysis, Curse, Blind and Sleep.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Nachos

I am squeeing with joy at the prospect of leveling up 16+ characters in Persona Q, and that's not sarcasm. >_>;
At least it's not fully like Etrian, where you can max out a character and then reset them back to level 30, all for +10 to all stats and 10 bonus points for the skill tree.

P3 Had 10 including Fuuka (when I was saying 9 I was including the support role).

Also, magic infused physical attacks would be kinda fun.

Etrian Odyssey's been doing that since forever, and that's going to carry over into PQ. Guys like Junpei and Kanji don't even naturally learn magic at all – they learn physical attacks with dual physical and elemental properties.

Weaknesses are generally pointless in Persona 1 since weapon damage is almost uniformly crap compared to magic and most magic is uniformly crap compared to the Megido spell series, which, despite not being Almighty-based, still has a higher damage ratings than other spell classes (ie, a basic Megido's base damage is on par with most -dyne spells). Literally the only spell with a higher damage rating than Megidolaon is Hieroglyphein, and you normally wouldn't notice that because it has its own unique element that bosses take double damage from while normal enemies resist.

Despite all guns having their own unique damage type you're never going to run into an enemy that's going to like, reflect shotguns but be weak to hand guns (although you might find enemies that take normal damage from shotguns but be weak to hand guns).

(There are absolutely Too Many Elements in P1 but it's foolish to compare that to P3/P4/PQ where there are extra gameplay systems involved with hitting weaknesses)

Tiu Neo

9 would be a LOT. Unless lots of party members is the hook of the game as with Suikoden or something, I don't think the lineup should breach more than two full rotations, which would be 8 characters in Personas case.

I would love a Suikoden Persona. But nowdays I would be happy even with a Suikoden Pachinko 2, so...

For me, a cast of 6-7 is perfect. 9 would be ok, but I would probably not use everyone. More than that, only if they let you use bigger parties on the battle.

I think it'll be nice if P5 has some substantial side quests. Not collect X shadow tails, but like actual side dungeons to explore and treasure that's worth finding and maybe actual bosses that have like, something that resembles a story instead of just standing there waiting for you to fight them.

wmlk

I don't think we'll see Persona 5 in TGS. I think P4D is something that needs more promotion than Persona 5, especially if it's still coming out this year.
I just don't see them showing both.

Squire

Banned
I don't think we'll see Persona 5 in TGS. I think P4D is something that needs more promotion than Persona 5, especially if it's still coming out this year.
I just don't see them showing both.

Which is why they included a P4D trailer in the Vita segment of Sony's' presser instead of a P5 trailer during the PS4 segment.

kewlmyc

Which is why they included a P4D trailer in the Vita segment of Sony's' presser instead of a P5 trailer during the PS4 segment.

Oh you and your snark.

We'll get more P5 hopefully, but hopefully we something P4DAN during the hour long stage show. I mean, it's a rhythm game, I don't know why they've been so under wraps about it.

I too have trouble believing that Atlus will show off their upcoming, highly anticipated flagship title at the most important Japanese game show of the year, especially when they have an hour long presentation. Hosted by Atlus's Persona spokespeople.

Marche90

I too have trouble believing that Atlus will show off their upcoming, highly anticipated flagship title at the most important Japanese game show of the year, especially when they have an hour long presentation. Hosted by Atlus's Persona spokespeople.

They will show a mobile game, obviously :(

Obviously joking

I have to assume there is more than just EO or P4D there if it's an hour long. At most I'm thinking that they just have another animated trailer for P5 and not much else, but well see.

For those who won't be able to watch the ATLUS TGS 2014 stage show: I will be recording it. I have NicoNico Premium - so it'll be easy for me to record it.

Neat Persona Messenger Bags I found, would love to have one of these
persona-4-the-animation-messenger-bag-teddy-kuma-2602-p.jpg

l_p0019596348.jpg

GN81054lg.jpg

persona-4-the-animation-messenger-bag-yu-narukami-2603-p.jpg

persona-4-five-group-messenger-bag-3.gif

As I understand it, Okada spearheaded Nocturne and then Hashino did Maniax. So I'm very confident Hashino can do wonderful dungeon design if the game calls for it. I guess that's just not the direction he felt was best for Persona, and it's not too bad a call.

Given the pining for "VN segments only" that I keep hearing in general P4 recap/P5 speculation topics here and elsewhere, I wouldn't doubt that could have happened.

Those people are dead wrong of course, and only Labyrinth of Amala-level brutal dungeons will suffice.

Mwahahahaha

FluxWaveZ

I had thought about this when I saw it a few years ago, but this Tokyo Mono Hara Shi game Atlus developed seems a lot like Persona, with it being a visual novel + dungeon crawler that mixes school exploration, building bonds with other characters and a kind of "investigation team" fighting against demons. Just thought of it again when I came upon the trailer.

I had thought about this when I saw it a few years ago, but this Tokyo Mono Hara Shi game Atlus developed seems a lot like Persona, with it being a visual novel + dungeon crawler that mixes school exploration, building bonds with other characters and a kind of "investigation team" fighting against demons. Just thought of it again when I came upon the trailer.

You can totally tell that Kitajoh worked in that game because the music in that trailer sounds like something I've heard before...

Those are neat, but couldn't they pick a better image for the first one? It looks...average.
I'm not a fan of the anime art in the first place though.

I dunno, the first one is the only one that looks like it was designed as Persona merchandise, the rest look like they just slapped P4 stickers on bags that had lying around and called it a day.

Yeah, this series is really similar to how Persona has turned out, but at the same time it's sort of like... closer to Shin Megami Tensei, in a way? Like there tends to be a stronger focus on Actual Japanese Places And Religious History than you see in Persona.

The first game in the series, Tokyo Majin Gakuen, got an anime in 2007 and a lot of people who watched it were like "this is what I expected from a Persona anime" (bearing in mind the only Persona anime at the time was -trinity soul-), so.

Edit: Holy cow, the latest game in the series is actually coming out in the US as Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

So far there's only a Persona Music Box concert thing announced for October. It only features Shihoko, Yumi, Lotus Juice and DJ Waka without any of the Atlus band members.

There's also a performance by S, Y and LJ next year at a con in Arizona sometime next year.

There's only Persona Music Box this year.

I saw the Arizona thing on this topic, but I didn't know about the Persona Music Box. Right when I'm close to Japan they don't have a Music Live, I am sad D: I have classes and work so I don't know if I'll be able to go to the Music Box, unfortunately. Thanks for telling me though!

Bag man aside I was liking the look of the cast, till I saw cat ears ;_;

tumblr_nbxonlGpOx1t46pjso1_500.png

Just bought a PSN card for P4AU DLC from Nippon-Yasan. It isn't working. I feel like I was scammed, even though I've purchased from this site before...

That's unfortunate, the site is pretty trustworthy. Have you contacted them about it?

I think it'll be nice if P5 has some substantial side quests. Not collect X shadow tails, but like actual side dungeons to explore and treasure that's worth finding and maybe actual bosses that have like, something that resembles a story instead of just standing there waiting for you to fight them.
I've wanted this.

Even something like being asked to check something out at night by someone who's too scared to do it themself and said thing turning out to be a boss.

I was going to say, I swear that game is coming over next year, and yes, as it was it was said it is the latest one in the series. Gameplay looks intriguing, artwork looks great. I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Top Bottom