• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Just had a random thought this morning. The setting for the P5 animated trailer was very similar to Shibuya, right? Well, one of the points of interest just outside Shibuya station is the statue of Hachiko, the famous dog who is pretty obviously the inspiration for Koromaru's back story. I doubt that's going to mean anything in the final game, but it could also be a chance for a reference to Persona 3, just like P3 has references to P1/P2 in it's "Who's Who" segments.

Wonder if P5 will be the start of a new content resource pool that future Megaten games pull from. Like how past Megaten games have shared assets from each other for years now.
Would make sense, reusing assets seems to be the norm for Japanese publishers, just look at Monster Hunter!

Squire

Banned
Just had a random thought this morning. The setting for the P5 animated trailer was very similar to Shibuya, right? Well, one of the points of interest just outside Shibuya station is the statue of Hachiko, the famous dog who is pretty obviously the inspiration for Koromaru's back story. I doubt that's going to mean anything in the final game, but it could also be a chance for a reference to Persona 3, just like P3 has references to P1/P2 in it's "Who's Who" segments.

Ah, I know that name. A female character is called that in an anime I saw recently.

Would make sense, reusing assets seems to be the norm for Japanese publishers, just look at Monster Hunter!

Asset/code reuse is a thing in the industry across the board with some studios being better at hiding it than others. Has nothing to do with Japan, specifically.

Sophia

Worth pointing out that the name of the spoilered character is mentioned at the tail end of all the character trailers, it seems. They made the last 4-5 seconds link to the other trailers.

FluxWaveZ

Ha, the mood conveyed by that story trailer sure is something. Then again, it's similar to the dire tone of some of the other P4AU story PVs.

wmlk

I don't think that Persona 6 is the supposed 2017 project.

I just feel like every developer has a harder time releasing games as the technology becomes more capable. I haven't seen any example to suggest otherwise.

Also, the time gap between Persona 3 and Persona 4 was just above 2 years. I'm guessing 3 or 4 years for the next entry, so maybe 2018 or 2019 makes sense...

Maybe Persona 5 being officially pushed back to 2015 means that the 2017 project also got pushed back. If that's the case, then maybe Persona 6 really is scheduled to come out at 2018 or something.

EDIT: I just hope Atlus never balloons up the Persona series' graphical fidelity to a point where they can't even release the games on time anymore. See that too often.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe Persona 5 being officially pushed back to 2015 means that the 2017 project also got pushed back. If that's the case, then maybe Persona 6 really is scheduled to come out at 2018 or something.

They talked about the project in July. It's not like P5's situation was unknown to them at the time of the interview.

wmlk

They talked about the project in July. It's not like P5's situation was unknown to them at the time of the interview.

July? Then I don't think it's P6 at all. And I don't think he'd be referring to something as 'that title' when Persona 5 was still a figment of imagination until two weeks ago.

PK Gaming

0tB2It5.png

Someone needs to make a Persona Q variant of this comic

Nachos

Someone needs to make a Persona Q variant of this comic

I'm working on something Etrian/Q-related right now to learn the path tool in GIMP, but that was actually next on my list. Already got a bunch of the most-used typefaces for manga translations on my computer.

wmlk

Your point about increasing turnaround time and graphical fidelity is a bit weird considering the gap from P2:EP to P3, and then the subsequent gap from P3 to P4.

There's no reason to believe that Persona 5 to Persona 6 won't be a transition like Persona 3 to Persona 4.

I'm working on something Etrian/Q-related right now to learn the path tool in GIMP, but that was actually next on my list. Already got a bunch of the most-used typefaces for manga translations on my computer.

Sweet! I keep forgetting to post that original there in PQ threads were people are getting cranky about EO mechanics.

QuadOpto

Don't know if anyone else has seen this, or if it can be judged as a credible source, but in any case it might be the answer some people are looking for in regards to TGS!

TGS Lineup

Again, not a 100% sure it's credible or not, got the link off of GameFAQS.

FluxWaveZ

I mean that development for AAA games are longer for each subsequent generation for almost all developers.

Sure... but I mean that doesn't necessarily impact launch dates, when it could just impact development cycles in Atlus' case. No one's saying that game is definitely Persona 6, but what I'm saying is that a 3 year dev. cycle for that game would be what I would expect.

Don't know if anyone else has seen this, or if it can be judged as a credible source, but in any case it might be the answer some people are looking for in regards to TGS!

TGS Lineup

Seems legit, from more official sources like Gematsu. This likely means P5 won't be playable (which was probably to be expected) and there's no reference to P4D, but this is also just Sony's lineup and not Sega's, who could have other things planned. I feel like we'd already know if P4D was to be playable there, though, and it's hidden in the shadows everywhere, for some reason.

TGS Lineup

Its legit Its on their official website. Doesn't indicate if we will get to see more of P5 though.

Tamanon

Banned
Honestly, I don't remember there ever being a playable demo of a Persona RPG. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Perhaps it's referring to the arcade version since it's a whole new mode, though that'd be very weird, especially since the Japanese website doesn't seem to have such a disclaimer.

Probably just means 360 version won't have it. Might be because of the different netcode for PS3 vs 360.

Sophia

Perhaps it's referring to the arcade version since it's a whole new mode, though that'd be very weird, especially since the Japanese website doesn't seem to have such a disclaimer.

Potential incoming Vita version with no lobby system because Arcys says screw you? >_>;

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, I don't remember there ever being a playable demo of a Persona game. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Persona 4 Arena was playable at TGS 2011.

Probably just means 360 version won't have it. Might be because of the different netcode for PS3 vs 360.

Or its referring to the XB360 version.

Oh yeah, the 360 version... That sounds way more likely, though that's pretty weird, too.

Soriku

Ah, that's what you mean. So on July 29, Atlus talked about three titles they have in development: "that title" (aka EOUII), a game they started development on to be released in three years and a brand new IP (potentially Asraga Adventure Chronicle).

That title planned for release in 2017 is presumably not a new IP, since it probably would have been described as such given the other new IP they discussed. A title with a 3 year dev. cycle is likely relatively large, and it also sounds like how they were describing Persona 5 before it was officially announced. If we consider how P3 and P4 were likely partially developed simultaneously, how the two games released exactly two years apart from each other and how they would be using the engine they created specifically for P5 for future titles as well (an engine that is now adapted to the PS4), Persona 6 is a possibility.

I took it to mean something non-Persona...maybe SMT. The SMT team did say that we wouldn't hear about them for a while.

FluxWaveZ

I took it to mean something non-Persona...maybe SMT. The SMT team did say that we wouldn't hear about them for a while.

I'm not sure if it's the implication of the Famitsu article, or Siliconera taking editorial liberties, but what they're talking about could very well be non-Persona related, like Deviliser or whatever else. To have it planned so specifically, I would think it would either pertain to SMT or Persona for a pre-existing IP, since I believe those are the two largest for Atlus.

QuadOpto

Considering there's only two trailers for P5 so far and the second one was shown at the Pre-TGS Conference, I'd think that they'd hopefully have something a little bit different for the main event. Worst case scenario being another animated-only trailer(Not that that's actually terrible in any way whatsoever in my opinion:p) Best-case scenario we get something like this or this. Hopefully not as spoiler-y though.

...Actually, does anyone know if those were actual trailers shown somewhere before P3FES and P4 came out? In Japan, I mean. I always wondered, since they were kinda overly spoiler-ish for something shown pre-release, though I guess even the P4 one didn't really give everything away

FluxWaveZ

If they actually gave something like that out for Persona 5 I don't think anyone would complain anywhere.

I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't be happy, and I know I'm not alone in that regard. I don't need to see a ton of media for P5 before I get to play it. I know I'll love that game; I don't need some of it ruined for me from a deluge of information.

Top Bottom