• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Wow I just tried to watch P4GA episode 10 despite everyone's warning of how bad it was.

And it was so... BORING, I couldn't stand it. Who on earth cares?? This episode just made me want that Marie never existed, and I don't even dislike her that much on the game.
I just... Needed to vent somewhere, sorry :p

I'm hoping the next will be half bad and half tolerable, and still https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...on-blu-ray-disc-ranking-september-8-14/.78822

Dantis

So I was looking at Ultimax's sales next to Arena's, and it looks like Arena sold 165k after its third week, whilst Ultimax has sold 106k after its third week.

It's about in line with what I expected, and I think that the lower sales are probably in part because of it being (mostly) a re-release, and in part because of disappointment in the original game's story mode (which is why I think a lot of Persona fans bought the first game). It's unfortunate though, because I do think that Ultimax is a much, much better game.

FluxWaveZ

Someone said they were going to be streaming this since Niconico has a tendency to kick out people who aren't premium?

That was MysticDistance.

About this, the Persona PR account tweeted about the stage show. Combined with it being first announced during PSC, it's practically confirmed that there will be Persona information during the stage show.

In terms of gameplay, a lot of people are very turned off by P4U2 due to the damage being really, really high.

From what I've seen, those people are the ones who haven't played it and judge the game through a few videos they've seen of it. Most people who've played it seem to prefer this game to P4A.

About the sales, I would have thought this game would do better than P4A due to all of the improvements they made (combined with the other Persona products lending to the hype) but, in the end, it's still a sequel that came out two years after its predecessor. It's nice to see it still did fantastic, especially when one compares it to the performance of other fighting games.

PK Gaming

In terms of gameplay, a lot of people are very turned off by P4U2 due to the damage being really, really high.

"A lot" is kind of an overstatement. The only people who care about damage are hardcore competitive players, and they definitely don't make up the majority of P4AU buyers.

So I was looking at Ultimax's sales next to Arena's, and it looks like Arena sold 165k after its third week, whilst Ultimax has sold 106k after its third week.

It's about in line with what I expected, and I think that the lower sales are probably in part because of it being (mostly) a re-release, and in part because of disappointment in the original game's story mode (which is why I think a lot of Persona fans bought the first game). It's unfortunate though, because I do think that Ultimax is a much, much better game.

Maybe that's because PS3 is declining.. a lot of people aren't looking for PS3 games anymore or are selling it to get the PS4.

PK Gaming

I think the comparatively lower sales can be explained by the fact that a Persona fighting game isn't a novel concept anymore. With P4A, you had people who weren't even fighting fans buying it, but I could see some of those players opting out of P4AU if they weren't satisfied with P4A.

FluxWaveZ

I can't believe that Destiny actually managed to sell some PS4s over there.

It's interesting. I think Persona 5 is likely to outperform it, so I wonder if it could have a similar hardware selling effect.

I think the comparatively lower sales can be explained by the fact that a Persona fighting game isn't a novel concept anymore. With P4A, you had people who weren't even fighting fans buying it, but I could see some of those players opting out of P4AU if they weren't satisfied with P4A.

Yeah, that's a factor, too. I'm thinking that ~80k-85k would be where the initial sales would stabilize for any regular sequel format. Puts it a bit above BBCP's 72k and far above UNIEL's 10k for initial sales.

All we need is P4D to sell well and all of the Persona spin-offs this year will have done remarkably.

Meia

I will buy a PS4 for this game.

I mean, I was always going to anyway, but that will be the game to make sure I actually have it in my house. :p

The idea of remote play is really too delicious to pass up with this.

So what platform is everyone here getting Persona 5 on anyway?

PS4 for me of course.

Ideally I'd like to get it for PS4, but I don't have one yet. I'm getting it day 1 no matter what though (and god knows what kind of budgetary issues I might run into), so I may end up having to go with the PS3 version.

FluxWaveZ

I have a PS4, so... yeah. Looking forward to taking lots of system level screenshots.

Haven't looked into the remote play business, but if it means I could play Persona 5 at school with my Vita during breaks, I'd have to try it out.

PK Gaming

Persona 5 images from this week's Famitsu. Looks good, definitely gonna play it.

BxtRNurCAAAN8mB.png:large

Weiss

Banned
I bought a PS3 when Persona 5 was announced. It's years too early for a PS4, not with my budget.

Gonna double dip if I ever get one, though.

While I get your point, I don't see the benefits of a (presumably) turn based RPG running at 60 fps.

It's mainly for the animations, 30fps looks fine, dont get me wrong. But having it run at 60 will just make everything look a lot smoother and more natural.

Its an aesthetics thing rather than a gameplay thing for me.

FluxWaveZ

I'd want whatever looks better. I don't know if I'm convinced that 60 FPS would necessarily look better than 30 FPS in-game cutscenes, looking at Catherine. I'd like to reiterate just how beautiful that game is. Man, look at any of the in-game cutscenes and pay attention to the facial expressions. Look at the subtlety in Johnny's expression and movement in this single moment (Catherine spoilers). It might not be possible, but I really hope a lot of Persona 5's scenes are directed like most of Catherine's.

Atlus killed off Lise Kujikawa on the P4AU character page once again, but curiously enough they still haven't removed the "Coming Soon" slot on the page.

Levito

Banned
I'd imagine the only real difference you'd see between the two versions of the game would be the PS4 would have better AA, a 1080p resolution, and have much faster load times.

60FPS really isn't important in a turn based RPG in my opinion. If it's there, cool! If not, doesn't bother me.

Reanimatoin said:
PS4 for sure, Just got to hope that Atlus are technically competent enough to get it running at 1080/60. Anything less would be a waste of the hardware.

I don't mean to call you out or say you're wrong or anything, because you make a perfectly valid point later about animations and such, but this kinda encapsulates a concern I have about the PS4 port. Since it's on PS4, I'm worried that a lot of fans are going to be more interested in technical numbers, rather than just appreciating if the game looks good or not. I would not be surprised if there are a ton of threads across the internet complaining that P5 wastes the PS4's power because it doesn't reach some arbitrary technical threshold that they expect every new game to have. If P5 is anything like some of the other Persona titles, I think art direction will be more important than raw technical performance, and that might get lost just because it's a PS4 game.

I'd want whatever looks better. I don't know if I'm convinced that 60 FPS would necessarily look better than 30 FPS in-game cutscenes, looking at Catherine. I'd like to reiterate just how beautiful that game is. Man, look at any of the in-game cutscenes and pay attention to the facial expressions...It might not be possible, but I really hope a lot of Persona 5's scenes are directed like most of Catherine's.

Man, Catherine is just so impressive visually. Every time I see any videos of it I just want to start it up again, haha.

I'd want whatever looks better. I don't know if I'm convinced that 60 FPS would necessarily look better than 30 FPS in-game cutscenes, looking at Catherine. I'd like to reiterate just how beautiful that game is. Man, look at any of the in-game cutscenes and pay attention to the facial expressions. Look at the subtlety in Johnny's expression and movement in this single moment (Catherine spoilers). It might not be possible, but I really hope a lot of Persona 5's scenes are directed like most of Catherine's.

Thats a good point about in-engine cutscenes, but I was mainly hoping for the 60fps on battle and field animations.

Since it's on PS4, I'm worried that a lot of fans are going to be more interested in technical numbers, rather than just appreciating if the game looks good or not. I would not be surprised if there are a ton of threads across the internet complaining that P5 wastes the PS4's power because it doesn't reach some arbitrary technical threshold that they expect every new game to have.

This isnt a make or break thing for me, so long as it looks pretty and doesnt have my 3 key visual fuckups (Texture pop-in, Screen Tearing, Framerate inconsistancy) then 60 fps would just be a nice bonus. But, if you have the ability, and the hardware lets you, then why not push it as far as it can go?

That being said, I would take a consistant 30fps over inconsistant 60fps any day.

This isnt a make or break thing for me, so long as it looks pretty and doesnt have my 3 key visual fuckups (Texture pop-in, Screen Tearing, Framerate inconsistancy) then 60 fps would just be a nice bonus. But, if you have the ability, and the hardware lets you, then why not push it as far as it can go?

That being said, I would take a consistant 30fps over inconsistant 60fps any day.

Agreed, those kind of things really annoy me. And pushing the console is a good idea, I just hope it's not the be all end all. If the PS4 version "just" has faster load times and higher resolution than the PS3 version, I'll be plenty happy. Again though, this is just my personal preference.

First time through will be ps3, then I'll probably pick up a ps4 next winter when more appealing games are out and pick up another copy of P5 as an excuse to play it again.

The only way to play Persona 5 is gonna be with the 2 most beautiful systems on earth: the PS4 and the Vita. THAT is the only way to play the game. Turn the PS4 on, remote play that baby with your Vita. Kick some shadow ass and social link all the babes on dat OLED.

Marche90

So what platform is everyone here getting Persona 5 on anyway?

PS4 for me of course.

PS3

It's a million years too early for me to consider getting a PS4. Not with my budget!

Exactly this answer :/

Well, more or less. If things get better next year I might be able to afford one before P5 releases over here. A Wii U gets priority, though, and I might buy one of those before the year ends.

Top Bottom