• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Dantis

P S FOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR

Think I'm going to book the week of release off work (or rather, the week following its release). I'm going to be bouncing off the walls with excitement as it gets nearer.

So what platform is everyone here getting Persona 5 on anyway?

PS4 for me of course.

Man, you made me realize that it's almost been three years since I bought my PS3. Time flies.

I'd love to play it on PS4. Like Ron said, the XMB on PS3 is garbage. And you're right, it would be nice to have better AA, 1080p and faster loading times. Also, I love all the stuff that you can do with a PS4 like taking screenshots and streaming whenever you want.

That being said, I still don't have a PS4, so I'll probably play it on PS3. I'm ready to move on, I've already played every PS3 exclusive I wanted (well, except Ultimax and maybe UNIEL), but since I'm saving money so I can go to EVO next year, that's not going to happen. Although, if for some reason I'm not able to go to EVO, that money is definitely going towards a PS4.

I'd want whatever looks better. I don't know if I'm convinced that 60 FPS would necessarily look better than 30 FPS in-game cutscenes, looking at Catherine. I'd like to reiterate just how beautiful that game is. Man, look at any of the in-game cutscenes and pay attention to the facial expressions. Look at the subtlety in Johnny's expression and movement in this single moment (Catherine spoilers). It might not be possible, but I really hope a lot of Persona 5's scenes are directed like most of Catherine's.

I agree, Catherine looks so good. I always loved those facial expressions. I hope we see something like that in P5.

Dantis

I seem to recall Soejima talking about how he worked closely with the 3D graphics guys to make sure they captured his art style correctly. The expressions are largely based on his sketches, so that's probably why they came out so well.

P S FOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR

Think I'm going to book the week of release off work (or rather, the week following its release). I'm going to be bouncing off the walls with excitement as it gets nearer.

OH GOD, you just reminded me that my holiday time should reset before P5 comes out, that plus the fact I can "work" from home is going to be both the best and the worst.

I'll be getting a PS4 in 2016, once there is a price drop and a few more Japanese games come out for it.

However, I will be importing the PS3 version of the game when it comes out next year in Japan.

Levito

Banned
So the PS4 has the large majority it seems, cool beans. Ultimax is probably going to be my last PS3 game ever, or at least last game to be bought new at full price. End of an era, what a damn fine console it was.

Going to bet P5 gets an August release in the west. (based on nothing, just guessing)

atlusprime

Atlus PR
So I know this is the Persona OT, but I just had one mother of all facepalm moments in DR2 and I want to see if I'm making a huge stretch or if it's so goddamn obvious that I am a dunce-face for missing it the first time round.

Is Teruteru a reference to the Tell-tale Heart because he murders Byakuya from beneath the floorboards?

Also, totally getting P5 on the PS4 because it was literally the only reason I was keeping my PS3 around (well, that and the huge ATLUS catalog I need to plow through still).

PK Gaming

So I know this is the Persona OT, but I just had one mother of all facepalm moments in DR2 and I want to see if I'm making a huge stretch or if it's so goddamn obvious that I am a dunce-face for missing it the first time round.

Is Teruteru a reference to the Tell-tale Heart because he murders Byakuya from beneath the floorboards?

Also, totally getting P5 on the PS4 because it was literally the only reason I was keeping my PS3 around (well, that and the huge ATLUS catalog I need to plow through still).

Hmm... that's the first time I've heard of that comparison.

I don't think it was intentional, but i'm not a 100% sure. Neat coincidence nonetheless.

Going to bet P5 gets an August release in the west. (based on nothing, just guessing)

When you say 'west', do you mean North America? Because in my opinion, hell would have to freeze over before Europe ever gets an Atlus game in a timely manner.
;_;

I'll probably get P5 on PS4. I've been planning to buy one soon anyway, so might as well get the 'best' version of the game.

jzbluz

I was tempted by the PS4 version but I'm going with the PS3 version since I just bought a PS3 last month, and I have P5 preorder for $35. I love Persona but I don't really want to pay $70 that it will probably cost, especially since there's most likely going to be an updated version.

Mdesilva

I get why you wanted to ask the Persona Community, but I just thought I'd let you know there's a Danganronpa 2 Spoiler Thread on GAF as well.

It must be mighty cold in hell right now then considering Persona Q comes out the same week as US release.

Huh. Not sure why, but I was convinced PQ was gonna be digital-only in Europe and therefore didn't count it. Guess I got it confused with SMTIV.

This is one thing I'm happy to be wrong about though. Let's just hope Atlus can continue the trend.

I really hope P5 comes out in the summer here

And not any of this P4U2 "summer" bullshit, I mean late May to early August.

This.

Hope it stays away from Bloodborne and exam time.

Summer is perfect for that long jrpg fix and what better jrpg is there than Persona 5. I'll also have so much more time during summer. I mean during term time I rarely play, probably a few hours during the weekend. It would take me nearly a year to finish it.

Setsu00

Dreading the fact that its Wednesday and tmrw there's a new P4GA episode. Whyyyy do I keep on watching it...

For the same reason why a friend of mine insists on watching the Bleach anime: It's so bad, you can't stop once you start because you want to see where this trainwreck leads.

MSMrRound

Dreading the fact that its Wednesday and tmrw there's a new P4GA episode. Whyyyy do I keep on watching it...

At some point they gotta pull out those 3rd tier Personas...

Anyway I'm heavily getting swayed towards getting a PS4 just because of that Sept 1st announcement. Now if only Tales of Zestiria come to the PS4 as well as SEGA decides to go for a Valkyria Chronicles HD Trilogy pack/Valkyria Chronicles 4...then I'll be fully on board.

That prospect of remote play though....

QuadOpto

I'm sticking with PS3 for now. There's really nothing I'd actually want for the PS4 currently and I'm not really in control of my money situation at the moment so whenever I finally am I wouldn't want to make a frivolous purchase for one game I'd want...

Now, if they actually had anything really special to the PS4 version other than technical aspects, I might make some sacrifices depending on what it is, but that really depends on that.

...Otherwise I'd just wait until the inevitable remake with special content comes out in 2-3 years, which'd most likely be PS4 only.:p

For the same reason why a friend of mine insists on watching the Bleach anime: It's so bad, you can't stop once you start because you want to see where this trainwreck leads.

I think that really does explain it. I always watch it first just to get it out of the way. Thursdays have such quality anime, unfortunately P4GA is that show that I just watch just because.

Huh. Not sure why, but I was convinced PQ was gonna be digital-only in Europe and therefore didn't count it. Guess I got it confused with SMTIV.

This is one thing I'm happy to be wrong about though. Let's just hope Atlus can continue the trend.

Yeah SMTIV is a real bummer, hopefully the Ultimax trademarks and the Persona Q release date mean that SMTIV will be the last bump in the road.

Sophia

You guys understand Japanese enough to import a game?

How much Japanese you need to know depends on the game. The basic gameplay of Persona 3/4/Q is pretty easy to grasps with no knowledge of Japanese. However knowing how to read basic kana is a huge help. Especially if you can read hiragana. Obviously you'll miss out on the social links (which requires guessing or a guide) and the story without a deeper understanding. Personally I think having voice acting is a great assist too.

Some games also have a reading aid of sorts called furigana. This allows the writers to clarify what a specific kanji means or what it's use is. You'll sometimes see this for nonstandard characters, or often in games aimed at children. It's a huge help whenever it's available.

Assuming the gameplay of Persona 5 is similar to Persona 3 and Persona 4, I would feel pretty confident importing it myself despite missing a lot of story details.

If Ultimax isn't announced by next Monday, I'll assume it isn't coming any time soon and look into importing the NA version.

Yeah I'm kind of getting worried considering we're real close to the US release and we've heard nothing, I hope that the Europe release isn't super far behind but I think that I'll likely end up just importing a copy. Still even a delay of like a month is an improvement
hopefully everything else is as quick as PQ though

Yeah I'm kind of getting worried considering we're real close to the US release and we've heard nothing, I hope that the Europe release isn't super far behind but I think that I'll likely end up just importing a copy. Still even a delay of like a month is an improvement

I've had my import on "order now, pay on release" status for months now hoping that if an EU date is announced that I can just grab that.

Alas, the EU has had complete radio silence regarding P4U2 since its announcement.

Means I'm going to need help getting the DLC since I'm a dummy and have no clue what I'm doing, but luckily the IRC folk are kind and will help me out,
please?

Setsu00

John said that there would be news for Europe soon, didn't he? I hope it's not a delay for PQ.

John said that there would be news for Europe soon, didn't he? I hope it's not a delay for PQ.

I think that was regarding Ultimax info, I'd be shocked if PQ was delayed considering an actual release date was locked in pretty quickly whereas I don't think we've heard anything official regarding Ultimax for Europe.

Some games also have a reading aid of sorts called furigana. This allows the writers to clarify what a specific kanji means or what it's use is. You'll sometimes see this for nonstandard characters, or often in games aimed at children. It's a huge help whenever it's available.

Oh, I've been wondering what that was for awhile now.

Always bugged me to see Japanese SMT4 screenshots with random text lying outside the normal dialogue text margins.

This week, I'm told! Not a PQ delay (that I'm aware of)

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Just Kidding :p

FluxWaveZ

So we're all expecting P4D gameplay, a new Persona 5 trailer, Devil Survivor 2: Break Record re-unveil and Catherine 2 from the TGS stage show, right? Right.

I imported Catherine at launch. You don't have to, but it helps.

It really depends on the game honestly.

I see. I can imagine myself importing sports game, racing games and non-story driven titles.

How much Japanese you need to know depends on the game. The basic gameplay of Persona 3/4/Q is pretty easy to grasps with no knowledge of Japanese. However knowing how to read basic kana is a huge help. Especially if you can read hiragana. Obviously you'll miss out on the social links (which requires guessing or a guide) and the story without a deeper understanding. Personally I think having voice acting is a great assist too.

Assuming the gameplay of Persona 5 is similar to Persona 3 and Persona 4, I would feel pretty confident importing it myself despite missing a lot of story details.

Wow... that would be painful for me because I'm too lazy.. lol And finishing the game without really knowing the story details would kinda spoil the game myself a little when I start the game in English. xD

The only reason I'll be importing it is for the CE Japan will get.

I can imagine myself doing that. lol

arue

I'm hoping for a new trailer for P5 and P4D, but I still don't expect P4D to be there at all.

Anything beyond that would blow my mind, especially DeSu2: BR.

kewlmyc

SMT x FE still most likely exists, they just shouldn't have announced it when they did, which was probably right when development for it started.

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is pretty much dead I think. You don't take a nearly completed game and just not release it for two years. Something weird is up with it definately.

Top Bottom