• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Thank you, guys! Heh, it's funny they use that special episode to convey the least Marie portion of the game. It's like the devs actually know we hate her.

kewlmyc

Thank you, guys! Heh, it's funny they use that special episode to convey the least Marie portion of the game. It's like the devs actually know we hate her.

Apparently the staff was surprised that the culprit episodes were so well received by everyone compared to the rest of the show. Someone on another site said the P4AG twitter stated this.

Caladrius

Apparently the staff was surprised that the culprit episodes were so well received by everyone compared to the rest of the show. Someone on another site said the P4AG twitter stated this.

It sounds like they tried too hard to more heavily incorporate Marie and adapt the golden scenes to the point that they forgot that they had to tell a story to invest people in any of it.

1) I read this in Fuyuhiko's voice
2) Your avatar is straight up amazing

Thank you.

I think my avatars wear off on me in a weird way.

I stole claimed BGBW's title in an avatar bet. (I'll relinquish it once his sentence is over.)

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I know we're pretty overdue on this, but hopefully the unboxing for all the P4AU pre-order stuff will be hitting a YouTube near you tomorrow. Monday at the latest. :D

Squire

Banned
I don't draw (that's for people with talent, like you folks).

Margaret sounds fabulous (like the goddess she is).

I came to ask if I should play Resonance of Fate? It was made by Tri-Ace and published by the overlords of Atlus. I hate Star Ocean with a passion as hot as Agidyne, but I always thought RF looked interesting.

I came to ask if I should play Resonance of Fate? It was made by Tri-Ace and published by the overlords of Atlus. I hate Star Ocean with a passion as hot as Agidyne, but I always thought RF looked interesting.

Never played it but the main consensus seems to be that the gameplay is very unique and hard to grasp. That turned me away from buying it a ton of times, and it actually looks pretty cool. Don't have much time to play JRPGs at this moment, or else I'd probably bite and buy it on PSN since it's cheap.

Xenoflare

I tried REALLY hard to like that game, but to no avail, it's unique sure, but it's also extremely frustrating.

arue

I'd say give it a try.

The game's battle system is super flashy and I love it. It's more like a hit-and-miss to some people though. Some players like me can play for hours without getting bored of the battle, but others find it a chore due to the random encounters. The battle system may be hard to grasp at first because they just throw everything about the battle in the first hour of the game, but once you master the battle system, you could win battles easily.

I am currently halfway through the game and the story is very lackluster. They give you small bits of plot cutscenes every chapter, but they are not enough to make a story out of them.

The three main characters in the game also have great interactions. I felt like I'm playing a game about their daily adventures more than a game with a central plot.

TLDR;
Pros: Flashy and complicated battle system. Great character interactions.
Cons: Story is almost non-existent.

I haven't beat the game yet, so I might change my opinion a bit after I beat it.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment help!

Due to a series of really awful life events, I had to halt my play through of P2:EP back in April. I'm about ready to pick it up again, but I've forgotten a lot of the story beats. I've played P2:IS, and I made it halfway through, I think, of EP (I'm just about finished with the museum where you rescue the kids).

Is this basically the plot so far in the game?

The events of IS are happening again, and the main character is involved, but doesn't want any of the previous characters to help, and it hasn't been explained why that is yet.

cj_iwakura

DDS(QDS) book 2 is being localized.

tumblr_ncgv18AH8L1thu8mso1_500.jpg

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment help!

Due to a series of really awful life events, I had to halt my play through of P2:EP back in April. I'm about ready to pick it up again, but I've forgotten a lot of the story beats. I've played P2:IS, and I made it halfway through, I think, of EP (I'm just about finished with the museum where you rescue the kids).

Is this basically the plot so far in the game?

The events of IS are happening again, and the main character is involved, but doesn't want any of the previous characters to help, and it hasn't been explained why that is yet.

Not quite... but you're warm. Things aren't exactly the same as they were on the 'Other Side'.

Squire

Banned
I'd say give it a try.

The game's battle system is super flashy and I love it. It's more like a hit-and-miss to some people though. Some players like me can play for hours without getting bored of the battle, but others find it a chore due to the random encounters. The battle system may be hard to grasp at first because they just throw everything about the battle in the first hour of the game, but once you master the battle system, you could win battles easily.

I am currently halfway through the game and the story is very lackluster. They give you small bits of plot cutscenes every chapter, but they are not enough to make a story out of them.

The three main characters in the game also have great interactions. I felt like I'm playing a game about their daily adventures more than a game with a central plot.

TLDR;
Pros: Flashy and complicated battle system. Great character interactions.
Cons: Story is almost non-existent.

I haven't beat the game yet, so I might change my opinion a bit after I beat it.

I wish more games had/did that, honestly. Everything is so grand, typically. It's refreshing when something adopts more of a low-stakes, slice of life feel.

Thanks for your post!

FluxWaveZ

The official P4AU website's been updated with the "Guide" and "DLC" tabs. Includes the prices for the stuff that are listed, but there are a few things that aren't there yet like the Lobby avatar pack that includes Makoto or the Persona 4 anime and P3M background music.

Still missed removing that "Coming Soon" on the character page.

Not quite... but you're warm. Things aren't exactly the same as they were on the 'Other Side'.

You're right. I recall some stuff being different and not quite the same as the previous game and people commenting on it. (which makes me glad I slogged through IS early this year).

And, I just looked at a FAQ briefly to see if I was indeed halfway through, and I guess I'm not! I totally thought I was further along in it, but I'm barely a third into the game. When I boot it up tonight it'll be interesting to see just exactly where I stopped.

Mdesilva

How come it says having bought DLC colors in the first game gets them for free here? The DLC colors are different this time, maybe Atlus is just being generous?

Kinsei

Banned
Oh man the trip to [P4G:]
Gekkoukan was awesome. It would have been cooler if Chhiro wasn't the one to welcome you though. She's one of the two social links I didn't complete in P3.

cj_iwakura

You're right. I recall some stuff being different and not quite the same as the previous game and people commenting on it. (which makes me glad I slogged through IS early this year).

And, I just looked at a FAQ briefly to see if I was indeed halfway through, and I guess I'm not! I totally thought I was further along in it, but I'm barely a third into the game. When I boot it up tonight it'll be interesting to see just exactly where I stopped.

There's lots of little things, one of the biggest being the change to Yuriko and Anna.

The official P4AU website's been updated with the "Guide" and "DLC" tabs. Includes the prices for the stuff that are listed, but there are a few things that aren't there yet like the Lobby avatar pack that includes Makoto or the Persona 4 anime and P3M background music.

Still missed removing that "Coming Soon" on the character page.

It's nice to see that the P4A Episode will cost $10. The BGMs costs pretty much what I expected. Also, I thought you could unlock Redacted as your navi by playing the game, but apparently it's only available as DLC :/ Also, there's no price for Margaret, but I assume she'll cost $8, like the BBCP characters.

I want everything. My wallet is crying.

There's lots of little things, one of the biggest being the change to Yuriko and Anna.

Right.

Ok, so I loaded up my save, and apparently I saved right outside of Aoba Park. I have no idea what I have done or where I need to go. I went to Kuzunaba and Ulala tells me that Baofu was scary at Zodiac (I remember this so that's not an issue), but I dug up a FAQ to see what was before Aoba park, and there's 2 Aoba's listed, so I don't know if I went there the first time or if this is supposed to be my "second visit". I kind of don't want to read the FAQ and spoil things, but is there anyone I can talk to in game to tell me where I should probably be going to find out where I left off?

And, I know someone might ask "well, do you remember Aoba park?" YES! But, like I said, a lot of really crappy real life happened since April, and prior to those bad things, I had played through IS and immediately started up EP, so I remember the park, I just don't remember if that's from IS or EP.

Going back to RPGs after months away and with lots happening in your life is hard.

Also, Katsuya and Baofu aren't completely at odds anymore, and I know about the "corruption" at the police, and so does Katsuya. In fact, looking at this FAQ's table of contents, it mentions a laboratory, and I certainly remember a scene with a bunch of dead people in it... was that at the lab? If that's the case, then this is my "second visit" to Aoba Park, and that probably means I've forgotten even more that I thought about the story.

Sigh. I put a lot of time into the game already and would hate to restart. I just loaded up Wikipedia and the megatensei wiki, and their "synopsis' are identical, and barely there.

Is there a story synopsis somewhere? All I'm finding just seem to be intros to the story.

FluxWaveZ

This day last year was when Ultimax got officially announced and when the Atlus teaser website went up.

Wonder if they plan to do anything special for their 25th anniversary, seeing how some of their developments might have had complications, resulting in delays. They were talking it up last year... Well, if MysticDistance was right, there at least might be a new Persona 5 thing next week, though I dunno about that.

wmlk

So, did you guys like Marie-sona? Should I watch it?

I quit after the Christmas episode since I knew it wouldn't get any better.

Well, it's no surprise, but the final episode was pretty awful, for all the reasons you might expect. The only thing that could be considered it's saving grace was
Chie muttering "Golden..." every time someone else mentioned the time capsule.
It pared a great character down to a one line gag, but hey, it was as close as this episode got to any kind of narrative or tonal consistency for the twenty some odd minutes it was dragging the ruined carcass of Persona 4 characterizations across the screen.
If nothing else, it's impressive that they could cram all this inconsistency, poor quality control, "quality" animation, and bastardization of the source material into one episode.

It did remind me though that I actually quite like the new designs for the cast in the Golden epilogue. I think they're a good visual representation of the cast's development over the duration of the game, especially the conclusion they each reach at the end of their social links.

Dantis

Final episode was properly bad.

They did put the epilogue at less than six months after the main P4 though, which is interesting, if unsurprising.

I stand corrected, but at very least I believe it's the same author.

I believe I heard that the games were changed heavily from what the author wanted, particularly after the first one (I think it was meant to be a trilogy, also?), so this is how the story would have gone if they'd done what wanted to.

Also, I've said it before, but Resonance of Fate is amazing. Really, really great. Vashyron and Leanne are brilliant characters too.

If you have the patience to learn a battle system that is completely different from anything else out there and to endure a bit of repetition, I say go for it.
The story is almost nonexistent but the main characters totally made up for it, I finished the game only because I couldn't get enough of their interactions.
Like I said, the game can become a bit monotonous but personally I enjoyed the battle system and felt that it was satisfying after getting the hang of it.

Final episode was properly bad.

They did put the epilogue at less than six months after the main P4 though, which is interesting, if unsurprising.

I believe I heard that the games were changed heavily from what the author wanted, particularly after the first one (I think it was meant to be a trilogy, also?), so this is how the story would have gone if they'd done what wanted to.

Also, I've said it before, but Resonance of Fate is amazing. Really, really great. Vashyron and Leanne are brilliant characters too.

is there a definitive answer to when the golden epilogue takes place?
is it the same year as p4mc leaving inaba, or is it the year after? it takes place during summer right? so june-august?

pq takes place
during the game
and p4dancing takes place when definitively?

Dantis

is there a definitive answer to when the golden epilogue takes place?
is it the same year as p4mc leaving inaba, or is it the year after? it takes place during summer right? so june-august?

pq takes place
during the game
and p4dancing takes place when definitively?

P4 spoilers follow.

The implication seems to be that the epilogue is somwhere between July and September, whilst P4D is six months after P4, so it'll either be June (If it's six months after Adachi was arrested) or September (If it's six months after Narukami leaves).

Whichever it is, P4D doesn't fit in the timeline very neatly. It clashes with the epilogue whenever it takes place, because the epilogue implies that the characters haven't met up since Arena, implying that epilogue is before P4D, but P4D uses the original P4 designs, not the epilogue ones.

P4 spoilers follow.

The implication seems to be that the epilogue is somwhere between July and September, whilst P4D is six months after P4, so it'll either be June (If it's six months after Adachi was arrested) or September (If it's six months after Narukami leaves).

Whichever it is, P4D doesn't fit in the timeline very neatly. It clashes with the epilogue whenever it takes place, because the epilogue implies that the characters haven't met up since Arena, implying that epilogue is before P4D, but P4D uses the original P4 designs, not the epilogue ones.

can you answering:

1) golden epilogue takes place july-sep, is it the july-sep the same YEAR p4mc leaves inaba? same year or no

2) i did not playing p4arena as fighting game not interest me. p4golden epilogue refers to "the last time we met up", can i take it as reference to p4dancing in my headcanon, will it work? this means i thinking p4dancing take place BEFORE epilogue

essentially, p4mc doesnt leave inaba that long then he goes back and meets up with the crew right? whether its arena or epilogue, all take place within the SAME YEAR p4mc leaves inaba right?

pls answer the question... i am need to know!

Dantis

can you answering:

1) golden epilogue takes place july-sep, is it the july-sep the same YEAR p4mc leaves inaba? same year or no

2) i did not playing p4arena as fighting game not interest me. p4golden epilogue refers to "the last time we met up", can i take it as reference to p4dancing in my headcanon, will it work? this means i thinking p4dancing take place BEFORE epilogue

essentially, p4mc doesnt leave inaba that long then he goes back and meets up with the crew right? whether its arena or epilogue, all take place within the SAME YEAR p4mc leaves inaba right?

pls answer the question... i am need to know!

1) Presumably, yes. P4GA seems to assume so, also, and I would imagine that's the kind of thing they'd be able to clarify with Atlus.

2) I suppose so. Arena and Dancing All Night definitely take place in 2012, the same as the ending of Persona 4.

cj_iwakura

Right.

Ok, so I loaded up my save, and apparently I saved right outside of Aoba Park. I have no idea what I have done or where I need to go. I went to Kuzunaba and Ulala tells me that Baofu was scary at Zodiac (I remember this so that's not an issue), but I dug up a FAQ to see what was before Aoba park, and there's 2 Aoba's listed, so I don't know if I went there the first time or if this is supposed to be my "second visit". I kind of don't want to read the FAQ and spoil things, but is there anyone I can talk to in game to tell me where I should probably be going to find out where I left off?

And, I know someone might ask "well, do you remember Aoba park?" YES! But, like I said, a lot of really crappy real life happened since April, and prior to those bad things, I had played through IS and immediately started up EP, so I remember the park, I just don't remember if that's from IS or EP.

Going back to RPGs after months away and with lots happening in your life is hard.

Also, Katsuya and Baofu aren't completely at odds anymore, and I know about the "corruption" at the police, and so does Katsuya. In fact, looking at this FAQ's table of contents, it mentions a laboratory, and I certainly remember a scene with a bunch of dead people in it... was that at the lab? If that's the case, then this is my "second visit" to Aoba Park, and that probably means I've forgotten even more that I thought about the story.

The good thing about EP/IS is that you can't revisit cleared dungeons(aside from rare exceptions), so it should be easy to find out where you need to go by process of elimination. It sounds like you need to be at Aoba Park or maybe Smile Mall.

1) Presumably, yes. P4GA seems to assume so, also, and I would imagine that's the kind of thing they'd be able to clarify with Atlus.

2) I suppose so. Arena and Dancing All Night definitely take place in 2012, the same as the ending of Persona 4.

thanking you, you help me make my headcanon logical and strong. :) thanking

Kaper

I just started P3P for the first time, should I follow a guide to max out all social links in one play-through, or disregard guides and just play?

Totally untrue. DDS wasn't based on anything; these light novels are copyrighted 2011, seven years after the games came out.

I stand corrected, but at very least I believe it's the same author.

"The novels are Yu’s take on her own story, originally used as the basis for the video game duology, redone without any of the unique restrictions that a story needs to be subjected to in order to make it a playable video game narrative.[24] The first volume was released in English by Bento Books on July 30, 2014."

Is it these novels?

Top Bottom