• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

This truly was the highlight of the last episode of P4GA
VcMeND7.png

I dropped the show but I guess it's kinda cool that they put the epilogue in there too. It is strange that they put it 6 months after though. Now I'm unsure as to where P4DAN stands on the timeline because of the character designs being the old ones. Guess the easy answer is what I said before when this came up, they just chose the designs that everyone is familiar with.

Ok, so P4GA is over. That last episode was pretty bad. At least the epilogue was kind of good, but the QUALITY didn't help. Also, I found it hilarious that
Dojima doesn't seem to care about the fact that Marie, a friend of Yu that is clearly the same age/younger than him, is working on TV
. I want to forget everything that happened before the epilogue.

Now, on the show as a whole... I wanted this to be good. It could have been good. I liked Marie in the game, and I was hoping this would make her an interesting character to those who didn't like her... But nope, there was a point in which everything went downhill and it was like watching a train wreck.

I liked the first episodes, and I was fine with the show until the Christmas episode. Then the ski trip came, and it completely ignored one of my favorite Golden scenes in favor of a montage of Yu remembering Marie that lasted three minutes. Three minutes. Everything after that was bad. The lowest point in this show was
the """battle""" against Izanami. It was ridiculous. Yu was like "Oh, my friends are dead, but I don't care, I won't attack you because that might hurt Marie". And Marie defeating her with a hug was almost insulting.
I literally wanted to stop watching, but I couldn't, because I knew that the epilogue was going to happen after that and I wanted to watch it.

The best episodes and scenes of this show were
the ones focused on Adachi
. I'm really excited for the special episode, but I'm scared. What if they try to shoehorn Marie in there too?

I wanted to recommend this show to some friends who can't play P4G, but I'll just tell them to watch the new scenes on Youtube.

This could have been a good show, and I'm sad because I wanted it to be good... And because I wanted an Arena anime.

CorvoSol

P4GA12

I don't know enough swear words in enough languages to accurately convey to you the contempt I feel for the festering pile of diarrhetic bosta that was this episode and its flagrant disregard for everything that made Persona 4 what it was.

You could put a pen between my toes and I would be able to write a better Persona 4 fanfiction than this miserable, vile, repulsive and asinine Mary Sue fic here.

I don't even know if I'm going to come back and go into depth about this shit because I hate this episode so fucking much I can't bring myself to even consider it.

Lunar15

Part of me thinks that the Golden anime is an attempt to make the Persona 4 cast seem less appealing right before they release Persona 5. We'll get P5 and go, "Hey, this doesn't even have marie in it, it's great!"

They're just lowering our expectations to ensure they knock them out of the park. Yeah, that's it.

Caladrius

Part of me thinks that the Golden anime is an attempt to make the Persona 4 cast seem less appealing right before they release Persona 5. We'll get P5 and go, "Hey, this doesn't even have marie in it, it's great!"

They're just lowering our expectations to ensure they knock them out of the park. Yeah, that's it.

The correct explanation is that the anime team is not good at drama.

Had they gone with the ridiculous and self-aware route that the first half seemed to have at points it might have been half-decent, or at least not cringeworthy.

CorvoSol

Here's a list I managed to whip out, though:
1. Marie is fading. Again. So what did the last arc resolve? Why did we spend 3 episodes on this if we were just going to do it again for the finale? If we were going to use elements of the finale in Marie's arc, why not just merge them together in the first place?

2. Yu spends 0 time with the IT or his SLinks in this episode, despite that being how it went down in the game. Further enhancing the whole Marie is the only SLink in the show thing.

3. There's no conversation with Margaret and Igor, and no confrontation with Izanami. Instead, Yu learns what precious little of the Truth he learns from Marie.

4. In fact, Yu never interacts with Izanami, save it be through or about Marie. This is some kind of backwards, perverse failure of the Bechdel Test.

5. Izanagi no Okami is suddenly not good enough to conquer Izanami. This not only invalidates the whole Izanagi vs Izanami symbolism, it also continues the trashing of the whole epiphany the protagonist has about The World, his entrance into manhood, and The Truth. Of course, since he gained Izanagi because he realized he loved Marie instead of the world, I suppose that makes some pathetic sense.

6. So instead of the strength of his bonds and his love for everyone in town saving him, Yu is just saved by Marie. So that thing about bonds being power is basically uttershit. Especially since Yu and Marie haven't really got any good chemistry or bond going on.

7. Continuation of Marie's completely inconsistent power set. She gains a Persona or becomes one, it isn't clear. She is also becoming a Goddess. But she has control over Weather and Memories and she can grant wishes. All of which really just drives home what a complete Mary Sue she is (ask yourself: has any person in Persona ever held this sort of power before? Makoto conquers death, but at the cost of his own mortal life. Tatsuya rewrites the world, but at the cost of his relationship with Maya. But nobody can manipulate the weather and memories and grant wishes for free the way Marie apparently can.)

8. The fucking hand holding scene. Bad enough Yu's first on screen contact with a lady is with Marie (and mind you Chie, Rise, Yukiko and Naoto's chemistry with him has already been removed from the show entirely.) but now Marie tells us how Yu is feeling, instead of Yu doing that himself. What is the point of making this protagonist more than a silent protagonist if you then remove from him until he has less than he did as a Silent Protagonist? If Mamba hates the Yu Narukami of P4tA and the Arena series, let me add that I hate the Yu Narukami of Golden. He's an entirely bland, pointless, empty character. You'll find more personality in an Nintendo Mii than this guy.

9. Marie, not Yu, defeats Izanami. So why is Yu even here? How did he learn the Truth? In what way did he grow and overcome the final foe? And in return, what did Izanami learn here? When she dies in the game, she is defeated by your resolve, and she in turn allows humanity its second chance, saying she wants to see how it plays out. Here, though, she doesn't say anything. She just disappears.

10. They skip the entire final dungeon. They skip all kinds of shit just to make more time for Marie, really.

11. Speaking of which, in the extremely brief scene of Yu leaving Inaba, he doesn't say anything to his friends. He just looks at a tree and goes away.

12. Izanami herself ships Marie and Yu. And during the battle Yu is ready to sacrifice the entire world just to be with Marie, instead of how it went down in the first anime, where it was more his fear of parting with all his friends and family.

I can keep going but holy shit this anime is so, so bad.

I'm wondering if I should get Ultimax from the US PSN since Adachi and Marie are free during the first week, we still don't know if it will be the same in Yurop and I would be pissed if I ended up having to pay for them despite pre-ordering the game.

Jonnax

The Persona 4 Golden Animation is making me fear for Persona 5.

P4 came quite a few years ago, Golden introduced Marie and that felt like a calculated business move to capitalise on that character archetype.

I played P4 Arena and it felt like fanfiction with bad caricatures of the cast.

This anime was shocking and it took a crap on the game.

If these products are supervised by Atlas, why are they so bad in the story department? At this point I feel that believing that the P5 story will be good is blind faith.

Does anyone know if the writers for the games have changed?

Tamanon

Banned
The Persona 4 Golden Animation is making me fear for Persona 5.

P4 came quite a few years ago, Golden introduced Marie and that felt like a calculated business move to capitalise on that character archetype.

I played P4 Arena and it felt like fanfiction with bad caricatures of the cast.

This anime was shocking and it took a crap on the game.

If these products are supervised by Atlas, why are they so bad in the story department? At this point I feel that believing that the P5 story will be good is blind faith.

Does anyone know if the writers for the games have changed?

P4GA was not written by anyone working on Persona 5.

Persona 5 is its own beast.

CorvoSol

So yeah, rewatching the old P4tA makes me wonder how something that is obviously not well animated can still be so so much better.

But PK and I have been discussing which episodes are worth keeping out of this crapfest. Clothing shopping, Adachi's past and Christmas are all pretty good. Ski trip I don't know. From the cabin alone scene onward its just worse and worse.

Tamanon

Banned
I had no issue with P4GA personally. Sometimes it got a little too Mariey for me, but I wasn't looking for a straight adaptation. I just looked at it as a Persona 4 Gaiden, which meant different characterizations and situations.

PK Gaming

So yeah, rewatching the old P4tA makes me wonder how something that is obviously not well animated can still be so so much better.

But PK and I have been discussing which episodes are worth keeping out of this crapfest. Clothing shopping, Adachi's past and Christmas are all pretty good. Ski trip I don't know. From the cabin alone scene onward its just worse and worse.

Yeah, those are three are probably the go-to P4GA episodes.

The ski episode incorporates some decent character interaction, but it's marred by constant gasping and the references to Marie in the latter half are pretty obnoxious. Overall i'd say the ski episode is on the absolute border of awful and adequate.

I'd also consider watching the first episode and the band episode. They're awful, but awful in a way you can enjoy.

CorvoSol

Yeah, those are three are probably the go-to P4GA episodes.

The ski episode incorporates some decent character interaction, but it's marred by constant gasping and the references to Marie in the latter half are pretty obnoxious. Overall i'd say the ski episode is on the absolute border of awful and adequate.

I'd also consider watching the first episode and the band episode. They're awful, but awful in a way you can enjoy.

Yeah, the more I think about it, you can't start the ski trip without winding up going down the whole Marie dungeon road, so its better off being skipped. Marie stealing Rise's song blows, but I still think the band and beach episodes are serviceable.

They're probably actually horrible, but the pure shit that comes after them has lessened that blow considerably.

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty frustrated at P4GA. I keep thinking back to episode 6 and how the same concept could have been applied to many other episodes. They could have had an episode—before the confrontation with Shadow Yosuke—devoted to Yosuke's life prior to Inaba (heck, they made a whole manga out of this) and then how the transition was when he was forced to move, highlighting his boredom with being stuck in the boonies. How about another featuring Naoto, showing the struggles she had to deal with in her job with not being taken seriously by her peers? They could have applied this to any character whose backstory wasn't really explored up until now.

Obviously, this wasn't the goal of this series—making episode 6 one huge outlier among the rest for some reason—but I would have preferred that than what we got. It's part of why Shadow
Yukiko's
episode in the previous series was one of my favorites.

cj_iwakura

I'd be more interested in the deck if they included the minor arcana. You can't do a full reading without them.

"The novels are Yu’s take on her own story, originally used as the basis for the video game duology, redone without any of the unique restrictions that a story needs to be subjected to in order to make it a playable video game narrative.[24] The first volume was released in English by Bento Books on July 30, 2014."

Is it these novels?

Yes.

Jintor

Yo that's terrible. The ski trip is such an amazing part of golden. Can't believe it sounds like they fucked it up so badly

Sophia

Well it's called the Satomi Tadashi theme and he no longer works at Atlus, soo..

Bah, they can still have the store to honor his work. It's too awesome not to have.

Actually it's so ubiquitous in anime I just write it off as a trope

Yeah. It's basically covered under the following tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnmovingPlaid
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LimitedAnimation

Might be worth adding it's own trope if we can find more examples.... it bothers the hell out of me when it happens. >_>;

Top Bottom