• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Acid08

Banned
Five-minute Jack Frost. Medium: promotional Asus ballpoint pen on meeting notes.

frosty.jpg
Hee ho bro

Mdesilva

I think her mouth is kind of crooked. Maybe you can tilt it to the right a little?
I think you're improving; keep up the good work.
Well, I'm definitely glad you think I'm improving! I've been seriously trying to get into this, and I also feel like I'm getting better as I go. :)

I'll try to see what I can do about her mouth later.

5A

ByWH_BqCYAAVrXk.jpg

j.C

ByWHan3CYAAcNZG.png

Sweep

ByWIgvNIAAAmDwP.jpg
Pfft.

Also, LK's streaming Margaret stuff now: www.twitch.tv/lordknight

I've been digging into the PQ data and other 3ds data that I've been dumping. I noticed the PQ textures are pretty low res. Looks like they really lowered the resolution and then tried upscaling the texture has bleeding to it. So I'm working on redoing the textures and then lower the res and put them back in the game when tools are available to do that. With proper scaling. Going to try to do them all, and these models aren't that bad for a 3ds game honestly.

I did end up enjoying the game when I imported it (even though I couldn't understand a thing) , my first time playing an EO style game. Are they all similar to this? Minus the Persona qualities? If so I try playing the other ones.

Style

Banned
I've been digging into the PQ data and other 3ds data that I've been dumping. I noticed the PQ textures are pretty low res. Looks like they really lowered the resolution and then tried upscaling the texture has bleeding to it. So I'm working on redoing the textures and then lower the res and put them back in the game when tools are available to do that. With proper scaling. Going to try to do them all, and these models aren't that bad for a 3ds game honestly.

I did end up enjoying the game when I imported it (even though I couldn't understand a thing) , my first time playing an EO style game. Are they all similar to this? Minus the Persona qualities? If so I try playing the other ones.

Woah dude.

What sorcery is this :O Please do share more

pan-hime

are there any unused or strange assets?

Woah dude.
What sorcery is this :O Please do share more
are there any unused or strange assets?

Well I haven't really seen any strange assets if anything this game is pretty cleaned up. And it seems like they are using the same type of engine as in Catherine? Using Gamebryo formats still I believe since I remember the .bf formats for animations and models before. And other file formats from the previous persona games.

I'll continue to dig for more. I'm still trying to find everyones character model.

Gotta redo Junpei's textures and give him some justice.

6sQkWcTbrYEOhiOnWeQChls0eAZBp.jpg

Sophia

Wouldn't you be waiting a long time to do that? And wouldn't the game performance be impacted?

Woah dude.

Wouldn't you be waiting a long time to do that? And wouldn't the game performance be impacted?

Actually I wouldn't be waiting that long. We can already repack games already, I just have to make tools to repack the model container formats. And these textures are very low res compared to a lot of other models. And since this game is pretty bare I think it will handle it find being sampled down correctly at a better resolution.

Edit: I'm also just curious to see how much the 3ds can handle for a game like this.

Sophia

Actually I wouldn't be waiting that long. We can already repack games already, I just have to make tools to repack the model container formats. And these textures are very low res compared to a lot of other models. And since this game is pretty bare I think it will handle it find being sampled down correctly at a better resolution.

I'm surprised the tools to repack games in some manner exists. I didn't think work was that far already. Interesting...

Caladrius

I'm surprised the tools to repack games in some manner exists. I didn't think work was that far already. Interesting...

They've been ripping things out from Smash Bros. left and right too.

The 3DS was first hacked about a year ago, so it's not quite that surprising. I imagine the region lock has been quite the impetus for figuring out how to crack the system and cartridges open.

Only issue is that its only workable with the GateWay and using zeroed keys since there is no kernel access to do this normally since no one has released an exploit ,but if one ever does come out then modding should be more open then. I just want to get a bit of a head start on these file formats. Since its using Nintendo's standard model format it seems for this game and many other games.

I prefer not to have the gateway and low firmware be a standard for modding, but we'll see where it goes if smea's work comes out to be workable for modding without piracy.

Sophia

They've been ripping things out from Smash Bros. left and right too.

The 3DS was first hacked about a year ago, so it's not quite that surprising. I imagine the region lock has been quite the impetus for figuring out how to crack the system and cartridges open.

Well I knew they had means of ripping stuff. Actually re-packing it is a different story and what I wasn't sure about.

Only issue is that its only workable with the GateWay and using zeroed keys since there is no kernel access to do this normally since no one has released an exploit ,but if one ever does come out then modding should be more open then. I just want to get a bit of a head start on these file formats. Since its using Nintendo's standard model format it seems for this game and many other games.

I prefer not to have the gateway and low firmware be a standard for modding, but we'll see where it goes if smea's work comes out to be workable for modding without piracy.

Makes sense. I didn't think there was kernel access yet. And yeah, I get what you mean with GateWay and lower firmware. It's a pain in the ass for everyone if they constantly have to keep dealing with firmware updates.

I wonder what else could be improved with Persona Q besides the models? I bet the music probably isn't the highest quality.

Anyone know when the JPN DVD release is for the Persona 3 movie 2?

Nothings been said yet as far as I know. I would assume we'd get a release date in November most likely judging by how many months it took the first one. As to when we'll be able to get it might be early next year possibly.

They haven't said anything about the 3rd movie yet so I would assume once they start doing that then we'll see the 2nd movie coming.

Xenoflare

Marge looks like a difficult character to use.

But she does seems better than Liz.... although her auto combo kinda stinks though.

Mdesilva

Margaret looks... interesting. Hopefully I can find some cool stuff later today when I finally get to play her.

Remembering all these moves /may/ be a challenge lol

FluxWaveZ

Marge looks like a difficult character to use.

But she does seems better than Liz.... although her auto combo kinda stinks though.

I wouldn't say it's particularly bad. Her 5A range is huge, and though the frame advantage isn't great, it still gives her enough room to do what she does. Plus, 5B > 5A is excellent for a block string.

Probably played around 40 matches with her so far (kind of bothers me that they removed the W/L display in Lobby mode and Player Lobbies, but I guess I get why). She's also probably my favorite of the newcomers, and will probably play a lot of her.

Xenoflare

I wouldn't say it's particularly bad. Her 5A range is huge, and though the frame advantage isn't great, it still gives her enough room to do what she does. Plus, 5B > 5A is excellent for a block string.

Probably played around 40 matches with her so far (kind of bothers me that they removed the W/L display in Lobby mode and Player Lobbies, but I guess I get why). She's also probably my favorite of the newcomers, and will probably play a lot of her.

Haha, no arguments here, I won't have the game til Tuesday and there is another week after that for her to get here.

So what exactly is the use of her 2nd awakening super? (The time reversal one?)

It either sounds very broken or useless.

Hmm cool stuff, I want to see how it goes with that PQ stuff that you are doing. Kinda weird that they mix the quality of their assets, but the 3DS isn't that much of a powerhouse either so idk...

And I'll see if I can whip something up for the 5 min sketch thing. Possibly in class today, I'll give it a shot.

Jintor

Tbh not a bad memory aigis considering I haven't drawn for about two months and I haven't looked at anything persons related in maybe three...

Nachos

(TL;DR – Etrian is a very, very dense game that lives and dies by its exploration and stupidly-robust battle system, the latter of which not even Q has. This explanation's in-depth but long in the tooth; I suggest just downloading the demo for IV, since you can transfer your progress from the end of it to the main game.)

---

Kinda. It's got the cartography, the same first-person perspective, and the formation-based battle system where you queue up all of your actions before acting, but the battle system is still pretty different. Even though Q has customization in terms of picking from a ton of party members and sub-personas, Etrian goes even further with its customization. Party-building has an even bigger emphasis because so many skills can synergize with each other, so with skill trees and sub-class systems, you can really fine-tune your party to your liking.

It doesn't have anything like the standard one more/press turn/boost systems, but it doesn't really need them, either. Everything's viable most of the time (status ailments work on and are great against every single boss), and the battles are more involved, too. Some classes even have skills that can only be used by comboing into them with other skills first. Plus, unlike Persona 3/4, no classes share skills, so routine doesn't set in quite as quickly.

Meia

(TL;DR – Etrian is a very, very dense game that lives and dies by its exploration and stupidly-robust battle system, the latter of which not even Q has. This explanation's in-depth but long in the tooth; I suggest just downloading the demo for IV, since you can transfer your progress from the end of it to the main game.)

---

Kinda. It's got the cartography, the same first-person perspective, and the formation-based battle system where you queue up all of your actions before acting, but the battle system is still pretty different. Even though Q has customization in terms of picking from a ton of party members and sub-personas, Etrian goes even further with its customization. Party-building has an even bigger emphasis because so many skills can synergize with each other, so with skill trees and sub-class systems, you can really fine-tune your party to your liking.

It doesn't have anything like the standard one more/press turn/boost systems, but it doesn't really need them, either. Everything's viable most of the time (status ailments work on and are great against every single boss), and the battles are more involved, too. Some classes even have skills that can only be used by comboing into them with other skills first. Plus, unlike Persona 3/4, no classes share skills, so routine doesn't set in quite as quickly.

I'll go one further and describe what my party was like throughout all of EO4.

I had a dancer, fortress, and lands on my front row, with a medic and sniper in my back. Everyone would spend the first turn buffing different things. Dancer would use a dance that let other characters on her line attack whenever she did, lands would use an ability to ensure they acted first. On turn two, Dancer would use another dance that let her attack whenever another character on her line attacked, and lands would use an ability to improve a certain move they had. Turn 3 hell would be unleashed. The dancer was a dual wielder at this point, and had an ability to let her attack between one and FOUR times with each swing of each weapon. The lands would put out an attack that did elemental damage, but then made it so anyone who attacked after would also get a bonus attack with the same elemental.

Lands attacks with special, dancer follows up the attack because of her dance, the followup dance attack procs the elemental attack going off again.

Dancer attacks normally with main hand, elemental attack triggers. Dance triggers that lets another character on her line attack, elemental attack triggers again.

Dancer procs another main hand melee, elemental attack triggers. Dance triggers that lets another character on her line attack, elemental attack triggers again.

(repeat another two times possibly, or go to next line)

Dancer attacks with offhand weapon melee, elemental attack trigger. Dance triggers that lets another character on her line attack, elemental attack triggers again.

(this step can repeat another 1-3 times)

This process is made even more hilarious in that the lands can get a passive that makes this elemental attack do more damage after every time it triggers, ramping up the overall damage.

Only THEN do the other characters get their turns. This is EO4's combat system in a nutshell, and this isn't the only class combo that can play off each other like this. :D

Yes, I just geeked out for a minute there, but it's SO GOOD.

biodude

Neo Member
Well I haven't really seen any strange assets if anything this game is pretty cleaned up. And it seems like they are using the same type of engine as in Catherine? Using Gamebryo formats still I believe since I remember the .bf formats for animations and models before. And other file formats from the previous persona games.

I'll continue to dig for more. I'm still trying to find everyones character model.

Its really cool that you're doing this, Its a shame how low res the textures are though (I expected so on a 3ds). At least they look a bit better in game from what I can tell

PK Gaming

Love, love, LOVE Margaret

The Persona selection concept is really ingenious. Fighting with/switching between multiple Personas on the fly is just cool, it totally encapsulates the P3/P4 way of fighting. But more than that, I love how physical she gets. She elbows you. She knees you. She goddamn supplexes you. She's not like Liz; Margaret will fucking backhand you if she has to. It's great how Margaret eschews the generic "female mage user=lower health" trope because she ain't about that business. 9500HP for life.

You mean Mediarahan? I dunno; haven't done much with it. Certainly not broken.

Mediarahan is definitely hilarious

Margaret: If I heal you back up first, that makes this a fair right, doesn't it?

FluxWaveZ

Margaret sounds OP. What's her negatives?

I don't really think she sounds OP. She's been out for less than a day, in any case.

Negatives? She doesn't have a great anti-air, from what I can tell. Her 2B is air blockable and has slow recovery; seems more like a combo extender than anything. 2D isn't a great AA, either.

She doesn't seem to have a great reversal option. Her DP is garbage and she doesn't seem to have a safe super to do on wake-up; I guess 236236A/B is the closest, though I'm not sure about her SB options or that tornado super. Once the opponent gets in, she has limited options to get out.

If she gets Persona broken, she's vulnerable for a very long time.

PK Gaming

Adding to what Flux said, nearly all of her moves are disadvantage on block (though they can be cancelled in other moves). She also has slow normals, which gives her trouble on defense (further exacerbated by her meh reversal options)

She definitely has a ton of untapped potential though

kewlmyc

Oh okay. You mentioned that she's surprisingly physical compared to Elizabeth, so I thought that would translate to her being good close up as well.

PK Gaming

Oh okay. You mentioned that she's surprisingly physical compared to Elizabeth, so I thought that would translate to her being good close up as well.

I was just talking about her moves in a vacuum (Though Margaret is actually pretty good at close range, hehe)

You know how Elizabeth fights by using cards, right? Like, Elizabeth doesn't actually physically hit the opponent with most of her moves. Margaret on the other hand, elbows, knees, backhands, supplexes, in addition to fighting with cards.

Mdesilva

Margaret sounds OP. What's her negatives?
Honestly, within the first week+, you can't really easily tell how good a character is. People still have extremely differing opinions on how good Marie is, so there's no way to really know yet.

But yeah, I guess Flux/PK broke down some of the more noticeable things. Just saying in a general sense, we won't really know yet.

So, uh, jumping through the RAW P4GA Episode 12: (Persona 4 spoilers too!)-- that's obvious >.<

It looks like complete GARBAGE. Seriously. It's like "power of friendship" but "power of MARIE". ugh.

And then, they actually show the Golden Ending! I thought that would be reserved for the Bonus/OVA episode. Then again, what else can they show?

It would be nice if they did an special episode for Accomplice Ending, though.

Tamanon

Banned
So, uh, jumping through the RAW P4GA Episode 12: (Persona 4 spoilers too!)-- that's obvious >.<

It looks like complete GARBAGE. Seriously. It's like "power of friendship" but "power of MARIE". ugh.

And then, they actually show the Golden Ending! I thought that would be reserved for the Bonus/OVA episode. Then again, what else can they show?

Your last sentence is on the home DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Caladrius

The accomplice ending would only work well if there was actual dramatic tension in the show.

Your last sentence is on the home DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Wait what, really?

Uh, are you talking about a special episode? or about a special
accomplice
episode? Might be too soon to know it, I mean, there's some months left.

And I completely agree, Caladrius. I don't think it would work
because MARY would be all annoying and "stay away from that jerk youstupidfsteakjerkihateyou"

Top Bottom