• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Nah, this time, I think it's safe to say that the last character will be Margaret, unless they're pulling the craziest surprise ever with a 10th new character only being revealed once players have discovered it for themselves... Which I really, really doubt. It goes:

April = Rise
May = Ken and Koromaru
June = {Redacted]
July = Marie
August = Margaret

Ah you never know though, given the nature of the character in question they may be delaying until after launch before announcing so that people can clear the story mode first.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right, but you never know.

FluxWaveZ

Ah you never know though, given the nature of the character in question they may be delaying until after launch before announcing so that people can clear the story mode first.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right, but you never know.

You're right, though this thing would have to be a major secret. I mean, literally nothing about the character would be shown in any way before the game's release. Does that even happen in fighting games anymore?

We don't know, but Margaret makes it so we know who each of the 37 DLC cards are, who August's character reveal will probably be and restore symmetry to the final character select screen. 9 new characters is way more than I would have anticipated, so I'll just assume that we're done now and just be really glad if I'm wrong.

Squire

Banned
Jiust going to go ahead and say that if anyone thought that updated cover art was fake, you are a very silly person

I mean, yeah, the art was clearly new and in line with Soejima's hand, but when the point of origin for something is GameFAQs you just never know.

I wonder if people still think that this game isn't worthy of full price status, granted 3 characters are DLC, but this is still a fuckload of content we're getting.

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting that they'd choose to modify the box art specifically for these A5 clear files when it probably would have been easier to keep it as-is, and when no one would have thought twice about it. They had to know what they were doing.

I wonder if people still think that this game isn't worthy of full price status, granted 3 characters are DLC, but this is still a fuckload of content we're getting.

I agree, I'll be putting the money down without a second thought.

Ep 2 of the Golden anime cracked me up. People need to stop taking this stuff so seriously, it's like the aditional scenes you get from a director's cut version of a movie.
It obviously doesn't work on its own but that wasn't the intention.
Also Shihoko totally needs to wear a Marie outfit for the next show.
God damn the release date of the Budokan dvd still seems so far away.

Interesting that Soejima picked Aigis and Yukari as his favorite Persona designs in that recent interview, I've always wondered which were his favorites.

Dantis

I agree, I'll be putting the money down without a second thought.

Ep 2 of the Golden anime cracked me up. People need to stop taking this stuff so seriously, it's like the aditional scenes you get from a director's cut version of a movie.
It obviously doesn't work on its own but that wasn't the intention.
Also Shihoko totally needs to wear a Marie outfit for the next show.
God damn the release date of the Budokan dvd still seems so far away.

To be fair, I don't think I've seen a single person take the second episoe of P4GA 'so seriously'. Definitely not in here.

It's two episodes. I still haven't seen anyone take it very seriously at all.

Like, you're either in on the joke and along for the ride or you're over P4 altogether, so you're not discussing the anime to begin with.

I've seen a lot of people getting kinda upset about it lol, is all I'm saying.

Dantis

So if that new box art is the one that's going to be used on the case, how does everyone feel about them advertising characters that aren't actually in the game unless you buy the DLC?

I think, if it were a game I was heavily invested in, I'd just buy the characters at this point. I don't think I'd be upset about it.

So if that new box art is the one that's going to be used on the case, how does everyone feel about them advertising characters that aren't actually in the game unless you buy the DLC?

I think, if it were a game I was heavily invested in, I'd just buy the characters at this point. I don't think I'd be upset about it.

Well, though it doesn't bother me in particular I think it's a valid complaint. Personally I think they shouldn't do that, put them on the back of the box and mention they can be purchased as dlc.

kewlmyc

Yoshitsune.
I'm hoping for this as well.

I wonder how she'll play. Ooh, I hope she floats the entire time.

So many DLC characters, I hope none of them are Kokonoe levels of broken.

Also, can we finally give this whole Makoto thing a rest already? It was really starting to get annoying.

I was wondering about that, too. But considering that there are only Soejima designed Personae in the game so far, I'm not sure whether they'll give Margaret one as well.
Who else is there for her to use that was designed by Soejima?

cj_iwakura

I met the Atlus USA staff at EVO, they were pretty cool, especially Rob and Namba.

Mostly talked Persona, SMT, and even Growlanser, fun times. They know their stuff and want If iOS as much as I do. :D

I hope, anyway.

Ultimax looks phenomenal. Did some of Lizzie's story mode, was hysterical.

So it was Margaret all along uh... Good thing I was ready to get my heart broken.
R.I.P.
Makoto.

P3 MC (male and female) will probably end up being dlc that isn't story related, Atlus can't ignore how well those would sell but there's no need to mess with the story just for the sake of including them.

cj_iwakura

Pics, Atlus EVO:

81G24v8.jpg

d3cYFpA.jpg

GZIMSUD.jpg

Hashino said as much a while ago.

He said if they ever do a third game, he wants it to be something entirely new.

Well, I'm pretty sure that P5 wont be directly connected to 3&4 so a third arena game would necessarily not be a direct sequel either.
I doubt they'll go back to 3&4 after P5 releases and at this point they're really pushing it with extending the story anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 5 Arena. Where Yu will be the returning character with the other P5 characters.

And he'll be S-tier in that game too.

DNAbro

P3 MC (male and female) will probably end up being dlc that isn't story related, Atlus can't ignore how well those would sell but there's no need to mess with the story just for the sake of including them.

Marie and Margret aren't going to have story DLC. The P3MC dream is dead.

FluxWaveZ

I doubt they'll go back to 3&4 after P5 releases and at this point they're really pushing it with extending the story anyway.

The thing is that it isn't that simple. They've put a ton of work into creating characters, stages, music, art, etc. for them to simply throw it away in a potential P4A3. Roster choices are obviously relevant to the story, though, so would that mean the whole cast would be returning for some reason in a sequel? If not, would they really throw away that work, forsaking the total number of content and the fans who already got used to them before (e.g. playing certain characters that would be removed)?

They can't just refresh a P4A3 that would have a total number of 12 characters that were either from P5 or original; that would be senseless. But then would they try to shoehorn another storyline involving P3 and P4 when this is supposed to be the grand conclusion to the P-1 Grand Prix? There are a lot of questions like that about the possibility of a P4A3, like would ASW and Atlus continue to go the route of using sprites, or would they use Xrd type models? Maybe, relating to the latter, we wouldn't see a P4A3 for a real long time (like 4-5+ years), only for it to return as this refresh, which would make it more sensible as it wouldn't be so closely tied to the first two games.

All we know is this: P4A is one of the most successful modern fighting games in terms of reception and sales, and that the game's director has stated the following:
Wada: Persona 4 Arena" was our first attempt at a "Persona" fighting game, so we focused heavily on making sure we had a solid foundation with all of the basic components a player would expect from a fighting game. This of course means that I at least want to see how far we can expand this horizon as well. There are lots of new characters I want to bring in, and I would love it if the name "Persona" eventually earned its place as a staple of the fighting game genre.

Marie and Margret aren't going to have story DLC. The P3MC dream is dead.

They're still most likely going to appear in the story itself, though.

Dantis

He never said this, unless by "entirely new" you're referring simply to the P-1 Grand Prix storyline.

"...we could keep going from there if we really wanted to, but if we ever go in that direction, it'll likely be as a part of a new story altogether"

is what I was referring to.

FluxWaveZ

"...we could keep going from there if we really wanted to, but if we ever go in that direction, it'll likely be as a part of a new story altogether"

is what I was referring to.

Then yeah, they've always stated that it would be part of a new storyline, but there's no way to guess from that whether or not it would involve P3/P4 characters.

FluxWaveZ

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, dear.

Then what did you mean by saying this?

With almost all P4/P3 characters added in, I'm guessing there won't ever be a P4A3.

Hashino said as much a while ago.

Hashino never said that a direct sequel after the events of P4A and P4AU wouldn't happen. He never said that it wouldn't involve P3/P4 characters. He never said that it wouldn't even be called "P4U3", either.

Meia

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, dear.

Then that would be very silly and weird.

Still doable though. Could always be a kind of "Shang Tsung" kind of character that could just switch out personas in actual combat and use other movesets or something(or ones similar to the cast itself, hence the referenced character).

I mean, I don't see it happening, but if they were to do it it would probably be along those lines. Always weird to have Yu and Aigis strictly tied to one persona(moreso Aigis since I think she loses use of Athena in the Answer, doesn't she?).

Of course, it does also raise the question of what to do with Margaret now in terms of a Persona? Maybe she can be the one to use multiple ones?

I mean, I don't see it happening, but if they were to do it it would probably be along those lines. Always weird to have Yu and Aigis strictly tied to one persona(moreso Aigis since I think she loses use of Athena in the Answer, doesn't she?).

Nah.
Athena just becomes Orpheus.
She can fuse it again.

Dantis

Then what did you mean by saying this?

Hashino never said that a direct sequel after the events of P4A and P4AU wouldn't happen. He never said that it wouldn't involve P3/P4 characters. He never said that it wouldn't even be called "P4U3", either.

I never mentioned the title, or the Persona 3 or 4 characters. What I meant is exactly what I quoted, that a new game will be a whole new story, and not a continuation of Persona Arena.

I really need to stop indulging your weird obsession with semantics. It's really petty and weird, and it just feels like you're trying to call people out on non-existent things.

Still doable though. Could always be a kind of "Shang Tsung" kind of character that could just switch out personas in actual combat and use other movesets or something(or ones similar to the cast itself, hence the referenced character).

Of course, it does also raise the question of what to do with Margaret now in terms of a Persona? Maybe she can be the one to use multiple ones?
Recreating a 2D character with all previous movesets would be a heck of a lot of work, I think. :p

I think if he was in, he'd just use Orpheus.

Meia

Nah.
Athena just becomes Orpheus.
She can fuse it again.

Ah ok.

Still wonder what Margaret's persona is going to be, since they've made it a point to stick with ones characters most identify with(for the ones that are able to pick). Elizabeth of course would choose what she would choose, but Margaret doesn't really have that kind of motivation to have one chosen, is she?

...watch it be Oberon. :p

FluxWaveZ

I never mentioned the title, or the Persona 3 or 4 characters. What I meant is exactly what I quoted, that a new game will be a whole new story, and not a continuation of Persona Arena.

I really need to stop indulging your weird obsession with semantics. It's really petty and weird, and it just feels like you're trying to call people out on non-existant things.

It's semantics, but I'm guessing what Tamanon meant when he said "P4A3" was different than what you meant, which is why I found it necessary to clarify the point; it's more confusing when people quote others out of context. It's not that I call people out, but that I'm trying to get the facts straight, lest we turn into another kind of site where people are throwing around rumors as though they're facts. "A new story altogether" could also take place immediately after P4AU, which was my point.

Ah ok.

Still wonder what Margaret's persona is going to be, since they've made it a point to stick with ones characters most identify with(for the ones that are able to pick). Elizabeth of course would choose what she would choose, but Margaret doesn't really have that kind of motivation to have one chosen, is she?

...watch it be Oberon. :p

Watch it be Theo! XD

Top Bottom