• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

The thing is that it isn't that simple. They've put a ton of work into creating characters, stages, music, art, etc. for them to simply throw it away in a potential P4A3. Roster choices are obviously relevant to the story, though, so would that mean the whole cast would be returning for some reason in a sequel? If not, would they really throw away that work, forsaking the total number of content and the fans who already got used to them before (e.g. playing certain characters that would be removed)?

They can't just refresh a P4A3 that would have a total number of 12 characters that were either from P5 or original; that would be senseless. But then would they try to shoehorn another storyline involving P3 and P4 when this is supposed to be the grand conclusion to the P-1 Grand Prix? There are a lot of questions like that about the possibility of a P4A3, like would ASW and Atlus continue to go the route of using sprites, or would they use Xrd type models? Maybe, relating to the latter, we wouldn't see a P4A3 for a real long time (like 4-5+ years), only for it to return as this refresh, which would make it more sensible as it wouldn't be so closely tied to the first two games.

All we know is this: P4A is one of the most successful modern fighting games in terms of reception and sales, and that the game's director has stated the following:

They're still most likely going to appear in the story itself, though.

I get your point but yeah, I think they'll drop it and start fresh with the new cast.
As for the number of characters, they can make more specifically for the fighting game, just like they did with Labrys and Sho.

The best solution would be to stop considering the fighting games cannon and just come up with some silly typical fighting game story like Dissidia.
This way they can throw everything they want at it, from P1&2 characters to the P3 MC and nobody would bat an eyelash.
This would actually be the ideal solution.
I appreciate their concern to keep the story consistent throughout all the spin offs but it's extremely limiting and after a certain point also very silly.

It's semantics, but I'm guessing what Tamanon meant when he said "P4A3" was different than what you meant, which is why I found it necessary to clarify the point; it's more confusing when people quote others out of context. It's not that I call people out, but that I'm trying to get the facts straight, lest we turn into another kind of site where people are throwing around rumors as though they're facts. "A new story altogether" could also take place immediately after P4AU, which was my point.

I understand your point Flux, and I don't mean to barge on your conversation, but quite frankly that would make this space so uptight that no one would be able to voice their opinions or ideas without the "police" jumping on the person. After a long day of lectures or work or whatever, this is a space to relax and have fun, we are talking about video games here. We are all here to have fun... With that mentality not just me, but everyone in this thread will just feel oppressed as fuck, and I feel like we all have enough of that in out real lives aha. Just my 2 cents!

FluxWaveZ

Watch it be Theo! XD

Ooh, a tag character where both Theo and Margaret fight as one and where they can call each other out for assists, like a SFxT/MvC/Skullgirls system reserved for a single character. Impossible, but ASW sure has awesome designs for their characters, so I wonder what Margaret will have.

Theodore fighting makes me think it'd look ridiculous.

I understand your point Flux, and I don't mean to barge on your conversation, but quite frankly that would make this space so uptight that no one would be able to voice their opinions or ideas without the "police" jumping on the person. After a long day of lectures or work or whatever, this is a space to relax and have fun, we are talking about video games here. We are all here to have fun... With that mentality not just me, but everyone in this thread will just feel oppressed as fuck, and I feel like we all have enough of that in out real lives aha. Just my 2 cents!

Oh, sure, I generally agree with that. I speculate a lot myself, but I still think it's important to at least have claims sourced by another to not be baseless or even lies, you know? I guess there's a middle ground there. Basically, I don't want us to be GameFAQs or Youtube comments.

I just noticed that they released the trailer for Persora, the Golden Best. Pepsiman, will you translate this so we can at least understand part of the jokes.

I just noticed that they released the trailer for Persora, the Golden Best. Pepsiman, will you translate this so we can at least understand part of the jokes.

Speaking of translations, did anyone ever put some subs on the backstage/rehearsal footage of the last Persona Music Live dvd?

Oh, sure, I generally agree with that. I speculate a lot myself, but I still think it's important to at least have claims sourced by another to not be baseless or even lies, you know? I guess there's a middle ground there. Basically, I don't want us to be GameFAQs or Youtube comments.
Now that I agree with. Baseless jargon should be kept at a minimum, but we also shouldn't need to restrain ourselves from speculation like you said. Even though many may use this as a portal for all news Persona, one has to also realize that this is a community thread first and foremost, right?

Dantis

My comment wasn't baseless and it wasn't a lie. You even knew what quote I was referencing, you just interpreted the wording slightly differently. There are definitely times when sourcing is necessary and semantics are important. If I had said "Yeah, Hashino said he's cancelling Persona after the fifth game", then it would make sense. Here, it didn't.

We are not a journalistic outlet and we are not journalists. Comments like "He never said that" (in this context) are stupid, petty and stifle conversation. If you have something of value to say, then say it. But likewise, the world probably won't end if you don't say "WRONG" "Why?" "His wording was slightly different and could be interpreted a slightly different way".

We're a community thread for talking about Persona. Probably best not to forget that.

FluxWaveZ

My comment wasn't baseless and it wasn't a lie. You even knew what quote I was referencing, you just interpreted the wording slightly differently. There are definitely times when sourcing is necessary and semantics are important. If I had said "Yeah, Hashino said he's cancelling Persona after the fifth game", then it would make sense. Here, it didn't.

I didn't say it was; now you're the one misinterpreting what I was saying.

Even though many may use this as a portal for all news Persona, one has to also realize that this is a community thread first and foremost, right?

Heh, and apparently for other stuff like Danganronpa or Jojo's, but yes.

Sophia

This is a bit off-topic. However as a fellow PersonaGAF user gave me a beta key to Destiny, and now I've been able to claim two additional keys of my own, I want to pay it forward by posting these here first. I've got one key for the PS3 and one for the PS4. Help yourself.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 PSN keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855028.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sophia, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Destiny Beta PS3 -- MB-A0B7D59850BDA295 - Taken by Meia

Dantis

This is a bit off-topic. However as a fellow PersonaGAF user gave me a beta key to Destiny, and now I've been able to claim two additional keys of my own, I want to pay it forward by posting these here first. I've got one key for the PS3 and one for the PS4. Help yourself.

This is really cool of you.

Meia

Wait, it's on the PS3 too? Buh?

Heh, and apparently for other stuff like Danganronpa or Jojo's, but yes.
One simply cannot deny the resemblances aha. I love how Persona actually embraces JoJo like they do. I mean come on:
wOhzyaJ.png

Stupidly awesome.

FluxWaveZ

Eh, figured Margaret would be in after they re-rerecorded her character select screen lines.

Guess that kind of makes sense; hadn't thought of it before. If they're mixing both old and new VA for character battle VO, they might have just been able to recycle those ones too. Then again, it could have just been a decision to make it less jarring if she has several lines of dialogue in the story.

It's unfortunate I'm not really feeling Margaret's new VA, right now. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

Yup. Sony has done a good job convincing people it's a PS4 game however.

Heck, thinking about Destiny being a 360 game is kind of crazy to me.

Dantis

On the Jojo and Danganronpa thing, we should try to stop going off topic.

People seemed a bit peeved about it on Twitter, but I'm not sure anyone actually said anything.

Andrefpvs

So if that new box art is the one that's going to be used on the case, how does everyone feel about them advertising characters that aren't actually in the game unless you buy the DLC?

I think, if it were a game I was heavily invested in, I'd just buy the characters at this point. I don't think I'd be upset about it.

If this means I can get Marie on my cover, I'm okay with it :3

Sophia

I'm kind of curious as to how Margaret will play. Given how she fought
at the end of Persona 4: The Animation
, I'm wondering if she'll play similar to how I envisioned the P3 protagonist playing as and using multiple Personas.

On the Jojo and Danganronpa thing, we should try to stop going off topic.

People seemed a bit peeved about it on Twitter, but I'm not sure anyone actually said anything.
PGaf on twitter? I dont use it much but I needa follow you all lol. Using the same username as here

FluxWaveZ

I'm kind of curious as to how Margaret will play. Given how she fought
at the end of Persona 4: The Animation
, I'm wondering if she'll play similar to how I envisioned the P3 protagonist playing as and using multiple Personas.

Here's a page for a discussion we had on the possibility of Margaret being a playable character. My thoughts were:
If she were to be included, they could probably do anything they wanted. It would depend on her design and/or the game's narrative. Maybe they could give her Pixie, maybe not. Maybe she could be a character who uses the opponent's Persona against them where her C and D moves are replaced by the opponent's Persona, maybe not. It was previously suggested for another character, but maybe her playstyle would rely on switching her C and D moves by switching Personae.

Dantis

@brinkofmemories is the account I use the most now. I have a personal one, but I don't tweet very much on it, it's mostly for following.

Still doable though. Could always be a kind of "Shang Tsung" kind of character that could just switch out personas in actual combat and use other movesets or something(or ones similar to the cast itself, hence the referenced character).

I mean, I don't see it happening, but if they were to do it it would probably be along those lines. Always weird to have Yu and Aigis strictly tied to one persona(moreso Aigis since I think she loses use of Athena in the Answer, doesn't she?).

Of course, it does also raise the question of what to do with Margaret now in terms of a Persona? Maybe she can be the one to use multiple ones?

I was imagining it would be cool if Elizabeth summoned different personas for her various elemental specials (Surt for Agi, Cu Cuchlain for Garu etc). I was also wondering what the game would be like if you could select characters and their personas independently (I believe Arcana Heart has something like that going on?) The engine's not built for that, admittedly, everyone's attacks are very tightly integrated with their personas.

I was away from the internet for just one day and now Margaret is in Ultimax. I wonder what would happen in one month.

Here's what I think about her playstyle: considering that Ken and Koromaru only use their Personas in their special attacks, what if Margaret doesn't have Persona normals (like Sho) and she uses multiple Personas for her specials? Would that be easier to do than making her use different Personas even in ther normal attacks?

This post was brought to you by "I just want Jack Frost in this game" and "I've been playing too much Chrono Phantasma".

Also, if anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, you can find me @Lucasjrivarola

@ADeadDiehard.
I rarely tweet unless it's about my reviews. (And I'm not getting to Persona for a long time)
Always have a tab open for my feed, though.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
So now marg is most likely going to be last playable character could this mean its
R.I.P makoto??

Maybe he is story only but playable is kinda out the window

I guess if we're sharing twitter stuff, @CrazyTank940

also dat margaret art on the poster. I don't wanna get my hopes up but it's kinda happening lol

@CallMePG is my twitter. I tweet semi-regularly so follow if you want.

Here's what I think about her playstyle: considering that Ken and Koromaru only use their Personas in their special attacks, what if Margaret doesn't have Persona normals (like Sho) and she uses multiple Personas for her specials? Would that be easier to do than making her use different Personas even in ther normal attacks?

It makes sense on paper, but think about the amount of work it would require to draw seperate sprites for each persona. If she does end up being part of the game I think they'll just give her one persona and call it a day.

Oh, we're doing twitters now? Ok, mines @reanimatoin

Also, back (sorta) on topic of the whole next persona fighting game thingy, I would be happy either way. If they made a P4U3, a P5U or even a game with an ENTIRELY new set of characters and storylines.

Out of the three, I would assume P5U would come out probably a year or two after P5's release.

Silky

Banned
How come they just can't do an joke story esque storyline to include P3 Protag. Kinda like how Robo Ky's stories are in GG.

Just finished watching the 2nd episode of the golden animation.

Kinda disappointed that (spoilers just in case)
We don't get to see an animation of Yu getting the older pretty girl's number, than calling to find out it's a pissed off guy's cell like in Persona Golden.
XD

kewlmyc

@Kewlmyc

Anyway, I like Makoto, I really do. He's my second favorite MC design in the Persona series (Pierced Boy is first), and I actually kinda like his distant personality if the movie is anything to go by. However, he shouldn't be in the fighting game series for obvious reasons.
Some people are throwing around that maybe Nyarly could make a fake version of him to troll the P3 cast, but then it wouldn't be Makoto, he would be a villain. So even then you're not really playing as him, just as an evil "clone" of him. Also, unlike Marie and Margaret, he'd just be another sword user, so I can't really think of how original his moveset would be. Just let him rest in peace.

Top Bottom