• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

PK Gaming

Ok, time to switch gears.

Vox Chaotica, your attention please! While i'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed Makoto x Sho, all good things must come to an end. We must look to the future, and that future is:

cIL8BXE.png

This is your new avatar until further notice.

As Rumiko Takahashi said when asked a question along similar lines regarding Ranma, "I don't think about that, and neither should you."

sorry but i have no idea about that history, feel really lost

it got me thinking because of playing oreshika 2, the genetic passing down point

i think each persona numbered title seem to place more emphasis on the velvet room culture. the spinoff games and media also adds a lot more about it every single time. maybe they even will be party members sometime in the future games, like in persona 5. just a possibility that persona users will no longer lose their powers or its very hard to acquire powers to select few, but through future generations may inherit the power through genetics

Sophia

sorry but i have no idea about that history, feel really lost

it got me thinking because of playing oreshika 2, the genetic passing down point

i think each persona numbered title seem to place more emphasis on the velvet room culture. the spinoff games and media also adds a lot more about it every single time. maybe they even will be party members sometime in the future games, like in persona 5. just a possibility that persona users will no longer lose their powers or its very hard to acquire powers to select few, but through future generations may inherit the power through genetics

Nich, I believe, was implying that you are seriously overthinking this. :p

GamingBird exceeds the norm.

i dont quite getting what you are saying but maybe i just overthought things too much. but we did learn more about velvet room culture as the persona main games and spinoff games slowly adds and builds more to the story. they have much more impact.

CorvoSol

do you guys think theo is sterile

This raises a number of interesting and significant questions.

1. What are the Velvet Room inhabitants? Theodore, in specific, claims to be an Avatar of Power. We won't go into the specifics of the nomenclature of these entities, but we will assume, for the sake of argument, that like all Gods, Demons, Angels, and other Personae in the series they are in some sense both supernatural and metaphysical.

2. Does a Supernatural, metaphysical entity need the power to procreate? We may assume that these Velvet Assistants, from Beladonna and Nameless onward, are all functionally human in most aspects. Elizabeth and Theodore both proved capable of coitus but-

3. How much of their biological processes are not a product of human thought? Consider that human belief, thought, conscious or otherwise, is what creates the attributes of the various entities in the series. One might then suppose that Elizabeth and Theodore are capable of sex because the protagonist subconsciously wills or desires it. There is a possibility of autonomous regulation of attributes through thought, since Teddie allegedly formed a body of his own, rather than simply because the heroes willed him to have one, unless, of course, the latter is the truth.

4. Do we take Persona 4 Golden The Animation into account? In which Marie is shown to have powers in no way relative to the common beliefs regarding Izanami? It would explain why the protagonists cannot easily overcome bosses by believing themselves stronger, unless one supposes that belief in their inevitable victory is precisely what allows the protagonists to triumph every game.

5. In the which case, does anybody in Persona 4 actually see the Truth? Considering that Persona 2 shows that reality is perfectly subjective and the entire world is a conscious construct of a band of teenagers who are willingly lying to themselves about the world, is there really any truth for Yu to see?

6. If there is a truth, how does it figure into the need for a supernatural being like Theodore to reproduce with mortal women? In what way has humankind's subconscious righteousness motivated Philemon and Igor to set up this tryst?

7.If Theo is in fact sterile, does that mean that Elizabeth, Margaret, Teddie, et al are also sterile? Or are these Shadows-Made-Human blank pages that are part of Philemon's ongoing quest to prove to Nyarlatothep that humanity is good by showing what mankind will do with blank slates of infinite potential?

8. In the which case, aren't they not too different from the Wild Card in a sense?

9. What sort of beings would an Avatar of Power spawn? Would they be fully human, or does Theo's genetic code contain the data for raw power?

10. Assuming that mankind's minds really do hold infinite sway over the laws of reality, doesn't this mean that the fundamental nature of all things is purely subjective? Therefore couldn't Labrys be simply made human if they spread the rumor far and wide that she was?

11. If Reality and Truth are such malleable forces, why in the Holy blue fuck do Persona 3 fanboys give so many shits about FeMC's canonicity?

This raises a number of interesting and significant questions.

3. How much of their biological processes are not a product of human thought? Consider that human belief, thought, conscious or otherwise, is what creates the attributes of the various entities in the series. One might then suppose that Elizabeth and Theodore are capable of sex because the protagonist subconsciously wills or desires it. There is a possibility of autonomous regulation of attributes through thought, since Teddie allegedly formed a body of his own, rather than simply because the heroes willed him to have one, unless, of course, the latter is the truth.

i guess nichM was too early in his raman history quote thing

by this logic, procreation is not an impossibility but a possibility... maybe then probability... therefore it is possible velvet room culture may expanding. there will be more persona users in persona universe/society

CorvoSol

i guess nichM was too early in his raman history quote thing

by this logic, procreation is not an impossibility but a possibility... maybe then probability... therefore it is possible velvet room culture may expanding. there will be more persona users in persona universe/society

Society is already full of Persona users. Play P2.

Meia

Waking up to the past 2-3 pages has made..... Interesting reading, shall we say.

Think people are in that pre-release frenzy!

TOMORROW.

The only thing that really bugs me about the release is that physical gets goodies, but not the digital goodies. You need to buy two copies of the game to get everything apparently. Meh. :\

Dantis

That's just speculation, though even if it's true, it's not as though Igor has a direct hand in one's awakening in any of the games. It's as LX_Theo said; one's awakening to their Persona was due to external factors past Persona 1 and Persona 2 (where a Persona was gained by literally playing a playground game and Philemon giving you one).

Actually, it isnt speculation. Soejima said it in one of the interviews. The P4 art book one, I believe.

more like quick shipping and custom fees :p

The truth burns. ;_;

It's all relative. Within the microcosm of NeoGAF (which enables and peddles all sorts of odd behaviour), this is outright sane!

I find it to be much more preferable to buying a game and not playing it.

I'd never do that.

No sir.

Not me.

arue

nothing. edited until I get a proper confirmation.

But US Ultimax tomorrow, guys! Who pre-ordered?
I pre-ordered it, but I'm not getting it until Thursday. I can't play it until the weekend anyways :(

I'm really excited for the tarot cards and the Teddie Bop Bag. Dat physical pre-order bonus.

MSMrRound

Pre-ordered, but still have absolutely no idea whether I'll be actually getting a R1 first print copy of the game, with tarot cards, bop bag etc (which I pre-ordered for), or wallow in despair over my store getting a R3 English copy of Ultimax from AtlusJP/PlaystationAsia instead, moping over the half-completed set of Persona tarot cards or something (when Persona Q gets released).

Who decided to split them anyway ;_;

Oh...the uncertainty of being a Asian Persona fan...in before Europe jokes

I pre ordered it too, but I will mainly be playing the game for the story. I ain't getting in the way of all of you champs online just to get rekt, no thanks LOL. Still pretty hyped for it, can't wait to see what the heck is going on with the story aha.

kewlmyc

Guess I can mention now that I'm currently doing a review for the game as well, school and work have got in the way of getting it up today though.

For Rely on Horror, or a different site?

Also I'm putting the Teddie bopper on one of my work desks so me and my coworkers can hit it when frustrated.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
If you're having Ultimax problems, I feel bad for you son,
I got waifu problems but a 236C ain't one!

...I'll show myself out.

AND YOU CAN ALL BLAME LEVIT0 FOR THIS

Rhapsody

Banned
The month wait from Japan to US for Ultimax sure flew by. I'll pick up a US copy later down the line.

In the mean time, I'll be waiting for PQ.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
So apparently the gamestop at my campus is releasing ultimax at midnight tonight. I'm torn, I commute and live about 40-50 minutes away. I can stick around campus for the next 8 hours no problem, but the long drive back and my long shift at work tomorrow morning makes this sound like a bad idea. WHAT DO I DO?

Tamanon

Banned
So apparently the gamestop at my campus is releasing ultimax at midnight tonight. I'm torn, I commute and live about 40-50 minutes away. I can stick around campus for the next 8 hours no problem, but the long drive back and my long shift at work tomorrow morning makes this sound like a bad idea. WHAT DO I DO?

I'm shocked. I assume there's another game coming out tomorrow to justify a midnight release? Shadows of Mordor is tomorrow also I think?

Rhapsody

Banned

I'd feel too burned out from the day to do that, haha.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
I'm shocked. I assume there's another game coming out tomorrow to justify a midnight release? Shadows of Mordor is tomorrow also I think?

That's what confused me. I'm going to call and ask the local gamestop next to my house if they're doing the same, it'll be funny if this is actually for a different, bigger game. I can be the one guy who shows up for fight games. It'll be like how I went to GTAV's launch for Wonderful 101 and a Wii U. A double shot of financial rot.

Rhapsody said:
I'd feel too burned out from the day to do that, haha.

Yeah I bet that I'd pretty much collapse once I get home.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
If you're having Ultimax problems, I feel bad for you son,
I got waifu problems but a 236C ain't one!

...I'll show myself out.

AND YOU CAN ALL BLAME LEVIT0 FOR THIS

The only Ultimax problem I am having is that it is not in my PS3 right now.

Hopefully by Thursday depending on when BB decides to ship it.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

I know that pain. You're all like:

tumblr_m0l0uqZsOZ1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Well, as a representative of ATLUS, I remind you that you should exercise good judgement and responsibility when making decisions that could jeopardize your employment, studies or personal safety.

Now keeping that in mind, if your job involves operating heavy machinery, being personally responsible for the lives of others (nurse, caretaker, etc.) or any thing that can bring injury, death, or serious loss to yourself or others, click here.

Barring that, and being able to accept any risks that showing up to work tired as balls might bring, click here.

PK Gaming

Ultimax got a 9/10 on Dtoid. Whoop whoop!

Guess I can mention now that I'm currently doing a review for the game as well, school and work have got in the way of getting it up today though.

That's awesome!!

I don't usually care about review scores, but Ultimax definitely that deserves that kind of score. There's just so much content, and it's a ton of fun.

Destructoid said:
Aside from Rise and the trio of new P3 characters, the most notable addition is newcomer Sho Minazuki. Sho is the game's antagonist and comes in two forms, one of which doesn't have a Persona. To make up for that shortcoming, he's incredibly fast and powerful -- maybe a little too fast and powerful. Time will tell if that is the case.

hqdefault.jpg

Jr. I have something difficult to tell you about Mama Ultimax...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I know that pain. You're all like:

tumblr_m0l0uqZsOZ1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Well, as a representative of ATLUS, I remind you that you should exercise good judgement and responsibility when making decisions that could jeopardize your employment, studies or personal safety.

Now keeping that in mind, if your job involves operating heavy machinery, being personally responsible for the lives of others (nurse, caretaker, etc.) or any thing that can bring injury, death, or serious loss to yourself or others, click here.

Barring that, and being able to accept any risks that showing up to work tired as balls might bring, click here.

Surf Ninjas?

Oh lord.

Last one is a younger me.

Setsu00

There are exactly four stores at my campus, namely two bookshops, a corner store and for some bizarre reason, a travel agency. I would love to trade one the corner store with your Gamestop...

Firestar

Wasn't sure how I felt about the Teddie bop bag pre-order bonus going in. However, after getting it and inflating it I have decided it is the best pre-order bonus I have ever gotten.

Top Bottom