• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

I am finally playing my second Persona game with P3:FES. While the combat is a bit of a come down from P4G, I'm really liking the darker story and atmosphere so far.

Should I play P3P afterwards or just move straight to P4A?

Play P3P only if you want to do the female MC route. Otherwise go to P2: Innocent Sin. Innocent Sin has an amazing, fast-paced story. The gameplay is a little dated and the encounter rate is insane, but IMO it's the easiest of all the Persona games so it's pretty easy to run through enemies.

I am finally playing my second Persona game with P3:FES. While the combat is a bit of a come down from P4G, I'm really liking the darker story and atmosphere so far.

Should I play P3P afterwards or just move straight to P4A?

Did you finish The Answer too? Because the story of The Answer has a big impact on Arena. You might want to play/watch that first. P3P is cool, but mostly just a different perspective on stuff you've already played.

Also, for the Canadians, we should have a mini-Ultimax tournament for fun to decide who's the most skilled Canuck! (I say this confidently, despite being absolutely dreadful at fighting games)

Mdesilva

Speaking of tournaments…

Who would be interested in a P4AU netplay tournament? Free entry, it'll be streamed, maybe I'll try to get commentary, and maybe prizes? None of this is worked out yet but I have a streamer at least. Anyone can enter, just make sure your connection isn't, well, shit.

Ultimax has arrived and I like whomever packaged my...game...?

Right-side up...
78D30436-1439-47FA-A5C8-887EDAA12653_zpshbgw5t65.jpg

826C5BD8-457C-4F46-A5C2-D2627897BF29_zpsjek8omkr.jpg

...Nah

I know this isn't the SMT thread and everyone is hyped up over P4AU (as am I), but I just got Soul Hackers a few days back and it's the first non-Persona SMT game to really catch my attention. I have Nocturne and DeSu: Overclocked but neither have really grabbed me. I'm about 2-ish hours in and loving the Soul Hackers story.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of tournaments…

Who would be interested in a P4AU netplay tournament? Free entry, it'll be streamed, maybe I'll try to get commentary, and maybe prizes? None of this is worked out yet but I have a streamer at least. Anyone can enter, just make sure your connection isn't, well, shit.

As long as it was properly organized and overseen, sure. I've organized multiple P4A online events in the past, and they've gone pretty smoothly because I was on the ball when it came to managing deadlines and straight up DQing people, but then I see some that are just a total mess, where everyone is confused, including the TOs.

Tips: Lobby mode makes it easy for players to meet each other in a short period of time and get their matches done quickly and efficiently, if the format of the tournament allows it. It's handier for players to submit their own results via Challonge than to have to report it to the TOs each time.

Tangentially: There should be the second edition of Exciting GAF Air Dashers taking place some time after Guilty Gear Xrd is released.

Speaking of tournaments…

I'd be interested! I could live up to my username that way, haha. It would be fun though.

Also, for the Canadians, we should have a mini-Ultimax tournament for fun to decide who's the most skilled Canuck! (I say this confidently, despite being absolutely dreadful at fighting games)

I'm actually attending a tournament this Sunday in Toronto, and I think it'd be awesome if we held a CanadaPGAF Shodown sometime!

That is, if you're comfortable with Flux, the resident Arena champ, wiping the floor with everyone :p

Speaking of tournaments…

I would definitely be interested in participating and/or commentary. Sounds like it'd be a blast!

abrack08

Speaking of tournaments…

I'd be down (to probably get manhandled by some of you, my Junpei is pretty bad but I'm sticking with him)

So should I fuse Orpheus and Pixie to make Apsaras or should I be waiting till I have a lot of persona to start fusing? Also is there any way to check what a spell/skill is? No idea what a bufu or a dia is :|

MSMrRound

So should I fuse Orpheus and Pixie to make Apsaras or should I be waiting till I have a lot of persona to start fusing? Also is there any way to check what a spell/skill is? No idea what a bufu or a dia is :|

Primary level:

Dia= heal spells
Bufu=Ice
Agi=Fire
Garu=Wind
Zio=Lightning

some other spells are considered buff spells.

Add a "Me" or a "Ma" in front of them and they become a AOE spell e.g Media=lowest level AOE heal spell (heal around same as Dia spells, just that you heal everyone at once)
Mabufu=AOE Ice spell of normal "Bufu" strength.

Diarama
Bufula, Garula etc are mid-level spells e.g Mediarama=mid level AOE healing.

(element)dyne spells are considered some of the best, though there are higher damaging spells available as well as you progress.

Sophia

Yeah there should be a way to check in the status screen for a Persona. I think it's a bit oddly placed in the original Persona 3 tho.

Here's a basic cheat sheet however:

Agi = Fire damage spell
Zio = Eletrcitiy damage spell
Bufu = Ice damage spell
Garu = Wind damage spell
Dia = Healing spell

Ma or Me prefix = spell hits all targets instead of a single target.

And here's a full cheat sheet. A list of every skill in the game.

Okay thanks for the info

I guess another question is how do I best make use of after school time? Not in a crazy min/max way (won't worry about that on my first play though) but everything I try to do warns me I'll be there till dark when I haven't seen any of the characters to social link with. Do weekends give more time to hang out with people while week days are better used at shops and the arcades to increase your stats and buy supplies?

Also I should be exploring Tartaraus every night correct? Or are there night only events that I have to do instead of the dark hour dungeon crawl?

Meia

Okay thanks for the info

I guess another question is how do I best make use of after school time? Not in a crazy min/max way (won't worry about that on my first play though) but everything I try to do warns me I'll be there till dark when I haven't seen any of the characters to social link with. Do weekends give more time to hang out with people while week days are better used at shops and the arcades to increase your stats and buy supplies?

Also I should be exploring Tartaraus every night correct? Or are there night only events that I have to do instead of the dark hour dungeon crawl?

There's less to do at night in FES than in P3P, as there are more slinks at night. In FES there are two, but the 3k yen arcade game gives you the best boost in a stat depending on which night of the week you do it.

In terms of sleeping, you lose Knowledge, but go up a status level. It's not a bad idea to do it before you go into Tartarus as you do more damage under Great, have a higher crit rate(I think), and can just in general stay in there longer as you have to get knocked down to Good before you start becoming Tired. HOWEVER, once a day you can use a bathroom for a chance to go up a status level as well.

In general, you don't *need* to go into Tartarus more than once or twice a month before you hit a barrier if you're begin efficient in there, so just play things by ear I guess. So long as you can hit the barrier before the next full moon, you should be able to handle anything that happens.

Time management you should mostly spend your days with a social link, while at night you level up your stats in the arcade games in the mall. The one addition to think is to stay in Tartarus until you get Tired, save before you leave so you don't get better, then see the nurse for a boost of courage. You can get up to 4 boosts of courage this way if you're lucky enough(Tired, Tired, Sick, Sick, auto better).

Speaking of tournaments…

Count me in

Ultimax has arrived and I like whomever packaged my...game...?

Right-side up...
78D30436-1439-47FA-A5C8-887EDAA12653_zpshbgw5t65.jpg

826C5BD8-457C-4F46-A5C2-D2627897BF29_zpsjek8omkr.jpg

...Nah

Same thing happened with mine. Weird

redhairedking

I just got my copy of Ultimax and have played for about an hour and a half or so. I'm really liking the changes to Yu and Rise seems pretty cool, though I suck with her right now. Still waiting on that DLC to go up on the US store. If there are any other scrubs in this thread let me know, it'll be good to play with someone on my level.

MSMrRound

If there are any other scrubs in this thread let me know, it'll be good to play with someone on my level.

Beginners level?

Hit me up. I get demolished easily and can use the practice.

PSN: MSMrRound.

Will come around to getting Ultimax either today...or in a couple of days when my retailers finally have it in stock.

My party is a bunch of punks they're all wiped after only 2 floors, I assume each time my party recovers from being tired their stamina will go up so I can get farther in the tower?

Meia

My party is a bunch of punks they're all wiped after only 2 floors, I assume each time my party recovers from being tired their stamina will go up so I can get farther in the tower?

Not really sure how it works, if it's either by character level, or just the more flows they go up thing, but yeah, you eventually can fight more and more later. Which is good, because the floors you need to clear to go up to the next barricade increase as well. :D

Thanks guys, time just flew right by, this is an amazing country, opportunities are handed to you unlike where I am from.

I am from Portugal, we have a pretty big community here, in Toronto at least which was specially nice in the beginning when I was still adjusting. But I actually like how diverse this country is in terms of ethnicity, I have friends from all kinds of countries and backgrounds, I've learned lots here thanks to them.

I see. I don't live downtown, but I live within an about 30min to hour long drive from Toronto (though technically I'm not living there right now because I'm in university). Nice to hear that things are going well for you.

I'm actually attending a tournament this Sunday in Toronto, and I think it'd be awesome if we held a CanadaPGAF Shodown sometime!

Ah, I'm in Alberta. Good luck in the tournament though, and if you don't expect success, I hope it's fun!

That is, if you're comfortable with Flux, the resident Arena champ, wiping the floor with everyone :p

Good player's are always fun to watch, even if they are perfecting you consistently, haha.

Never, the show has been cancelled and I'm working on an off shore oil rig till retirement.

EDIT: Probably Thursday:p

I'm truly thankful for this edit, can't wait to listen to Nich and everybody. I have a general S. Link question though, what all is involved in production between the recording and releasing the actual episode?

redhairedking

Beginners level?

Will come around to getting Ultimax either today...or in a couple of days when my retailers finally have it in stock.

I'm fairly certain we're already friends, or at least we were at one point. Your name is super familiar. I'm
CardboardCannon
. Send me a message either on here or on PSN when you get the game and we can get some matches in.

Levito

Banned
I have a general S. Link question though, what all is involved in production between the recording and releasing the actual episode?

-Record skype call
-Take MP3 skype recording, import to Sony Vegas
-Edit it to improve pacing, mix audio channels, and add music etc(This is the longest part)
-Pace around for an hour trying to come up with an Episode title
-ID3 tag it so it shows up properly in itunes/players properly
-Trueself uploads the title card
-Upload actual epsiode .mp3 to slinkfm.com
-Write up show post/episode description
-Submit episode
-make sure the RSS is working/syncing onto the itunes store
-Link to episode on twitter, GAF, and r/Megaten
-Hope people like it and don't hate my face

Teknoman

I'm really thinking about grabbing P3FES (not sure why I didnt long ago), but im not sure if I want to try and track down the one that came with the soundtrack and art book...or was there one that was similar to Persona 3's original release?

Also from the Ultimax thread: PSN - TeknomanEX.

I want to learn Akihiko, Junpei, Yu, and Yosuke, but remembering all those nuances is gonna be kinda tough.

I see. I don't live downtown, but I live within an about 30min to hour long drive from Toronto (though technically I'm not living there right now because I'm in university). Nice to hear that things are going well for you.

Yeah I wish I could move to my campus. I go to York, which let's be frank, if you live downtown is in the middle of buttfucks nowhere lol... Takes me around an hour to get there in the morning, and 1:30-2 to come back, depends on traffic. Every. Single. Day.

That aside, I'm having a ton of fun and enjoying the story of P4AU so far. It's great to see the characters back in their former glory, after the disaster that P4GA was lol.

-Record skype call
-Take MP3 skype recording, import to Sony Vegas
-Edit it to improve pacing, mix audio channels, and add music etc(This is the longest part)
-Pace around for an hour trying to come up with an Episode title
-ID3 tag it so it shows up properly in itunes/players properly
-Trueself uploads the title card
-Upload actual epsiode .mp3 to slinkfm.com
-Write up show post/episode description
-Submit episode
-make sure the RSS is working/syncing onto the itunes store
-Link to episode on twitter, GAF, and r/Megaten
-Hope people like it and don't hate my face

I really like your process, haha. Seriously though, thanks for the answer! Always appreciate the work you and everyone else at S. Link does.

cj_iwakura

I know this isn't the SMT thread and everyone is hyped up over P4AU (as am I), but I just got Soul Hackers a few days back and it's the first non-Persona SMT game to really catch my attention. I have Nocturne and DeSu: Overclocked but neither have really grabbed me. I'm about 2-ish hours in and loving the Soul Hackers story.

It's among the best ever. Hope you enjoy it.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I just got my copy of Ultimax and have played for about an hour and a half or so. I'm really liking the changes to Yu and Rise seems pretty cool, though I suck with her right now. Still waiting on that DLC to go up on the US store. If there are any other scrubs in this thread let me know, it'll be good to play with someone on my level.

Beginners level?

Feel free to add me gang, the more the merrier :)

PSN: RedGraveXIII

I've only been playing fighting games for like 3 months or so.

I want to learn Akihiko, Junpei, Yu, and Yosuke, but remembering all those nuances is gonna be kinda tought.

Akihiko's really fun to play, super manly as well. Punch everything 24/7

Top Bottom