• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Silky

Banned
Forgot how quick the opening/introductory segments was in Persona 3. :eek:

I got this coupon code from GS for $5 off a purchase. gonna see if I can get up there tomorrow and pick up a PSN credit dealy so I can grab Persona 4.

Squire

Banned
Holy shit

When I first heard Zidane's voice, I felt like weeping. I'm not a Bryce hater (ok, maybe a little) but his Zidane voice is incredibly off putting. It just sounds so off.

It's so bad.

I though he was 10 or something. How old is he?

He's 16, but part of the character is he's sort of worldly from having been to a lot of places (in contrast to a very sheltered princess, to a great effect.) You could repeatedly forget how young he actually is.

That game is up there with P4 for me, personally.

Nimby

Banned
He's 16, but part of the character is he's sort of worldly from having been to a lot of places (in contrast to a very sheltered princess, to a great effect.) You could repeatedly forget how young he actually is.

Love this game, favorite game from the PS1 era.

Swedesu

It's so bad.

I actually finished the game for the first time yesterday, and I can only agree with you. Zidane might just be one of the most likeable protagonists of any game I've ever played, not to mention Steiner, Vivi and Garnet.

Such a charming game and quite like P3 in some ways.

So, I noticed a small thing whilst watching some Ultimax footage.

If shadow Chie wins a match, her win pose where she stomps on the opponent adds an extra hit to the combo

Tiny, insignificant things like this make me appreciate developers a bit more.

PS.
FF9 is OK, don't understand why its revered as the best in the series by many though.

I think it has the best cast of characters from any FF I have played. Wish FFXII got an HD remaster, that's the one I wanna play the most.

I only liked Freya, Amarant and Beatrix. I thought the character designs for a lot of them were pretty bad, and the characters themselves were even worse.

I liked the game overall, just not as much as others in the series.

Welcome to PersonaGaf, where we talk about Danganronpa, Jojo and Final Fantasy.
I know I'm not helping

PK Gaming

Yuuuup, you wont regret it.

So to bring us back to Persona...

Who are y'all going to main in Ultimax?

Aside from him, i'm definitely looking to pick up Yosuke, Chie and Minazuki. I'll try to learn how to play [Redacted], Rise, Ken and Yukari on a basic level.

I'm probably sticking with Chie, shadow or normal, but might try PerShona, Junpei or Marie.

I'm most likely sticking with Narukami, but I'm going to check out Sho, Ken or [REDACTED] since they seem like they are fun to play.

Nimby

Banned
Am I the only one who finds the shadow characters unappealing?

I would find them a lot more appealing if they wore their actual costumes. I don't think that's a very realistic demand though. I've always wanted to play a 2D-drawn fighter with muliple costumes instead of palette swaps.

hao chi

I'm probably sticking with Chie, shadow or normal, but might try PerShona, Junpei or Marie.

I'll almost definitely main one of the new characters. Makoto gets priority if he's in and I like his playstyle, followed by Rise. If I don't main either of them, I'll just try out all the new characters to see if there's anyone else that I want to main.

Only new characters that don't seem interesting at all to me or Sho and to a lesser degree PerShona.

I'll keep Yukiko as a sub, but I really don't want to main her again. I only use her in Arena because nobody else really felt appealing to learn for me.

Probably stick with Yu, and try Yukari and Ken.

Am I the only one who finds the shadow characters unappealing?

I think their special mechanic is kind of lazily applied. They shouldn't have done a one-size-fits-all approach to them. For instance, Shadow Aigis is supposedly awful because her supers don't chain easily, but Shadow Chie is great. They should have individually tweaked each Shadow character.

Andrefpvs

So, I noticed a small thing whilst watching some Ultimax footage.

If shadow Chie wins a match, her win pose where she stomps on the opponent adds an extra hit to the combo

Tiny, insignificant things like this make me appreciate developers a bit more.

This is really cool. I'm one of those people that keeps beating up the opponent even after they're KO'd in fighting games, so I like this :p

FluxWaveZ

Tomomi Isomura with the topical tweets:
Bs6yrltCYAEY5ML.jpg
(it's related to Persora, but still)

Still can't get over how much of a weird way they chose to reveal the last character, if she is. An A5 clear file? Why modify the art before her reveal just for that? No one would have cared if Marie wasn't on it, right? So having a "complete version" seems... I dunno, kind of unnecessary, especially if it overrides their normal hype cycle surrounding a character reveal.

Just seems really weird.

I think their special mechanic is kind of lazily applied. They shouldn't have done a one-size-fits-all approach to them. For instance, Shadow Aigis is supposedly awful because her supers don't chain easily, but Shadow Chie is great. They should have individually tweaked each Shadow character.

But Shadows aren't all about Shadow Frenzy. Their 2k+ health, their ridiculous meter gain, the fact that they can use Awakening supers whenever they want and their meter carrying over between rounds are all very important elements, which each Shadow will be able to benefit from.

I main Naoto in Arena, but who knows. Rise looks really fun to play, and I also want to check out the other new characters, specially [Redacted], Sho and Minazuki. And we still haven't seen any footage of Marie or Margaret. The only character that don't find appealing is Ken, mostly because I don't like puppet characters. Then again, who knows, I still haven't played the game, so maybe when I use him I end up loving his playstyle.

FluxWaveZ

Ultimax

Makoto = Kagura from Blazblue.(He's unlocked after you complete the story :p)

I would have loved to be able to have a definitive take on the matter after Margaret was shown since, right at this moment, I really don't care whether the dude is playable or not given the amount of new characters we got, but it just nags at me.

Margaret means the DLC card thing for 37 of them has been solved. It means that symmetry for the potential final character select screen, if it has the same layout as the current one, would be maintained. Still... there's the possibility that they wouldn't want to put who would be their most important new character reveal on a simple DLC card people would see immediately before even starting the game. The Margaret reveal, even considering how close it was to Marie's who was shown less than a week ago, just seems odd to me, too.

They might want to give people a suitable incentive to play through the story mode, too, which Wada said they put a ton of time and thought into.

Mdesilva

I'm sticking with Chie, but will split main her with Yukari. My sub is currently Mitsuru, but idk if that'll be the case in Ultimax with me playing two characters.

I'll also learn Shadow Chie for fun, as that'll take all of an hour or two to figure out in training mode.

Still can't get over how much of a weird way they chose to reveal the last character, if she is. An A5 clear file? Why modify the art before her reveal just for that? No one would have cared if Marie wasn't on it, right? So having a "complete version" seems... I dunno, kind of unnecessary, especially if it overrides their normal hype cycle surrounding a character reveal.

Just seems really weird.

I HATE leaks. They may let you know something a bit early, but they take a lot out of big, fun reveals. I don't think anything good ever comes out of them other than instant gratification.

Rhapsody

Banned

Rise and Yu. I was excited to use her, and when I did everything just clicked.

I'm not the greatest at fighting games so even though I would main either Yukari or one of the Shu's, I'm probably going to end up just using the easiest one of them all.

I suck at many fighting games. Especially ones that rely on combos to win competitively.

But if I had to pick...probably Margret or Yu. Or Yukiko.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I do as well, I was planning on playing more this summer to become at least passably good before P4AU but just haven't really done it.

Heh, that was my plan as well, along with potentially trying to find a new main. Got sidetracked :p

I'm really excited for P4U's story, more so than PQ's actually.

Since we're giving out Twitter usernames, mine's @darkside989.

Also, very cool if Margaret ends up being in Ultimax! The number of remaining viable characters is dwindling at this point, I wonder if there will be anymore before (or after) the game releases...

FluxWaveZ

The number of remaining viable characters is dwindling at this point, I wonder if there will be anymore before (or after) the game releases...

They could pull off a Celica and Lambda-11 but, yeah, who would they be? The only ones I thought would be potential last characters last week were: Theodore, Margaret, Makoto and the Malevolent Entity. Now my list's down to three, and the latter two seem far too important to be DLC characters announced for an update at a much later date, leaving only Theodore. It's interesting.

Hm, thinking of Celica, I wonder if they could somehow make Fuuka work.

Atlus. Do it.

We can hope.

I would have loved to be able to have a definitive take on the matter after Margaret was shown since, right at this moment, I really don't care whether the dude is playable or not given the amount of new characters we got, but it just nags at me.

Margaret means the DLC card thing for 37 of them has been solved. It means that symmetry for the potential final character select screen, if it has the same layout as the current one, would be maintained. Still... there's the possibility that they wouldn't want to put who would be their most important new character reveal on a simple DLC card people would see immediately before even starting the game. The Margaret reveal, even considering how close it was to Marie's who was shown less than a week ago, just seems odd to me, too.

They might want to give people a suitable incentive to play through the story mode, too, which Wada said they put a ton of time and thought into.

Yeah, i agree on all of these points. All characters at this point are a bonus for me. . I personally think Makoto needs to be in this game. If this is the last entry, you might aswell go out with a bang.

We still got a month left, so anything is possible. Until Atlus says this is the final roster (DLC included) then i still think there's a good chance Makoto will show up.

Only time will tell i guess. Something does seem odd though.

Something does seem odd though.
Yeah, the first two DLC characters were well kept secrets that surprised us when Famitsu announced them, and then Margaret gets leaked like this...? Wonder why.

I still stand by my original thought that if Makoto were in the game, he won't be announced until after the game's release. Give people time to play the story.

FluxWaveZ

I'd love it if this actually happens; it makes beating the game worth it. Wouldn't it be a spoiler for people who jump straight into the lobby without beating the story though?

People would find it out through all sorts of ways. On day 1, people would be going through the game's files and find all of the character's sprites, where others would then learn about it as well. Still, that's how it is for any secret like that, and it would be the most surprising way to pull off a character reveal.

Still...

They could pull off a Celica and Lambda-11 but, yeah, who would they be? The only ones I thought would be potential last characters last week were: Theodore, Margaret, Makoto and the Malevolent Entity. Now my list's down to three, and the latter two seem far too important to be DLC characters announced for an update at a much later date, leaving only Theodore. It's interesting.

Hm, thinking of Celica, I wonder if they could somehow make Fuuka work.

See I thought about that same thing earlier today...

Plj7ZIe.jpg

Rocksxp

Neo Member
This DLC batch is obviously P4 characters only. If Marie didn’t get in another P4 character would have. If you want Makoto Yuki in so bad just ask for a P3 DLC batch.

Ultimax

Makoto = Kagura from Blazblue.(He's unlocked after you complete the story :p)
They would have to add 3 more random slots if they were to stretch the screen just for him.
Add in the the random slots that are there if you don't buy the DLC and you have 6 random slots. I just don't think that a likely scenario.

Theodork
BELIEVE

i still think it makes most sense to reveal Makoto prior to the game being release. Just throw up a pic of Makoto and Yu going at it. The entire fanbase would go crazy, and most would then certainly purchase ultimax. "Free hype marketing" :)

FluxWaveZ

See I thought about that same thing earlier today...

Amazing.

They would have to add 3 more random slots if they were to stretch the screen just for him.
Add in the the random slots that are there if you don't buy the DLC and you have 6 random slots. I just don't think that a likely scenario.

I don't know about that, if we're theorizing with the character select screen layout...
Currently, we know who's under Yu. But if that character were to change locations and if we don't re-arrange any of the characters on the screen at all, they'd just stretch the width for the four TV screens on the outer edges (which is how Rise and Ken were added), getting something like: Margaret and [Redacted] at the top left and top right, with Marie and Makoto being added to the bottom row, resulting in 3 random icons for the start, middle, and end of the character select screen.

If it's only Marie and Margaret, the width will be extended for two slots, which would work out, but the symmetry would still be messed with a bit because there would no longer be an equal number of characters going away and from the middle column where Yu is.

i still think it makes most sense to reveal Makoto prior to the game being release. Just throw up a pic of Makoto and Yu going at it. The entire fanbase would go crazy, and most would then certainly purchase ultimax. "Free hype marketing" :)

That's what I thought would be the most logical, but who knows at this point; no one would have guessed that Margaret would be shown from the P4AU tour A5 clear file. I'm interested in finding out when we'll know more about Margaret. If Marie's trailer is this week (potentially shown during this week's PSC), and she mentions Margaret even once during it, I think that could be interesting.

It'd be hilarious if last Tuesday was a Famitsu article on Marie, and this Tuesday's was for Margaret.

I'll be sticking with Yosuke, especially since he got a buff. The Yosuke army will be real in Ultimax and it scares me. Of course the Messiah would get preference if they are in.

Isn't there a dedicated random button on the controller? Wouldn't that mean Marie and Margaret would just go on the left and right random slots? That seems the most likely thing to me. Unless I'm wrong.

Top Bottom