• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Levito

Banned
Aight Pan, scrafty, rocker & others. I'll keep it all in mind.

Need to do some further planning, chairty stream marathons are a lot of work to put together/run. Should be fun though!

PK Gaming

Well, yeah. >_____________>

And I felt bad even making him go through the bet in the first place (I agreed with his betting position) so I shortened his month-long bet until just before Smash comes out.

Kuzuryuu_%284%29.png

Why the fuck did you do that?!? HUH?

DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT AN AVATAR BET IS ABOUT?

Maybe it's just me, but I found that Mitsuru x Rise interaction was more relevant. At least I remember more clearly Rise scolding Mitsuru like no one ever did before. lol
Yeah, I don't really recall much Mitsuru and Yukiko interaction, but I do remember stuff like this.

Also, having just heard it, the Yukari win quote vs. Elizabeth is interesting. She almost sounds angry that Liz has the Persona she does at first, and then goes "Ah... never mind."
Hmm, I don't really remember Arena's story that much by now but the friendships I always saw in my eyes formed were YosukexAigis, ChiexAkihiko and YukikoxMitsuru.

It must feel really bad for Yukari to see another person getting that kind of Persona. :(

Hmm, I don't really remember Arena's story that much by now but the friendships I always saw in my eyes formed were YosukexAigis, ChiexAkihiko and YukikoxMitsuru.

It must feel really bad for Yukari to see another persona getting that kind of Persona. :(

The past is never going to leave that poor girl alone. No matter how much she tries.

It must feel really bad for Yukari to see another person getting that kind of Persona. :(

I think YosukexLabrys was the most proeminent relationship imo. xD

And yeah, ChiexAkihiko was also really evident.

Speaking of Liz's persona.. in P4A did she met anyone from P3? I remember her fighting Yu..

The past is never going to leave that poor girl alone. No matter how much she tries.
-insert sad Yukari sprite here-
I think YosukexLabrys was the most proeminent relationship imo. xD

And yeah, ChiexAkihiko was also really evident.

Speaking of Liz's persona.. in P4A did she met anyone from P3? I remember her fighting Yu..
Yeah I agree with that, but what I meant is a friendship between certain character from P3 with another one from P4. Like, Yosuke promises to have a party with Aigis and Chie now refers to Akihiko as "Master". To be fair I don't remember anything from Mitsuru and Yukiko. lol

She battles Aigis and both remember each other (but Aigis doesn't remember her name until after she's gone).

-insert sad Yukari sprite here-

Yeah I agree with that, but what I meant is a friendship between certain character from P3 with another one from P4. Like, Yosuke promises to have a party with Aigis and Chie now refers to Akihiko as "Master".

I'd like to see theIr relationship improving. Yeah, I'm still too attached with this whole P3/P4 crew. Ok, I just played Persona for the first time in 2012 so I understand people wanting to move on. But I just hope Atlus continues to use the characters in some "spin-off" titles (I'm really glad that P4AU and PQ are happening). P1/P2 characters are also welcome.

Finished the P4 side of the ultimax story. I really enjoyed it. The final battle was a bit mediocre, but overall, It was a very solid adventure, especially for a fighting game.

Great job Atlus.

Hopefully, ill get around to the P3 story over the weekend.

I'd like to see theIr relationship improving. Yeah, I'm still too attached with this whole P3/P4 crew. Ok, I just played Persona for the first time in 2012 so I understand people wanting to move on. But I just hope Atlus continues to use the characters in some "spin-off" titles (I'm really glad that P4AU and PQ are happening). P1/P2 characters are also welcome.
At this point, I just want PQ to become integral to the storyline,
cause that game looks like it'll impress me a lot more than ultimax.

Same for me! I played these Persona games for the first time in 2013 so I'm by all means not tired of any of those characters and would welcome more spin-offs
as long they're in 3DS or PS3.
. I'm also secretly hoping for a PQ with P1 and P2 characters.

Same for me! I played these Persona games for the first time in 2013 so I'm by all means not tired of any of those characters and would welcome more spin-offs
as long they're in 3DS or PS3.
. I'm also secretly hoping for a PQ with P1 and P2 characters.

Yeah, the game looks really funny. Those moments when the characters interact with each other are pure gold. That's what make the franchise so special for me. As Aigis-san inspired me: "You don't have to save the world to find meaning in a game... Sometimes, all you need is something simple, like some characters to hang around."

:(

Mitsuru and Yukiko's interaction was short and didn't amount to much. It would probably better to say that Mitsuru and Naoto was the more prominent interaction in the story.

Well, I admit I kind of spoiled myself for the majority of PQ. I won't post exactly what it is, and even then I dont think it affects the plot of either PQ or P3/P4 in any real way but SPOILERS-ish (as a fan theory)
there is a theory that it might actually relate to P4A, though not really affecting the plot. I don't think the two groups meeting each other even counts as plot related considering that they have no sign of acknowledging each other in Arena (or there could be some reference that I don't remember, I'm not sure). Of course it's just a theory, so it could all be wrong anyways

Is it ok if someone who spoiled themselves on PQ and has more experience in the thread can check to see if this counts as a PQ spoiler? If so I can remove it. (I think Sophia may fit the criteria :p jk)

Well, I admit I kind of spoiled myself for the majority of PQ. I won't post exactly what it is, and even then I dont think it affects the plot of either PQ or P3/P4 in any real way but SPOILERS-ish (as a fan theory)
there is a theory that it might actually relate to P4A, though not really affecting the plot. I don't think the two groups meeting each other even counts as plot related considering that they have no sign of acknowledging each other in Arena (or there could be some reference that I don't remember, I'm not sure). Of course it's just a theory, so it could all be wrong anyways

Is it ok if someone who spoiled themselves on PQ and has more experience in the thread can check to see if this counts as a PQ spoiler? If so I can remove it. (I think Sophia may fit the criteria :p jk)

Pretty sure I know what you're talking about.
And I doubt Ultimax will bring it up, unless there's a serious easter egg in one of the backgrounds, if you catch my drift...
Even ignoring PQ, though,
Elizabeth's quest is still underway. Having it continued away from the P3 cast just wouldn't sit right with me...

Pretty sure I know what you're talking about.
And I doubt Ultimax will bring it up, unless there's a serious easter egg in one of the backgrounds, if you catch my drift...
Even ignoring PQ, though,
Elizabeth's quest is still underway. Having it continued away from the P3 cast just wouldn't sit right with me...

True. I wonder what will happen with
Elizabeth. In the original P4A she said she would go on her task and acquired the wild card ability, but I don't know what it'll build up to. Maybe he'll be back, or his soul will be released from his duty. Only time will tell I guess.

Sophia

It doesn't. You're edging pretty close to spoiler territory tho.

Now lets talk about the many reasons why Persona Q will be the best Persona game ever! :p

It doesn't. You're edging pretty close to spoiler territory tho.

Now lets talk about the many reasons why Persona Q will be the best Persona game ever! :p

Ok thanks. Just that you came to mind first because from my time as a lurker you happened to enforce rules with respect to spoilers, arguments, and the like. Plus I remember you said you spoiled yourself for the plot.

I think the interactions between the member of the cast already makes the game pretty good. Wish I could find more, but I only found a few translations of scenes from a guy on Tumblr. In terms of gameplay, I looked at the movesets and abilities of the cast, and some seem much better than others, especially in endgame when trying to make the 'best' team. (ex: Naoto has superior resistances to many in the cast due to lacking a weakness and having two resistances, and Yu has one weakness but one resistance and one null. Then there are characters like Makoto with 2 weaknesses and no resistances. P3/P4
But then both MCs have generally better resistances with evolved personas I guess. But then Naoto's null dark and light is superior to Ken's null light and weak against darkness when evolved :/
)

The sub-persona mechanic somewhat alleviates the problem of having too many characters with similar abilities, so as they said, you have more choice to just pick characters you like. However, I think that some problems may still exist, because I think that the sub-personas only buff hp and sp and give skills, but they don't have inherent stats or resistances. So that would mean Kanji would never be a good magic user, and a team with MC, junpei, kanji, shinji, and chie may never be really good with magic outside of MC. I also don't like the idea of sub-personas not inherently blocking, repelling, or absorbing elements on their own, because I think that would mean a character using a Thor persona could be killed by zio spells. A team of Makoto, Yosuke, Yukari, Aigis, and Teddie would get destroyed pretty easily by zio (I would prefer that you can get rid of their weakness by using a sub-persona that resists electric, but that might be OP). Also the MC seems less special because it was a power unique to them, but that's just me nitpicking.

On the plus side, your allies are more helpful now, and you could pull off better team synergy combos (if they exist) or have a bunch of team members using OP attacks like Hassou Tobi rather than just MC. But then there are more than 3x characters total compared to spots in your party, and I don't think EXP is shared, so I think you would have to choose a main group ahead of time and stick with them unless you want to re-grind everyone else.

Sorry if there are mistakes in there, as I haven't actually played myself, just watched some gameplay and read up on some of the mechanics.

Edit: Not saying that the game is bad, I think it's going to be really good. Also not saying that it should be effective gameplay-wise to run around with characters with very similar focuses (ex: all physical, no magic or support) or to use characters with all the same weaknesses. Just that if they truly wanted to make it so you could win with any team and choose characters purely based off of who you like, then they could have changed some things to make it more equal, though admittedly it would probably make the game really easy. But then if you really only wanted interactions you could just play on the easiest difficulty.

PQ spoilers (jk, but thought these were good. Also as an aside, maybe it's because this is the first forum I really ever went on, but why can't we directly upload pictures from the computer)
tumblr_ncuqkiMVfx1tkzw5uo1_500.png

tumblr_ncuqkiMVfx1tkzw5uo2_500.png

Meia

I still think PQ was really the one that's meant as a final farewell to both casts(well, still P4D, but still). You come up with an asspull way to have both casts interact in the prime of their youths, and while still undergoing both of their adventures(even if they took place years apart), and just have them interact with each other in fun ways in a school festival. As such, I'm really looking forward to it, even if I'm expecting some suckerpunches from the story.

FluxWaveZ

I don't see either games as farewells for P3 or P4; more like celebrations in honor of those games. Same with P4D, in its own way.

P4AU is a kind of farewell to P3 in a narrative sense, but who knows if they'll return in some form, in the future.

PK Gaming

I don't see either games as farewells for P3 or P4; more like celebrations in honor of those games. Same with P4D, in its own way.

P4AU is a kind of farewell to P3 in a narrative sense, but who knows if they'll return in some form, in the future.

P4AU spoilers

There was a nice finality to the P4 narrative as well. The investigation team had finally been disbanded, and everyone decided to pursue their own futures. Yu went back to the city, Yosuke decided to get serious and study for college, Yukiko plans on leaving Inaba to train, Naoto and Rise leave the town to pursue their respective careers. Adachi's back in prison.

And yet... all of that gets thrown under the bus for P4D.

I still think PQ was really the one that's meant as a final farewell to both casts(well, still P4D, but still). You come up with an asspull way to have both casts interact in the prime of their youths, and while still undergoing both of their adventures(even if they took place years apart), and just have them interact with each other in fun ways in a school festival. As such, I'm really looking forward to it, even if I'm expecting some suckerpunches from the story.

Yeah, and it would be a fine one it seems.
Now for that P5 character milking they've been putting off starting...

Same day as Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. :/

NAMCO!!!!! Wait...

P4AU spoilers

There was a nice finality to the P4 narrative as well. The investigation team had finally been disbanded, and everyone decided to pursue their own futures. Yu went back to the city, Yosuke decided to get serious and study for college, Yukiko plans on leaving Inaba to train, Naoto and Rise leave the town to pursue their respective careers. Adachi's back in prison.

They may go their separate ways, but evil will never fail to unite them.
... Can someone shop a P4 Avengers poster?

Yeah, and it would be a fine one it seems.
Now for that P5 character milking they've been putting off starting...
Here's my completely unfounded theory. They're holding off on the
ending of Elizabeth's journey
until they're certain it's safe to move onto a new gravy train. If P5 flops, they'll have to keep milking that P3/P4 teat. But if P5's successful, then the REAL ending for those guys would make sense, right?

Setsu00

I think I'll play Q before I'll play Ultimax's story mode. I heard somewhere that Ultimax's character interactions become much more meaningful after finishing Q...

FluxWaveZ

That's why I omitted P4. Their tribulations are obviously not finished yet, so all of that stuff in P4AU inferring a certain finality to the P4 crew becomes meaningless when, something like a few months later, they're dealing with some internet-based kidnapping that they have to dance through to solve, for some reason.

I really wonder what they could do if they choose to make a subsequent P4A game. Shove it between P4AU and P4D? Or after P4D, but before P4G's epilogue? I guess I'm fine with them doing whatever with the P3 and P4 brands as long as P5 isn't initially affected by any of the craziness but, at some point, the stories taking place all around the same period will make everything just seem... weird?

I think I'll play Q before I'll play Ultimax's story mode. I heard somewhere that Ultimax's character interactions become much more meaningful after finishing Q...

There doesn't seem to be much of that, aside from one blatantly subtle reference to Persona Q's premise much like the subtle reference to P4A that was in P4G's epilogue.

Then again, maybe I wouldn't know what to look out for without playing PQ, but I think noticing elements like that would be somewhat obvious. There might have been lines akin to "Do I know you from somewhere...?", but I don't remember any offhand.

I remembered that while browsing Tumblr earlier today when I saw one example that this was actually the case. I won't post it though because of the spoiler policy.

Pretty sure that's more 'shout out to the premise' than 'need to play to understand'.
Honestly, I found that it was unrealistic to expect Ultimax to tie into Q, considering Q hadn't been out that long when Ultimax was released in Japan.

kewlmyc

Hey all you Persona faithful in here, is the P3 story in P4AU better than the P4 story? Because if not, then I might not even bother to do it. Wasn't impressed all that much with the P4 story.

Mdesilva

Didn't you say they hinted at another Persona fighting game in a recent interview, Flux? Or something like that?

I'd be really surprised if they don't keep it up, even just doing gameplay revisions probably won't bring enough cash that they'd stop making new installments.

Top Bottom