• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

So is it better to just wait to do an s link run until your new game plus as you'll be able to carry over the MC's levels and (eventually) his persona which will let you basically ignore tartarus for the most part so you can focus all effort on maxing social links and such?

Soulflarz

Banned
So is it better to just wait to do an s link run until your new game plus as you'll be able to carry over the MC's levels and (eventually) his persona which will let you basically ignore tartarus for the most part so you can focus all effort on maxing social links and such?

Yes. And because its simply a less fun playthrough.

Yes. And because its simply a less fun playthrough.

So basically

First run = Play however I want, get as much that can carry over as I can

2nd run = New game +, largely ignore dungeon and spend all your time maxing social links and buffing stats

Apparently your social stats aka academics/charisma/charm carry over too? How much easier does having maxed social stats make maxing out all s links or is it still a massive guide dang it where you basically have to follow a guide to the letter to complete it?

Sophia

If you're thinking about doing a max social link run, and you don't know the game top to bottom, then you're not ready to do a max social link run. :p

Just stick with a regular playthrough. Your stats do indeed carry over in New Game Plus mode, which gives you significantly more time at the start as they'll likely be maxed out.

CorvoSol

So basically

First run = Play however I want, get as much that can carry over as I can

2nd run = New game +, largely ignore dungeon and spend all your time maxing social links and buffing stats

Apparently your social stats aka academics/charisma/charm carry over too? How much easier does having maxed social stats make maxing out all s links or is it still a massive guide dang it where you basically have to follow a guide to the letter to complete it?

I followed a guide and still failed to get an entire Social Link. But not maxing stats meant that I had enough time to do a significant number more than my first playthrough!

Honestly it wouldn't be a guide dangit at all in Golden with the extra time you're given if The Fox's Social Link wasn't such an unrewardingly tedious thing to do.

Thanks for all the advice guys

I think I may still just start over, not going for a max slink run, but just being more efficient to try and get more out of my first run. Spent a lot of days getting lunch at various restaurants and a lot of nights doing Tartarus. May also drop down to normal not because I find the game crazy difficult, but because I feel I'd spend less time grinding in Tartaraus and may actually beat the game sometime this year and move on to Persona 4 :p

Dunno gonna sleep on it

This is what most people do yes

Soulflarz

Banned

I think I may still just start over, not going for a max slink run, but just being more efficient to try and get more out of my first run. Spent a lot of days getting lunch at various restaurants and a lot of nights doing Tartarus. May also drop down to normal not because I find the game crazy difficult, but because I feel I'd spend less time grinding in Tartaraus and may actually beat the game sometime this year and move on to Persona 4 :p

Dunno gonna sleep on it

Id suggest normal over hard in persona
Its not the smt difficulty thing, its just because time is a mechanic and hard=wasted time

Dunno gonna sleep on it

Yeah, my advice is to balance your time (I assume that since you are not following a guide you can do whatever you want each day). The early game will be really hard if you spend too much time trying to max your social stats and S links. I remember in my first run in P3Fes I got destroyed at the beginning by pretty much every other boss because I only went to Tartarus if I was in great condition after going to the washroom. One particular moment that stands out was being killed by a boss in P3Fes after struggling for about 10 turns, while in P3P, learning from past experience, I won in 2 turns because I was much better prepared (though better mechanics also helped).

But if you do spend the majority of early game doing slinks and stats, endgame is much easier, although to be honest it's pretty easy no matter what, especially if you know which Slinks to max for OP personas. I ended up maxing out all of my stats and most Slinks (3 party members' slinks ended at rank 1 while every other slink was maxed lol). Most bosses died extremely quickly because I ended up grinding with the free nights I had because there was nothing better to do.

So, in short, manage your grinding effectively. I didn't, and found early game pretty difficult, even on normal, due to being constantly underleveled 3-5 levels (not actually sure, just that when new members joined I was always lower level than them by about that much). Then in the later parts of the game I was constantly over-leveled and killed bosses easily, and had too much free time at nights to grind (it got so boring that I spent some nights just playing games that boost stats, even though its probably less time efficient).

Also I was looking through tumblr for P4AU stuff, and noticed quite a few pictures with sprites in a certain position. Did this happen when the original P4A was announced? Ex:

tumblr_nbtq48fKbR1th6hu9o1_1280.jpg

I noticed quite a few involving [Redacted], though it could be because I was purposefully trying to look for stuff about him.

Xenoflare

Also I was looking through tumblr for P4AU stuff, and noticed quite a few pictures with sprites in a certain position. Did this happen when the original P4A was announced? Ex:

Well, these never popped up until Rise showed up, so I would imagine that this is just a P4AU thing.

I could be wrong though.

No, that's wrong. People were making stupid/crazy stuff with P4A sprites, too.

OK then. Thought maybe people were more interested in P4AU so they started doing this stuff when the sprites were leaked, but I guess I'm wrong. P4
Or maybe they just like Rise a lot for 'waifu' reasons? Though Adachi appears a lot too, so it's probably just hype for the game in general. I admit I found these somewhat amusing when I saw them (guess I'm still really immature or have a bad sense of humour), especially because of some of Adachi's facial expressions for some of his attacks

I think any time sprites are involved—especially once they're ripped—people will do things with them.

lol I actually found the Teddie sprite pretty funny. Yeah, my humour sucks. Also I didn't realize YukikoxMitsuru was a popular thing, or a thing at all. I didn't play P4A, but I don't think there is any real relation between them. For example, I remember at least a picture out of context with Akihiko telling Kanji to take off his clothes (I think), but I'm not sure about Yukiko and Mitsuru. Or maybe the pic is just there because the sprites kind of work together and that's all, as I don't remember anything with Akihiko and Teddie.

Edit: Yeah, it probably has nothing to do with shipping characters together. Marie doesn't really go with anyone and neither does [Redacted], but I saw quite a few involving them. P4 Spoilers
P4AU hype is getting to me. Especially for Adachi. Really want to see his interactions with the P4 cast again, and the P3 cast as well. https://38.media.tumblr.com/f90b6417e6abe42ec7cafc49c73daaa1/tumblr_ncsxzpoAlh1tkzw5uo1_500.jpg

Spent far too much time watching gameplay and looking at pics/news rather than doing homework.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, nabbed my copy of P4A Ultimax! Pretty happy with most of the goodies, the tarots in particular, but the card stock feels... a little flimsy. Not like I'm planning on using them for divination, though, so it's not that bad. Also, I can't inflate the bop bag for the life of me, so I guess I'll have to see if I don't have a bike pump somewhere.

Unfortunately, can't actually play the game yet. PS3 is messed up right now and I bought it now just because I didn't wanna miss out on the goodies later. Will hopefully be able to join you guys soon, though.

No kidding with the time management.

Going back from P4G to P3P is painful. The low exps, ugh. Even at solo.
P3P is pretty generous with XP shuffle time cards. It's a little stingier than P4G but as long as you keep nailing your AOA finishes, leveling shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Caladrius

I gort the Marie Sue and Big Dick character DLC while it was still free.

Please don't look down on me Hardin-san I'm going to buy the game full price soon!

It's nice to see people repping the best crack pairing

Shouldn't that be plural? :V

(YukikoxMitsuru is exquisite though)

Meia

It's nice to see people repping the best crack pairing

Fire and ice, best crack pairing indeed. :D

If you're going to do a max social link, I've already said this, but you really do need to open up a guide and follow it EXACTLY. You MUST answer every question a certain way, you MUST always have a matching persona for whoever you hang out with the on the day, and you MUST do precisely what it says on every day. If it says to clear Tartarus in one day for example, you MUST. Following a guide in this strict of a fashion means you'll max everything on a first playthrough, but you only get *maybe* 5 days of wiggle room over the course of the entire year(this is probably me being generous actually). In comparison, being this strict with a guide in Persona 4 usually gives you a full month of wiggle room.

For me, this kind of micromanagement is right up my alley so I love these playthroughs. If this doesn't sound as fun to you(and it isn't to most), don't bother with it the first time.

The Akihiko and Teddie gif is amazing lol
Also I didn't realize YukikoxMitsuru was a popular thing, or a thing at all. I didn't play P4A, but I don't think there is any real relation between them. For example, I remember at least a picture out of context with Akihiko telling Kanji to take off his clothes (I think), but I'm not sure about Yukiko and Mitsuru. Or maybe the pic is just there because the sprites kind of work together and that's all, as I don't remember anything with Akihiko and Teddie.
Yeah, YukikoxMitsuru is one of the P3 character x P4 character friendships formed during Arena.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe it's just me, but I found that Mitsuru x Rise interaction was more relevant. At least I remember more clearly Rise scolding Mitsuru like no one ever did before. lol

Yeah, I don't really recall much Mitsuru and Yukiko interaction, but I do remember stuff like this.

Also, having just heard it, the Yukari win quote vs. Elizabeth is interesting. She almost sounds angry that Liz has the Persona she does at first, and then goes "Ah... never mind."

I found Teddie deflated overnight, then the same after re-inflating him an hour ago. Think I might have gotten too aggressive with that packaging...

Wow... My Teddie's exactly the same as he was when I snapped the photo of him on Tuesday.

My room still smells a bit of the plastic, but it's mostly gone now. Might use him as a goalie when kicking around my plus soccer ball from Ikea.

I'm ready to replay the Ultimax story in the ENG version to see if I missed any hidden gems in the monologues. I seemed to have missed out on the discussion a few pages back, but I think Ultimax's story is serviceable, if a little underwhelming. The best parts to me were the character interactions which is what I love most about Persona to begin with so I was pretty happy there. All I can say is that if you buy this game solely for the story, you may end being let down, but at least it has a story *cough* Destiny *cough*.

P.S. Main Yosuke :p

Levito

Banned
Hey folks, a while back I mentioned doing a 24 hour Persona livestream for charity(Child's Play) this month, but due to school I don't think I can. Trueself and I are still set on doing it though, thinking either the weekend of the 8th or 15th in November. We need people with stream capable rigs that'd be willing to go for semi-long periods of time. Any of you interested?

The sooner we find people that can help, the sooner we can start putting things together. Willing to bet I could get some of the voice actors that've appeared on the podcast to come on, and I've already got some items for giveaways.

Hey folks, a while back I mentioned doing a 24 hour Persona livestream for charity(Child's Play) this month, but due to school I don't think I can. Trueself and I are still set on doing it though, thinking either the weekend of the 8th or 15th in November. We need people with stream capable rigs that'd be willing to go for semi-long periods of time. Any of you interested?

The sooner we find people that can help, the sooner we can start putting things together. Willing to bet I could get some of the voice actors that've appeared on the podcast to come on, and I've already got some items for giveaways.

I'd be willing to give 'er a whirl! I'd need to do a stress test of my rig beforehand to make sure it can stream smoothly, but this is definitely something I'd be interested in.

pan-hime

I may take it up.

I have a good desktop back home, that I could use if I am home either of those weekends, but I'm not so sure my laptop could handle it. I could let you know for sure if I can later on this month, but it definitely sounds fun!

Hopefully, ill have those days off (I sometimes work weekends depending on the rota). If i cant make it, ill definitely make an extra donation.

abrack08

I found Teddie deflated overnight, then the same after re-inflating him an hour ago. Think I might have gotten too aggressive with that packaging...

My Teddie deflated too! And I was ultra careful unpacking him. Ultimate sadness. He also leans to the left when inflated. I was thinking about letting him sit on my desk at work but not if I have to blow him up every day.

PK Gaming

I gort the Marie Sue and Big Dick character DLC while it was still free.

Please don't look down on me Hardin-san I'm going to buy the game full price soon!

Shouldn't that be plural? :V

(YukikoxMitsuru is exquisite though)

I'm totally down with Teddie being paired up with other characters, but i'm not sensing the chemistry between Teddie-Teddie and Akihiko.

What the heck did you do to your glorious avatar

Caladrius

I'm totally down with Teddie being paired up with other characters, but i'm not sensing the chemistry between Teddie-Teddie and Akihiko.

What the heck did you do to your glorious avatar

There's no chemistry, they just look good together; The only reasoning anyone ever needs for a crack pair.

And I have become one with the duckface.

That and BGBW's avatar bet is over so I havd to make an avatar without his personal watermark, and I figured that since I have to make a new one anyway I'd go with something brand new for awhile.

PK Gaming

There's no chemistry, they just look good together; The only reasoning anyone ever needs for a crack pair.

And I have become one with the duckface.

True, but if the discussion is "BEST" crack pair then some degree of chemistry is needed, right?

That and BGBW's avatar bet is over so I havd to make an avatar without his personal watermark, and I figured that since I have to make a new one anyway I'd go with something brand new for awhile.

His bet is over already? Awww

Caladrius

True, but if the discussion is "BEST" crack pair then some degree of chemistry is needed, right?

His bet is over already? Awww

Well, yeah. >_____________>

And I felt bad even making him go through the bet in the first place (I agreed with his betting position) so I shortened his month-long bet until just before Smash comes out.

Top Bottom