• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Xenoflare

I wonder if Atlus will take the reception of
the writing
into account when making more Arena games?
Or will they just go 'well, it's a fighting game. Who cares about the story?' and stay the course?

The problem is that the original Arena
is already pretty weak story wise, but at least the novelty of it being a Persona fighter still lingers. However going back to it now would just make me feel even more salty

In Ultimax
the story isn't really trying anymore, it's your classic fighting game filler story arc. With no novelty to support it it just fell flat on the ground, but as I said earlier, at least it's much, much more streamlined so it makes the experience more tolerable.

I'm really salty because the story (frankly I wasn't offended by P4A)
really contrast of the reason why I liked Persona's story and characters

But in the end as you said,
Atlus probably knew it's a fighting game and who cares about the plot.

I really should cut it more slack since it's a spin off, but arugh, I need to rant. Because it's also
Canon

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the story of P4AU. I don't know where would be the best place to discuss it so that we don't have to worry about spoiling anybody else, but I think there's a lot to say about it.

I know this is a bit off topic from all the P4AU talk, but can someone spoil to me the end of P1? Just wondering because people have been saying P4's ending (P4 P1 spoilers)
is the happiest in the series. But from what I've read P1's is kinda similar in the sense that the MC has to leave all his friends. So why do people consider P4's ending happier?

Kazzy

There's something to be said for the relative quality of the stories, given that it exists within a fighting game. I always get the feeling that they don't want to affect the status-quo to any significant degree, especially as it's a game that a portion of the fan base have never (and probably will never) touch.
So even if it is canon, it raises the question as to how much value does that claim actually hold? It's a sorta/kinda proposition.

As it stands, this sort of spin-off would be much better served as it's own thing. I'd rather that, than it be constrained by shackles of what is 'proper' and 'appropriate' within the confines of the franchise at large.

It'd be easy to just let it rest at the whole "who cares about fighting game stories anyway?" rhetoric, but It feels as though they want to appease these fans on the fighting side, without actually alienating those who keep their distance until P5 is released. Ergo, you get a story where nothing of note actually happens. They can largely get by on character interactions anyway - which is certainly the case for me.

Happy birthday to everybody's favorite little sister, Nanako!
tumblr_inline_n74o2cRhXv1qdn4tt.gif

4Jt2jch.jpg
Please enjoy this tangentially related commemorative video!

who here thinking p5 will be like what falcom did to sen no kiseki?

i playing both sen no kiseki right now and the 3d models are terrible. the 2d portraits are fantastic. i dont understand why falcom didnt go the atlus route because the 3d models in both games look even more bad than persona 3 & 4 3d models

can you even imagining this? anyone who dares to complain about "graphics" is basically shot down as a "troll" or "lol graphics" etc etc on Siliconera

who here thinking p5 will get ridding of 2d portraits for good? meaning NO MORE VN styled dialogue portraits. EVERYTHING is now in 3d

but some you say well Catherine looks good right? but that p5 trailer was all in standard anime style. if have Catherine type animation, then why even showing standard anime styled trailer?

pq and p4dan all went full 3d... they look good for them. but p5 is main title and soejima is master of 2d portraits. without 2d portraits for p5... a part of that charming atheistic will be lost...

or do some of you thinking 3d models (no matter how bad) beats 2d portraits (no matter how good)?

cj_iwakura

Well for one, you should take anything posted at Siliconera with a grain of salt, especially the comments.

For another, well, we only have Catherine to go by... but you can expect P5 to have a LOT more in the way of dialogue and settings, so it's still possible they'll use VN style storytelling, but make it more dynamic, like in SMTIV.

Either way I'm confident they'll deliver.

My personal preference is 2D portraits over awkward 3D models, but if the game's good enough, I can overlook a lot, graphics-wise.

Still not a big fan of PQ's look at all.

Meia

who here thinking p5 will be like what falcom did to sen no kiseki?

i playing both sen no kiseki right now and the 3d models are terrible. the 2d portraits are fantastic. i dont understand why falcom didnt go the atlus route because the 3d models in both games look even more bad than persona 3 & 4 3d models

can you even imagining this? anyone who dares to complain about "graphics" is basically shot down as a "troll" or "lol graphics" etc etc on Siliconera

who here thinking p5 will get ridding of 2d portraits for good? meaning NO MORE VN styled dialogue portraits. EVERYTHING is now in 3d

but some you say well Catherine looks good right? but that p5 trailer was all in standard anime style. if have Catherine type animation, then why even showing standard anime styled trailer?

pq and p4dan all went full 3d... they look good for them. but p5 is main title and soejima is master of 2d portraits. without 2d portraits for p5... a part of that charming atheistic will be lost...

or do some of you thinking 3d models (no matter how bad) beats 2d portraits (no matter how good)?

I'm personally hoping for either full on Catherine, or if using separate in game models again, for there to be fully animated 2d portraits or something. The flapping lips in Arena was always kind of "eh" because that's like the only animation on them.

At this point, I'd settle for knowing what the hell the *game* looks like, thanks. :p

im really liking 2d portraits. soejima is king of 2d!

my opinion is that falcom should not have removed 2d vn styled dialogue portraits. or it will be really perfect game. that is my thinking

you see i dont like tales of zestrina or the recent tales game on ps3. no 2d portraits and i just dont feel that 3d models. maybe some of you here feel same way, maybe you disagree...

but after catherine, and knowing it is atlus, they ALWAYS use vn styled 2d portraits. except for pq and p4dan............... everything else has 2d portraits. makes me wondering if p5 will be all 3d... and losing soejima 2d love

Still not a big fan of PQ's look at all.

p3 and p4 have kind of different artstyle for portraits. p3 looks really old and not as colorful... so i think soejima will have to draw new portraits for p3 character to fit in the p4 game or they just look out of place... so instead of all that atlus decided to go chibi route and make all art style consistent

^ is just what i thinking one of reasons of going chibi artstyle

Sounds like a missed out on one hell of a play session. Today wasn't a good day for me, but i'm totally crashing your party next time!

Certainly, but at the same time, everyone in the cast got better so she's more or less in the same spot as she was in P4A. Bear in mind, Liz can win in P4AU. Any character can win. The reason why you don't see many top Elizabeth's winning anything is because she's not appealing for top players. She doesn't have many defensive options, her health & DP are abysmal, and her neutral game is somewhat mediocre. This doesn't mean that Liz is strictly unviable, but she's definitely a character that top players shy away from.

Unless you're Damosu the god.

Holy shit the way he beat that Aigis...

Xenoflare

Aigis gets off easy compared to this Mitsuru. Elizabeth can be good, she's just a ton of work. Still, I played as her in the lobby a bit last night and had a great time!

I love it when people forget that her SB Zio during awakening hits twice and SB Diarahan is chargeable+ projectile invuln.

I need to start to get better on her combos. I still suck so much for comboing.

I also wish that I could see people's reaction to that Mitsuru fight. Debilitate holy shit

Andrefpvs

While waiting for Ultimax to arrive, I'm thinking of replaying P4A's story mode just so I have the story fresh on my mind. But not every character, of course.

How does

Yu → Chie → Mitsuru → Labrys → Continue from cliffhangers → Elizabeth

sound to you guys?

What does everyone think of the new Naoto voice?

At first, i was raising my eyebrow a little bit, but over the course of the story mode, it felt completely natural. A solid performance in my opinion.

You enjoy it?

While waiting for Ultimax to arrive, I'm thinking of replaying P4A's story mode just so I have the story fresh on my mind. But not every character, of course.

How does

Yu → Chie → Mitsuru → Labrys → Continue from cliffhangers → Elizabeth

sound to you guys?

Sounds good. You'll see everything you need to see if you stick to that plan.

Dantis

A lot better than I had expected. When she's doing her formal voice, she's completely fine, but she completely lacks the femininity that the old voice had when she was informal, which is a shame.

Speaking of voice performances, I was really impressed by Ken's. I never minded his voice in P3, but I thought it was considerably better in Ultimax. One of my favourites actually.

Koromaru's voice actor hit it out of the park, obviously
and then fetched it.

It's a pretty good performance, something did feel missing and I think it's probably that it sounds less feminine as Dantis pointed out but overall I'm very happy with it. I have to say that Matt Mercer has super impressed me as Kanji, I thought he sounded okay in the anime but he's really improved since then and I'm loving his performance so far, really looking forward to more in PQ and DAN.

Squire

Banned
Well, I mean, do you like Naoto as a character? Because this post kind of implies not...

I like Naoto, but I feel like most of the really important/interesting scenes for her character are during her S. Link and not voiced. Usually when you hear her she's doing that thing where she's telling you, the player, everything you've already put together yourself, in your own head.

It's a pretty good performance, something did feel missing and I think it's probably that it sounds less feminine as Dantis pointed out but overall I'm very happy with it. I have to say that Matt Mercer has super impressed me as Kanji, I thought he sounded okay in the anime but he's really improved since then and I'm loving his performance so far, really looking forward to more in PQ and DAN.

I agree completely, Matthew Mercer nailed it as Kanji. A really good performance.

New Naoto is fine, if a bit deep too often, she doesnt use the higher 'feminine' voice at all during the game, but its fine.

Kanji is great! Matt Mercer is the perfect replacement as Kanji, you can tell he's having a blast doing this voice.

Margaret, I actually like. She doesnt have that subtle sensuality that the old VA had, but she does a good job delivering the lines she's given.

Igor........ this one is odd. There is nothing wrong with the voice itself, except for the fact it sounds NOTHING like old Igor, like not even close!

Does anyone know the reason why Bryce Papenbrook is voicing Theo in Q when it is clearly Travis Willingham in Ultimax? I can only think of it being a scheduling conflict because it seems odd that he would do one voice and not the other.

New Ken (is it the same VA from P3?) is great. You can tell he's grown up but still has the same mannerisms and speech patterns as the old Ken. This means he's still a shit and I still hate him with a passion :)

Todd Haberkorn as Sho/Minazuki. Well done! Excellent performance as both, great method of making each voice unique while still sounding similar enough for us to believe it's the same person.

I could voice my opinions on the returning characters, but they all did a good job so its kinda moot.

New Naoto is fine, if a bit deep too often, she doesnt use the higher 'feminine' voice at all during the game, but its fine.

Igor........ this one is odd. There is nothing wrong with the voice itself, except for the fact it sounds NOTHING like old Igor, like not even close!

the feminine voice was used by naoto during social links right? no social links in the fight game... so no chance to showing voice?

igor is not in pq right? basically p4au is the last game igor will showing himself, and pq or dancing igor will be gone forever

FluxWaveZ

igor is not in pq right? basically p4au is the last game igor will showing himself, and pq or dancing igor will be gone forever

You don't know that Igor will not be in Persona 4 Dancing.

Edit: Found a non-watermarked version of the P4U2 Shadow version box art on Twitter (P4 spoilers). Margaret's expression is definitely different as well; so it seems that Marie's the only one who's the same (though her eyebrows might be furrowed; can't tell). Hopefully we get a clearer version soon, now that the contest for it is finished.

yWSmdGB.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
New Ken (is it the same VA from P3?) is great. You can tell he's grown up but still has the same mannerisms and speech patterns as the old Ken. This means he's still a shit and I still hate him with a passion :)

People have said that Mona Marshall reprised Ken's role, but I swear he sounds like Labrys.

People have said that Mona Marshall reprised Ken's role, but I swear he sounds like Labrys.

Only thing with that though is that Ken wasn't mentioned as being recast when the news about the other cast changes broke. Not saying that it's confirmed that Mona Marshall came back, but it sounds enough like her (to me at least) that it seems like a safe assumption.

PK Gaming

Ken is definitely no longer voiced by Mona Marshall. It sounds like he's voiced by Cindy Robinson (Labrys's VA) but i'm not 100% sure.

PK Gaming

How comes he's definitely not voiced by her? Both Kens sound similar enough.

Because Mona Marshall has a fairly distinct voice (if you watched South Park or Digimon, you'd recognize her immediately)

You only have to compare the voices back to back to note the difference. They sound similar on the surface, but it's definitely two different people.

Just watched
Episode Adachi.
I think it was pretty good (though I haven't watched the actual story). I think it's kinda similar to the
Adachi
episodes of P4GA in the sense that you get to see things from the point of view of someone else and see what they are thinking. Maybe they could implement something like that in Persona 5 after you beat the main game, where you play from another character's point of view?

LX_Theo

Banned
I thought ti sounded a lot like the Ken voice I knew and "loved". I guess the best way to settle it would be to look at the credits, no?

Top Bottom