• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

Hey all you Persona faithful in here, is the P3 story in P4AU better than the P4 story? Because if not, then I might not even bother to do it. Wasn't impressed all that much with the P4 story.

Episode P4 will remain incomplete until you've finished Episode P3. I preferred Episode P3 to Episode P4, but it's not as if the story fundamentally changes; it's the character moments that make it.

Didn't you say they hinted at another Persona fighting game in a recent interview, Flux? Or something like that?

I'd be really surprised if they don't keep it up, even just doing gameplay revisions probably won't bring enough cash that they'd stop making new installments.

From this interview. Wada states that P4U2 was a sequel to P4 as well as the "P-1 Grand Prix", the latter of which has concluded with this entry, and I believe he also states he'd be willing to explore a future game. He stated his willingness for the P4A series to be a true fighting game series known among the popular ones out there in the P4A art book interview before, too.

Statements like that, the success of the series, P4AU's true ending, etc. makes it so that a sequel would be likely. Although, I still have to wonder what they could do with it, especially narratively. Even in terms of roster, the only characters they could really add anymore are Theodore and Fuuka, and those are some real borderline choices right there. We can consider the P5 crew, but then will they have to ditch a lot of the sprites of the P4 cast, or is something silly like time travel going to be involved (assuming P5 takes place years in the future from those events)? It's at a weird place, when things seemed pretty obvious after P4A.

Setsu00

Pretty sure that's more 'shout out to the premise' than 'need to play to understand'.
Honestly, I found that it was unrealistic to expect Ultimax to tie into Q, considering Q hadn't been out that long when Ultimax was released in Japan.

That's actually not the scene I meant, but I guess you're right anyway.

Walshy

Is Q classed as canon?

Because so far i'm seeing the timeline of P3+P4 as:

P3:The Journey > P3:The Answer > P4:G > P4A > P4AU > Golden Epilogue

Is that correct?

Meia

From this interview. Wada states that P4U2 was a sequel to P4 as well as the "P-1 Grand Prix", the latter of which has concluded with this entry, and I believe he also states he'd be willing to explore a future game. He stated his willingness for the P4A series to be a true fighting game series known among the popular ones out there in the P4A art book interview before, too.

Statements like that, the success of the series, P4AU's true ending, etc. makes it so that a sequel would be likely. Although, I still have to wonder what they could do with it, especially narratively. Even in terms of roster, the only characters they could really add anymore are Theodore and Fuuka, and those are some real borderline choices right there. We can consider the P5 crew, but then will they have to ditch a lot of the sprites of the P4 cast, or is something silly like time travel going to be involved (assuming P5 takes place years in the future from those events)? It's at a weird place, when things seemed pretty obvious after P4A.

Yeah, we really won't know what possibility a new P4A has until we get P5 in our hands and see where everything falls. If they can come up with a reason for time travel in PQ for the 3 and 4 crew to interact with each other, anything is possible probably.

I'd be more wondering if a 3rd would keep a sprite style, or move into the new guilty gear style so alternate costumes are more realistic.

Is Q classed as canon?

Is that correct?

So far, it is canon as everything else is, so just insert Q in the middle of P4:G and you've got it, and then add P4D after the epilogue apparently.

I don't have any streaming capabilities but I'd love to Skype in or something and do commentary or whatever for the marathon, I don't work weekends and I think that would be a blast. I'm pretty new to the whole NeoGAF/PGAF community (and Persona in general honestly), but I've played all the Persona games (and a few SMTs as well) and think I'm pretty knowledgeable about the series. I'd just love to help out in any sort of fashion is what I'm saying.

I leave PersonaGAF for a day and there's talk of a livestream event? Count me in as well, if there's still room.

And I will be infinitely disappointed if our newest community member isn't represented in the streaming. :V

abrack08

EDIT: Whoops wrong topic

EDIT2: I'd definitely donate and tune in to a livestream, don't really have the proper setup to participate. We could have an Ultimax lobby with someone streaming, I'd play then!

Levito

Banned
Taking down the names of everyone interested in contributing. Must note here and now though that if you're serious about helping with the actual streaming that you gotta be willing to commit. Remember, not only is the point of the even to have fun but to also help raise money for Child's Play!

Still in the very early planning stages though. If you're interested, how about you PM me here on GAF or on twitter.

Is Q classed as canon?

Is that correct?

It's canon. It just hasn't
inarguably
tied in with anything yet.
It has the cast of P3 and P4, at the time of their respective school festivals, whisked away to some, for lack of a better term, pocket dimension.

cj_iwakura

The fascinating stuff I find on tumblr...

http://artemis-maia.tumblr.com/post/99080828853/sumaru-tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJgbJ8eCn1k

This is a fan disk that was released with the PSX version of EP and is presented like a Sumaru TV program:

tumblr_inline_ncvzbnpZ0u1r7rhsj.jpg

tumblr_inline_ncvzixyzMB1r7rhsj.jpg

hosted by Brown and Junko.
An interview with Okada and Kaneko.

tumblr_inline_ncvzrwxPwy1r7rhsj.jpg

Interview with Elisha (who sang Change Your Way)

tumblr_inline_ncvzszW7GC1r7rhsj.jpg

Toshiko and CM of the cd ~The errors of their youth~

cj_iwakura

Like an episode of Persona Stalker Club if it was created with in-game assets.

Wow, it just hit me that Atlus USA probably edited out everything but the interview and the trailer for the US version.

The Elisha LaVerne interview is at 40:31, and in English, if anyone's interested.

Didn't you say they hinted at another Persona fighting game in a recent interview, Flux? Or something like that?

I'd be really surprised if they don't keep it up, even just doing gameplay revisions probably won't bring enough cash that they'd stop making new installments.

I'd bet money we are getting Persona 5 Arena in the future.

Sophia

lol, the new Persona Stalker Club episode answers the mystery behind Aigis's feet.

Siliconera said:
According to Kajita, he’s been curious whenever he saw Aigis dressed in her school outfit, wearing shoes and socks. According to Atlus, she has a feature on her ankles that allows for optional equips. When her feet are pointy, it’s to increase movement speed and jumping power, similar to “Bambi or a horse”.

Siliconera article.

FluxWaveZ

lol, the new Persona Stalker Club episode answers the mystery behind Aigis's feet.

Siliconera article.

I'm thankful they do these recaps; was watching the episode and wanted to know what they were talking about during the Chidori segment.

Persona 3 + P4AU spoilers: I haven't gone through the story with English text yet, but...
I was disappointed to see they didn't address
Chidori's
status, considering Junpei's daydream. Hell, I was actually disappointed that
the Persona 3 MC
wasn't talked about more, even if they weren't going to be name dropped. I know they've moved on (to a degree, since what they do is in honor of them, especially Yukari), but some reminiscing wouldn't have hurt, especially given the situation they were in.

Squire

Banned
Played Ultimax all afternoon. Game is legit as hell. All the new characters seem great, but I have to try the DLC ones.

does anyone know yukari's story in p4au? can you spoiling me on why she joined the fight against the shadows again?
is there any reference to p3mc at all by her and how it is to ease his burden?

Xenoflare

does anyone know yukari's story in p4au? can you spoiling me on why she joined the fight against the shadows again?

Um there is really nothing major to spoil. She
fights because you know, she's a P3 main cast member that is not dead

Sophia

Both of your questions were answered in the countless trailers released before the game was. :p

And as for your spoilered question: No.

Xenoflare

^

Oh... thanking. Thought there will be more secret in P4AU in the game about yukari story. Thanking for answer.

To be completely honest
P4AU's story is a huge letdown for me, other than the fact that the structure are two complete flowcharts that's it

Mdesilva

Had fun in the lobby earlier, got to show off Margaret! She's really cool

Also I was playing like hot shit as Yukari so I needed a break lol

FluxWaveZ

Preach it, bub.
In hindsight, wanting only two separate stories was kind of a dumb idea...

I definitely don't see a problem with the structure. What was wrong with it? There's even Episode [Redacted] which explains a lot about certain things that weren't covered in Episodes P3 or P4. It could have just been a single, all-encompassing story, but it's also nice to have two distinct sides to the same story (like I imagine Persona Q does), with one of them being labeled canon just for reference. Anything to avoid P4A's layout at all costs; P4AU's was just fine.

The story itself, though, I can see the arguments against. I was fine with most of it for its individual moments, which are always neat, but I think they dropped the ball on whatever climax the buildup since the last game was supposed to be leading towards. There are certain things I wanted to see addressed that weren't, too. Though, I'm just glad it was way more eventful than P4A's and not as redundant in the least.

I have absolutely no idea what to think or expect of P4D's story.

I definitely don't see a problem with the structure. What was wrong with it? There's even Episode [Redacted] which explains a lot about certain things that weren't covered in Episodes P3 or P4. It could have just been a single, all-encompassing story, but it's also nice to have two distinct sides to the same story (like I imagine Persona Q does), with one of them being labeled canon just for reference. Anything to avoid P4A's layout at all costs; P4AU's was just fine.

The story itself, though, I can see the arguments against. I was fine with most of it for its individual moments, which are always neat, but I think they dropped the ball on whatever climax the buildup since the last game was supposed to be leading towards. There are certain things I wanted to see addressed that weren't, too. Though, I'm just glad it was way more eventful than P4A's and not as redundant in the least.

I have absolutely no idea what to think or expect of P4D's story.

I suppose it's less a problem with the idea, and more the execution. That said, even with how many stories Arena had, I wouldn't call any of them shallow.
A shame Ultimax seems to have not had the same luck, despite having less to focus on.

abrack08

Had fun in the lobby earlier, got to show off Margaret! She's really cool

Also I was playing like hot shit as Yukari so I needed a break lol

Yeah, lobby was great! I think I joined near the end. I tried to play Levito after he beat someone but he got up and left the lobby right when I sat at the arcade :(

Senpai didn't notice me

FluxWaveZ

I suppose it's less a problem with the idea, and more the execution. That said, even with how many stories Arena had, I wouldn't call any of them shallow.
A shame Ultimax seems to have not had the same luck, despite having less to focus on.

Wait, really? I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point, because I feel that P4A's story could be summarized in 3-4 bullet points for all chapters, while there was more going on in P4AU's story, whether it was Episode P3 or P4. P4A felt much more shallow to me, and the repetition is a big part of that.

Wait, really? I guess we'll just have to disagree on that point, because I feel that P4A's story could be summarized in 3-4 bullet points for all chapters, while there was more going on in P4AU's story, whether it was Episode P3 or P4. P4A felt much more shallow to me, and the repetition is a big part of that.

I can respect that. Though I found the monologues in Arena to flesh out the characters (especially the P3 ones) well.
On a completely unrelated subject, do you think Sho could've handled his own story with only one fight?
:p

Sophia

I maintain that both story modes have the same basic problem. They don't actually know where to go with the Persona 4 cast anymore, where as they have a good idea as to where they want to go with the Persona 3 cast. Hence the latter get more fleshed out and have an all around better story mode, and why they were willing to add new elements (Labrys) to fundamentally shake up an existing ensemble of characters.

I maintain that both story modes have the same basic problem. They don't actually know where to go with the Persona 4 cast anymore, where as they have a good idea as to where they want to go with the Persona 3 cast. Hence the latter get more fleshed out and have an all around better story mode, and why they were willing to add new elements (Labrys) to fundamentally shake up an existing ensemble of characters.

Yeah, that too. It's more a continuation of the status quo for the P4 crew than the fleshing out the P3 crew got treated to.
And then we have Labrys, who was just great, and Elizabeth, who was hilarious.

FluxWaveZ

I agree with this, but I have a feeling that it's less that they don't know what to do with the P4 cast, but that they actually can't do much more with them fundamentally, simply because of how short the timespan is between P4 and their continuing adventures via P4A and P4AU. Furthermore, there are things like P4G's epilogue which further limit what they can actually do with their story, and then there's P4D, too.

With P3, it was almost like a blank slate and, since they're not the focus of all this—for lack of a better word—milking, they were basically able to form their stories far more significantly than the P4 crew, limited by the brand.

On a completely unrelated subject, do you think Sho could've handled his own story with only one fight?
:p

Uh, well that's basically Episode [Redacted], although they have 2-3 fights. Not much of a difference there. Then there's also Labrys' chapter in P4A, which I think was 1-2 fights, too.

Sophia

I agree with this, but I have a feeling that it's less that they don't know what to do with the P4 cast, but that they actually can't do much more with them fundamentally, simply because of how short the timespan is between P4 and their continuing adventures via P4A and P4AU. Furthermore, there are things like P4G's epilogue which further limit what they can actually do with their story, and then there's P4D, too.

With P3, it was almost like a blank slate and, since they're not the focus of all this—for lack of a better word—milking, they were basically able to form their stories far more significantly than the P4 crew, limited by the brand.

I dunno about that. Despite Persona 4 Dancing, Rise got the best character development of anyone in the Investigation team. Likewise, the timeline between Persona 3 and FES's The Answer wasn't very long either yet they managed some significant character development for the cast there. I think they simply wrote themselves into a corner with the self-contained nature of Persona 4 + the epilogue presented in Golden, and didn't know how to write themselves out of it. That's why on the P4 side of Arena we got really silly stuff like Yukiko's boxed lunches and Kanji thinking everything was a dream.

Uh, well that's basically Episode [Redacted], although they have 2-3 fights. Not much of a difference there. Then there's also Labrys' chapter in P4A, which I think was 1-2 fights, too.

One fight. Labrys (with no Persona) vs Elizabeth.

FluxWaveZ

I think they simply wrote themselves into a corner with the self-contained nature of Persona 4 + the epilogue presented in Golden, and didn't know how to write themselves out of it. That's why on the P4 side of Arena we got really silly stuff like Yukiko's boxed lunches and Kanji thinking everything was a dream.

That's basically what I mean. I guess there are certain advancements like Rise in P4AU and even
Adachi
(Persona 4 spoilers), but it's because of everything surrounding the game that things fall flat in terms of the writing for the P4 cast. It's probably more egregious than something like PQ because of the nature of the story, too.

Speaking of which, I almost feel like P4D had a big part in Rise's Persona redesign. I bet that if Himiko appears dancing along with Rise, it'll be her P4AU version.

Some concrete dates for upcoming Persona stuff:
October 7 - Persona Q cafe becomes P4U2 cafe.
October 19 - Persona Music Box 2014.
November 21 - P4AU launches in Europe.
November 25 - Persona Q launches in North America.
November 28 - Persona Q launches in Europe.
December 10 - New P4GA episode.

PK Gaming

Played Ultimax for about 3 hours straight, we took over the lovers room on Samegawa Flood Plain. SO MUCH FUN.

Sounds like a missed out on one hell of a play session. Today wasn't a good day for me, but i'm totally crashing your party next time!

Thanks to Lemstar for suggesting that!

Ultimax is too sweet. Hey guys, is Liz more viable now?

Certainly, but at the same time, everyone in the cast got better so she's more or less in the same spot as she was in P4A. Bear in mind, Liz can win in P4AU. Any character can win. The reason why you don't see many top Elizabeth's winning anything is because she's not appealing for top players. She doesn't have many defensive options, her health & DP are abysmal, and her neutral game is somewhat mediocre. This doesn't mean that Liz is strictly unviable, but she's definitely a character that top players shy away from.

Unless you're Damosu the god.

Sophia

That's basically what I mean. I guess there are certain advancements like Rise in P4AU and even
Adachi
(Persona 4 spoilers), but it's because of everything surrounding the game that things fall flat in terms of the writing for the P4 cast. It's probably more egregious than something like PQ because of the nature of the story, too.

Speaking of which, I almost feel like P4D had a big part in Rise's Persona redesign. I bet that if Himiko appears dancing along with Rise, it'll be her P4AU version.

I'm actually kind of holding my thoughts on Ultimax's story mode for a little bit until more people play it. That, and the actual spoiler thread for Ultimax is deader than dead. To say the least, I have a lot to say about the conclusion and the Persona 4 side of the story. I also agree with A Dead Diehard that the story could have been much better with every character having their own fleshed out story mode. There was enough material for it, both used and unused.

I just finished Episode Redacted, so I'm completely done with the story. I have a lot to say about it, but yeah, I'll wait until more people play it, so I can gather my thoughts in the mean time.

That being said, I'm really really really enjoying this game. I had a lot of fun in the lobby with some of you guys!

Xenoflare

I have to say that my cringe was at maximum when
Yu and [REDACTED] doing the "COMBINING THE POWER PURRSONERS"

Seriously the
background music is just adding the salt to the injury

I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that
I was completely detached from the story, unlike the original P3/P4 games, I have no feelings for anyone whatsoever

Other than that I'm completely in love with the gameplay. Golden Arena mode is addictive. I'm really enjoying the lobbies.

I have to say that my cringe was at maximum when
Yu and [REDACTED] doing the "COMBINING THE POWER PURRSONERS"

Seriously the
background music is just adding the salt to the injury

I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that
I was completely detached from the story, unlike the original P3/P4 games, I have no feelings for anyone whatsoever

Other than that I'm completely in love with the gameplay. Golden Arena mode is addictive. I'm really enjoying the lobbies.

I wonder if Atlus will take the reception of
the writing
into account when making more Arena games?
Or will they just go 'well, it's a fighting game. Who cares about the story?' and stay the course?

Top Bottom