• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Nimby

Banned
Where is Shadow Kanji, this picture should be the best place to include him

JCAYuOX.jpg

I saw a picture like this with the guys.

FluxWaveZ

Regarding Persona 5: Is there a minimum amount of time that people here will be satisfied with that would be necessary for a normal playthrough of the game? I don't know if it's realistic to expect a 60-80 hour game from P5 (excluding a lot of the extra stuff players go into), but I did enjoy P3 and P4's length, despite whatever down time the games might have sometimes had.

Kinda feel like I'd be a bit disappointed with less than 30 hours.

Tamanon

Banned
30-40 solid hours would be okay with me.

I think the format is going to be slightly different in this game and there might be more side stuff besides just going through the old dungeons again, so it might have a lot of extra playtime doing side stuff. 30-40 for the main story would be great.

Squire

Banned
30-40 hours is the standard and it's always fine for me. I'm not expecting a big shift in the length though. They like to tell some long winded tales.

kewlmyc

It took me around 90 hours to beat P4 the first time. P3 took even longer. They were supposed to be 30-40 hour games?

Wow, I'm slow.

FluxWaveZ

It took me around 90 hours to beat P4 the first time. P3 took even longer. They were supposed to be 30-40 hour games?

Wow, I'm slow.

Howlongtobeat states that P3FES' average was 81 hours and Persona 4's was 73 hours, so those are more along the actual average.

Levito

Banned
Length of an initial run isn't that important to me. As long as the content within is hefty and can be greatly expanded upon on subsequent playthroughs.

arue

Regarding Persona 5: Is there a minimum amount of time that people here will be satisfied with that would be necessary for a normal playthrough of the game? I don't know if it's realistic to expect a 60-80 hour game from P5 (excluding a lot of the extra stuff players go into), but I did enjoy P3 and P4's length, despite whatever down time the games might have sometimes had.

If there is no random skill inheritance, I think 60 hours should be the minimum for the first playthrough. P3FES took me 100 hours and I'm still at 75 hours in
Naoto's dungeon
in P4 vanilla.

It's unlikely for P5 to have random skill inheritance, but if there is, I'd expect the game to be at least 70 hours long.

Caladrius

Length of an initial run isn't that important to me. As long as the content within is hefty and can be greatly expanded upon on subsequent playthroughs.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer 10-30 hour games where I can do a lot of stuff if I choose to. Much easier to replay than something that I have to spend at least a week on each time.

Meia

Modern Persona, at least, to me is about the passage of a full year and what it does to the cast. If they can get through a full year in 20 hours, I'd be sorely disappointed, honestly, as it means they skimped on something along the way in comparison to games passed.

I mean, the overall meta story is important these games, but of equal importance is how it effects the day to day lives of the students we see in these games. To make the overall experience shorter is kind of a disservice to what the series has become.

Now, if the change that they've said they're probably going to make is to go back to a more story focus and not a time management/character interaction thing it is now, more power to them, but I'd probably be sorely disappointed and wonder why they just didn't have that be another spin-off instead of a numbered sequel instead. /shrug

For what it's worth, I don't think I've had a modern persona runthrough last less than 100 hours, mostly because I've only ever done max link playthroughs. I'd be happy if it was made impossible but the links were much deeper in 5.

Nimby

Banned
60-80 is good for me. Although I've spent 100+ on both P3 and P4 on the first playthough. That's mostly because I'm a fusion freak though.

Nachos

Modern Persona, at least, to me is about the passage of a full year and what it does to the cast. If they can get through a full year in 20 hours, I'd be sorely disappointed, honestly, as it means they skimped on something along the way in comparison to games passed.

Now, if the change that they've said they're probably going to make is to go back to a more story focus and not a time management/character interaction thing it is now, more power to them, but I'd probably be sorely disappointed and wonder why they just didn't have that be another spin-off instead of a numbered sequel instead. /shrug

For what it's worth, I don't think I've had a modern persona runthrough last less than 100 hours, mostly because I've only ever done max link playthroughs. I'd be happy if it was made impossible but the links were much deeper in 5.

The same could've been said about the transition from 2 to 3, though.

At this point, I'll be satisfied with whatever length best accommodates the story. On one hand, a shorter game would mean less oportunities to grow attached to the characters, but on the other, it also makes it so that they don't need to pad the game with poorly-paced fluff. If Atlus decides to look at the entire series to see what lessons could be revisited and expanded upon, as opposed to just focusing on the modern titles, I just don't see why the calendar system would be so intrinsically-tied to the overall series identity, especially if they can invent an effective equivalent.

At the end of the day, though, if the series does aim to reinvent some aspects of how its structured, then I think it would be ideal to have a balancing act between old and new. Some of it's already going to feel familiar, just by virtue of 5 being helmed by the same creative leads, but at the same time, I think it does need to be grounded in enough tradition, so as not to alienate the veterans. It's going to be curious to see what aspects they try to reinvent, what they reiterate, and what they might abandon outright.

That's the cover of Yu's Aphex Twin tribute album.

I'm not embedding this, because it'd make the entire page unpleasant to look at otherwise.
Happy Halloween, everyone!

Levito

Banned
So you'd be fine if the main story was something like 15-20 hours?

While I'd definitely prefer a longer game, if the story is well told then I don't mind. Pacing is really important to me, and both P3 and P4 struggled with it at times. Particularly in the case of Persona 3, where it takes around 20ish hours for the plot to *really* get going. Basically, I'd rather have a shorter more concise plot over a game that's longer just for the sake of it. Granted I imagine P5 will be a big step up in pacing from P-Studio. They learned a lot from P3, as it shows in P4, so I expect and even more refined experience in P5.

Couple other wishlist items: I hope the dungeon designs are better, and I hope the harder difficulties are more in line with P3 rather than P4G.

Hah! Clever.

Meia

The same could've been said about the transition from 2 to 3, though.

You're absolutely right, and I fully accept my role as the old guy screaming at the cloud about how old Persona was best Persona, and then buddha shall scream at me about how oldEST Persona was best Persona.

FluxWaveZ

While I'd definitely prefer a longer game, if the story is well told then I don't mind. Pacing is really important to me, and both P3 and P4 struggled with it at times. Particularly in the case of Persona 3, where it takes around 20ish hours for the plot to *really* get going. Basically, I'd rather have a shorter more concise plot over a game that's longer just for the sake of it. Granted I imagine P5 will be a big step up in pacing from P-Studio. They learned a lot from P3, as it shows in P4, so I expect and even more refined experience in P5.

I can see that. I guess I'm of a similar opinion as well, but with Persona 3/4 I loved that they were long because I like to have a lot of game to look forward to when it comes to one I enjoy. I guess the pacing issues didn't bother me enough to want to forsake the length.

P1/P2 were much shorter games, but the narrative accommodated that, too. They took place over the course of, like, a day? Perhaps with the occasional, abrupt time skip. It could be a more concise story like that, but man do I love the calendar system. If they keep the calendar system, I feel that the game would inherently be of a certain length... that's if they keep it.

I have faith in P Studio to make it work, though. Short or long, it'll hopefully be memorable.

Squire

Banned

Wow, I'm slow.

P3 and 4 are both long like the times Flux posted. He was asking how we would we feel if changes in scale/style resulted in a game of a shorter length.

Xenoflare

P3 and 4 are both long like the times Flux posted. He was asking how we would we feel if changes in scale/style resulted in a game of a shorter length.

I completed p3p/p4g at around 35-40 hours first run. I had to restart p3p the first time I played it since I got all the way to the first midterm without doing any s.links since I had no idea what was going on.

I have spent over 300 hours (approaching 400.....) on p4g with multiple playthroughs of multiple different completed first runs as bases for NG+ I have 0 life.

To be honest I really hoped that p3p didn't carry over your level when doing the new game+. Having you at level 70+ and your teammates level 3 is really, really jarring.

LX_Theo

Banned
I completed p3p/p4g at around 35-40 hours first run. I had to restart p3p the first time I played it since I got all the way to the first midterm without doing any s.links since I had no idea what was going on.

I have spent over 300 hours (approaching 400.....) on p4g with multiple playthroughs of multiple different completed first runs as bases for NG+ I have 0 life.

To be honest I really hoped that p3p didn't carry over your level when doing the new game+. Having you at level 70+ and your teammates level 3 is really, really jarring.

What? I sort of rushed through my first time through and I was still in the 60s for hours. That's really fast.

May I ask what Wizardry-derived games are? From what I've looked up its a video game?

And I agree there are ways to save you in P3 and even more in P4, (where your allies die for you) and in Golden where Rise tanks a hit for you. I might have made a mistake in my rant, but in the event I was talking about where I missed a bunch I didn't actually die but a Homunculus saved me (in my head I count it as a death because I should have died). Though I still don't like losing a rare item to a random enemy :( . Though obviously that's all they're good for and I probably wouldn't be losing 20 more anytime soon, but still.

To be perfectly honest I didn't remember tetraja even existed. (I only remember it because in Nocturne I ended up with some random supply of like 50 tetraja rocks).

Probably just my mood at the time, but I didn't actually die against instant kills as much as my rant may have made it look like. I just emphasized the couple of times that it did happen.

However from what I recall in Nocturne the number of ways to save you were less. Unsurprisingly, demons on your team do not take mortal blows for you. I don't think homonunculi were a thing, I honestly can't remember. Almost as annoying as mobs that just spammed ma-instant kill were the ones that spammed dormina and eternal rest (i think?) and the like for a couple other ailments. I remember that happened once to me in a random surprise attack against succubi, but fortunately I saved a couple minutes beforehand so it wasn't too bad.

I'll be perfectly honest though: I'm pretty bad at these games. I like to turn my brain off for the most part in terms of critical thinking for situations. In persona, for example, I would just use whoever I wanted to level up in battles rather than who would probably be best against the enemies. Even against bosses I would switch personas near the end just so the one I want would get exp.

Wizardry-derived games are games that still stick near to the venerable Wizardry series. Heavy and involved character building, dungeons that are tough but less because of puzzles than from its labyrinthine form and deadly denizens. Dragon Quest is closer mechanically than most JRPGs, but thematically it's vastly different. Megaten games however still stick very close in both (of which Persona 4 is one of). There's alot of fightin', and alot of living by ones wits both tactically in battle and strategically in customizing ones' team; a heavy ammount of the gameplay of their titles is those two. Persona 4 (and 3 before it) had this neat twist of interweaving very heavy story and characterization in with that dungeon crawling and party tweaking. They completed each other.

And that's why the difficulty selection is there: an honest selection of difficulty without the overall selection getting harder (unlikely), or easier (we're living it).

I don't have aspirations other than to not underestimate their fans.

Vylash

Wow, I'm slow.

Everyone told me that P4G was around 50, but my first playthrough only took 34, granted I didn't get the new epilogue but that certainly wouldn't have taken much more time

Xenoflare

He is wonderful in Drakengard 3.

TRIVIIIA TIMMME.

But I think Tara Platt did a really good job as Zero, at first I was confused on why she voiced Zero in the first English trailer but man she's a moody bitch

Hearing her saying "STUPID PIECE OF SHIT" while charging with a spear is very, satisfying.

cj_iwakura

TRIVIIIA TIMMME.

But I think Tara Platt did a really good job as Zero, at first I was confused on why she voiced Zero in the first English trailer but man she's a moody bitch

Hearing her saying "STUPID PIECE OF SHIT" while charging with a spear is very, satisfying.

It's amazing how great Lowenthal is at playing a homicidal lunatic.

sakuori

So errr... hi PersonaGAF!
Been lurking around since OT4 and decided to join up just recently. ;;

Played P3:FES, Vanilla!P4 and Golden. I plan on getting Ultimax in the future (I kinda' suck with fighting games :C) and I'm pretty hyped for DAN.
I draw Persona stuff from time to time but rarely ever upload them somewhere.

Also,
Chie best girl.

Top Bottom