• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Levito

Banned
Large Marge is a lot of fun to play as, though she she seems a bit complicated. (At least for me)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies, I've yet to finish editing it. It takes a lot of time to put a show together and get it up on the site. After 40+ episodes where I made sure they were up the next day after recording, sometimes this happens. Really overworked right now between work and school, trust me, it'll be up when I get the chance and motivation to do it.

Relevant:

tumblr_inline_n2yrkeBs4U1qimb91.jpg

tumblr_inline_n2ys8biabt1qimb91.jpg
This one was like one of the best dialogue options in Golden, and yet they ruined it with Rise's response, I mean, it's RISE. Totally off-character imo.

Apologies, I've yet to finish editing it. It takes a lot of time to put a show together and get it up on the site. After 40+ episodes where I made sure they were up the next day after recording, sometimes this happens. Really overworked right now between work and school, trust me, it'll be up when I get the chance and motivation to do it.

No worries man. Release it whenever you're able to.

Do any of you remember that "coming soon" box on the P4AU website?

Well, as some of you may already know, im a manager at the Atlus branch in EUROPE. I was recently given to go ahead to reveal the next DLC character. Enjoy.

BzbW0JRCEAEISj0.jpg

He'll be free during the first week of PQ's release. After that, he'll be priced at $99.

PK Gaming

This one was like one of the best dialogue options in Golden, and yet they ruined it with Rise's response, I mean, it's RISE. Totally off-character imo.

I don't really think it's off-character. Getting soaked isn't sexy, it's just not sensible. It reeks of something a wannabe casanova would say to impress a girl, and it probably clashes with her image of "cool senpai."

Rise's not 100% bubbly a 100% of the time you know. She has a nuanced side to her.

Walshy

No worries man. Release it whenever you're able to.

Do any of you remember that "coming soon" box on the P4AU website?

Well, as some of you may already know, im a manager at the Atlus branch in EUROPE. I was recently given to go ahead to reveal the next DLC character. Enjoy.

BzbW0JRCEAEISj0.jpg

He'll be free during the first week of PQ's release. After that, he'll be priced at $99.
Will he have a persona?!

I really wish Dojima was in the spin off stuff more hopefully he's in DAN since it's unlikely he'll have a chance of showing up in any other cross over stuff.

Well, she's an idol. She has been "trying too hard" everyday for years because she had too. Hence the reason why she wants to leave and change. Charlie on the other hand deserves to be called out for that goober line.

She tries too hard to be Yu's girl from the moment her S-Link starts. She sure as hell wasn't interested in changing that, no matter what path you take with her.

PK Gaming

The character/navigator interactions are golden.

I'm seriously thinking of buying them all (despite the outrageous price) because I want to hear the hilarious snippets of dialogue from the navigators.

I think there's character specific navigator line of dialogue for nearly every single character combo in the game too.

Dantis

The character/navigator interactions are golden.

I'm seriously thinking of buying them all (despite the outrageous price) because I want to hear the hilarious snippets of dialogue from the navigators.

I think there's character specific navigator line of dialogue for nearly every single character combo in the game too.

I really wish I was good enough to unlock them. Still kinda shitty how hard it is to do.

Meia

I at least applaud them for not having them straight out DLC from the get-go, but something you can earn.

But yeah, the "how to" thing, sheesh.

I think the way I can just justify this expense is by saying that the game didn't have a LE, and if I can pay $100 for another game's LE, then I can spend $40 on DLC and be ok!

*wallet jumps off cliff*

abrack08

I really wish I was good enough to unlock them. Still kinda shitty how hard it is to do.

I thought when the Japanese version came out people were saying all you had to do to unlock the navigators is beat Arcade mode on Risky with the character you want. Instead all I got was Junpei's Round Call. Was a little disappointing.

Does anyone know how you unlock them? I'd pay money for Adachi or Junpei, but I'd rather try to unlock them legitimately first.

FluxWaveZ

I thought when the Japanese version came out people were saying all you had to do to unlock the navigators is beat Arcade mode on Risky with the character you want. Instead all I got was Junpei's Round Call.

Does anyone know how you unlock them? I'd pay money for Junpei, but I'd rather try to unlock them legitimately first.

Not Arcade mode, Score Attack mode. All Score Attack Risky courses with the respective character.

Dantis

Oh that makes sense. I hadn't touched score attack, didn't realize it had different difficulties this time to. Can you use continues?

Yes.

It is still outrageously hard to do though, and finishing it four times with each character is a somewhat unreasonable request.

Talking about Japanese versions, does anyone know why the Japanese version of P4G is still so expensive? I was thinking of buying it to practice a bit, considering I know the game pretty well and it should be pretty simple. Except for Igor.

How much is the navigator DLC?

There are two packs, one costs $12 (includes Yosuke, Aigis, Mitsuru, Fuuka, Nanako and Teddie) and the other is $20 (everyone else but Sho, Minazuki, Shadow Labrys, Marie and Margaret).

I like unlocking Boss versions of each characters (which is a lot easier to unlock than navigators or round calls), though it's a shame that I can't use them in Practice Mode to see what's different. Boss Minazuki can inflict silence AND fear with most of his normals lol

Heh, as one who cleared the original P4A Score Attack with all of the characters, I find that it's weirdly too easy now? First time I learned that there were continues, I was kinda astonished.

Makes it easier to get those navigators, at least.

I couldn't even beat Yosuke :( By the way Flux, you may know this better than me, but wasn't there a Famitsu scan or something that shown Theo as a navi? Or am I imagining things?

kewlmyc

There are two packs, one costs $12 (includes Yosuke, Aigis, Mitsuru, Fuuka, Nanako and Teddie) and the other is $20 (everyone else but Sho, Minazuki, Shadow Labrys, Marie and Margaret).

Thanks. I already have the first set, so I might get the other one down the road.

I don't really think it's off-character. Getting soaked isn't sexy, it's just not sensible. It reeks of something a wannabe casanova would say to impress a girl, and it probably clashes with her image of "cool senpai."

Rise's not 100% bubbly a 100% of the time you know. She has a nuanced side to her.
She has said things worse than that or at least be impressed to other similar options said by P4MC. If Yosuke or Teddie said it I would believe it. But it just comes really weird for me to hear that from her.
Why did they skipped Yukari for Aigis?! D:
Rei sounds pretty great.
And those interviews are also pretty great, lol Amanda
PK 'bout to have words with you.
I got back ups!
She's one to talk!
*cough* hypocrite *cough*

Sophia

I now wonder what Aigis means by her being able to 'poink", and specifically her head. The only definition I've found for that word is slang and definitely cannot apply to Aigis.... o_O

PK Gaming

Damn, I really want to see those videos

2 more hours until I get home :<

She has said things worse than that or at least be impressed to other similar options said by P4MC. If Yosuke or Teddie said it I would believe it. But it just comes really weird for me to hear that from her.

MiguelMexMIstery
P4AU scenario writer
(Today, 05:24 PM)

Xenoflare

Oh man, I love the voice actor interviews.

Please do one with Tara Platt and Laura Bailey <3

Of course everyone else too.

To allow EVERY member of the party to swap personas means that the entire battle system needs to be changed. It can already be too easy with smart usage of varied Personas with the MC to hardly ever allow an enemy to even attack, if EVERYONE has that capability than the only enemies that would ever even get a round in would be bosses.

I am ALL for the series going more like SMT with much more varied spells, including spells that are locked to some personas and can never be carried over. And yes, this includes party members. Giving each party member a unique skill in P4G at persona tier 3 was a neat idea, with it's only drawback being it was kind of thrown in so it wasn't really balanced(i.e. all of the guy's spells sucked in comparison to the OP female's spells). I'd love to see this idea continued on. I mean, Chie is weaker than Kanji in terms of damage output(not much with Golden, but still there). So why not have each of them have a unique physical attack from their persona that no one else gets, but focuses on a different thing? Hell, going back to three physical attributes would be a good thing(I'd settle for 2).

tumblr_inline_n2yrkeBs4U1qimb91.jpg

IIRC doesn't she mock you if you pick that last option? :p

Yeah, I liked the varied skills, though the only problem would be if there happens to be one that's really useful/OP compared to others (Daisoujou Meditation in Nocturne comes to mind, as it is useful for the majority of the game due to stackable debilitate.) But there were some cool/interesting ones there. Not really important in a single player RPG I guess, but with more skills it gets harder to balance the personas/characters (and if for some reason the games gets a multiplayer element, it gets even worse).

One other thing I forgot to touch up on were instant kills and ailments (RNG) and also some buff/debuff talk.

For ailments, I'm not sure how to make them balanced, as they are either really useful or useless, and in general annoy the player. I haven't played it yet, but I heard PQ ailments were OP? Poisoning bosses seems to be really powerful, and Incubus is supposedly good because he gets a skill card for increased poison chance or something? Meanwhile in the other games they were mainly useless with no effect on bosses. In P4 you never really used it, which made a lot of personas pretty bad because their skillsets revolved around them. Enemies would troll and make you miss/waste turns/lose SP, but it was not effective to try to cast ailments on them compared to just spamming magic they are weak against(mobs only, and bosses were unaffected). So overall, it was kinda useless for you to use in P4 and somewhat annoying to be used against you (not terribly annoying). In P3 there was the renown charm ailment that you could potentially use for a free heal from an enemy, but it isn't really something to aim for over damage/weaknesses (Mitsuru's Marin Karin comes to mind). It goes the other way too where you heal enemies (Final boss). You could ghastly wail the strength/fortune boss, but the fear isn't even caused by you in that case. Rage is more potent in both ways: you get two turns but take tons more damage. There was also Raging Tiger, but I never used it and I never heard anyone really talking about it other than wondering what it really is good for (which is barely anything because it is very situational if you get enraged, and Raging Tiger was annoying when trying to fuse good spells). There was shock and freeze, which from this game to Nocturne were good ailments but could hardly be relied upon outside of Thunder Reign/Niflheim. So in P3 they were slightly more useful but I still never used them. In DDS and Nocturne, each ailment was a type of attack, so it could be used to hit enemy weaknesses. Unfortunately in terms of raw damage they were weaker than Ma-dyne spells and couldn't affect bosses, so I didn't use them much. And regardless of ability to hit enemy weaknesses or not, the ability themselves weren't that great for you to use (though I remember times where I've been killed because my whole party falls asleep/gets charmed/get fear by 3-4 enemies just spamming ailment spells, and the enemy used the respective 'instant kill if they are afflicted with the ailment' move). In short, ailments are in an odd spot; they are effective in the sense that they make enemies less threatening and easier to kill, but it's more SP efficient to hit weaknesses and go for the AoA or go for pure damage since ailments in persona games don't do damage. If the ailments can affect bosses though, they would become really good and useful.

For instant kills, I dunno how I feel about them. These are good for you to use, especially if the enemy is weak to it. In P4 they were really good because it was guaranteed instant kill against enemies with a weakness (at least I don't recall missing against them). The problem is that the opposite is true and in early game, you really have no counter to it unless you never use personas weak against instant kills (Justice and Death pretty much, plus some others). Though that's more a problem of game over based off of the leader, because you risk dying against any enemy that exploits your weakness, and in early game, there isn't much you can do to block it. In P3 it feels a lot more luck based even against weaknesses (I'm not even sure if targeting weaknesses affects accuracy). I remember casting multiple instant kill spells against an enemy weakness and I missed every time (probably 4+ because Ken was with me also spamming Hamaon). But then the enemy decides to cast an instant kill move and instantly kills me :( . Same with DDS and Nocturne. There really isn't much to do against RNG, but I think that making it so you don't get an instant game over due to bad luck with one instant kill spell is a good idea. RNG could still screw you over, but it's a lot less likely to screw over all of your teammates vs just your MC.

Also in regards to buffs, I preferred Nocturne/DDS a bit more mainly because you could cast them all at the beginning and forget about it because they last forever. In persona, you would have to constantly recast, and the caster would always end his duration early (less annoying in Golden because you could reapply the buff early and it would reset the times for others, while before if you recast early it would miss your allies). Another thing is that I don't like how Persona has it so that you could only have base buff spells in the beginning of the game that only target one person (generally that would mean MC). Early game, 12 SP is kind of costly when magic spells are 4SP for single target spell, and the benefit isn't too great because the boost disappears after 3 turns. When you get Ma-buffs, it's a lot better. I think they should stick with non-stackable buffs/debuffs, but maybe add some variation. DDS and Nocturne has skills early-mid game like taunt, fog breath, and war cry which would take down their stats two levels, which obviously will not work in Persona games. Maybe something like Taunt in persona could cause decrease in enemy defense, increase in enemy attack, and cause rage (and then you equip a persona with repel phys and let it kill itself).

Now that I've finished writing this, I'm not exactly sure if this relates well to what you said about varying spells and having the whole cast being able to switch personas. I guess the majority just an add-on for my previous comments about the mechanics.

Also, I've never played Golden, so I didn't know what Rise actually does in response to the choice, but now I know. The dialogue and character interactions are pretty good in vanilla persona 4 and I'm glad they add more in Golden and Arena (even if they are somewhat off in terms of characterization).

Top Bottom