• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

tumblr_nd8twlenxz1tc98ffo1_500.jpg

You know, I was kind of thinking this when I played The Answer, but the arena games have proven to me that I really don't like Akihiko.

On that note:
tumblr_msooraWitn1sagetbo5_500.png

Arena ruined any salvageable traits for Akihiko, turning him into a giant muscle head with no brains.

DID YOU SEE THAT SHINJI?

Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't like Akihiko much. I don't dislike him, he starts the game as a promising character but at the end of P3 he becomes kinda boring.

Xenoflare

Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't like Akihiko much. I don't dislike him, he starts the game as a promising character but at the end of P3 he becomes kinda boring.

I agree completely, I thought that he's a promising character in the beginning as well, but the he fell flat.

To this day I don't know why
Arena wanted to take itself seriously while making the p3 cast in ridiculous costumes with an afterthought script. I've say it a million times before and I'll say it again.

I also have a feeling that P3's plot is rushed towards the end, or maybe something was cut. Some of the character's persona evolution sequences were a lot less convincing than others.

He was my Yukari in The Answer, if you catch my drift.

I also have a feeling that P3's plot is rushed towards the end, or maybe something was cut. Some of the character's persona evolution sequences were a lot less convincing than others.

Case in point:
Fuuka

I agree completely, I thought that he's a promising character in the beginning as well, but the he fell flat.

Yeah, flat is the word. Everyone else has a characterization (generalizing):

Junpei - the bro, the clown of the group and reckless member
Yukari - the hot, popular classmate and cautious member
Mitsuru - the overprotective boss and unattainable perfect girl
Fuuka - the nerd who is good at supporting
Aigis - the innocent and pure who doesn't know much about the world
Shinjiro - the bad boy who likes to be alone and is the coolest
Koromaru - the mascot
Ken - the brat who is intelligent and mature for his age and seeks revenge (Hope Estheim, lol)
Ryoji - the womanizer

I don't see Akihiko having an important characterization as the story goes. He becomes overshadowed by the end. (But he was in my final party against the final boss lol) He could work really well if he had a personallity like Shinji (I mean if both were the same character).

He was my Yukari in The Answer, if you catch my drift.
LOL

Meia

Akihiko was the senpai party member that wants to show the younger people the ropes, but is too busy trying to get stronger so he never loses anyone close to him again. He has his own growth through the story via events,
then I always looked at things unraveling when someone else close to him dies. Much like I think Junpei is improved by having a female protag, I think the same is true for Akihiko as well. That the FeMC reminds him of Miki, and then she DIES at the end of the game while Akihiko is powerless to stop it from happening once again, I can easily see him going the route he does with the Answer. It's very much again a case of Yukari's change in the Answer and the reasons for it. I can see the same happening with Yukari even with a FeMC if she looked at her as a sister, but it's hard to see Akihiko acting that way with the MC since they never really have any meaningful interaction.

All in all, chalk up another reason why I think P3 needs a definitive edition, Aki gets kind of screwed otherwise. :p

Akihiko was the senpai party member that wants to show the younger people the ropes, but is too busy trying to get stronger so he never loses anyone close to him again. He has his own growth through the story via events,
then I always looked at things unraveling when someone else close to him dies. Much like I think Junpei is improved by having a female protag, I think the same is true for Akihiko as well. That the FeMC reminds him of Miki, and then she DIES at the end of the game while Akihiko is powerless to stop it from happening once again, I can easily see him going the route he does with the Answer.

Yes, Akihiko is much better in FeMC's route. Everything is done better with Social Links.

And just so we're clear, I sympathized with the actual Yukari a great deal.

Honestly, I'm torn as to whether I hate Akihiko or Metis more.

Yeah, that behaviour during The Answer...
I was thinking as the MC: you traitor! Are you really gonna leave me here??! Do you want me dead and gone?? xD lol

Hating on Metis is simply unacceptable!
She is Aigis after all.

Funny you should mention that. My opinion of Aigis went to actual 'like' when she chewed her out after the
Akihiko/Ken fight.

Not to mention,
she's the one who provided an actual arena.

Yeah, that behaviour during The Answer...
I was thinking as the MC: you traitor! Are you really gonna leave me here??! Do you want me dead and gone?? xD lol
Not to mention his whole.
"Even if I could save my sister and best friend, I wouldn't. Because nothing in the past is a mistake."

PK Gaming

Just finished the latest SlinkFM episode

Pretty fun podcast! NichM is a pretty insightful dude; I loved hearing his little anecdotes (getting hugged by Kaneko? Like whoa!) and I got so much out of the PQ mechanical discussion; I love, love, love PQ's gameplay system, I really can't wait to play the game.

I also got a kick out of Levito saying he'd go with the P3 side first due to how Persona 3 is more "hardcore" than Persona 4. There's actually some truth to that statement because it is more hardcore than the P4 side. On risky, anyway (If you choose the risky difficulty, you get a game over if the protagonist dies, and the P3 protagonist is weak to Mudo skills.)

I was Eikichi

Nimby

Banned
Pretty much the entirety of the P3 cast was lacking characterization, besides Aigis. I don't see where Akihiko falls short compared to the rest of the cast either.

Just finished the latest SlinkFM episode

Pretty fun podcast! NichM is a pretty insightful dude; I loved hearing his little anecdotes (getting hugged by Kaneko? Like whoa!) and I got so much out of the PQ mechanical discussion; I love, love, love PQ's gameplay system, I really can't wait to play the game.

I also got a kick out of Levito saying he'd go with the P3 side first due to how Persona 3 is more "hardcore" than Persona 4. There's actually some truth to that statement because it is more hardcore than the P4 side. On risky, anyway (If you choose the risky difficulty, you get a game over if the protagonist dies, and the P3 protagonist is weak to Mudo skills.)

I was Eikichi

Oh shit, I should probably watch these things. PQ can't get here soon enough!

Not to mention his whole.
"Even if I could save my sister and best friend, I wouldn't. Because nothing in the past is a mistake."

I wasn't remembering that line.
Damn, he is completely pragmatic if he truly believes that. And I don't see that as a quality. If he is lying, using that argument just to strength his point, it makes him even worse.

I wasn't remembering that line.
Damn, he is completely pragmatic if he truly believes that. And I don't see that as a quality. If he is lying, using that argument just to strength his point, it makes him even worse.

You think that's bad, the way he tries to discourage Yukari is borderline gibberish.

Xenoflare

I remember I was legitimately confused with
Fuuka's persona evolution.

Not that I hate Natsuki, but we never heard from her much after saving Fuuka.

Compared to the P3's main cast.
P3's social links are even worse.

Nimby

Banned
Oh shit, I should probably watch these things. PQ can't get here soon enough!

I just blew my ears out, coming from those quiet voices then restarting my music :x

Joking aside, that was a very fun listen. I love Strange Journey, and am playing through it at the moment, and the first-person dungeon crawling is definitely the reason I love it so much. All this stuff about manual mapping made me all giddy, like you can't even imagine. That sounds like so much fun!

And the sub-personas sounds like it adds a lot of customization to the party, which I hated how lacking it was in Persona. Hopefully you can eventually null/repel some weaknesses and a few other elements of your choosing. I like the way you can customize your demons in SMT, hopefully PQ does the same.

Xenoflare

The best part for me in PQ is that all Personas actually are redesigned a bit to fit in the art style, which is really nice.

I really cannot wait to play it. November cannot come soon enough.

Nimby

Banned
The best part for me in PQ is that all Personas actually are redesigned a bit to fit in the art style, which is really nice.

I really cannot wait to play it. November cannot come soon enough.

They're not really redesigned are they? Just looks like they copy-pasted the 3D models from the PS2 games, or am I missing something?

The art inconsistencies never really bothered me. It pains me in SMT IV though, when they give certain demons their older designs despite having updated ones that look better, or even vice versa (I was very upset with the archangels and that ugly Soul Hackers Titania).

Yosuke's all "Dude, waffles?!" and Junpei's all like "Dude, waffles."

That sounds like a legit conversation Yosuke and Junpei would have.

Xenoflare

They're not really redesigned are they? Just looks like they copy-pasted the 3D models from the PS2 games, or am I missing something?

The art inconsistencies never really bothered me. It pains me in SMT IV though, when they give certain demons their older designs despite having updated ones that look better, or even vice versa (I was very upset with the archangels and that ugly Soul Hackers Titania).

I guess calling it a "redisign" would be off, it's just that they are altered to fit in with the style. They are definitely different.

Sophia

I am unsure if that speaks poorly of Yosuke-san and Junpei-san's choice of vocabulary in the English version.... or positively in regards to my ability to create impressions of Persona cast members. Due to the nature of this confusion, I shall instead perform my best Aigis impression.

Commencing impression mode.

Since my Persona Cosplayer's waffle house run is now official, I've decided to make some promo material for the event:
a5a99a2e89.png

STILL won't be the strangest cats you'll see at a WH at 1am. Not by a long shot.

I seriously hope all PQ's english dialogue is that level of dumbgreat.

Sophia

Man, the P3 cast are the whitest anime people I've ever seen, save for Mitsuru and Da Man.

Strictly speaking, red hair is a rare but technically possible trait among people of Japanese ancestry. However, it would appear to not be very common. Nor would it appear in such shades as demonstrated by the leader or by Chidori-san.

Also, it would appear that Aigis is modeled off the features of someone with Caucasian features. I am at a loss as to where Akihiko-san's grey hair comes from, however...

Whoa no.

No way.

Blue butterfly Titania is way better than green dress Titania.

I do not mean to, as they say, "butt in", but I do believe the Titania design with the green dress is what many would consider much more elegant.

You're allowed an opinion, but no. Those granny buns say no.

I do not mean to, as they say, "butt in", but I do believe the Titania design with the green dress is what many would consider much more elegant.

url-17.gif

Green dress Titania is the best Titania.

Bah. I knew I would get hate for that.

The blue one has an air of regality and grace. The green one feels mischievous. I prefer characters with the former air. It's the same reason I like Margaret more than Elizabeth.

Top Bottom