• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Mdesilva

Do I share my birthday today with any other PersonaGAF members? :>

(Sorry I've been forgetting to post lately, just not much to talk about).

arue

how did anybody hold down a full time job and still play any jrpgs ever

are you guys wizards

I'm a full-time student with a part-time work study in the campus. I also do commissions at home and still managed to play 3-4 hours a week. My grades suffered a bit from all these though >_>

Alright guys all wrapped up, the audience loved Persona 3. My prof was very intrigued by the evokers and he liked how Social Links work towards building up your persona, just like in real life aha. So long story short, the presentation was a success!

Kazzy

are you guys wizards

You kind of don't...

For reference, Danganronpa 2, which is kind of a long game at around 20(ish) hours, has taken me almost a month to finish. I almost exclusively play it on trains too (...thanks Japan?), for the most part.

Soulflarz

Banned
Alright guys my formal presentation, if anyone remembers me mentioning it, on Persona 3 is today, around 10:30 or so EST. So that's more or less in 4 hours. Wish me luck, I'll let you all know how it went!

Edit: oh hes done damn you auto updater :/

And yeah im enjoying lazy highschool while I still can

Do I share my birthday today with any other PersonaGAF members? :>

(Sorry I've been forgetting to post lately, just not much to talk about).

Happy Birthday!

Alright guys all wrapped up, the audience loved Persona 3. My prof was very intrigued by the evokers and he liked how Social Links work towards building up your persona, just like in real life aha. So long story short, the presentation was a success!

Nice. Maybe some of the audience will becomes fans and join GAF? jk

Edit: oh hes done damn you auto updater :/

And yeah im enjoying lazy highschool while I still can

I remember when I was in high school... less than a year ago. Best enjoy it while you still can, in my opinion university is quite a bit different in terms of work load and amount of free time(well I am in engineering and just finished my 3rd midterm out of 5, so I might be biased). Make sure you max those social links IRL.

Levito

Banned

are you guys wizards

I work full time and take a couple university classes in the evenings. Safe to say finding the time to play long RPGs is REALLY hard, I don't know how people can blast through a 30 hour RPG in a weekend. haha

kewlmyc

are you guys wizards

It's hard as shit. I'm trying to play through Dark Souls 2 now, and barely have the time. I beat Xillia 2 when it came out and for a month I had to spend my entire weekends playing it to do that. Plus it's only 30 hrs long, I have no idea how I'll manage a 90hr jrpg like P3 or P4 ever again unless it's handheld or remote play via my Vita.

Nice. Maybe some of the audience will becomes fans and join GAF? jk

Actually I mentioned how P3 is getting movie adaptations, and a bunch of the members of the audience came to me after class to tell me that they didn't have a Vita/PSP/PS3 but that they found the game so interesting that they are going to check the first movie out. I would say that on it's own means that I was successful aha.

are you guys wizards

I started pokemon y at the start of September. So far, i'm 4 hours in :/. Its gonna take a while.

When P5 arrives, im taking a week off, even though i know that wont be enough time to finish it.

I work full time and take a couple university classes in the evenings. Safe to say finding the time to play long RPGs is REALLY hard, I don't know how people can blast through a 30 hour RPG in a weekend. haha

I did the same thing a few years back. I had to cut down my hours to part time as it was just way too much for me to do a degree and work full-time hours. Massive respect to those that manage it though. Some people in my class had a fulltime job, had kids and were still doing university classes in the evening. Anythings possible if you have the willpower and determination.

Actually I mentioned how P3 is getting movie adaptations, and a bunch of the members of the audience came to me after class to tell me that they didn't have a Vita/PSP/PS3 but that they found the game so interesting that they are going to check the first movie out. I would say that on it's own means that I was successful aha.

That's cool. Very few friends that I talked to express any interest in the game. Though I didn't really explain much about the game outside of the fact you make friends to get stronger (one friend liked that, probably because he liked Kingdom Hearts), and the fact its a JRPG like Pokemon. But then you summon gods and stuff, so instead of Pikachu you're summoning Satan (I didn't actually use that example).

Also: Free advertising for Atlus? :p

I started pokemon y at the start of September. So far, i'm 4 hours in :/. Its gonna take a while.

When P5 arrives, im taking a week off, even though i know that wont be enough time to finish it.

I did the same thing a few years back. I had to cut down my hours to part time as it was just way too much for me to do a degree and work full-time hours. Massive respect to those that manage it though. Some people in my class had a fulltime job, had kids and were still doing university classes in the evening. Anythings possible if you have the willpower and determination.

Dang, sounds rough. I hear of people who have to take on jobs and study or have other responsibilities at the same time (I know my parents had to do a lot more than I do), I know I wouldn't be able to do anything like that. Just studying is pretty rough for me, though I suppose I do spend quite a bit of time goofing off that could probably be spent doing other things if I did ever get any motivation.

I personally don't play video games much in general anymore. Spend tons of time just browsing the Internet though for random things, listening to music, etc.

I hear ya on the goofing off part lol.

I guess it also depends on what type of learner you are. I know for me personally, I had to study like a madman just to understand "basic/intermediate" concepts in my degree.I needed those extra hours that part time work gave me. Ive never been the type of guy that could just read something over once and have it stick.

A friend of mine use to work insane fulltime hours (60+ a week) and also study. He use to learn all the course material a few days before an exam and pass with flying colors. Amazing how some people operate.

Tamanon

Banned
For about a year and a half, I did full-time work(about 50 hours a week) and 12 semester hours of classes. That wore me down quick and I really started calling into work sick just to catch up or get a reprieve. Made it through though.

Meia

So would there be any reason to play Persona 4 after Persona 4 Golden?

Only possible reason would be to hear what Chie and Teddie sounded like before Golden, since the original had different VAs. Well, that and the ability to play a version of P4 on a big screen(barring you own the Vita TV).

Iceburg

Neo Member
Only possible reason would be to hear what Chie and Teddie sounded like before Golden, since the original had different VAs. Well, that and the ability to play a version of P4 on a big screen(barring you own the Vita TV).

It's been a while since I played P4 and I remember the massive difference in Chie's voice, but I don't remember Teddie's old voice at all.

It's been a while since I played P4 and I remember the massive difference in Chie's voice, but I don't remember Teddie's old voice at all.

If I remember right, Wittenberg!Teddie is cute, Riegel!Teddie is cartoonish.
They both work, just for different reasons.
Also, Shadow Teddie is voiced differently.

Having started a full time job about 1 month ago I'm already feeling myself fall behind on games, it's crazy to think that from May last year to around June this year I was able to play P4G 3 times and P3 twice alongside other games whereas now it took me almost two weeks to beat Ultimax's story.

abrack08

are you guys wizards

Maybe I'm just lucky, but it's not that hard for me. I work full time (40 hrs/week) and still have 4-5 free hours a day I can play games in if I want to. I usually end up browsing GAF or watching TV/Netflix, but the option to play JRPGs is definitely there.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Music Box 2014's Ultimax postcard layout is different from the actual game's:
ykJaOfv.jpg

Iceburg

Neo Member
For P4G party:

Chie, Kanji and Teddie or Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie?

It's really up to personal preference because any party works just fine as long as there's a healer. The Chie, Kanji, and Teddie party would have a better damage output while the Yosuke, Kanji, Teddie party would be much more balanced in terms of magic vs physical damage, and has a nice spread of buffs, mainly Sukukaja from Yosuke. So for Burst damage go #1, for balance go #2.

Most importantly for best waifu go #1

I hear ya on the goofing off part lol.

I guess it also depends on what type of learner you are. I know for me personally, I had to study like a madman just to understand "basic/intermediate" concepts in my degree.I needed those extra hours that part time work gave me. Ive never been the type of guy that could just read something over once and have it stick.

A friend of mine use to work insane fulltime hours (60+ a week) and also study. He use to learn all the course material a few days before an exam and pass with flying colors. Amazing how some people operate.

For about a year and a half, I did full-time work(about 50 hours a week) and 12 semester hours of classes. That wore me down quick and I really started calling into work sick just to catch up or get a reprieve. Made it through though.

I go to school full time, this semester I have 19h/wk and on the weekend, I work part-time 16hr. I still manage, but I have almost no free time.

Dang, and I thought that the supposedly 60 hours of work/week for engineering was hard (estimated 30hr class work + 30hr studying, note that I'm not actually working that much yet in first year). I never even thought about ever working at all this study term. Y'all are great if you can manage time so well.

For P4G party:

Chie's magic becomes bad after a while, and all it's good for is hitting weaknesses (she stops at mabufu, bufula). Also, she is considered pretty bad midgame because she decides to stop learning any good single-target moves for a while (dunno if they fixed that). I am a bit biased against Chie though.

Yosuke is more balanced, and you can't really go wrong with him. Kitchen Knife is pretty good. Note that your second team is all guys so you can't take any advantage of any girl armor you find.

You could go Chie Yosuke and Kanji endgame for highest DPS (only endgame against bosses). Saw a video where I guy had really good RNG and killed one of the hardest bosses in 3 turns in Vanilla, though this feat is probably not possible anymore because the boss got buffed.

Acid08

Banned
Definitely echoing the sentiment that Chie/Kanji is redundant.

You should consider leveling everyone (using a main team + having the other characters catch up whenever possible) to keep your options open.
It's definitely redundant but the amount of fucking damage you do is insane.

My best party has been Yukiko/Kanji/Chie/MC. Someday I do want to try out Naoto and Teddie.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

are you guys wizards

I used to work long hours on weekends and was able to bring in handhelds and play them for the most part.

Now that I am no longer working them, I don't have as much time as I used to. Even transportation is out since it's a 10 minute subway ride to the station I get off for work.

I don't play that many RPGs anymore. My weekends are my best bet to at least get a good chunk in. (Except during football season where it's like "I play Video games"?").

For P4G party:

Chie, Chie and Chie.Galactic Punts for Everybody.

Why does Redacted's ground throw do such bad damage, when there's people like Ken (or maybe only him) that can combo after theirs without OMC? I understand the taunting, but I'm not sure about it from a balancing point of view. I suppose ground throws shouldn't be your main source of damage.

I like how characters pull their weapons out of nowhere in Arena. SMGs and shotgun for Naoto, fans for Yukiko, chairs for Kanji. I especially like Kanji's because you can see him reach behind his back.

FluxWaveZ

Why does Redacted's ground throw do such bad damage, when there's people like Ken (or maybe only him) that can combo after theirs without OMC? I understand the taunting, but I'm not sure about it from a balancing point of view. I suppose ground throws shouldn't be your main source of damage.

You can't compare one aspect of a character to another in isolation like that if you want to be objective about balance. If we're to only talk about throws—which I don't think is necessarily appropriate—[Redacted] has strong pressure via consistent block strings up close to the opponent and also has a standard command grab as a special. A stronger normal throw would make that close pressure that much stronger.

PK Gaming

I like how characters pull their weapons out of nowhere in Arena. SMGs and shotgun for Naoto, fans for Yukiko, chairs for Kanji. I especially like Kanji's because you can see him reach behind his back.

He trips you, then he laughs at you.

The physical damage might be low, but the mental damage is colossal.

Top Bottom