• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

You can't compare one aspect of a character to another in isolation like that if you want to be objective about balance. If we're to only talk about throws—which I don't think is necessarily appropriate—[Redacted] has strong pressure via consistent block strings up close to the opponent and also has a standard command grab as a special. A faster throw would make that close pressure that much stronger.

True. I completely forgot about the command grab too. I suppose that'd be like saying that Kanji needs better damage for his throw when he has his command grab. Also in general, are OMC combos off of throws powerful? In general I thought damage scaling kinda made it so the SP might not be worth it damage-wise unless you can kill someone with the combo or have lots of SP to burn.

It could be because I'm used to playing games where a lot of attributes of characters are similar, where most characters share basically the same throw outside of appearance and share some normals with similar properties. And of course I never played a fighting game that seriously/competitively.

It would probably be best if I actually ever played the game and tried characters out before asking things like this. I have no reference to compare anything to.

And Kanji was always best waifu.

tumblr_n8vxieGLYG1qkjbzro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8vxieGLYG1qkjbzro4_1280.jpg

Wish I played Golden.

FluxWaveZ

Adachi
doesn't really need his ground throw. His damage output in general is crazy strong.

I don't really think that's a proper reason. I wouldn't say his damage output is necessarily that significant compared to other characters, and some of them like Sho, Minazuki, Rise, Kanji, Yu, Margaret, etc. have throws that put them at stronger positions and do far more damage without meter than [Redacted].

FluxWaveZ

His Persona normals does crazy damage if it hits. It's almost a bit unfair.

Which of his Persona normals does dramatically more damage compared to that of other characters? This isn't even taking into account the character's very weak non-Persona normals, as well as the fact that they only have 4 cards and that their Persona is one of the more easily broken in the game.

Edit: Oh, I guess there's 2D and 5D... which really aren't unfair by any means because of the huge start-up.

Xenoflare

Which of his Persona normals does dramatically more damage compared to that of other characters? This isn't even taking into account the character's very weak non-Persona normals, as well as the fact that they only have 4 cards and that their Persona is one of the more easily broken in the game.

Edit: Oh, I guess there's 2D and 5D... which really aren't unfair by any means because of the huge start-up.

That's why I said it's a "bit" unfair, for people who never had experiences facing him, he can dish out a large amount of damage by doing nothing, especially his 5D it's kinda like Kanji's command grabs. (where it will be devastating yet not that hard to avoid once you see through the patterns)

But once you know how to deal with him, spammers will get his persona broken in no time.

FluxWaveZ

But once you know how to deal with him, spammers will get his persona broken in no time.

I guess, but pretty much every character (with a few exceptions) has powerful stuff they can just spam over and over again against people who don't know how to deal with them (Thanatos, Margaret, Minazuki teleports, Marie j.C, Yukari's 236A/B, Ken's 2C...). It just reminds me of people who would call Hadoukens or throws in Street Fighter unfair.

I don't even know why I should be talking considering I never touched the game, but is his mixup game as good as others (ex: Yu)?

Not as good as Yu because [Redacted]'s only ground overhead is their AoA and DP. AoA is terrible compared to Yu's and they also don't have 214B fake-outs. Yu also has a command grab special, and with more range. [Redacted]'s lows are their sweep and 214A/B, while Yu has 2A which leads to much more effective stuff.

I don't even know why I should be talking considering I never touched the game, but is his mixup game as good as others (ex: Yu)? He has a command grab, and his Furious Action has to be blocked standing then crouching. I'm not sure if it's significant that his crouching attack doesn't hit low, and that his range isn't incredible because he doesn't swing a sword around or any long weapon like that? I think he's pretty good based off of what I've seen (which admittedly probably wasn't the best, but the players seemed pretty good). It has nothing to do with gameplay, but I love how his Persona/special moves look though. His sprites are great too.

I guess, but pretty much every character (with a few exceptions) has powerful stuff they can just spam over and over again against people who don't know how to deal with them (Thanatos, Margaret, Minazuki teleports, Marie j.C, Yukari's 236A/B, Ken's 2C...). It just reminds me of people who would call Hadoukens or throws in Street Fighter unfair.

I remember playing with my brother in a few fighting games, and I was pretty much garbage at all of them lol. Wouldn't call it unfair, but I personally dislike zoning/keepaway. I think of the games I've played, it was most prevalent in SF, kind of bad in UMvC3 (note that I was a scrub so while there were things like Hawkeye w/ Hidden Missiles there was no ChrisG Morrigan stuff going on), and less in MK9 (1/2 the characters teleported). But then there's always something you can complain about for pretty much anyone: projectile spam, 'OP' command grabs, 'mindless' pressure and mixup, etc.

hao chi

Not as good as Yu because [Redacted]'s only ground overhead is their AoA and DP. AoA is terrible compared to Yu's and they also don't have 214B fake-outs. Yu also has a command grab special, and with more range. [Redacted]'s lows are their sweep and 214A/B, while Yu has 2A which leads to much more effective stuff.

I'd rather deal with Yu's command grab since it has much longer start up, plus doesn't have the possibility of leading to unblockable setups.

Agreed.... he's very stylish..... though all Arcsys's characters ooze with style, but something about him is just a bit unexpected.

Wait, I spoiler tagged the pictures, so people won't be able to see them unless they intentionally click on them right?

I don't mean he himself is exactly 'cool' (Persona attacks are a different story. Love Ghastly Wail and 5...C? The air grab thingy). But I guess there's a certain "charm" or something with P4

FluxWaveZ

I'd rather deal with Yu's command grab since it has much longer start up, plus doesn't have the possibility of leading to unblockable setups.

Yu's command grab should be easier to deal with for anyone because of the amount of start-up and how it's telegraphed.

That's pretty much what I said.

I was agreeing, if that wasn't clear. I mean that you're probably far from the only one who'd rather deal with Yu's command grab compared to [Redacted]'s.

hao chi

Yu's command grab should be easier to deal with for anyone because of the amount of start-up and how it's telegraphed.

That's pretty much what I said.

Adachi
and Minazuki's command grabs annoy the hell out of me because of how fast they are, but Yu's doesn't bother me very much, because even though it's a tool that Yu doesn't need at all, it's not hard to avoid if you're paying attention.

Dang, and I thought that the supposedly 60 hours of work/week for engineering was hard (estimated 30hr class work + 30hr studying, note that I'm not actually working that much yet in first year). I never even thought about ever working at all this study term. Y'all are great if you can manage time so well.

My schedule consists of waking up at 6, go to school, do any readings, labs, assignments, whatever until 7-8pm. From then until 11:30 it's free time aha.

Xenoflare

Wait, I spoiler tagged the pictures, so people won't be able to see them unless they intentionally click on them right?

I don't mean he himself is exactly 'cool' (Persona attacks are a different story. Love Ghastly Wail and 5...C? The air grab thingy). But I guess there's a certain "charm" or something with P4
acting insane/ like a psychopath half the time. Also pulling his sprites and stuff out of context makes it funny. Or maybe I'm really immature. I'll just dump a bunch of stuff here.

To elaborate my point, his shift between a sociopath and psychopath is well demonstrated within his move set.

I mean, the only move where he uses his gun is when he shoots people in the foot

I seriously think that censoring his name is a bit unnecessary, but it's courtesy I guess.

My schedule consists of waking up at 6, go to school, do any readings, labs, assignments, whatever until 7-8pm. From then until 11:30 it's free time aha.

Wow, that's harsh relative to what I do. I struggle to get up at 7:30, and my classes generally end at various times (on the shortest days 2:30, longest ones 5:30). Then I go homes and do "homework" for a little while and for some reason I generally end up goofing off until 1:30 - 2:30. Then the next day I end up sleep-deprived.

To elaborate my point, his shift between a sociopath and psychopath is well demonstrated within his move set.

I mean, the only move where he uses his gun is when he shoots people in the foot

I seriously think that censoring his name is a bit unnecessary, but it's courtesy I guess.

Yeah, it does get a bit annoying, but it's good for the people who didn't complete P4. I like how his 5AA is actually that poking animation he does in the original game. But, for example, his crouching anti-air isn't exactly the most graceful thing, even if it's a very powerful move for combos, etc. Neither is his lunge. Yet they are fitting for him. Of course, not everyone is graceful, but in general their moves look more... elegant? Yosuke is a pretty good example, because the writers seem to push that Yosuke purposely tries to be cool when he isn't all the time. Teddie is silly in general.

tumblr_mb63yxDofd1qll0ak.gif

Also I find the hops in combos a bit silly, seeing Redacted randomly hop on the ground while his Persona is attacking the enemy high off the ground with his...5C air grab?

sakuori

Looks like they've arranged an event in the Philippines with Ultimax as one of their tournament games.

I kinda' wanted to go and watch how it goes but I might have work to do. :C

I don't think so? Certainly not in the English version. Besides, he'd have a pretty difficult life if he was his age and not able to read any kanji at all...

I'm still in my first year of Japanese and I can already see what a colossal pain in the ass reading in kana all the time would be.

Sophia

I'm still in my first year of Japanese and I can already see what a colossal pain in the ass reading in kana all the time would be.

Yuuup. Welcome to the world of written Japanese. Pain in the ass.

Ultimax just outright stated it. Or he at least has trouble reading it.

It's entirely possible he doesn't know as many kanji as a young adult at his age should know. I don't remember the specific scene in Ultimax off the top of my head.

Usually, Japanese children learn around 1000-2000 kanji during their school lessons, and they're expected to know around this many in order to be fluent in writing and reading. Given Junpei's consistently bad grades, he's probably behind in that aspect too.

It's entirely possible he doesn't know as many kanji as a young adult at his age should know. I don't remember the specific scene in Ultimax off the top of my head.

It's when he gets off at the station and tries to read the sign for Inaba. It's part of an inner monologue, so it's easy to have missed.

Kazzy

Ultimax just outright stated it. Or he at least has trouble reading it.

Makes sense, seeing as he was never especially studious. It's something that students really have to focus on intensively throughout their education (for obvious reasons), and considering the sheer wealth of stuff to memorise and retain, I could see him knowing very little - particularly at this point. Also, I know a lot of people who simply don't retain a lot of it, because they simply don't need those particular characters. Some of it is really archaic, and outmoded.

I hear that.

Haha. When you first start the language, kanji is so intimidating and you kind of wonder why everything isn't just written in kana. Then you get farther in and it's like, "oh god, it really does have a purpose."

I find myself wishing I could turn kanji on selectively in Pokemon via a checklist of the ones I know.

Soulflarz

Banned
Haha. When you first start the language, kanji is so intimidating and you kind of wonder why everything isn't just written in kana. Then you get farther in and it's like, "oh god, it really does have a purpose."

I find myself wishing I could turn kanji on selectively in Pokemon via a checklist of the ones I know.

I really thought you meant kanji at first and i was confused :/

Given Junpei's consistently bad grades, he's probably behind in that aspect too.

Junpei's bad grades were more due to his not caring rather than a lack of intelligence, though. He actually does pretty well on the last exam once he hunkers down and studies.

I think the implication of that scene was more that Inaba's such a remote, old-fashioned town that the kanji used to write the sign were archaic and uncommon, hence his difficulty recognizing them.

Kazzy

I just really hate katakana. Some of the translations of words sound absolutely nonsensical - which often leads to me looking bemused, whilst I try to link it to the original word it was derived from.

I just really hate katakana. Some of the translations of words sound absolutely nonsensical - which often leads to me looking bemused, whilst I try to link it to the original word it was derived from.

Yes, this is fucking horrendous. Even after you get a handle on how stuff gets translated into katakana you can get lost sometimes because Japanese has so many fewer sounds than English and everything ends up sounding completely different.

Sophia

Junpei's bad grades were more due to his not caring rather than a lack of intelligence, though. He actually does pretty well on the last exam once he hunkers down and studies.

I think the implication of that scene was more that Inaba's such a remote, old-fashioned town that the kanji used to write the sign were archaic and uncommon, hence his difficulty recognizing them.

You're possibly right, but I like the idea of Junpei with a dunce cap better. :p

Kazzy

Yes, this is fucking horrendous. Even after you get a handle on how stuff gets translated into katakana you can get lost sometimes because Japanese has so many fewer sounds than English and everything ends up sounding completely different.

I remember when I first started - I'd translate something and still have no idea what it meant. Afterwards, my tutor would explain and laugh as I reacted in disgust, "THAT'S computer?!"

Well, enough of the PersonaGAF Japanese corner...

Question about female social links in p3 fes? Do all the romance/date social links start you in a relationship at level 1? Or do you have to get to a certain level before you officially start dating and the jealousy system kicks in? I heard in p4 you can choose to be "just friends" but in p3 you always have to romance.

Kazzy

Question about female social links in p3 fes? Do all the romance/date social links start you in a relationship at level 1? Or do you have to get to a certain level before you officially start dating and the jealousy system kicks in? I heard in p4 you can choose to be "just friends" but in p3 you always have to romance.

EDIT: oops, misread this as P3P. You're locked-in with vanilla. You need to romance at a certain point to finish their S-link. They all enter that phase at different levels, but they are all past the midway point.

You can opt in to a romance (which in itself, is an utterly bizarre thing to have to say!). Also, I remember Akihiro having various stages where you can miss the 'flags'.

In summary: You should shun Ken.

EDIT: oops, misread this as P3P. You're locked-in with vanilla. You need to romance at a certain point to finish their S-link. They all enter that phase at different levels, but they are all past the midway point.

You can opt in to a romance (which in itself, is an utterly bizarre thing to have to say!). Also, I remember Akihiro having various stages where you can miss the 'flags'.

In summary: You should shun Ken.

I assume that info is for the female route in p3p? Lol

Caladrius

I guess it's cause he's kinda crazy, but he gets a great variety of sprites and expressions.

I am personally fond of this one, because I don't even know know what her expression is supposed to be. Looks like she's sick or something.

tumblr_mmuwdltWjJ1s2jippo4_250.png

It's embarrassment, I'm pretty sure.

Soulflarz

Banned

I dont know if apparently I was lucky, but I completely disregarded the jealousy system and only reversed a single link and just mass dated in my persona games :p

Hell I was triple dating for the Eve of in p4

It's embarrassment, I'm pretty sure.

lol guess I was off by a lot.

I dont know if apparently I was lucky, but I completely disregarded the jealousy system and only reversed a single link and just mass dated in my persona games :p

Hell I was triple dating for the Eve of in p4

I don't think there were any negative things that happened in P4 if you dated everyone. There was Valentine's Day and some occasional Sunday events that got them mad if they met up (I think they revolved around Ai). Nothing that actually affected gameplay though. But P3 though...

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think there were any negative things that happened in P4 if you dated everyone. There was Valentine's Day and some occasional Sunday events that got them mad if they met up (I think they revolved around Ai). But P3 though...

P3 it seemed like they cared more. 4 they kind of actively encouraged it based on the fact one is needed for the extra bits and all.

P3 it seemed like they cared more. 4 they kind of actively encouraged it based on the fact one is needed for the extra bits and all.

Wait what? There's extra bits for dating specifically? Sorry if I didn't make it clear, just edited that, but what I was referring to gameplay. As in, no reversed Slinks. But yeah, there is extra dialogue at certain events. Outside of the previously mentioned ones I recall some dungeon talk where if you meet two girls you are dating in the dungeon they would be like "oh you were in his room too..."

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait what? There's extra bits for dating specifically? Sorry if I didn't make it clear, just edited that, but what I was referring to gameplay. As in, no reversed Slinks. But yeah, there is extra dialogue at certain events. Outside of the previously mentioned ones I recall some dungeon talk where if you meet two girls you are dating in the dungeon they would be like "oh you were in his room too..."

Well (I guesssss I'll tag it, not really a spoiler unless you dont want random p4g things)
I meant moreso the friendship with Marie which is basically dating but the game doesnt read it as anyone cares whatsoever.

Meia

Was already said, but there's a point halfway through every one of them where it tells you "the relationship is now intimate" or something to that effect. It's a different number in all of them, so I can't give specific numbers offhand. The "jealousy" system is around full time though I believe. In general, you never really want to do more than 2 female links at a time, and you NEVER want to have both of them romantic at the same time. So you'd have one go up 2-3 ranks, then the other go up 1, then you repeat this til you finish the first, the second then becomes intimate, and you start a fresh one. This is normally how the "max social link" guides handle this.

And yes, P3:Fes you have no choice in how the relationship is, in P4 and P3P(female route only) you do. A lot of the cut content that people found on the P4 disc involved reversed or broken links(with the female members, mainly) so it was probably a last minute thing that they decided to make the system simpler.

Soulflarz

Banned
A lot of the cut content that people found on the P4 disc involved reversed or broken links(with the female members, mainly) so it was probably a last minute thing that they decided to make the system simpler.

Im not complaining about more waif-
I mean, I wish they added the extra content :/
(lol the real diff between normal/hard mode)

Top Bottom