• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

kewlmyc

A lot of the voice acting in the Q clips don't seem to be of the greatest quality, maybe the sheer amount of dialogue rushed the direction.

It's still good enough for a spinoff with a (mostly) irrelevant story.

If you're talking about actual audio quality then it makes sense considering this is apparently the most voice acting work Atlus has done and the 3DS card space isn't much.

FluxWaveZ

Fortunately, I prefer Cindy Robinson to Mona Marshall. I think she's a good fit.

Ken might sound similar to Labrys, but it's not like it's been confirmed or anything. When probed on Twitter, Cindy Robinson had to ask who Ken was (whether jokingly or not, who knows).

PK Gaming

Ken might sound similar to Labrys, but it's not like it's been confirmed or anything. When probed on Twitter, Cindy Robinson had to ask who Ken was (whether jokingly or not, who knows).

Hmm, i'm gonna have to go with my gut on this one. It's definitely Cindy Robinson. The fact that she doesn't know who Ken is doesn't necessarily preclude her from having voiced him. It's possible that she might have just forgotten him, or perhaps she's simply not allowed to say that she voiced him?

84X

Banned
If you're talking about actual audio quality then it makes sense considering this is apparently the most voice acting work Atlus has done and the 3DS card space isn't much.

I just meant the way the lines are delivered. I personally think it's fine for the most part but in a few cases the tone seemed to be off in a way, but maybe that's just me.

Though as you said the amount of dialogue is apparently huge so whatever... I mean they're trying to get out a game that's already about 4 months old.

Hmm, i'm gonna have to go with my gut on this one. It's definitely Cindy Robinson. The fact that she doesn't know who Ken is doesn't necessarily preclude her from having voiced him. It's possible that she might have just forgotten him, or perhaps she's simply not allowed to say that she voiced him?

I'm going with either joking or forgotten. Given the other reveals of the cast changes, I'd be surprised if she wasn't allowed to reveal (or at least thought she wasn't).

Marche90

Seeing as how I'm basically hearing Labrys talking in the Ken trailer, I think I agree with you

Moonlight

Banned
Right, so there's a translation in progress going on of the Persona 3 Club Book. And... it's interesting? Thus far it's explained what Shadows are, what Nyx is, what the Kirijo group was doing in the original Shadow experiment. And... it's kind of twigging on how I'd previously understood the games? Sometimes even contradictory to what I'm pretty sure P2 and P4 established. And yet the translation insists it's all canon, since a lot of what it talks about would be established in FES, Arena, and 4 (although I had to laugh at how it mentions how Shadow Selves were foreshadowed here), but it's still sort of bugging me. Persona lore gurus may have at it.

Part 1
Part 2

Persona 3 spoilers, obviously.

...Nyx being everything all along, including Shadows, does not play well with my understanding at all. Does that make Nyx older and more powerful than Nyarlathotep and Philemon? How does all of this cooperate with P2's idea of Shadows and P4's idea of Shadows in general? This has honestly raised more questions than answers for me.

And for some reason I got the impression that Nyx and Izanami were fairly young gods in general, but I can't recall where I heard that or how steeped in reality that ever was, so that's probably less relevant.

...Nyx being everything all along, including Shadows, does not play well with my understanding at all. Does that make Nyx older and more powerful than Nyarlathotep and Philemon? How does all of this cooperate with P2's idea of Shadows and P4's idea of Shadows in general? This has honestly raised more questions than answers for me.

And for some reason I got the impression that Nyx and Izanami were fairly young gods in general, but I can't recall where I heard that or how steeped in reality that ever was, so that's probably less relevant.
P3 spoilers
To make this a bit easier to swallow, Ryoji mentions that Nyx was worshipped 'in ancient days'.

PK Gaming

Right, so there's a translation in progress going on of the Persona 3 Club Book. And... it's interesting? Thus far it's explained what Shadows are, what Nyx is, what the Kirijo group was doing in the original Shadow experiment. And... it's kind of twigging on how I'd previously understood the games? Sometimes even contradictory to what I'm pretty sure P2 and P4 established. And yet the translation insists it's all canon, since a lot of what it talks about would be established in FES, Arena, and 4 (although I had to laugh at how it mentions how Shadow Selves were foreshadowed here), but it's still sort of bugging me. Persona lore gurus may have at it.

Part 1
Part 2

SWEETNESS!

I've been pining for a Persona 3 fanbook translation for ages.

Can't wait to dig in.

EDIT:

Q: What are Shadows?

tumblr_inline_ndcj5bqoqh1t2gnmj.png

A good reason to use a flashlight.

tumblr_inline_ndb5nz6aFF1t2gnmj.png

The “S” was capitalized.

Yeah the Ken sounds more like Labrys. I don't remember the music clip used in Ken's battle section of the video, though I guess they did change a lot of the music used in the English translations of the trailers in general.

Also, maybe because it was a while before the game came out, but in Shinjiro's original Japanese trailer I can't seem to hear that music part in the outtake of the F.O.E. theme?

I think they recently used a part of F.O.E. in an English trailer, but that part is present in the song used in the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah.

Guys, I think we can mark it; Ken is definitely no longer voiced by Mona Marshall.

Fortunately, I prefer Cindy Robinson to Mona Marshall. I think she's a good fit.

Yup, that's not Mona. I just finished up P3P and the voice clips here are much different.

I think Naoto's voice is pretty awesome. I like it better than the previous ones.

One on other hand though, just horrible. And it's even worse for Ultimax. Uggh, why Cindy Robinson, whyyyy

Xenoflare

I think Naoto's voice is pretty awesome. I like it better than the previous ones.

One on other hand though, just horrible. And it's even worse for Ultimax. Uggh, why Cindy Robinson, whyyyy

One? If you are taking about Ken I think he's fine. I like Robinson FWIW, I loved her in Drakengard 3 and Virtue's Last Reward.

arue

English PQ trailers for Naoto and Ken are here.

Ken sure sounds a lot like Labrys here...

I think Ken sounds a lot better than he did in P3. I just compared his Japanese and English videos, and they both sound similar, especially when Ken yelled at Mitsuru.

As for Naoto's I think she sounds less feminine (which is good), but not as good as her Japanese counterpart. I guess I'm just spoiled by Romi Park's godly voice.

--

I know I'm waayy too late for this, but I really enjoy the S. Link episode with Nich. I didn't expect Radiant Historia to be mentioned at all; let alone as Nich's most rewarding work!

Thank you Nich and the S.Link crew for the podcast, it was really great.

Sophia

Part 1
Part 2

Some of this information was already out there, but it's a fascinating none the less. Especially the parts about Nyx

Also: Snarky Aigis is bestest Aigis!

So I finally restarted Persona 3 on Normal and man is the game WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier on this, I was able to get to the top floor of the first block on my second trip to Tartarus o.o guess I get a lot more nights of arcades and studying to get my social stats up

Part 1
Part 2

This is awesome, partly because it helped me understand some things better and partly cos of some of Aigis' responses.

Wasn't aware the Mitsuru's bike thing was answered before Ultimax, even if I guessed plume of dusk. :p

Sophia

I just want to say, one particular part of the club book is fascinating regarding the Dark Hour and the Midnight Channel. To quote, with spoilers for P1, P3, P4, P4A, and Ultimax:

Ikutsuki:Yes. Once a certain amount of Shadows has fused into a sufficiently powerful Shadow, it becomes able to access this potential. This power allows Shadows to manipulate space-time. As I have already explained to you earlier, Shadows gather in order to unite and return Nyx to power. However, unlike living beings, Shadows are existences of pure thought and emotion and do not possess a physical body. Thus, they usually cannot move or act freely in our world. In accordance with this, they need to create a sort of space outside of time, independent of the usual laws of space-time, in which, instead of human beings, Shadows can move freely. This can be accomplished with their ability to manipulate space-time.

Junpei: And that’s the Dark Hour, huh?

Ikutsuki: Exactly! Created by the Shadow’s latent abilities, the Dark Hour is a special state of space and time, that can not be interfered with by the usual laws of time and space. In return, this also means that the Shadows are unable to interfere with the living beings existing within normal space-time. Now, to explain Transmogrification, this phenomenon occurs in order to make sure people who are not located within the Dark Hour are not affected by it. Due to this, they only appear as symbols without identity, featureless coffins, while the Dark Hour is in effect. The hard, metal exterior of the coffins symbolizes protection from the Shadows, a shell to avert harm from them.

It's interesting how this explanation works for the Midnight Channel as well, although warping space-time in a rather different way than the Dark Hour. This also applies to the red fog in Ultimax, which allows the Shadows to form in the real world in that specific locaiton. With Marie protecting the townsfolks, of course. Essentially, they're all the same type of world, but just warped in different manners due to different results. Heck, this explanation also works for the DEVA System in Persona 1. The DEVA system is explicitly stated as something that can shift matter into a special form/state. Kandori linking the system to Maki gave her shadow the ability to warp Space-Time, creating the imaginary alternative world we see in the SEBEC route.

I just want to say, one particular part of the club book is fascinating regarding the Dark Hour and the Midnight Channel. To quote, with spoilers for P1, P3, P4, P4A, and Ultimax:

It's interesting how this explanation works for the Midnight Channel as well, although warping space-time in a rather different way than the Dark Hour. This also applies to the red fog in Ultimax, which allows the Shadows to form in the real world in that specific locaiton. With Marie protecting the townsfolks, of course. Essentially, they're all the same type of world, but just warped in different manners due to different results. Heck, this explanation also works for the DEVA System in Persona 1. The DEVA system is explicitly stated as something that can shift matter into a special form/state. Kandori linking the system to Maki gave her shadow the ability to warp Space-Time, creating the imaginary alternative world we see in the SEBEC route.

Damn I need to finish Persona 1 ;__;

So my restart of Perona 3 FES and I'm basically back to where I was after I lost my progress (a few days before mid term exams). Amazing how much faster a game can go when you skip all the text and cut scenes :p

Enjoying things far more now that I understand how to best make use of my time (social links during the day -> social stats at night and only occasional trips to Tartarus).

Also I almost impulse ordered P3P more so for the convenience of being able to play it at work during my breaks then wanting full party control/female route/not as punishing fatigue.

Style

Banned

Part 1
Part 2

Woah, this is pretty interesting and answers many unanswered questions!

Caladrius

I'm led to believe shadows' distortion power come from Mr. "fucks up Sumaru city with magic rumors" Nyarlathotep.

If so that pretty conclusively links all the games together then. The mystery is solved...maybe

Sophia

I'm led to believe shadows' distortion power come from Mr. "fucks up Sumaru city with magic rumors" Nyarlathotep.

If so that pretty conclusively links all the games together then. The mystery is solved...maybe

Well there wasn't really much of a mystery to be solved. A lot of what is in the club book is either been assumed by fans or inferred in some manner for years. The part about Shadows warping Space Time was kind of implied in P3 during the cutscene where you learn about Mitsuru's grandfather. It's just never explicitly stated in such detail as the book did. The origin of Nyx is was totally unique at the time of the book's release tho..

There's a little bit of retconning in P1 with later games regarding Shadows too, not to mention the Wild Card which we just discussed at lengths in IRC.

I really hope after the release of Persona 5 we get like a big encyclopedia book. That would be fantastic. I want all the story details in one place, as a way to easily reference and explain stuff.

Setsu00

Well there wasn't really much of a mystery to be solved. A lot of what is in the club book is either been assumed by fans or inferred in some manner for years. The part about Shadows warping Space Time was kind of implied in P3 during the cutscene where you learn about Mitsuru's grandfather. It's just never explicitly stated in such detail as the book did. The origin of Nyx is was totally unique at the time of the book's release tho..

There's a little bit of retconning in P1 with later games regarding Shadows too, not to mention the Wild Card which we just discussed at lengths in IRC.

I really hope after the release of Persona 5 we get like a big encyclopedia book. That would be fantastic. I want all the story details in one place, as a way to easily reference and explain stuff.

... and there'll never be an official translation of it. :(

Dantis

A completely random thought, but it's weird how Aigis' FES redesign is never acknowledged in... well... anything. I know she went back to normal afterwards, but it's not like there's even much FES art of it outside of this one illustration.

I actually thought it was a super cool design, but the way they justified it in the story was so stupid.

Alright guys my formal presentation, if anyone remembers me mentioning it, on Persona 3 is today, around 10:30 or so EST. So that's more or less in 4 hours. Wish me luck, I'll let you all know how it went!

Top Bottom