• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Got a link? I love SHO puns :p

Sorry, but there isn't any specific blog I got from the pun from. It was just back when I was looking stuff up for persona on tumblr. I literally searched for persona or persona arena or something like that.

I just checked, but if you have tumblr you can just search for 'persona sho' and chances are you'll find a great deal of puns.

I'll just dump some random ones.

tumblr_n6srfw1JQy1trk026o1_1280.png
Lewd

Well you get the idea. There's a lot of them basically.

Vylash

I'm guessing you liked Marie, or the animation? In general quite a few people didn't enjoy it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like Marie being so prominent and the other members of the cast being overshadowed. Sometimes the team members of the IT would be present and not really say anything outside of a few words or 'Marie'. Have you read any of the comments made by other members of gaf? Some are in this thread, and others can be found on the thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852616

both actually, but i get the feeling i'm the only one

both actually, but i get the feeling i'm the only one

Well, even as someone who liked a few episodes, I think I'm in the minority. I generally enjoyed at least one part of each episode, except for a couple of exceptions. While I enjoyed those parts, usually it wasn't worth watching the entirety of the episode though (I ended up skipping parts because I didn't like what I was seeing. Generally what I didn't like seeing was Marie stealing the show, though I am biased against her).

From what I've read on these forums during the airing of the shows, in general people disliked Marie more and more as time marched on. Even those that didn't dislike her in the game ended up disliking her presence in the anime.

LX_Theo

Banned
Eh, I like Marie and her involvement in show wasn't bad bar probably around 4 or so episodes where they tried WAY too hard with his involvement. It really did work pretty well at first, but even as a Marie supporter they drove it into the ground later on.

Gonna pop out for dinner soon. Where SHOuld i go?

Pizza. My friends and I are getting it for our weekly movie night. Everyone SHOuld join in on the pizza train.

Eh, I like Marie and her involvement in show wasn't bad bar probably around 4 or so episodes where they tried WAY too hard with his involvement. It really did work pretty well at first, but even as a Marie supporter they drove it into the ground later on.

Pizza. My friends and I are getting it for our weekly movie night. Everyone SHOuld join in on the pizza train.

(I'm guessing by the fact we're still using sho puns that we don't care if someone's brain eats itself)

It was tolerable at first, but some episodes I didn't like. Valentine's day is reserved for Marie when we all secretly wanted Yu to go the pimp route or hang out with the dudes. Same with the skiing episode, where all Yu does is think about Marie for that episode, and the writers go the route of going back alone when he SHOuld have gone with someone else.

I also found it sappy(?) that everyone's saying how they made great memories just because Marie always used to talk about memories. I don't think it's necessary for them to state that they made a good memory after something fun happens.

I did like how the previous episodes and events linked to her
taking their memories and going to the Hollow Forest
like the recording thing.

LX_Theo

Banned
(I'm guessing by the fact we're still using sho puns that we don't care if someone's brain eats itself)
fo'sho
It was tolerable at first, but some episodes I didn't like. Valentine's day is reserved for Marie when we all secretly wanted Yu to go the pimp route or hang out with the dudes. Same with the skiing episode, where all Yu does is think about Marie for that episode, and the writers go the route of going back alone when he SHOuld have gone with someone else.

I also found it sappy(?) that everyone's saying how they made great memories just because Marie always used to talk about memories. I don't think it's necessary for them to state that they made a good memory after something fun happens.

I did like how the previous episodes and events linked to her
taking their memories and going to the Hollow Forest
like the recording thing.

I just think it was handled badly. I feel as though they would have been better off having her tag along like she did in the early episodes, and have a subtle build up to where the story slowly focused in on this character that was apart of the group. Instead of that subtle change, they went guns blazing and made her the focal point of every event, let alone the entire episode. Once they did that (I suppose I'd say they started crossing that line with the band episode), the episodes (
bar the Adachi episodes
) went downhill in quality fast. .

fo'sho

I just think it was handled badly. I feel as though they would have been better off having her tag along like she did in the early episodes, and have a subtle build up to where the story slowly focused in on this character that was apart of the group. Instead of that subtle change, they went guns blazing and made her the focal point of every event, let alone the entire episode. Once they did that (I suppose I'd say they started crossing that line with the band episode), the episodes (
bar the Adachi episodes
) went downhill in quality fast. .

Yeah, I think I remember people saying that she essentially became the secondary protagonist. People didn't call it Marie the Animation for nothing.

I did like the Christmas episode though, and that was after those two episodes. But it's hardly a Golden episode, because outside the last 5 minutes it would fit perfectly in the first anime.

I remember someone suggested trying to merge the original and this anime so everything goes chronologically to spread out the Marie exposure over a longer period of time, and at first I thought it would be an interesting idea too. But it still wouldn't feel natural because it would become Marie in your face one episode and she would cease to exist in the next. Plus some things outright contradict each other (for example, the final battle is almost objectively better in the first anime than this one. Redacted fight wasn't bad in Golden anime but the following fight is a huge letdown compared to the first, even if it was somewhat cheesy).

Vylash

Well, even as someone who liked a few episodes, I think I'm in the minority. I generally enjoyed at least one part of each episode, except for a couple of exceptions. While I enjoyed those parts, usually it wasn't worth watching the entirety of the episode though (I ended up skipping parts because I didn't like what I was seeing. Generally what I didn't like seeing was Marie stealing the show, though I am biased against her).

From what I've read on these forums during the airing of the shows, in general people disliked Marie more and more as time marched on. Even those that didn't dislike her in the game ended up disliking her presence in the anime.

I still have to watch the last 2 episodes, but I thought they did a great job of making Marie feel like a part of the cast instead of an add on like in Golden

Dantis

Dear lord those are hideous.

This is why they shouldn't let anyone except Soejima design outfits.

Ugh. Now I hope the protagonist is Sho and that the guy with the glasses is killed by whatever he's staring at five minutes into the game.

Hmm? Why?

or is it just his propped collar
Narukami has a popped collar in about two pieces of official art. For allllll the rest of it (Including in the actual game), it is not popped.

84X

Banned
I still have to watch the last 2 episodes, but I thought they did a great job of making Marie feel like a part of the cast instead of an add on like in Golden

Didn't they just shit on all the other characters to make her seem better?
I mean Rise had like one big scene in golden and the animation just gave it to Marie...

Dantis

I mean Rise had like one big scene in golden and the animation just gave it to Marie...

To be fair, it's not like the new scenes in Golden improved anything or anyone, they were just (mostly) harmless fluff.

P4GA just changed the focus of them. Which, admittedly, made them worse, but whatever.

Nimby

Banned
Random: I am surprised at how good Matt sounds as Kanji.

Oh and 39 days until the best spin-off sho's up on my doorstep. The wait is becoming agonizing.

84X

Banned
To be fair, it's not like the new scenes in Golden improved anything or anyone, they were just (mostly) harmless fluff.

P4GA just changed the focus of them. Which, admittedly, made them worse, but whatever.

I understand but even though the scenes were fluff, giving them to Marie seemed like a cheap way to increase her importance.
Really that particular scene stood out to me because Marie singing didn't make any sense; I wouldn't have cared if she was in the background or whatever.

Dantis

I understand but even though the scenes were fluff, giving them to Marie seemed like a cheap way to increase her importance.
Really that particular scene stood out to me because Marie singing didn't make any sense; I wouldn't have cared if she was in the background or whatever.

I agree completely, though that particular scene is one that makes me want to smash my Vita every time I play Golden, and so completely ruining it made me feel nothing.

84X

Banned
I agree completely, though that particular scene is one that makes me want to smash my Vita every time I play Golden, and so completely ruining it made me feel nothing.

Yeah I know the scene has mixed reception in general, I just like it because Laura Bailey sings.

You as hyped for PQ as I am, or do I have the release dates wrong?

I'm going to cry when I have to pay for the CE and console (which I shouldn't be getting anyways).

Vylash

I love Marie so I honestly had no problems with this, was actually pretty cool seeing her mixed into so many things, they even put her in the quiz show and tied the questions into being about the true meaning of memories which was pretty great

Busaiku

So is Mara really the sole reason why Persona 4 is M.
With Persona 3, I can understand otherwise, since everyone's shooting themselves.

With Persona 3, I can understand otherwise, since everyone's shooting themselves.

Language and sexuality probably also paid a part in it. Arena and Ultimax had it, but I doubt the format presented it in a way that made it M worthy.

Iceburg

Neo Member
Random: I am surprised at how good Matt sounds as Kanji.

My thoughts exactly everytime I hear him. Not only is it just a good job he pretty much recreates the voice exactly. I didn't know it wasn't Troy Baker anymore until after I had watched the whole animation. I never noticed the switch.

I've got P4G qued up for when I finish Ultimax. Hopefully I'll be among the regulars, because as much as Rise irritates me, I'll never deny that Laura Bailey is a great VA.

If you can look past the fact that the IT learns how to play instruments in 2 days, which I found pretty easy to do, I think it's a great funny little scene. I would also love to hear Laura Bailey's full cover of True Story.

Language and sexuality probably also paid a part in it. Arena and Ultimax had it, but I doubt the format presented it in a way that made it M worthy.
Sexuality was a large part of it, along with Mara you had Incubus(who has an exposed Mara) and Succubus, which had descriptions in their compendium profiles saying...
"A female/male demon of European lore in medieval times. They visit sleeping men/women and have sexual intercourse with them; the victims don't wake up, but may dream of the encounter."
Along with those you also the personas Lilim, Lilith, Satan, Undine, and few other personas that had exposed breasts. There's also Kanji's and Rise's dunegons/shadows/bosses who were very overt in sexual tones.

Dear lord those are hideous.

This is why they shouldn't let anyone except Soejima design outfits.

Hmm? Why?

Narukami has a popped collar in about two pieces of official art. For allllll the rest of it (Including in the actual game), it is not popped.

I honestly didn't even know there was anything wrong with his collar playing through the game the first time. I thought I just never noticed, because after playing through the game and looking up stuff before my NG+ I noticed quite a few people online talking about it/making fun of it.

Ex:

tumblr_nb8x6iDYpW1qdlep2o1_500.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLNOXkc7nk&list=UUgDKI6KzoCTj2ZL77iDJiRQ

Afterwards I just assumed it was something that was always associated with him, like his swag. But I guess there's really no reason to do that, like how people are associating the P5 protagonist with the chair

I never played Golden. I enjoyed most of the new scenes that I could find on youtube. I didn't like the actual concert itself though, I skipped that scene, but the events leading up to it were pretty good. I disliked the new springs event with Marie, never liked the original one either.

So is accuracy of spells determined by the Persona's speed vs the enemies speed? Cause I've missed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many ice attacks against the Arqa Block first boss

Caladrius

So is accuracy of spells determined by the Persona's speed vs the enemies speed? Cause I've missed WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many ice attacks against the Arqa Block first boss

No, I'm pretty sure speed just determines turn order. Might be luck that does it. Not much that can really be done about it other than using sukukaja/Masukukaja

Holy crap, Other Teddie is scary looking.

That's why he's the best.

Soulflarz

Banned
I just realized something sad. I'll never get to replay persona 4 golden again from scratch with no knowledge of whats going to happen. This is kinda a sad fact to think about, seeing how much I loved it. I loved persona 3 for its amazing story, but 4 had that addictive quality in terms of the social aspect I loved. While I'd recommend 3 over 4 generally, If I had to replay one without any knowledge, Id do 4. *sigh*

Meia

How do I get better at freaking %s? LOL Persona 3 FES just hates me between getting crit killed in the very first battle and now missing 4 times in a row with bufu -.-

The only thing I want to say is that multi target spells have a higher miss rate. Not 100% sure on that though(I think that idea has come up before though).

How do I get better at freaking %s? LOL Persona 3 FES just hates me between getting crit killed in the very first battle and now missing 4 times in a row with bufu -.-

Yeah that happens sometimes. Can't really do much about it, it's RNG. Random is random. Got me quite a bit at the beginning of SMT Nocturne and P3P, though it could be because I was playing hard mode. I think Megaten games are known for it, especially the older SMT games. Satan in DDS2 (I think), Hitoshura in DDS1, I'm not too sure about the others. Would like to say this one boss Alciel in Nocturne which had a move Sol Niger that always hits and reduces your team's HP to one, and then he gets a second turn, but I fortunately was never hit by his second move. Also, as you've experienced, physical crits multiple times in succession, and possibly light and dark spells (until you're later in the game with a lot more personas and resistances to choose from, so you block a lot more elements).

I assume you're not far since you are still using bufu, so you have to rely on sukukaja for raising one characters' hit rate and sukunda for lowering an enemy's dodge rate, as stated below. Later you can get masukukaja that targets all your allies and masukunda that targets all enemies. Also auto versions of sukukja and masukukaja, which start encounters with those cast on you (best really for random encounters).

No, I'm pretty sure speed just determines turn order. Might be luck that does it. Not much that can really be done about it other than using sukukaja/Masukukaja

That's why he's the best.

Does anyone really know what Luck does specifically? Is it everything RNG based (drops, chests, hit/dodge rate)? And is there any formula like there is for damage?

And I always liked Shadow Teddie the most out of all the Shadows. His appearance, but also the stuff he says is more philosophical in my opinion, about ignorance = bliss etc.

Top Bottom