• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

Apropos of nothing: Do a lot of people here really have a problem with the concept of Evokers? I know it's common to joke about how things are so edgy, dark or whatever, but I really don't have a problem with them. Sure they were a bit surprising at first—especially with Persona 3's first cutscene with Yukari and the running sink—but as a way to invoke one's inner self and distinguish Persona summoning from the past games, it was great.

I found it aesthetically appealing too, like when the P3MC's head would reel back when preparing a powerful attack or how each character had a unique way of holding their Evoker. Holding a gun to one's head also gave summoning one's Persona much more weight than the other games, making it a big deal when it happens (making scenes like Junpei's resolution, for example, have a different vibe than they'd have if it was breaking cards instead).

Also as a non sequitur to a non sequitur: I wouldn't have an issue if Persona 5's summoning method was literally taking a selfie (as long as the execution was good). A modern, popularized way to project one's ideal self to the public? That sounds pretty cogent.

A test video found in Persona Q's files. All it is is just Aigis dancing behind a SMPTE color bar.
I find it cool....>_>

That's pretty great.

Acid08

Banned
Apropos of nothing: Do a lot of people here really have a problem with the concept of Evokers? I know it's common to joke about how things are so edgy, dark or whatever, but I really don't have a problem with them. Sure they were a bit surprising at first—especially with Persona 3's first cutscene with Yukari and the running sink—but as a way to invoke one's inner self and distinguish Persona summoning from the past games, it was great.

I found it aesthetically appealing too, like when the P3MC's head would reel back when preparing a powerful attack or how each character had a unique way of holding their Evoker. Holding a gun to one's head also gave summoning one's Persona much more weight than the other games, making it a big deal when it happens (making scenes like Junpei's resolution, for example, have a different vibe than they'd have if it was breaking cards instead).

Also as a non sequitur to a non sequitur: I wouldn't have an issue if Persona 5's summoning method was literally taking a selfie (as long as the execution was good). A modern, popularized way to project one's ideal self to the public? That sounds pretty cogent.

That's pretty great.
The Evokers were one of the things that got me interested in P3 when it first came out, I thought they were super cool.

Then one of my favorite things about them in game is the way each character wields theirs differently.

PK Gaming

Yeah, Evokers are pretty fantastic. There's that obvious tie in to the game's overall message, but I love how they're justified in-universe as well. A Persona can only be summoned when someone resolves to face their own mortality head on, and what better way to facilitate that by pointing a gun shaped object to one's head?

It's great because it's not a vague concept. Guns are scary (duh), and the idea of pointing an evoker to your own head and pulling the trigger is downright terrifying. That's why the player can sympathize with Yukari at the beginning of Persona 3. She's aware of the fact that it's not a gun, but it's still scary. She's still afraid of facing death head on, or entering a world where death is a constant reality. What's especially cool is that the P3 protagonist heavily contrasts with Yukari (perhaps intentionally). He has less resistance when using an evoker. If you take the movie into account, then it's because he isn't afraid of death.

And finally, the animation is just so stylish. The loud BOOM followed by the glass shattering sound effect is just so... ♪

s0LLkMX.gif

Evokers could have been super silly and edgy, but the way they were utilized really made them shine. They fit the tone of P3 and were handled with the proper gravitas for the story. Each character's unique evoking added that special touch that made the Evokers feel like they belonged. Even though the out-of-context imagery could be considered a bit too heavy, I think P3 made it work.

When it was first brought up a while back, I dismissed the "selfie" persona summoning. That's just too silly!, I thought. But now that I've mulled it over, I wouldn't be too opposed to it. I'm sure each character could bring a unique style to the capture and I feel like it would it fit in naturally with the urban city theme (assuming that's it from the trailer). Capturing your "self" with a picture (on your own terms) as a way to show yourself off to the world feels like something Persona would do. Group photos for team attacks! :p

All this talk about evokers has me thinking.

So the theme of P3 is 'Memento Mori' - 'Remember, you will die', which ties into the game's themes of mortality and facing death and finding a reason for living etc etc, and the evokers again help symbolise this as PK mentioned above.

So I was thinking, what if P4 had to have a physical 'thing' for summoning instead of just breaking the cards, what would it be?

Considering that some of the main themes for P4 are finding the truth, not seeking comfort in lies and facing your true self, what could have been used as their version of an evoker?

Any thoughts?

Acid08

Banned

So the theme of P3 is 'Memento Mori' - 'Remember, you will die', which ties into the game's themes of mortality and facing death and finding a reason for living etc etc, and the evokers again help symbolise this as PK mentioned above.

So I was thinking, what if P4 had to have a physical 'thing' for summoning instead of just breaking the cards, what would it be?

Considering that some of the main themes for P4 are finding the truth, not seeking comfort in lies and facing your true self, what could have been used as their version of an evoker?

Any thoughts?

Only thing I can think of would be mirrors(face yourself blahblah). No idea how that would actually work, reflect out the Persona maybe? :p

Dantis

So I was looking at my preorder for PQ, and apparently if I get the US one, it won't arrive for a while, so it would make more sense to just get the UK one. Shame that I'll have to play it on my shitty small 3DS though.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
MC, Akihiko and Mitsuru all use their evokers with flare.

Seeing how many misses Die for me! gets in that gif has annoyed me.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Only thing I can think of would be mirrors(face yourself blahblah). No idea how that would actually work, reflect out the Persona maybe? :p

Fix makeup, snap shut compact 'PERSONA'.

MC would totally have a compact to keep that majestic mane in check.

Any thoughts?

Though it had nothing to do with the actual summoning, I always thought the P4 equivalent was wearing glasses. If you are far sighted, you can't see your own physical flaws in the mirror and you can't seek information through reading. To wear glasses is to make the decision to see what's actually in front of you, despite whatever deficiencies you may have.

Moonlight

Banned
I think my favourite part of Evokers aren't really the whole premise by itself, but how they extrapolated on how it reflected back on the characters. Everyone in the game had different animations when they were evoking (like Yukari puts it right up to her forehead with both hands on the gun, Junpei strikes a bit of a pose, etc), and they said really small, but appreciated details about the character's outlook and personality. It's obviously something P4 really went full-bore on, but I appreciated the subtle distinction in P3, especially as it was something that I don't think they really needed to do.

Evokers were neat for symbolic reasons but the in-universe justifications for them was kind of silly. After a certain time spent using them the fear inducing effect would go away. Akihiko and Mitsuru handle theirs like complete pros and hardly react at all and Junpei almost looks like he treats it like a joke. So I'm not really sure exactly what they do...? But they're cool looking and are one of P3's better symbolic visuals, certainly better than the Dark Hour's oogy-boogy blood on the walls and coffins business.

EDIT:
Haven't been here in a while, finally got around to playing Ultimax. Really don't care for how Yukari and Junpei are depicted, like, at all. Mitsuru and Akihiko just dressed like goobers.

Dantis

Evokers were neat for symbolic reasons but the in-universe justifications for them was kind of silly. After a certain time spent using them the fear inducing effect would go away. Akihiko and Mitsuru handle theirs like complete pros and hardly react at all and Junpei almost looks like he treats it like a joke. So I'm not really sure exactly what they do...? But they're cool looking and are one of P3's better symbolic visuals, certainly better than the Dark Hour's oogy-boogy blood on the walls and coffins business.

EDIT:
Haven't been here in a while, finally got around to playing Ultimax. Really don't care for how Yukari and Junpei are depicted, like, at all. Mitsuru and Akihiko just dressed like goobers.

The in-universe explanation for a lot of Persona 3 and 4 stuff is bad. Like I say all the time, the games are largely symbolic.

Evokers are there for the player's benefit, not the characters'.

I really like the use of evokers. As others have said, it really helped to give a sense of individual characters in battle, because they each used the evokers a little bit differently. I think what made this so effective was that it was a physical object being used in a familiar (if a little morose) way. There have been, and will be, real life instances of someone putting a gun to their head. There will not be an instance of someone shattering a floating card (outside of cosplay I guess), so despite how cool P4's summoning animation was I still prefer P3. Hope they go back to using some kind of physical object, like that selfie idea, for P5.

PK Gaming

EDIT:

I don't really agree with this. While the mechanics of evokers are unclear, pulling the trigger clearly causes a recoil effect. To that end, even an experienced evoker user would fear the impending burst of energy, just like how'd someone would mentally recoil at getting their blood taken at the Hospital (even if it's a regular occurrence for them). Or, to put it another way; does an athlete or a singer not feel pressure when performing? It's the same deal. No matter how many times you summon a Persona to fight a shadow, you're never quite ready (especially since you're putting your life on the line). With that said, some of the evoker animations definitely should have changed. Yukari for instance, has no reason to use same evoker animation after a certain point.

Re: Junpei

I don't think he's treating it as a joke, but rather, he's firing the evoker without thinking of the consequences. It's not really apparent ingame because of the low quality models, but the movie makes it clear that he's being reckless. I mean it makes sense; he spends a portion of the game being a, wannabee hero after all. That said, he should have also gotten a new evoker animation after a certain point in the narrative.

By the way, what did you think of Rise's Persona evolution scene in Ultimax?

It was terrible

arue

Hope they go back to using some kind of physical object, like that selfie idea, for P5.
Please no selfies in P5. I'd rather have the characters summon Personas through cellphones, like in Devil Survivor 2.

Who knows, maybe Atlus will come up with something unexpectedly cool like they did with the evokers.

I think Evokers are lame but fine and don't wish them back...simply because I associate P3 with them. I find P4's method to be symbolically matching with the other games in the series and the theming of the series as a whole, so I don't mind if that remains the method for all other games going forward.

84X

Banned
Evokers reminded me too much of something out of an angsty teenager fan fiction... but maybe not as well written.

All the power to you if you liked them though.

FluxWaveZ

Another point that hasn't been brought up concerning Evokers: having a physical means of summoning a Persona made the opening scene of The Answer all the more poignant. Lends Persona summoning a different quality than an inherent power that will always be with them, as well as tying the group together in a small way just like their armbands did.

Evokers reminded me too much of something out of an angsty teenager fan fiction... but maybe not as well written.

That's pretty much the thing I'm talking about; Persona 3 wasn't an angsty teenager fan fiction, was it? How is it that now anything dour is often just dismissed as "edgy", despite whatever context it might fit in? Hell, there are probably people who see the ball and chains as a symbol for P5, as well as red for its thematic color, and say stuff like "2edgy4me", without taking into account how it might be justified within the game or expanded upon. It's all taken at face value. It's perplexing.

84X

Banned
I said the evokers seemed like something out of a fan fiction, not that the entire narrative of P3 was such.

If it makes you feel better I can be blunt and say that evokers were stupid and added nothing of significance beyond looking cool.
Whatever floats your boat though.

FluxWaveZ

I said the evokers seemed like something out of a fan fiction, not that the entire narrative of P3 was such.

If it makes you feel better I can be blunt and say that evokers were stupid and added nothing of significance beyond looking cool.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Like, an element out of fan fiction inserted into a story that isn't fan ficiton is still an element that is applied to a wholly different context. At least, what I personally believe is that that element changes drastically depending on its context, and shouldn't be judged in isolation because of associations it might have to another context. That's just my opinion though, and you're free to your own.

The second sounds like a better criticism of it, so I can understand why you wouldn't like them for that reason.

LX_Theo

Banned

They were symbolic. It was thematically fitting. They added significant context to how the Personas worked.

Just saying, but saying they added nothing ignores a ton.

I don't really agree with this. While the mechanics of evokers are unclear, pulling the trigger clearly causes a recoil effect. To that end, even an experienced evoker user would fear the impending burst of energy, just like how'd someone would mentally recoil at getting their blood taken at the Hospital (even if it's a regular occurrence for them). Or, to put it another way; does an athlete or a singer not feel pressure when performing? It's the same deal. No matter how many times you summon a Persona to fight a shadow, you're never quite ready (especially since you're putting your life on the line). With that said, some of the evoker animations definitely should have changed. Yukari for instance, has no reason to use same evoker animation after a certain point.

Re: Junpei

I don't think he's treating it as a joke, but rather, he's firing the evoker without thinking of the consequences. It's not really apparent ingame because of the low quality models, but the movie makes it clear that he's being reckless. I mean it makes sense; he spends a portion of the game being a, wannabee hero after all. That said, he should have also gotten a new evoker animation after a certain point in the narrative.

By the way, what did you think of Rise's Persona evolution scene in Ultimax?

It was terrible

I suppose that all makes sense, but that makes me wonder--I can't remember where I heard the explanation for the Evokers. I don't recall it ever coming up in any meaningful fashion in Persona 3 itself, but it's been nearly a year since I played it and I can't remember too well. I do still think that someone getting so used to the Evoker that they stop having any real reaction to it is something that probably would happen to somebody eventually and that sounds like an interesting story angle. Or maybe the opposite--maybe Yukari could have learned to appreciate Mitsuru more if they delved into the fact that the Evoker still gives her that kind of reaction even though she had been using them her whole life.

And concerning the story, there is no story to Ultimax as far as I'm concerned. Or rather, I haven't even started it and am not really looking forward to it. I've barely played the game at all, but enough to know that I don't like how Yukari and Junpei are depicted in battle. They combine the ridiculous outfits of Mitsuru and Akihiko with even more dumb bs on top of it. Junpei is "baseball baseball baseball baseball" to the point that it pervades his entire fightstyle down to his silly gimmick. And then Yukari is flipping around in a costume fighting with a prop and announcing her attacks like she's playing her character on tv. She doesn't feel like Yukari. It's too much, to the point that it puts me off playing as them.

PK Gaming

I suppose that all makes sense, but that makes me wonder--I can't remember where I heard the explanation for the Evokers. I don't recall it ever coming up in any meaningful fashion in Persona 3 itself, but it's been nearly a year since I played it and I can't remember too well. I do still think that someone getting so used to the Evoker that they stop having any real reaction to it is something that probably would happen to somebody eventually and that sounds like an interesting story angle. Or maybe the opposite--maybe Yukari could have learned to appreciate Mitsuru more if they delved into the fact that the Evoker still gives her that kind of reaction even though she had been using them her whole life.

Persona 3 sadly never goes over the exact mechanics of the evoker. It's a definite sour spot for me since it's integral towards summoning a Persona. I agree though, they definitely should have given incorporated into more story beats. For example, I was hoping they go over how Takaya doesn't fight with an evoker, but nothing of note ever comes out of that.

And concerning the story, there is no story to Ultimax as far as I'm concerned. Or rather, I haven't even started it and am not really looking forward to it. I've barely played the game at all, but enough to know that I don't like how Yukari and Junpei are depicted in battle. They combine the ridiculous outfits of Mitsuru and Akihiko with even more dumb bs on top of it. Junpei is "baseball baseball baseball baseball" to the point that it pervades his entire fightstyle down to his silly gimmick. And then Yukari is flipping around in a costume fighting with a prop and announcing her attacks like she's playing her character on tv. She doesn't feel like Yukari. It's too much, to the point that it puts me off playing as them.

Ah. Brace yourself for the worst.

Persona 3 sadly never goes over the exact mechanics of the evoker. It's a definite sour spot for me since it's integral towards summoning a Persona. I agree though, they definitely should have given incorporated into more story beats. For example, I was hoping they go over how Takaya doesn't fight with an evoker, but nothing of note ever comes out of that.

I genuinely cannot remember where this came from, I may just be pulling it out of my arse, but whatever.

It's mentioned somewhere that it is possible to summon a persona without an evoker, but it takes a lot of concentration or something. The evoker is a tool used to make it easier to summon, but it's not entirely necessary for the process.

The only thing I can think of is that Takaya is able to summon without one because of his determination to see
Nyx come to life and destroy the world

But, again, I dont know why this is in my head or where it came from and it could be completely false.

84X

Banned
They were symbolic. It was thematically fitting. They added significant context to how the Personas worked.

Just saying, but saying they added nothing ignores a ton.

Maybe I should have said they added nothing that any other object (within reason) couldn't provide, and I'd still argue that the symbolism is a lot more insignificant than you'd like to believe.

It might be a small point but I also dislike how evokers seem inconsistent with the series as a whole. As such, I think I'd like evokers more if P3 was a standalone thing (which I guess it kinda was at the time).

Dantis

This is the complete opposite to how I feel. I'd rather we never know.

HOW ABOUT A GIRAFFE SUIT? THEN I CAN SHIP HER WITH YOSUKE!

I'm guessing that they're some joke I'm unaware of about Yosuke's neck, similar to the ones about Junpei (and maybe Aigis if I'm remembering correctly)?

Also I thought evokers were cool and kind of fit with the in-game theme. But smashing tarot cards seems more of a general thing for the persona series, seeing as how the arcana are featured in all of the games. I probably wouldn't be able to say how crushing/breaking tarot cards has anything to do with finding the truth in P4, but I could probably say how shooting yourself in the head has to do with Memento Mori in P3.

MC, Akihiko and Mitsuru all use their evokers with flare.

Seeing how many misses Die for me! gets in that gif has annoyed me.

Given your name, I'm not surprised about being annoyed. It's kind of common to miss a lot with those spells in P3 though.

Acid08

Banned
I'm guessing that they're some joke I'm unaware of about Yosuke's neck, similar to the ones about Junpei (and maybe Aigis if I'm remembering correctly)?

Also I thought evokers were cool and kind of fit with the in-game theme. But smashing tarot cards seems more of a general thing for the persona series, seeing as how the arcana are featured in all of the games. I probably wouldn't be able to say how crushing/breaking tarot cards has anything to do with finding the truth in P4, but I could probably say how shooting yourself in the head has to do with Memento Mori in P3.

Given your name, I'm not surprised about being annoyed. It's kind of common to miss a lot with those spells in P3 though.

that's a terrible giraffe

edit: well actually it's a terrible giraffe because it's actually a dinosaur

whoops

LX_Theo

Banned
Maybe I should have said they added nothing that any other object (within reason) couldn't provide, and I'd still argue that the symbolism is a lot more insignificant than you'd like to believe.

It might be a small point but I also dislike how evokers seem inconsistent with the series as a whole. As such, I think I'd like evokers more if P3 was a standalone thing (which I guess it kinda was at the time).

Well, I think you're getting dangerously close to trying to speak for me. I disagree with your statements on several fronts. But I'll drop this myself now. I don't really care enough to drag something like this on.

Dantis

This is amazing.

that's a terrible giraffe

edit: well actually it's a terrible giraffe because it's actually a dinosaur

whoops

This is literally my favourite post.

I didn't go in expecting much but I was still incredibly disappointed.

To be honest, i'm actually really looking forward to your opinion on it, haha.

Huh. I hadn't realised that you were so down on it.

I haven't actually gotten around to playing Ultimax.

I expect nothing more than a lulz-worthy excuse plot.

It has some good moments. But it also introduced a character that I like less than Marie.

I thought the slink spoilercast had it right by saying the story was something you would expect out of Naruto

Top Bottom