• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Chie would probably be more entertaining as a meat butcher. She could wear an apron covered in cow blood and have a special "steak meter" that would power her up every time she eats some. But if she doesn't eat it enough she complains about not eating steak.

And Naoto would probably be more entertaining if she rode on a robot man who could transform into a motorcycle.

lol

PK Gaming

While I can definitely sympathize with wanting the P3 characters to have movesets that are more inline with their P3 selves, I think there's some merit to the direction that P4A took in regards to some of the movesets. Yukari for instance, has a fairly vanilla moveset that doesn't fully transfer into a fighting game, so having it reworked to incorporate things like arrow flips and what not at least makes for an interesting and compelling moveset. At the very least, none of the P3 movesets are as egregious as Teddie's moveset.

ku203_05.png

I've complained about this character before. But still, it bears repeating: Fuck P4A Teddie

Teddie's P4A moveset is the most slapdash, arbitrary nonsense ever. It barely conveys way Teddie fights in P4. I get that his moveset isn't exactly the easiest thing to adapt (healing and support) and Mitsuru's got Ice on lockdown... but still, I think they could have done better than... this:

LoyJjxU.gif

(Because this is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a fighting game moveset for Teddie)

Now admittedly, there's some good in there: Teddievision, 2D Teddie and the new Nihil Hand super are awesome moves that do a good job of bringing some of the things associated with his character to life, but any goodwill those moves built up are rendered null when you realize that his moveset incorporates one of the most infuriating gimmicks in 2D fighting games. Items. Goddamn items. His gameplay is predicated on abusing these stupid items.

(What the hell is this, Smash Brothers?)

Teddie isn't even the best character in P4AU, but still doesn't change the fact that items are inherently dumb. I'd take any (and I mean any) gimmick over friggin items.

And the less said about this mess of a super, the better.

All in all, P4A Teddie is obnoxious. His moveset is obnoxious aesthetically. And he's obnoxious competitively. Just the worst.

I think the only character's moveset I have any real issue with is Junpei's because it takes the baseball thing way too far to the point that I don't think it has much at all to do with Junpei's established character. He kind of swung his sword like a crude bat, wore a hat, and mentioned he liked baseball like two times... and now he's dressed as a baseball player, fights solely with a bat, nearly every move he has is a pastiche of baseball, and he has a gimmick derived from a baseball scorecard. No, that's too much.

I'm fine with the other P3 characters' movesets. Like... Mitsuru fights how I would think she should in a fighting game. I just don't like how they're depicted visually and stuff. And Yukari pretending she's still acting in a TV show just rubs me in the absolute worst way. Her lines are so wrong that it absolutely actively puts me off playing her, which sucks because she's a) my favorite character in Persona 3 and b) actually kind of fun to play as. It's like... girl, you're fighting with a fucking prop.

And I actually am fine with Teddie's moveset. He should be obnoxious because Teddie's supposed to be obnoxious and I think his offbeat characterization lends itself to the goofy cartoon nonsense he pulls. It's not really true to his fighting style in the game, which was bland anyway, but I think it's pretty true to his character. In a realm of what are (ostensibly, until Arena shat on the P3 characters) actual human beings, he's this Who Framed Roger Rabbit toon from another world.

P4A came out before Golden right? So Teddie's present move in Golden is based off of his items in arena, Yukiko's Burning Petals is based on her IK, Naoto's Shield of Justice based off of her move, etc.?

I agree with letting Teddie have some Ice attacks, especially since Chie has no Ice attacks. I think Mitsuru is the only real ice user? (I don't count Elizabeth because she uses every type, and only 1 move per element) Meanwhile there's many more characters that use electric. Maybe his moveset could have revolved around his other support skills and healing in addition to a bit of Ice? Idk but of all the characters Teddie suits the goofy moves (mainly his normals I think) best. Especially making the TV's pop up, which he actually does in-game.

Actually now that I think about it when Yosuke was the only real wind user in the game, wasn't his only wind move really Garudyne? Of course it's not that it really matters that the elements are distributed evenly or that characters use their respective elements much, since there aren't any weaknesses or anything like that.

Are Teddie's items completely random?

PK Gaming

I think the only character's moveset I have any real issue with is Junpei's because it takes the baseball thing way too far to the point that I don't think it has much at all to do with Junpei's established character. He kind of swung his sword like a crude bat, wore a hat, and mentioned he liked baseball like two times... and now he's dressed as a baseball player, fights solely with a bat, nearly every move he has is a pastiche of baseball, and he has a gimmick derived from a baseball scorecard. No, that's too much.

I'm fine with the other P3 characters' movesets. Like... Mitsuru fights how I would think she should in a fighting game. I just don't like how they're depicted visually and stuff. And Yukari pretending she's still acting in a TV show just rubs me in the absolute worst way. Her lines are so wrong that it absolutely actively puts me off playing her, which sucks because she's a) my favorite character in Persona 3 and b) actually kind of fun to play as. It's like... girl, you're fighting with a fucking prop.

And I actually am fine with Teddie's moveset. He should be obnoxious because Teddie's supposed to be obnoxious and I think his offbeat characterization lends itself to the goofy cartoon nonsense he pulls. It's not really true to his fighting style in the game, which was bland anyway, but I think it's pretty true to his character. In a realm of what are (ostensibly, until Arena shat on the P3 characters) actual human beings, he's this Who Framed Roger Rabbit toon from another world.

Yeah, I wish Yukari would turn off the super sentai lingo while fighting as well. It'd be fine if she mentioned it once or twice, but it's permeated her entire moveset...

As for Teddie, I think they could have made him goofy without relying on items OR haphazard normals. I'll be the first to admit that this is a minority opinion, considering I despise items and I heavily dislike Arena Teddie in general.

I do wish Teddie had a few more Ice attacks. Otherwise I like most of his moveset.

PK, you're fired.

You don't understand, I really, really, really hate P4A Teddie.

Caladrius

You don't understand, I really, really, really hate P4A Teddie.

I do agree his characterization in it is yucky.
Not least because it pairs him with Labrys for some reason, as opposed to his one true love. :V

That said I find him fun to play as and against. Then again my favorite fighting game Character is Mr. Game and Watch, so eh.

Dantis

So, make your bets when we'll see P4D again. Personally, I don't think we'll see anything of P5 or P4D until January.

2C

Also, we're stuck in the "complain about P4A" part of the Persona Community cycle again. Or, "complain about Persona in general", looking back a bit. Whichever.
Yep.

I've never felt more at home.

Setsu00

So, make your bets when we'll see P4D again. Personally, I don't think we'll see anything of P5 or P4D until January.

Yep.

Is that PlayStation Experience thing happening in Japan or somewhere else? If it goes down in Japan, I'd say we might see one of those games there.

FluxWaveZ

Yep.

Eh, personally constant complaining and negativity turns me off of looking at a thread. I tend to avoid several Gaming Discussion threads because that's all that goes on in them. It gets boring, and I've seen it more in this one than other Community Threads I visit.

Is that PlayStation Experience thing happening in Japan or somewhere else? If it goes down in Japan, I'd say we might see one of those games there.

Las Vegas. An incomplete list of developers attending has been shown for it, and Atlus isn't on it.

Also, we're definitely seeing P4D or P5 again before the end of this year. Hell, we're probably going to see Persona 5 during today's Nintendo Direct.

arue

I hope we get to see Persona 5 or P4D in the Playstation Experience. It's in December, so it would be the right time to show something before the year ends.

Teddie's human form works well as a joke and a way to get Teddie more actively involved in the other characters' real world antics but beyond that it's inferior to his normal form.

I have a question: was that whole thing about EU not getting DLC for Persona 4 Ultimax true?

My most awaited character was Margaret, so I think I'll pass if this is true. :s

At least Labrys will confort me in the darkest nights of ... dark.

Xenoflare

Back to Persona 5 costumes

I think Gekkoukan and Yasogami uniforms are must haves, imagine those uniforms in P5 with proper character models.

Back to Persona 5 costumes

I think Gekkoukan and Yasogami uniforms are must haves, imagine those uniforms in P5 with proper character models.

Stock Gekkoukan and Yasogami uniforms should be included in the game, just like they did with P4G.
If they were costumes of the P3/P4 characters, then I'd accept them being DLC.

Teddie's human form works well as a joke and a way to get Teddie more actively involved in the other characters' real world antics but beyond that it's inferior to his normal form.

Yeah, Teddie being a bear from the TV world is his character. I prefer to not trade that for male marie.

arue

If you guys have a Facebook account, please vote for the charity art that you would like to be printed for Michelle Ann Dunphy's charity event!

All you need to do is to comment "Print" or something like that on the art you want to get printed.
Top 5 arts to have the most print comments will be printed for the auction.

More info.

Acid08

Banned
If you guys have a Facebook account, please vote for the charity art that you would like to be printed for Michelle Ann Dunphy's charity event!

All you need to do is to comment "Print" or something like that on the art you want to get printed.

More info.
Thanks for sharing, did my part!

FluxWaveZ

When PS4 was announced as a platform for P5 after its initial announcement, my first thought concerning the reason why was "Sony", but now I'm thinking "Sega."
“Sega released Yakuza at the PlayStation 4’s launch, so they have some know-how when it comes to making software for the current generation consoles, which I believe we can share as needed,” says Sugino.

He continues, “Compared to Atlus, Sega are on a much bigger scale [as developers], and our respective know-how is completely different. They’re much more advanced than us when it comes to tools and middleware.”

Sugino also explains that if you look at the bigger picture, the Sega Sammy group has various small companies within it, all with their own expertise; so if Atlus felt the need to get something done a certain way, they could always ask Sega Sammy.
Forgot about that.

Games known in active development at Atlus:
  1. Etrian Odyssey II Untold: The Knight of Fafnir (November 27, 2014)
  2. Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (January 29, 2015)
  3. Persona 4: Dancing All Night (TBA 2015)
  4. Persona 5 (TBA 2015)
  5. Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (TBA 2015)
  6. [Unknown] (TBA 2017)
  7. New IP (or several?) (TBA)
*Trademarked: Deviliser and Asraga Adventure Chronicle.
**Team Maniax is in preparatory/active development on a game.

Bunch of stuff for their 200 (121 full-time) employee operation.

PK Gaming

More info.

Thanks for the heads up!

Caladrius

I din't care about Teddie at all as a mascot. He doesn't really start developing much at all until
his shadow battle
and the fish-out-of-water plot started.

When PS4 was announced as a platform for P5 after its initial announcement, my first thought concerning the reason why was "Sony", but now I'm thinking "Sega."

Forgot about that.
Bunch of stuff for their 200 (121 full-time) employee operation.

Hopefully this is a good sign that SEGA are going to push it hard.

Meia

Teddie using items totally makes sense! Remember that like one time he gives you items? Ya know, that one time before that first dungeon and he never does it again? It totally fits!

Caladrius

Teddie using items totally makes sense! Remember that like one time he gives you items? Ya know, that one time before that first dungeon and he never does it again? It totally fits!

It's really all a metaphor for how he wants to give you the goods. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Xenoflare

What is Elizabeth's GG/BB counterpart
seriously the fact that she's bottom tier is making me so sad

Haven't picked up arena in a while. Finally got to Golden Elizabeth on Hard in Golden Arena with her and she regenerates health faster than my damage output.

At least I have dekaja which prevents her from using Diarahan........

Xenoflare

Chie would probably be more entertaining as a meat butcher. She could wear an apron covered in cow blood and have a special "steak meter" that would power her up every time she eats some. But if she doesn't eat it enough she complains about not eating steak.

And Naoto would probably be more entertaining if she rode on a robot man who could transform into a motorcycle.

lol

I secretly hoped that
motorcycle robot man actually is an Arena character, too bad Arena is about "canon"

Top Bottom