• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

D-Man

So I know a lot of you guys like Danganronpa though I never played it...

Did you see the edited Persona Q opening with it (that contains spoilers)? Must take a lot of time, effort and dedication to do something like that, and people who played it would probably appreciate it alot more than me. As I have never played it, I don't know if there are any spoilers in the opening, nor do I know who any of the characters are.

I actually saw that about a week ago and absolutely loved it. The DR 1 & 2 characters fit the PQ art style super well and as a big fan of both series, it was a very enjoyable video to watch. It's also hella spoilery, but the others already said that.

So I know a lot of you guys like Danganronpa though I never played it...

Did you see the edited Persona Q opening with it (that contains spoilers)? Must take a lot of time, effort and dedication to do something like that, and people who played it would probably appreciate it alot more than me. As I have never played it, I don't know if there are any spoilers in the opening, nor do I know who any of the characters are .

Spoilers everywhere! But goddamnit if you had told me that this was an official thing, I would of totally believed it. Whoever made this certainly did take their time. Here's hoping it doesn't get taken down for copyright infringement or something lol!

PK Gaming

I just hope they make Labrys a decent character

I always shed great big tears when I look at her on the character select screen

tumblr_m2ghxmhl181qc3tu4.png

FluxWaveZ

Maybe they'll add the P3 protagonist; BBCP 2.0 added two new characters after all (well, 1.5)...
HAHAHA

A substantial change to Shadows is pretty much one of the big things I wanted to see, so it's cool that that's being done. Some minor changes all around, to normal characters too, could be pretty great. It'd be pretty funny if Shadow Marie was actually added in.

All I'm hoping from this patch is that shadow frenzy is reworked, because certain characters are pretty OP with it.

That's not the issue... it's more like some characters are pretty useless with it. Aside from Shadow Mitsuru or Shadow Chie, the damage from Shadow Frenzy combos is generally what a normal character would be doing anyways with some meter. They're volatile, but none of the Shadows can be called "OP", especially considering they don't have a Burst, they don't have Awakening and we're talking about Persona.

Shadow Ken having a Burst indicator in that screenshot is already a good thing, if you ask me.

I'm not that smart, but are you implying that shadows in general should have it or specifically shadow ken? I don't recall Ken, or many others outside of a few, being especially good, just Chie, Naoto, Mitsuru, Yu. Maybe Kanji for the ability to chain dizzy-state into burn to a crisp at the end of his combo or junpei to get lots of runs or victory cry in one combo, but that's really all I can think of.

If that burst can function like a normal burst outside of a couple changes (maybe only during frenzy or something like that?), then that would make things more even vs the normal counterparts, though if all shadows can use it then it doesn't really balance the shadows vs each other. Not the best source, I know, but eventhubs tier list puts shadows lower than their other counterparts for most of the characters. Note that if anyone wants to check, be aware of spoilers for P3/P4.

PK Gaming

That's not the issue... it's more like some characters are pretty useless with it. Aside from Shadow Mitsuru or Shadow Chie, the damage from Shadow Frenzy combos is generally what a normal character would be doing anyways with some meter. They're volatile, but none of the Shadows can be called "OP", especially considering they don't have a Burst, they don't have Awakening and we're talking about Persona.

For the most part, you're right, but Shadow Naoto, Shadow Chie and Shadow Mitsuru definitely need tweaking. Shadow Naoto's ability to use Shadow Burst combos that put an opponent in a situation where they have to guess the mixup or die is absurd to the highest degree. Similarly, Shadow Chie / Shadow Mitsuru's ludicrous damage needs to be addressed as well. I'm not calling for a severe nerf, but their shadow burst damage should be set around Shadow Narukami's damage, imo.

FluxWaveZ

For the most part, you're right, but Shadow Naoto, Shadow Chie and Shadow Mitsuru definitely need tweaking. Shadow Naoto's ability to use Shadow Burst combos that put an opponent in a situation where they have to guess the mixup or die is absurd to the highest degree. Similarly, Shadow Chie / Shadow Mitsuru's ludicrous damage needs to be addressed as well. I'm not calling for a severe nerf, but their shadow burst damage should be set around Shadow Narukami's damage, imo.

I'll give you Shadow Naoto, sure. But, then again, I wouldn't say she's OP, either (same for Chie or Mitsuru). They're just insanely volatile, having the ability to swing the momentum of a match insanely in the opposite direction it was heading towards in a moment. But that's not necessarily a good thing, heh, and I agree that a tweak towards their volatility would be good.

I want it.

Sophia

I'm not that smart, but are you implying that shadows in general should have it or specifically shadow ken? I don't recall Ken, or many others outside of a few, being especially good, just Chie, Naoto, Mitsuru, Yu. Maybe Kanji for the ability to chain dizzy-state into burn to a crisp at the end of his combo or junpei to get lots of runs or victory cry in one combo, but that's really all I can think of.

If that burst can function like a normal burst outside of a couple changes (maybe only during frenzy or something like that?), then that would make things more even vs the normal counterparts, though if all shadows can use it then it doesn't really balance the shadows vs each other. Not the best source, I know, but eventhubs tier list puts shadows lower than their other counterparts for most of the characters. Note that if anyone wants to check, be aware of spoilers for P3/P4.

You're over-thinking things. I'm merely saying that the presence of the indicator in the first place shows that they're willing to significantly overhaul how Shadow types work in the name of balance. :p

I want it.

Maybe she'll write good poetry. Or at least be aware of how bad hers is.

You're over-thinking things. I'm merely saying that the presence of the indicator in the first place shows that they're willing to significantly overhaul how Shadow types work in the name of balance. :p

Maybe she'll write good poetry. Or at least be aware of how bad hers is.

Ok my bad.

You know who I want? Shadow [Redacted].

Instant Magatsu Mandala

...Ha

haha

Ahahahahahahahahahah

Yeah I was thinking that too, for the most rage possible. Also like the idea of launching the opponent really high into the air multiple times in succession during shadow frenzy if that's even possible, like chaining together heat risers and magatsu mandalas.

A man can dream right?

Golden Arena Mode exists for craziness like that.

True. Makes me want the game more. I think this was stated before, but it would be neat(?) if they had something like Heroes and Heralds of uMvC3 where you could take your broken characters to fight against each other. I suppose there is boss mode?

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I was thinking that too, for the most rage possible. Also like the idea of launching the opponent really high into the air multiple times in succession during shadow frenzy if that's even possible, like chaining together heat risers and magatsu mandalas.

A man can dream right?

Golden Arena Mode exists for craziness like that.

Rhapsody

Banned
You know who I want? Shadow [Redacted].

Instant Magatsu Mandala

...Ha

haha

Ahahahahahahahahahah

You just want to see the world burn D:

I would love to see it though, but I don't want to ruin an opportunity of what might be P4U2's last chance lol

As for the topic of balancing shadows... if it was really a lazy addition of bursts, I don't like that. I've already expressed elsewhere that that really isn't the issue for Shadows. It'll help them (in ways not absolutely necessary) but it won't fix all the problems for most Shadows.

Hi guys

Never played any of persona games before, but GAF hype + P5 announcement got me really interested in this series. So, which one should I play first?

Dantis

Hi guys

Never played any of persona games before, but GAF hype + P5 announcement got me really interested in this series. So, which one should I play first?

Persona 4 or Persona 4 Golden is the most accessible way to get into the series, easily.

In order of which would be most important in my opinion: Persona 4/Golden > Persona 3 FES > Persona 3 Portable > Persona 2 Innocent Sin > Persona (PSP) > Persona 2 Eternal Punishment

Walshy

Hi guys

Play P3 first.

I've recently only just completed it, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I don't even consider myself a big fan of either Anime or JRPGs either, but Persona (or SMT in general) is an amazing series.

Plus you can really appreciate the updates they have done with P4G.

P3 first yes. Not just because it is my favorite but because, I won't lie, gameplay and mechanically P4G is a better game. If you go from P4G to P3P or P3FES, trust me you will feel the difference, and that might impact the game in a negative way for you. That being said, P3 isn't a bad game, it is just older than P4G and you being a newcomer, regressing in terms of gameplay might kill the appeal of it.

Tl;dr play P3 then P4, P4 is better gameplay wise, while for me personally, P3 had the more interesting story.

Walshy

I liked The Answer... but if one can't stand the heat, they should at least watch the cutscenes on Youtube or something.
I thought The Answer ruined some character development, mainly with Yukari and Junpei + there was alot of grinding.

Although, Aigis's growth in The Answer was great.

Andrefpvs

Going through The Answer didn't bother me, since I was at a time where I couldn't get enough of P3.

Also, the final battles were worth experiencing (okay, the soundtrack to the final battles was worth experiencing).

FluxWaveZ

I thought The Answer ruined some character development, mainly with Yukari and Junpei + there was alot of grinding.

Although, Aigis's growth in The Answer was great.

Yukari I can understand (though she was understandably on edge throughout the whole thing), but Junpei was practically the best character in The Answer. His development after the end of The Journey was fantastic.

holysan

I somehow regret that I chose P3P over FES. Having played P4G already, it’s just not the same when the only thing you ever see are the portraits of your characters whenever some shit happens. And while it’s cool that the game is super-fast, since there’s no running in the town, the overall presentation of P4G was more to my liking. It also sucks that there are no SL options for your male team-members (I play with the male MC), especially after having a fun time with Brosuke.

Meia

Yukari's attitude in the Answer I can see grating, but people thinking it lowered her character either didn't finish the Answer, or kind of missed what was going on with her character. Her social link in 3 actually plays a big part of her Answer appearance...

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I personally loved Yukari's arc in The Answer. Just thought it was really refreshing to have a party member portrayed that way, especially when you hear the reason behind it. Michelle Ruff does a great job of those scenes too.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yukari's attitude in the Answer I can see grating, but people thinking it lowered her character either didn't finish the Answer, or kind of missed what was going on with her character. Her social link in 3 actually plays a big part of her Answer appearance...

Yeah, I found it annoying, nothing else. P3>P3Answer for Yukari

I admit I may have been among those people first time through FES, considering that I got her to rank 1/2 and stopped. In my time through female route I'm farther (think rank 6?)

FluxWaveZ

What.

Are you actually serious?

You know that feeling when you've been up for 20 hours and haven't started on an assignment that counts for 20% of your grade, and you wonder whether it's worth powering through or failing the class to get some sleep, but you're the type to always power through things even when you really don't want to so even though you spend the next 2 hours staring into a void balancing these two possibilities against each other, you always knew that the former was an inevitability so, as the will of causality would naturally direct it, you start and finish the assignment within a period of 4-5 hours running on pure instinct, and when you're done with it and print it out you practically don't even know what you wrote, but it'll probably turn out fine since this scenario has been repeated again, and again, and again?

It's kinda like that.

Top Bottom