• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

"Chie is dead!" is hilarious sounding, I love how direct it is.

That topic in Gaming side about characters who age throughout a game made me think--I think it would be neat to see characters in a Persona change throughout the year, and not just a change in wardrobe to suit the weather. Like, losing weight, or getting a haircut, or deciding on a different fashion style, things like that.

Like, what if Yosuke showed up mid-September with really short hair and everyone got to give him a hard time over an ugly haircut or something.

LX_Theo

Banned

That topic in Gaming side about characters who age throughout a game made me think--I think it would be neat to see characters in a Persona change throughout the year, and not just a change in wardrobe to suit the weather. Like, losing weight, or getting a haircut, or deciding on a different fashion style, things like that.

Like, what if Yosuke showed up mid-September with really short hair and everyone got to give him a hard time over an ugly haircut or something.

Cool idea. Unfortunately, an iconic, consistent look is much more marketable.

Not a bad idea at all. Shame changing character designs would make way too many people lose their shit. Who knows, maybe they'd go along with it if it was advertised?

Cool idea. Unfortunately, an iconic, consistent look is much more marketable.

AN iconic look is marketable. Three looks that are associated with iconic parts of the game can be three times as marketable.

LX_Theo

Banned
AN iconic look is marketable. Three looks that are associated with iconic parts of the game can be three times as marketable.

By marketable, I mean brand recognition. A consistent, iconic look is something marketing takes advantage of to get people looking back at products from the brand. The most likely reason we see stuff like P4D taking on variations of their iconic looks.

Just unlikely is all I'm saying. We might see more alternative looks like the various out of uniform wear in the other games, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine a scenario that would deviate their iconic look.

By marketable, I mean brand recognition. A consistent, iconic look is something marketing takes advantage of to get people looking back at products from the brand. The most likely reason we see stuff like P4D taking on variations of their iconic looks.

Just unlikely is all I'm saying. We might see more alternative looks like the various out of uniform wear in the other games, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine a scenario that would deviate their iconic look.

I suppose that's true. Maybe a compromise could be reached if characters commented on their season clothing changes, without any massive physical changes.

Acid08

Banned

what if Yosuke just disappeared halfway through the game and never came back

a bold new direction

I'm just saying, what if one September school day you came in and this guy greeted you:

YskgFb6.png

aaaagh

(yes, I wanted an excuse to draw that)

But anyway, it's probably unavoidable, but it'd be nice to see a P5 that isn't made with brand identity super in mind and is free to do what is best for itself and let the merchandising come after. But I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

LX_Theo

Banned
Personally, I think the best approach would be to give them wardrobes. They have like a weeks worth of outfits they randomly wear. For the majority of important events and in dungeons, they wear the iconic look. They'd also have to wear a bunch of other times as to not give away when somethings about to happen.

It actually bothered the bajeezus out of me in P4 that the party would wear their uniforms in the dungeons on days off. Like, way not to call attention to yourself, guys. Also would have made for a nice change of pace.

But anyway, I think anything that can make the characters seem more real the better, sales of vinyl toys and spinoff dancing games be damned.

It actually bothered the bajeezus out of me in P4 that the party would wear their uniforms in the dungeons on days off. Like, way not to call attention to yourself, guys. Also would have made for a nice change of pace.

But anyway, I think anything that can make the characters seem more real the better, sales of vinyl toys and spinoff dancing games be damned.

0fxDNAt.jpg

But how else would they hide their weapons?

But seriously, I agree they should swap outfits a little more.

Even if only on the scale of one character I think change throughout a year could be cool. Like I really like the idea of a character that starts out a little overweight and dedicates themselves to getting thinner throughout the year and you get to see them change.

FluxWaveZ

I want a Persona party member to have a face-heel turn. Thought
Junpei
was dangerously on the edge of doing that and going along with Strega the first time I was playing through P3.

If anything, I at least have a feeling the P5 cast will have more of a distinct psychological growth throughout the game than the P4 cast did. Temporary physical changes could be cool, too.

Junpei
was dangerously on the edge of doing that and going along with Strega the first time I was playing through P3.

If anything, I at least have a feeling the P5 cast will have more of a distinct psychological growth throughout the game than the P4 cast did. Temporary physical changes could be cool, too.

I'd be down for this. I'm sure Atlus could pull it off.

Junpei

Do you specifically mean a permanent heel turn, or a temporary one? Also, would you rather they become a third party, or join up with the established villains (human or otherwise)?

Even if only on the scale of one character I think change throughout a year could be cool. Like I really like the idea of a character that starts out a little overweight and dedicates themselves to getting thinner throughout the year and you get to see them change.

Junpei

I think it could be cool to have heel turns. Maybe you kill them or can convince them to rejoin depending on choices throughout the game or something like that. I think this sounds like something from Mass Effect though.

Going on a bit of a tangent, I think an enemy wild card user or enemy who believes in working together > working alone wouldn't be so bad. Might be stupid though. I might just be thinking this way because a lot of the villains in recent games get defeated because of underestimating friendship or something like that. Also, on the other hand, maybe something kind of like P3 where you may have a distant party member that only works with you because it achieves a certain goal they have in mind, and they aren't really best friends with you.

Also, maybe this is just a game-mechanics thing, but I wouldn't mind slightly P3/P4
more competent human villains in terms of boss fight. Not sure if they purposely made them weaker due to the more difficult bosses that show up afterwards (Hanged Man/Nyx Avatar and Ameno Sagiri), which are the real challenge. I was overleveled for most of these fights, but Jin and Takaya were defeated in about 3 turns, Chidori was defeated in about 2, Adachi defeated in 3. Didn't really pose much of a threat.

FluxWaveZ

Do you specifically mean a permanent heel turn, or a temporary one? Also, would you rather they become a third party, or join up with the established villains (human or otherwise)?

However it'd be handled would be fine with me; I'm a fan of the trope in general. It'd also add an unprecedented facet to a Persona game team's dynamic, outside of that singular P3 The Answer segment, which wasn't really like that anyways.

There was a particular moment in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that I really loved in that regard:
the fact that, at one point, every member of the team go their separate ways to handle the conflict their own way was fantastic.
I'd like more stuff like that, or anything that diverges from the "inseparable group of friends with a common mindset" concept.

Nimby

Banned
Junpei

Glad I am not alone on that. Ironically, they were many times I thought someone spoiled the game for me,
I played the whole game thinking Yukari was going to die, Junpei would become a traitor, also thought Fuuka and Junpei was going to be a thang.

Similarly with P4,
I thought Kanji was a 20-something character who somehow befriended the group, which once you think about it, would make for an interesting change of pace in the crowd of high schoolers.

There was a particular moment in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that I really loved in that regard:
the fact that, at one point, every member of the team go their separate ways to handle the conflict their own way was fantastic.
I'd like more stuff like that, or anything that diverges from the "inseparable group of friends with a common mindset" concept.

Interesting. I wonder if they were specifically trying to recreate this in The Answer. Shame it ended up being dismissed by so many people as Yukari's Dethroning Moment of Suck.

I'm just saying, what if one September school day you came in and this guy greeted you:

YskgFb6.png

aaaagh

(yes, I wanted an excuse to draw that)

But anyway, it's probably unavoidable, but it'd be nice to see a P5 that isn't made with brand identity super in mind and is free to do what is best for itself and let the merchandising come after. But I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Odd, when did Yosuke move to Mayview?

Xenoflare

Junpei

I'm down for that, but
I will be angry if it's a permanent one and said character is in my party setup with no EXP share to benched members

Speaking of that...severe Trails in the Sky spoilers incoming.

I played the entire game thinking Joshua would either die or betray the party, like he would be leaving the party for good during game, I wasn't exactly wrong in that regard...........

Dantis

However it'd be handled would be fine with me; I'm a fan of the trope in general. It'd also add an unprecedented facet to a Persona game team's dynamic, outside of that singular P3 The Answer segment, which wasn't really like that anyways.

To be fair, this only applies to P4. I'd never consider P3 an 'inseparable group of friends'.

Walshy

I always thought that a Persona game set in College/University would be interesting.

would be interesting to see them shift away from high school, there would be a lot of potential doing a game in college.

Ketkat

I always thought that a Persona game set in College/University would be interesting.

would be interesting to see them shift away from high school, there would be a lot of potential doing a game in college.

From a gameplay point of view, what would really be different?

I'm just saying, this is like if I had said "I think Naoto is the most developed character in the entire series".

I dunno, Aigis's storyline throughout P3 and the answer was alot more fleshed out and elaborate than the rest of the cast.

With Adachi, we got his backstory in P4GA episode 6, his actions in P4, and in Ultimax, him playing the anti hero and trying to set things right for his past mistakes. Oh and his bond with Dojima (Episode Adachi)

I actually thought you were gonna seriously say Naoto. :p

I dunno, Aigis's storyline throughout P3 and the answer was alot more fleshed out and elaborate than the rest of the cast.

With Adachi, we got his backstory in P4GA episode 6, his actions in P4, and in Ultimax, him playing the anti hero and trying to set things right for his past mistakes. (Episode Adachi)

I actually thought you were gonna seriously say Naoto. :p

I agree with you on the latter, but I think Aigis kind of regressed for Arena and Ultimax. Though that could just be Karen Strassman using a standard robot delivery in those games instead of her far more natural speech in The Answer.

Meia

Chie is dead?

Dead?

Now THIS...is Megaten!

Had always figured out the best way to make sure that Persona 5 was super edgy(in addition to it being in college ofc) was for the MC to suddenly get a delivery, and have it be Chie's head in a box. EDGE.

It's always why I will never buy the navigator DLC for PQ. Yeah, I totally want to hear Nanako's reaction to Yu being killed in battle.

Character's changing appearance would be neat. This happening as a result of social link happenings would be even neat-er(think
Naoto's christmas school uniform, but deciding to totally drop her facade and do it year round
). Though just some characters being knocked out of commission as part of the story could be neat(on a sideline basis, picture Akihiko being a part of the team in Persona 3 at the beginning, and then he injures his ribs or something part way through and is sidelined).

Man, it's why I can't wait for Persona 5, the possibilities are endless. :D

I agree with you on the latter, but I think Aigis kind of regressed for Arena and Ultimax. Though that could just be Karen Strassman using a standard robot delivery in those games instead of her far more natural speech in The Answer.

Very true, I agree. I think Labrys was a better portrayed character in Arena/Ultimax than Aigis.

So I am getting Persona Q, do I have to play P3 before playing it?
I have it, but couldn't get into it like I did with P4, I am sure I will play it eventually but doubt I could finish it before Q comes out.

FluxWaveZ

To be fair, this only applies to P4. I'd never consider P3 an 'inseparable group of friends'.

Yes, it only applies to P4 more than the other games, but it's also why I want to see it changed for P5. Hashino explicitly referred to a thematic inversion from P4 in regards to the setting it takes place in, so maybe that won't be the only difference and it will extend to how the characters relate to each other.

Nimby

Banned
Probably the umpteenth time this has been discussed, but what do you nerds want in P5?

- Actual dungeons
- Open world hub/town
- Revamped battle system (I would love press-turn personally)
- A 24-hour clock
- More Personas, more Kaneko

Probably the umpteenth time this has been discussed, but what do you nerds want in P5?

- Actual dungeons
- Open world hub/town
- Revamped battle system (I would love press-turn personally)
- A 24-hour clock
- More Personas, more Kaneko

Wouldn't mind a change to the system because one-more and all out attack simplified mobs a bit much, so that most mobs can be beaten quite easily once the weakness is known and if you get first strike. The level of your spells wouldn't even matter, you could down an enemy just as easily with Agi compared to Agidyne, and the all out attack would often secure the kill. I think press-turn should stay with SMT though, they could probably do something different for Persona.

Not sure what you mean by 24-hour clock, but I would like a way to divide up your day so you don't spend your whole day with the fox or turning the dial on the machine that only works in the rain.

Nimby

Banned
Wouldn't mind a change to the system because one-more and all out attack simplified mobs a bit much, so that most mobs can be beaten quite easily once the weakness is known and if you get first strike. The level of your spells wouldn't even matter, you could down an enemy just as easily with Agi compared to Agidyne, and the all out attack would often secure the kill. I think press-turn should stay with SMT though, they could probably do something different for Persona.

Not sure what you mean by 24-hour clock, but I would like a way to divide up your day so you don't spend your whole day with the fox or turning the dial on the machine that only works in the rain.

An actual day/night cycle of sorts, instead of time being divided up into Morning, Evening, Nighttime, time worked like an actual clock, and events go and come as the hours pass.

Hey guys, I've a question. Do we now if the tarot cards for Persona Q are limited to the "duh" Limited Edition? Or do they also come as a pre order bonus?

Top Bottom