• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

PK Gaming

You know that feeling when you've been up for 20 hours and haven't started on an assignment that counts for 20% of your grade, and you wonder whether it's worth powering through or failing the class to get some sleep, but you're the type to always power through things even when you really don't want to so even though you spend the next 2 hours staring into a void balancing these two possibilities against each other, you always knew that the former was an inevitability so, as the will of causality would naturally direct it, you start and finish the assignment within a period of 4-5 hours running on pure instinct, and when you're done with it and print it out you practically don't even know what you wrote, but it'll probably turn out fine since this scenario has been repeated again, and again, and again?

It's kinda like that.

LYFMOj0.png

EDIT:

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

FeMC is amazing. Saori is the best S Link in the whole series.

Really? His post is pretty comprehensible. Then again, I've lived what he's referring to. Time and time again...

Dantis

You know that feeling when you've been up for 20 hours and haven't started on an assignment that counts for 20% of your grade, and you wonder whether it's worth powering through or failing the class to get some sleep, but you're the type to always power through things even when you really don't want to so even though you spend the next 2 hours staring into a void balancing these two possibilities against each other, you always knew that the former was an inevitability so, as the will of causality would naturally direct it, you start and finish the assignment within a period of 4-5 hours running on pure instinct, and when you're done with it and print it out you practically don't even know what you wrote, but it'll probably turn out fine since this scenario has been repeated again, and again, and again?

It's kinda like that.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

FeMC is amazing. Saori is the best S Link in the whole series.

PK Gaming

She sure isn't worth replaying P3P for.

She isn't worth playing P3P at all really.

I wholeheartedly, emphatically, and without reservation disagree with this post. I mean, consider the sheer amount of people who were absolutely thrilled with the idea of getting the "Persona" experience, but with a female protagonist. I've talked to girls who felt incredibly validated after beating P3P, since they could play as their own gender in a game that game acknowledge that fact, instead of it being a second hand experience.

Hell, I myself enjoyed the hell out of playing as a girl since it was such a new and fresh experience.

We all have, but I think he's confused on how that relates to his statement of FeMC being shit.

I don't think he genuinely thinks that... but he was compelled to say that...

It's like... any chance I get to rag on Naoto I for for it, even though I don't actually hate her...

I always found the FemC route to be better than the normal route, mainly due to the social links. They're MILES better in the FemC route.

Granted I think the main story of P3 works better with Makoto than FemC, not only due to his different dialogue choices but also his design.

Still, FemC is in no way a poor character. If you haven't played P3 then I would suggest FES like anyone would, but if you have played P3 then by all means play the FemC route of P3P, it's almost like an entirely different experience.

84X

Banned
I guess I never correlated a character's gender with my enjoyment of a game or any other media, and I'll probably regret saying this but personally I don't think FeMC adds anything that is more valuable than what's in FES.

I think it would be better if persona games followed the path of letting you choose a gender, I mean I'm all for that, but it's not worth it if it means an inferior game and story.

Acid08

Banned
I guess I never correlated a character's gender with my enjoyment of a game or any other media, and I'll probably regret saying this but personally I don't think FeMC adds anything that is more valuable than what's in FES.

I think it would be better if persona games followed the path of letting you choose a gender, I mean I'm all for that, but it's not worth it if it means an inferior game and story.
Some of the social links are superior in the FeMC route, no question. The links you get with your male party members are pretty great and are obviously not something you get on the male route.

As for the inferior story, blame the hardware limitations of the PSP and the UMD format.

Moonlight

Banned
:|

FeMC had way better S. Links than her male counterpart. Shinji, Junpei and Saori are probably my favourite S. Links in the series.
Gotta rep the general quality of life improvements with FeMC's SLinks, too. Being able to opt out of romances and somewhat more complicated routes (Akihiko's, at least) that didn't leave a romantic outcome up to one or two clear dialogue choices was a much appreciated improvement from the vanilla SLinks.

P3P represents the Persona team at their most mature in terms of crafting narratives and it absolutely shows.

Xenoflare

I.... Actually find myself agreeing with this.

It wasn't the FeMC made her route enjoyable, it was the fact that the altered and new slinks. They gave the rest of the cast much more personality that the original did. It's hard to relate to silent MCs. Ironic on how they are supposed to be player inserts

Now, I know that most of the new links are romantic, I'm not exactly keen on Persona romance writings (especially high school romance). But they sure did offer a lot of insights to the p3s cast.

A shame that you can't romance Junpei though, I found his personality to be the dynamic and robust.

Moonlight

Banned
I.... Actually find myself agreeing with this.

It wasn't the FeMC made her route enjoyable, it was the fact that the altered and new slinks. They gave the rest of the cast much more personality that the original did. It's hard to relate to silent MCs. Ironic on how they are supposed to be player inserts

Now, I know that most of the new links are romantic, I'm not exactly keen on Persona romance writings (especially high school romance). But they sure did offer a lot of insights to the p3s cast.

A shame that you can't romance Junpei though, I found his personality to be the dynamic and robust.
There is a handful of romances in FeMC's unique SLinks, but most of them? Not so much. You need to aggressively pursue Akihiko because he's dense, Shinjiro's romance literally requires you to talk to him after his SLink is finished. Ryoji and Ken both have a moment where you can de-escalate any romance before it goes any further. Only Ryoji's has a specific moment where you straight up turn down a confession.

And apologies to those who ship it, there are no romantic implications in Saori or Rio's SLinks. And Junpei speaks for himself.

I'd also argue that FeMC's quirky and fun dialogue choices did a lot to distinguish the 'feel' of her character as opposed to the MaleMC's more subdued and occasionally callous dialogue. And I think it's a little disingenuous to take the new/differentiated SLinks completely in isolation with FeMC's different attitude and gender. A lot of what happens in them and the connections that are made is directly associated to that. Do you think Saori's SLink would be remotely the same if you were a guy? Rio's? Heck, even Ken and his creepy association with FeMC and his mother would be different. And of course, Junpei's SLink would be phenomenally different in so many ways. You can't take one and not the other.

I wouldn't argue that FeMC is a 'preferable' way to experience P3 for the first time. It's foremost a supplementary experience and very much written that way, and ensuring that a distinct 'feel' to her character also meant making a handful of thematic compromises in the story. I just can't wrap my brain around thinking it's totally disposable with no quality that could make it worth experiencing if you've already played FES.

But Kenji's the best magician. Why would anyone want Junpei over Kenji?

Honestly though, I agree that in general, the quality of S-Links have improved in the female route. I could be wrong, but I think there's also a better balance of night and day S-links, so if you care about maxxing them all it's slightly easier I guess, outside of SPOILERS
Shinji, and arguably Ryoji since you technically waste less days on him but if you decide once NOT to hang out with him then you miss out on it

PK Gaming

There is a handful of romances in FeMC's unique SLinks, but most of them? Not so much. You need to aggressively pursue Akihiko because he's dense, Shinjiro's romance literally requires you to talk to him after his SLink is finished. Ryoji and Ken both have a moment where you can de-escalate any romance before it goes any further. Only Ryoji's has a specific moment where you straight up turn down a confession.

And apologies to those who ship it, there are no romantic implications in Saori or Rio's SLinks. And Junpei speaks for himself.

I'd also argue that FeMC's quirky and fun dialogue choices did a lot to distinguish the 'feel' of her character as opposed to the MaleMC's more subdued and occasionally callous dialogue. And I think it's a little disingenuous to take the new/differentiated SLinks completely in isolation with FeMC's different attitude and gender. A lot of what happens in them and the connections that are made is directly associated to that. Do you think Saori's SLink would be remotely the same if you were a guy? Rio's? Heck, even Ken and his creepy association with FeMC and his mother would be different. And of course, Junpei's SLink would be phenomenally different in so many ways. You can't take one and not the other.

I wouldn't argue that FeMC is a 'preferable' way to experience P3 for the first time. It's foremost a supplementary experience and very much written that way, and ensuring that a distinct 'feel' to her character also meant making a handful of thematic compromises in the story. I just can't wrap my brain around thinking it's totally disposable with no quality that could make it worth experiencing if you've already played FES.

99999% agreement. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I liked FeMC's route, but Makoto is still the best way to experience P3, imo. The best thing about FeMC is the improved relationship with the male members due to the new SLinks with the party members (Junpei, Akihiko, Shinji and Ken) making her more integrated with SEES. I don't know why ATLUS made Makoto such an ass with his fellow male team members... it is like he was intended to be the alpha male. lol

PK Gaming

I don't know why ATLUS made Makoto such an ass with his fellow male team members... it is like he was intended to be the alpha male. lol

A lot of that has to do with the fact that they were simply inexperience/had a different vision. The P3 team didn't really consider your party members as "friends." They were "coworkers" and Tartarus was essentially a "job." Makoto would interact and cooperate while on the job, but when it was over, everyone went back to their own routine. The reason you could Slink with your female party members should be pretty obvious (I hope).

2006 Atlus wasn't nearly as experienced and progressive as they are now. If P3 were to be remade from the ground up, the game would be completely different.

Xenoflare

When I said "romantic" I was specifically saying the SEES members. Of course there are no romantic implications in all of them, and then you have stuff like Ken.

Dantis

I dunno, that sexism isn't addressed.

His social link (among others) just feels out of touch with reality.

It doesn't have to be addressed. Not everything has to be a thing.

He's a character who is wealthy, young and pampered. He probably thinks women do cook and clean and whatnot because he hasn't had any female contact outside of his mother, who does these things for him.

You don't have to have someone scold him for it to be acceptable within the game.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that they were simply inexperience/had a different vision. The P3 team didn't really consider your party members as "friends." They were "coworkers" and Tartarus was essentially a "job." Makoto would interact and cooperate while on the job, but when it was over, everyone went back to their own routine. The reason you could Slink with your female party members should be pretty obvious (I hope).

Yep. I think it's pretty much this. But, man, they did lose a great opportunity.. thankfully they redeemed themselves with Yu and FeMC being able to SLink every party member.

btw, this screenshot sums up why P3FES is much better than P3P for me. Look how beautiful and lively is the environment with the actual 3D characters.

2006 Atlus wasn't nearly as experienced and progressive as they are now. If P3 were to be remade from the ground up, the game would be completely different.

He's a character who is wealthy, young and pampered. He probably thinks women do cook and clean and whatnot because he hasn't had any female contact outside of his mother, who does these things for him.

You don't have to have someone scold him for it to be acceptable within the game.
I'm gonna agree with Dantis on this, I don't think it's outright sexism and more of just ignorance on Keiskue's part due to his family's wealth and status.

Also PK, ATLUS was progressive even before now, or did you forget Jun from Persona 2: Innocent Sin who was pretty open about being gay and was a romance option in the game for Tatsiya. And that game was from 1999.

Please don't say that. I'll end up pining for it.

EDIT: It's funny how everyone EXCEPT Aigis and Fuuka
have lost someone important to them before and during the game.
The Answer leaves us with the least sympathetic characters as our team... Well, except for Akihiko.

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I personally loved Yukari's arc in The Answer. Just thought it was really refreshing to have a party member portrayed that way, especially when you hear the reason behind it. Michelle Ruff does a great job of those scenes too.
Yeah, me too. I absolutely loved Yukari in The Answer. It even made me like her more. Like, (The Answer)
get out of the way Aigis, I'm totally on Yukari's side.
. It kinda sucks people started hating her because of that, since by the end of it she redeems herself.

Heads up to anyone in NYC...

...I just picked up a copy of Persona Q. The regular edition w/Tarot Cards. Can I post up the store is that against the rules? I was always confused with that but to keep it safe, just send me a PM and I'll let you know. They don't close until 9pm so you still have time to pick it up if you're interested!

Don't be mad at me but I've never really played a Persona game before. I know i know, what a terrible thing to say in a Persona thread, lol. I've heard nothing but great things about it though. Between that and the fusion with Etrian Odyssey gameplay (which I LOVE), I didn't hesitate to pick this up.

I just started playing so there's not much I can say. I CAN say that there's 5 difficulty modes and (according to the virtual manual) 3 save slots on the game card with an additional 16 available by using an SD card.

So if you're in NYC, get your butts out there and pick up this game!

Lemstar

...I just picked up a copy of Persona Q. The regular edition w/Tarot Cards. Can I post up the store is that against the rules? I was always confused with that but to keep it safe, just send me a PM and I'll let you know. They don't close until 9pm so you still have time to pick it up if you're interested!
Somehow, I don't think incriminating the store that broke street date in a public place where Atlus employees regularly visit is the nicest thing to do.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah. It's not so much that it's against the rules to post about it publicly, but it's a shitty thing to do for a store that broke the street date, letting you get the game early.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

Don't be mad at me but I've never really played a Persona game before. I know i know, what a terrible thing to say in a Persona thread, lol. I've heard nothing but great things about it though. Between that and the fusion with Etrian Odyssey gameplay (which I LOVE), I didn't hesitate to pick this up.

I just started playing so there's not much I can say. I CAN say that there's 5 difficulty modes and (according to the virtual manual) 3 save slots on the game card with an additional 16 available by using an SD card.

So if you're in NYC, get your butts out there and pick up this game!

THANKS FOR BREAKING STREETDATE, ANONY-STORE!

Andrefpvs

And to think I have to wait like 18 more days to get the game... xD

...So, Hispanicguy, can you confirm that you can't name the P4 hero Yu Narukami? :p

84X

Banned
Wow they sure broke the street date pretty early.

It would be a travesty if some English photos or videos were sent to me... I really hope that doesn't happen.

PK Gaming

I guess. It just feels pointless to me. Like, if they're going make him say that kind of stuff, they should follow up on it. Seems like a missed opportunity.

I'm gonna agree with Dantis on this, I don't think it's outright sexism and more of just ignorance on Keiskue's part due to his family's wealth and status.

Also PK, ATLUS was progressive even before now, or did you forget Jun from Persona 2: Innocent Sin who was pretty open about being gay and was a romance option in the game for Tatsiya. And that game was from 1999.

Ah... yeah. Different teams to be fair, but you're right.

Screencap from the PQ video about F.O.E.s: Chie_is_dead.jpg

Not gonna lie, this is kind of shocking to me. I dunno, the word "dead" carries a lot of weight. Unconscious or down or something. But dead? Damn.

I thought the same thing, though I was a bit amused with the choice of dead. P3 Spoilers
At least that also means that in this game Shinjiro can get shot and 'die' but come back to life

I love the response to the multiplayer question in the Persona Q and A.

I see what you did there. Persona A confirmed? (Yep im pretty lame, lamer than sho puns, no need to tell me.)
damn in dumb, for some reason I didnt even notice the link lol

Totally agree, great job on the Q & A. I have been staying away from trailers and previews of the game, and with this video, most of my questions were answered. Only a week and a half to go!

Top Bottom