• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Setsu00

For whatever reason, I decided to rewatch last year's Persona live stream and boy, Teddie's speach towards the P5 announcement is as annoying as I remembered it.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
So I kinda rushed through P4A's story mode to get in on the Ultimax action (which I have acquired along with a Junes t-shirt and some tarot cards thank you Rice Digital) and now I'm at 99% completion. 99. Freaking. Percent. Fuck this game

So I kinda rushed through P4A's story mode to get in on the Ultimax action (which I have acquired along with a Junes t-shirt and some tarot cards thank you Rice Digital) and now I'm at 99% completion. 99. Freaking. Percent. Fuck this game

I think you're just missing a little easter egg. Nothing essential.

Shame I can't say for Ultimax doing it twice to unlock the true ending.

9999-5515=4484

4+4+8+4=20

T is the 20th letter of the alphabet

Atlus is developing Persona 5

Basically confirmed

LOL thank you for this. Came on GAF looking for something to let off some steam from all this studying and this did it.

Also came to change Makoto's clothes. It's cold as all hell here in Canada. It's time to bring out that winter jacket.

Also came to change Makoto's clothes. It's cold as all hell here in Canada. It's time to bring out that winter jacket.

Just an excuse to bring this sexy man:

sample_11e191a32999498f984a1d51f4163bf1.jpg

Source

Vylash

iirc Yu has 2 choices at one point in his story and you need to to both for 100 percent,it's really nothing honestly

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
I think you're just missing a little easter egg. Nothing essential.

Shame I can't say for Ultimax doing it twice to unlock the true ending.
iirc Yu has 2 choices at one point in his story and you need to to both for 100 percent,it's really nothing honestly

Yeah, found out that it's pretty much a single extra scene I'm missing which would mean I have to choose the 1st option for all of Yu's choices or something. Forget that, I'd rather just put my EGO to one side thx

Not saying P4A is bad at all by the way - Labrys' story was actually kinda heart-wrenching, which is something I didn't expect at all in the P4 Universe. Also, at this point I can safely declare Labrys Best Girl 4 Lyfe.

Plus, I also realised how much I liked Naoto and Kanji as characters - having everyone NOT just interact with Yu and being able to see their thought processes is great.
Anyway, to Ultimax!!!

Sitris

Just pre ordered Persona Q, I only have the original 3DS but I'm sure it will not make a difference. Also never played an EO game before, been interested for a while so I am keen to give the gameplay a try. In celebration I am running through P4G again, just chucked the game in custom difficulty to breeze through, forgot how much I love this game.

A question for fellow personagaf, do we think Persona 5 will have a similar basic setup to P3/4 or will it be a drastic change like 2/3 was? Happy with either as I loved Persona 2 as well. I have faith!

Sophia

A question for fellow personagaf, do we think Persona 5 will have a similar basic setup to P3/4 or will it be a drastic change like 2/3 was? Happy with either as I loved Persona 2 as well. I have faith!

What I think will happen is this: Drastic change to the social structure aspect of the game, such as a newer system to replace social links. But the actual combat system will stay familiar territory and build upon what was established in Persona 4 Golden, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Persona Q.

Also, and while this is more of an idealistic dream, I'm hoping that the actual city where the game takes place this time will be semi-open world. Kinda like how the newest Dragon Age handles it.

Dantis

What I think will happen is this: Drastic change to the social structure aspect of the game, such as a newer system to replace social links. But the actual combat system will stay familiar territory and build upon what was established in Persona 4 Golden, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Persona Q.

Also, and while this is more of an idealistic dream, I'm hoping that the actual city where the game takes place this time will be semi-open world. Kinda like how the newest Dragon Age handles it.

That was established in P4G, SMT 4 and PQ?

I thin the combat will be closer to P4, personally. I don't thin it will take anything at all from SMT 4 and PQ.

Sophia

That was established in P4G, SMT 4 and PQ?

I thin the combat will be closer to P4, personally. I don't thin it will take anything at all from SMT 4 and PQ.

Megami Tensei games usually borrow basic improvements from previous installments. Notice how many games in the franchise are basically evolutions or deviations of the Shin Megami Tensei 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 3 combat system? It seems unlikely this pattern will change, and the mechanics will borrow or be deviated heavily from Shin Megami Tensei 4.

Make no mistake: I'm not saying the combat itself will be first person or anything. Just merely that the mechanics will be used. They've been fairly consistent about this over the years.

I also think something similar to the Boost System from Persona Q might be considered too. Those who have imported the game generally speak positively on the system, as it fixes one of the biggest issues with the variation of the Press Turn system used in Persona 3 and 4.

And of course, main/sub Personas, because freely switching Personae is awesome and the Wild Card as a gameplay mechanic sucks!

Sitris

A open world city would be great, if they could fill it with enough meaningful things. Otherwise a smaller town like Inaba would be better, so that every location has things to do.

An improved social interaction structure is something I could be excited for, as long as it encourages multiple interactions and meaningful benefits then I don't care what it is called! I just love spending time with the characters and friends in this world.

I currently don't see combat as a huge part of why I love persona, as I find myself playing on the easiest difficulty anyway, but if it is improved, awesome.

I think the biggest improvement for me should be in regards to night time activities, as well as rainy days. Especially on NG+, as I have maxed stats, sometimes there isn't much to do at all on rainy days. Except movies!

yuuki

A open world city would be great, if they could fill it with enough meaningful things. Otherwise a smaller town like Inaba would be better, so that every location has things to do.

An improved social interaction structure is something I could be excited for, as long as it encourages multiple interactions and meaningful benefits then I don't care what it is called! I just love spending time with the characters and friends in this world.

I currently don't see combat as a huge part of why I love persona, as I find myself playing on the easiest difficulty anyway, but if it is improved, awesome.

I think the biggest improvement for me should be in regards to night time activities, as well as rainy days. Especially on NG+, as I have maxed stats, sometimes there isn't much to do at all on rainy days. Except movies!
something like akibas trip may also work.

Tamanon

Banned
If we're doing dungeon quests again, please please please don't have each of them occur after you've actually finished the dungeon the first time.

If we're doing dungeon quests again, please please please don't have each of them occur after you've actually finished the dungeon the first time.
I think I might have not completed any quest at all during my first playthrough, and just a handful on the second one.
Also, I really disliked that you could easily sell some items needed for the quests.

Dantis

I also think something similar to the Boost System from Persona Q might be considered too. Those who have imported the game generally speak positively on the system, as it fixes one of the biggest issues with the variation of the Press Turn system used in Persona 3 and 4.

And of course, main/sub Personas, because freely switching Personae is awesome and the Wild Card as a gameplay mechanic sucks!

I think I'd be surprised if either of these things was in, personally.

This would be good. The quests are so dumb in P4.

yuuki

what do you guys think, will we hear something about p5 tomorow?
I know it not p5 focused but its around the one year aniversity of the first announcement, maybe the second of maybe 5 trailer?

Sophia

I think I'd be surprised if either of these things was in, personally.

It's pretty much a given that some variation on the press turn concept will be on. Unless you are suggesting they go back to SMT2/Persona 1 style battles. :p

The Main/Sub Persona is more my personal wish, honestly. I'm glad Persona Q has it, and I hope Persona 5 also has something similar. The lack of customization of your party members in Persona 3 is extremely frustrating. The illusion of choice that Persona 4 presented even more.

This would be good. The quests are so dumb in P4.

I didn't care for the quests in Persona 3 either, but at least they're laid out more logically in terms of progression. Plus the whole being accessed in one place was rather nice. They're still dumb tho.

I wouldnt mind if the quests were more like SMT IV, just a bulletin board (or since we're modern day, an online posting) with what you have to do and who you have to report to.

And yeah, if it's a delivery quest, DONT LET US SELL THE DAMN ITEM! It was just habit to sell everything to Daidara all at once before going out and asking every single individual if I had their item or not!

Dantis

It's pretty much a given that some variation on the press turn concept will be on. Unless you are suggesting they go back to SMT2/Persona 1 style battles. :p

The Main/Sub Persona is more my personal wish, honestly. I'm glad Persona Q has it, and I hope Persona 5 also has something similar. The lack of customization of your party members in Persona 3 is extremely frustrating. The illusion of choice that Persona 4 presented even more.

Press Turn will be back for sure. I'm saying I don't think Boost Mode or Sub Personas will be in.

Like I say, I think it will be closer to Persona 4 combat, so none of the weird stuff Golden added like bike attacks and whatnot, and nothing from SMT4 or PQ. I think Hashino will build from P4 as the base combat engine, and add new things from there, rather than drawing from the spinoff games.

The only thing I think will carry over from them at all is the new fusion systems.

Sophia

Press Turn will be back for sure. I'm saying I don't think Boost Mode or Sub Personas will be in.

Like I say, I think it will be closer to Persona 4 combat, so none of the weird stuff Golden added like bike attacks and whatnot, and nothing from SMT4 or PQ. I think Hashino will build from P4 as the base combat engine, and add new things from there, rather than drawing from the spinoff games.

The only thing I think will carry over from them at all is the new fusion systems.

It's hard to say honestly. I'm going off previous trends and formulas, but none of us can say for certain either way until gameplay comes out. So far there have been no games based off SMT IV's combat system because there hasn't been anything released after SMT IV that wasn't a remake, spinoff, or cross-over. Persona 5 will likely be the first game to see if they stick to the 30 year formula of basing or deriving the battle system from the mainline games.

The new fusion system is a given tho, seeing as the improvements there have been carried onward through every game released that has fusions.

I wouldn't even be entirely surprised if the combat wasn't turn based, honestly. I'd be really disappointed though.

So what would the alternative be like? Xenoblade?

EDIT:
Who can say? Like Sophia says, at this point we know literally nothing. But what was the last console JRPG with true turn based combat? Because by my reckoning it was Persona 4 back in 2008.

Oh, I know. I just meant what kind of system you had in mind.

Sophia

Omega Quintet.

The various Atelier games as well, for the PS3. Sen no Kiseki and it's sequel in Japan too. Also.... not technically a JRPG due to being western developed, but Child of Light uses a Grandia style turn-based system.

Sorry, let me rephrase: 'When was the last not-absurdly niche JRPG to have proper turn based combat?'

You are starting to get into overly narrow criteria that only works due to the fact that there were not many console JRPGs in the PS3/360 era to begin with. :p

Excuse me as I go move the goalposts a little further back.

Caladrius

The various Atelier games as well, for the PS3. Sen no Kiseki and it's sequel in Japan too. Also.... not technically a JRPG due to being western developed, but Child of Light uses a Grandia style turn-based system.

You are starting to get into overly narrow criteria that only works due to the fact that there were not many console JRPGs in the PS3/360 era to begin with. :p.

Indeed. As much as Final Fantasy would like to say otherwise, the Turn-Based RPG ain't dead.

Sophia

Indeed. As much as Final Fantasy would like to say otherwise, the Turn-Based RPG ain't dead.

One must also take into consideration that even western RPGs moved away from turn based. Bioware used to include options to make their games entirely turn based, if the player desired it. Now? Completely missing any turn based aspects at all, outside of the occasional tactical view.

Mind you, there's actually been a slight resurgence of western RPGs with turn based options on PC. So there's that...

At any rate, seeing as Atlus has previously been hesitant to move to real time gameplay and has only done so within the Devil Summoner franchise.... I really doubt Persona 5 will do something as drastic and move away from turn based gameplay. Especially considering they don't want to alleviate existing fans and it's their biggest franchise. It would be a pretty ballsy move to actually do something of that nature.

I would be very displeased if P5 turned out to be not turn-based. It's one of the elements that got me interested to the game in the first place.

MSMrRound

PersonaQ has been sucking up my spare gaming time. Urgh.

Only just completed the second dungeon so far and I can't say how much I'm enjoying the game. The writing/localization is top-notch too. Some of the scenes are really putting a smile on my face.

Just a couple of days till the actual launch. Volcynika's waiting to put up the offical OT too. Can't wait to see impressions from other GAFfers.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PersonaQ has been sucking up my spare gaming time. Urgh.

Only just completed the second dungeon so far and I can't say how much I'm enjoying the game. The writing/localization is top-notch too. Some of the scenes are really putting a smile on my face.

Just a couple of days till the actual launch. Volcynika's waiting to put up the offical OT too. Can't wait to see impressions from other GAFfers.

Two more days,

Also, GeoWars 3 and the Driveclub DLC. Busybusybusy

headofbowl

Neo Member

I was thinking along similar lines, the velvet room summoned via smartphones ala SMT IV's MIDO. That way it would stream line the summoning process and fit in aesthetically too... Well at least I hope they keep that summoning style anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think the Persona changing system would really work that well in a real-time combat setting. Most of Persona is about matching strengths and weaknesses and that's something that really needs menus and frequent switching.

Top Bottom