• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Sophia

Remember 1 year ago when people had mainly negative opinions about Persona Q on its reveal? LOL

Thanks to a certain someone providing me with the log: Some special choice quotes from the IRC madness.

11:09:33: <Solivagant> wtf is this shit
11:09:33: <BuddhaWITHPOWER> this is bad
11:09:34: <frozenprince> I'm serious.
11:09:36: <mib_ek6zfe> please be fake
11:09:37: <bruce> IM DYING NOW
11:09:38: <PKGaming> .............................
11:09:38: <FluxWaveZ> This... this can't be how it happens

11:09:12: <EMT0> This isn't canon
11:09:14: <LeMoN> pls no
11:09:15: <Marche90> I feel like we were trolled hard
11:09:16: <PKGaming> ..........................................

11:08:41: <EMT0> Fuck everything
11:08:49: <EMT0> This is on the 3DS?

11:07:38: <PoeticInjustice> nooooooooooooooo
11:07:41: <PoeticInjustice> 3DS
11:07:41: <PoeticInjustice> :(

11:09:05: <Marche90> TROLOLOLOLOLOLO
11:09:05: <cjkeats> HOLY SHIT
11:09:05: <FluxWaveZ> OH GOD NOOOOOOO

11:07:59: <frozenprince> Fuck you Atlus.
11:07:59: <frozenprince> Fuck you

11:08:54: <Dresden> 3ds lololol

11:09:03: <Levito> I can't belive this

11:09:05: <mib_ek6zfe> this looks....awful

11:11:38: <BuddhaWITHPOWER> persona is over
11:11:41: <BuddhaWITHPOWER> rip

11:09:49: <EMT0> Fuck everything
11:09:50: <Marche90> salt as far as the eye can see

All of these were just the Persona Q reveal, I might add!

Remember 1 year ago when people had mainly negative opinions about Persona Q on its reveal? LOL

Not me, I've actually been pretty hyped for it since they announced it in Japan. Not too much for Ultimax because of the P4 overload and me not being so great, nor having the time to better myself in fighting games, or P4D, since rhythm games aren't really my thing (and we really know nothing about the plot or how it even makes sense that they are all dancing lmfao).

Persona Q was the only one that, with the tidbits of info given in the announcement, had everything that, for me hit the right spot:

EO first person dungeon crawling with FOEs, turn based combat with Personas (and the new subpersonas) and map sketching? Yup.
Persona fusing (and arguably the best one yet from what I hear?) Yup.
Makoto and the P3 gang in an all new story in their high school years? Yup.
P3FemMC. FUCKING NOPE. :'(
P4 IT in there as well (also all of the velvet room attendants)? Yup.
New characters added in? Yup.

I don't quite remember hearing anything negative, but if there was any negative talk, it certainly did not come from me :p

arue

Thanks to a certain someone providing me with the log: Some special choice quotes from the IRC madness.

I wish I joined you guys before this stream happened. The madness in the IRC must have been fun to see in real time lol.

Gazoinks

I plead the fifth...as in I thought it was Persona 5.

Which amendment is the "it was 4 am" one? That's the one I plead.

Also the character limit for PQ makes me sad, because I was going to name the protags Kazuma Kaneko and Shinegori Soejima. >.>

I wish I joined you guys before this stream happened. The madness in the IRC must have been fun to see in real time lol.

It was an emotional rollercoaster let me tell you.

I really wish I was there to witness this, I only heard about the aftermath. Sure, I might have been just as sad as everyone else on there. But for some reason it's far more enjoyable if we're all suffering together :)

P3FemMC. FUCKING NOPE. :'(

Yep

I just don't like the fact it's on 3DS. Just because it's not something I own, not because the 3DS is bad (though admittedly I'm not a big fan of 3D).

FluxWaveZ

There were a lot of factors coming together as to why PQ was met the way it was right at the moment it was revealed. Emotions were on edge with each person having certain expectations as to what they would see, it was late, the stream was legitimately trolling its viewers, we couldn't understand what the heck was going on in it, a P4 dancing game was in the process of being leaked before it appeared on stream, word of Persona 5 not being announced was going around with people who had seen it locally not having received the announcement, and all of that after a countdown leading to what a lot of people thought was going to be P5.

ytQw0nP.png

It was pretty much a crucial moment in terms of how I took Persona's future: as them really just taking the easy route and milking their fans for all they could from the P3 and P4 brand (and diluting the original games in the process), or continuing towards a fresh future with the Persona IP. It's why there was some collective catharsis going on when P5 was announced at the end (hey, I guess that's kind of in line with their goals with that game, heh).

In the end, I guess they are milking P3 and P4 pretty strongly, but they're also not doing it recklessly without regards to quality, which I think was the fear back then. Quality spin-offs combined with the actual continuation of the mainline series through P5 made the series' future promising.

Sophia

I cherry picked examples from the log, instead of posting the whole thing, because emotions were pretty high. There's a lot of funny stuff in there, but there's also things people probably wouldn't want posted in retrospect. On the whole tho it was pretty amusing to see people's reactions, and I still have that night's moment clearly in my head. Between the thousands of people watching on my stream, IRC, and the forums, it was nuts.

Also, as egotistical as this may seem, I do feel kind of proud of myself for keeping my emotions relatively in check. Reading over the log, my opinions on the spinoff games did not significantly shift from what I initially said a year ago.

Remember 1 year ago when we all thought that "Winter 2014" meant the release date for Persona 5 and not the date when we'd get our first look at the actual game? (this is making the big assumption that Atlus is showing P5 off at the Sony event next month)

Xenoflare

What about that Japan live stream where people thought there was going to be P5 but it's just Yu and Kanji's Japanese VA doing lewd things?

I think people stayed up all night for it.

FluxWaveZ

What about that Japan live stream where people thought there was going to be P5 but it's just Yu and Kanji's Japanese VA doing lewd things?

I think people stayed up all night for it.

If anyone stayed up for that one (and were actually expecting Persona 5), they were truly crazy people because the stream was at night in Japan&#8212;in the morning in North America (10:30 AM EST)&#8212;and we had already come to the conclusion it was related to anime since it was being advertised through an anime related source.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Funny thing about PQ, well not directly anyway.

I remember Erin Fitzgerald tweeting something about being in a recording session with Karen Strassman. I jokingly sent her a tweet along the lines of "I hope it's a game where Chie and Aigis team up" This was long before anything about PQ even surfaced.

I don't remember the time frame, but it was at least 5-6 months later the game is announced.

Thing is though, Atlus USA had no idea about PQ until that stream, just like everyone else.

Mdesilva

Haven't really had much to say here for a while... :(

Getting pretty excited for Persona Q though! Going to skip the Pokemon remake for now so I can get it on Tuesday.

Getting pretty excited for Persona Q though! Going to skip the Pokemon remake for now so I can get it on Tuesday.

I did the opposite. Persona is friggin' fantastic, but my all-time favourite game series (and the one from which my namesake originates) shall forever top my list of priorities.

Mdesilva

I did the opposite. Persona is friggin' fantastic, but my all-time favourite game series (and the one from which my namesake originates) shall forever top my list of priorities.
Pokemon's probably my favorite series too, but... I'm starting to get burnt out on it, and it's a remake of a game I've already played. I'll get it another time.

I'm thinking of forgoing calling Yu 'N-kami' and just going with 'N-dog'.
That's not weird, is it?

Nah it's cool. I actually called him Swag Master in a playthrough. Though I don't quite know where dog comes from? Unless your intention was just to make him sound like a rapper or something like that.

abrack08

Same. I was ready to pick up Smash Bros Wii U and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire last Friday, but remembered PQ was next week. I would definitely stop playing Pokemon for Persona, so might as well just wait until I'm done with Persona.

(Smash Bros. is still pretty great though)

I'm a little worried about PQ being here on time, I did express/release date delivery from Best Buy but it still hasn't shipped yet.

Sophia

Why 6 characters.

That is an extremely good question. It is a bit odd it's not at least eight now that one protagonist actually has a canonical name with eight characters.

Actually, now that I think about it, almost every last name that belongs to a P4 cast member wouldn't fit.... o_o

Setsu00

That is an extremely good question. It is a bit odd it's not at least eight now that one protagonist actually has a canonical name with eight characters.

Actually, now that I think about it, almost every last name that belongs to a P4 cast member wouldn't fit.... o_o

Considering that Nich said that the random name generator in PQ never generates Yu Narukami or Makoto Yuki, I'd assume it's another attempt at trolling their fanbase. Or it's simply laziness.

Sophia

Considering that Nich said that the random name generator in PQ never generates Yu Narukami or Makoto Yuki, I'd assume it's another attempt at trolling their fanbase. Or it's simply laziness.

I really really doubt that. If anything it's probably a programming issue or an oversight on the part of the Japanese team.

Surely the six character limit is just what the limit was in the Japanese version of the game?

No. The Japanese version of all(?) Megami Tensei games from Soul Hackers onward has been three characters for first and last name, respectively. This includes Persona Q, as I just checked a video of it.

Atlus games have a rather interesting name entry screen in the Japanese version. They expect you to write the name in kanji, and have a system in place for writing specific words. Not unlike typing on a Japanese keyboard. It's pretty awesome.

Could be because of the font size for the character dialog you know. Maybe anything over 12 characters (which would also have 3 spaces, one before the first name, one after and another after the last name, so 15 when in the middle of a sentence) would make the letters go off screen or something like that. I'm going to say they had to do it for coding purposes just like Sophia said, rather than just something that the US branch wanted to put on people.

arue

Could be because of the font size for the character dialog you know. Maybe anything over 12 characters (which would also have 3 spaces, one before the first name, one after and another after the last name, so 15 when in the middle of a sentence) would make the letters go off screen or something like that. I'm going to say they had to do it for coding purposes just like Sophia said, rather than just something that the US branch wanted to put on people.
I thought this is the case for every time there is a character limit in a game (see Harvest Moon series), that's why I never complained about them; although they can be annoying at times.

I thought this is the case for every time there is a character limit in a game (see Harvest Moon series), that's why I never complained about them; although they can be annoying at times.

Yeah specially when it's a localization. Character space and size is quite a lot of times hard coded even, and the developers need to not only localize the text as close to the original as possible, but also make it fit in all of the textboxes that they have available to them. I never complain either, because as a software development student, I know how hard things like this can be. You need to stick to the script, but you also have limitations to consider.

Kazzy

As someone who attended one of the venues to witness that live-stream, I can safely say who the biggest loser on that night was!

Top Bottom