• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

True, but posting a random...

The difference in contexts is true, too. My stance is just that people should be more skeptical about things, so I just find it hilarious when people fall for stuff like that TGS image. For my Ken trailer subs, there are people who actually thought it was real (and continue to) when I wasn't even trying to fool anyone and I thought I had made it abundantly clear.

Fakeness aside, TGS makes a lot more sense than any other gaming convention. Though I'm just going to continue not expecting the game to show up.

Almost feel like it'd be more likely for Atlus to hold their own unveil event at this point than rely on TGS, since that seems to be something they've become accustomed to.

Guess Margaret won't be in this week's Famitsu, unfortunately. Hopefully she'll be an early August thing and not mid-August.

Swedesu

Gaaah P2EP why do you do this to me? I'm up to the Gold Gym part and I suddenly get leveled by all the enemies here. I've tried fusing some new personas but they aren't really helping. This difficulty spike is insane and I have no will to start grinding for any more persona cards.

Am I the only one who has had this problem? If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

PK Gaming

Gaaah P2EP why do you do this to me? I'm up to the Gold Gym part and I suddenly get leveled by all the enemies here. I've tried fusing some new personas but they aren't really helping. This difficulty spike is insane and I have no will to start grinding for any more persona cards.

Am I the only one who has had this problem? If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

What level are your characters? BTW, after you finish this dungeon you'll gain access to Maia Prime (provided you haven't tossed away Maia + were nice to Ulala during a certain scene), a Persona that should last you until the end of the game.

Swedesu

What level are your characters? BTW, after you finish this dungeon you'll gain access to Maia Prime (provided you haven't tossed away Maia + were nice to Ulala during a certain scene), a Persona that should last you until the end of the game.

Around level 15.

The problem with getting new persona cards atm is that Ulala had the best contact and everyone else just makes the demons mad most of the time and the enemies on the second floor basically two-shots me. This in combination with the slow combat is sucking away all the joy of playing this game. It's just not worth it when I have a backlog and other games I want to play.

Yoooo!

BtKL4C1CUAAnojw.png

My heart stopped for a second.

For one second I nearly believed that one of the games in my holy trinity of godlike awesomeness will be properly unveiled.

PK Gaming

Around level 15.

The problem with getting new persona cards atm is that Ulala had the best contact and everyone else just makes the demons mad most of the time and the enemies on the second floor basically two-shots me. This in combination with the slow combat is sucking away all the joy of playing this game. It's just not worth it when I have a backlog and other games I want to play.

Hmm

Are you still using your starters? Unlike in IS, the starting Personas fall off quickly, so you need to change it up.

Some Personas to look out:
-Arianrhod (Empress lvl 15)
-Nekomata (Hermit, lvl 14)
-Surya (Sun, lvl 13)
-Kimnra (Star, lvl 12)
-Ryume (Strength, lvl 12)

Try using the contact guide to get going on the card collecting.

CorvoSol

About P2; do you guys think it's worth actually playing it through? Or should I just YouTube it/cheat my way through it?

I cheated for infinite cards in Eternal Punishment, and that's making it much more manageable.

Honestly, though, Innocent Sin is a toss up for me. You gotta have the PSP translation and voice acting, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

FUCK.

THAT.

ENCOUNTER RATE.

Mdesilva

I cheated for infinite cards in Eternal Punishment, and that's making it much more manageable.

Honestly, though, Innocent Sin is a toss up for me. You gotta have the PSP translation and voice acting, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

FUCK.

THAT.

ENCOUNTER RATE.
That's one of my main problems, too. The battles are also really easy so it's just tedium. Taking away random encounters in P3/4 was a good decision, as they really didn't do it right here.

CorvoSol

Things in ISP that I wish EP had:

1) The ability to see when enemy turns will take place.

2) The minimap instead of the compass

3) The non-battle system menu.

4) Voice actors who don't sound like they worked in Atlus USA's laundry room and did the entire game's recording while blazed one Sunday afternoon.

Things Persona 2 needs from Persona 1:

THE ABILITY TO TELL DEMONS TO FUCK OFF CUZ I'M SICK OF THEIR SHIT AND DON'T WANT TO TALK WHEN I HAVE TWO MINUTES TILL THE BUILDING GOES UP IN FLAMES.

Things Persona 1 and 2 need from Persona 3 or SMT:

The ability to fuse Personas to get new ones.

The ability to resummon Personas I already had from the compendium.

Ultimately, though, I have to say I really, really hate Persona 2's battle system. Not just because of all the menus, but there's also this way it encourages you to set it up for automatic and no matter how you configure it it feels like this boring slog. Persona 4 (and 3P) have a much better battle system, and heck, once I finally figured out the rhythm of SMT4's battle system it became far better, too.

The thing about Persona 2 for me is that Innocent Sin is riddled with good new ideas and terrible bad ones piled atop Eternal Punishment's sort of dated and lack luster combat anyway. I can see why people don't mind it, because Lord knows I have a fondness for some of the older, clunkier Final Fantasy games, but the game's gameplay definitely has never clicked with me.

However, I am fond of the story. Innocent Sin has this insane, comical, over the top approach to rumors that's perfect for its upbeat, wacky teenage cast, and Eternal Punishment has this more reserved, sort of political/crime drama more fitting of its (still often wacky) cast of grown ups.

I realize this is sort of a slap in the face to the games, but I think these games getting modernized gameplay would really make them much more accessible. For me at least there's nothing about the plots of Persona 1, 2IS and 2EP for them to need to disavow. But the gameplay is an undeniable barrier to many newcomers.

PK Gaming

FUCK.

THAT.

ENCOUNTER RATE.

I can only speak for ISP and that game is almost entirely devoid of fun.

That's one of my main problems, too. The battles are also really easy so it's just tedium. Taking away random encounters in P3/4 was a good decision, as they really didn't do it right here.

You guys just don't appreciate a tr00 rpg experience.

I bet if those games had waifus s.link and shit it you guys would appreciate it more.

I realize this is sort of a slap in the face to the games, but I think these games getting modernized gameplay would really make them much more accessible. For me at least there's nothing about the plots of Persona 1, 2IS and 2EP for them to need to disavow. But the gameplay is an undeniable barrier to many newcomers.

No not at all, as one of the biggest fans of those games, I completely agree. I dreamed of P1/2 having a full remake that keeps the city gameplay the same, but the combat is updated to the P4 engine, but removing One More! in favor of being able to swap Personas for everyone. The negotiation system should at least be updated to SMTIV standards.

kewlmyc

No not at all, as one of the biggest fans of those games, I completely Agree. I dreamed of P1/2 having a full remake that keeps the city gameplay the same, but the combat is updated to the P4 engine, but removing One More! in favor of being able to swap Personas for everyone. The negotiation system should at least be updated to SMTIV standards.

I would love this. Or at least have P1 and P2 on the SMTIV engine.

Mdesilva

No not at all, as one of the biggest fans of those games, I completely agree. I dreamed of P1/2 having a full remake that keeps the city gameplay the same, but the combat is updated to the P4 engine, but removing One More! in favor of being able to swap Personas for everyone. The negotiation system should at least be updated to SMTIV standards.
I'd get it Day 1.

So for P2 > YouTube or cheats.
What about P1P? Is that one good? If it is I'll wait for th he next sale, buy and play it and then go for P2

^That one is so divisive among the fanbase its a hard call.

I would also add in Shuffle Time to alleviate some of the reliance on negotiation the old games had, but I would still make it that negotiation results in better rewards/Personas. I would also completely remove the dumb tarot system from Persona 2 entirely. I would keep fusion spells, but I think I would try to balance the game so that they aren't so crazily game breaking. I would obviously add in original bgm and updated bgm/sound effect options to Persona 1, add in all the content in P2ISP and P2EPP that never came to the US/UK (P2EP never was officially released in the UK) and finally, I would add a new game+ to both P1 and P2IS, and I would add both P2IS and P2EP cast to the EX Dungeon in P2EP, letting you have a wide variety of characters for that mode.

Dantis

Added Flux's site to the OP.

Also, as far as that fake P5 image goes, it just feels mean and lame to me. Pranks are good when they're clever, require a lot of effort and when they're funny. This ticks none of the boxes, it's just a cheap troll for people desperate to see something.

Acid08

Banned
So for P2 > YouTube or cheats.
What about P1P? Is that one good? If it is I'll wait for th he next sale, buy and play it and then go for P2
P1P was excellent imo. A nice compact experience with fun characters and combat that at least moves quickly.

Last boss is a Butterfly Storm casting piece of crap though.

I really find it interesting how in more recent years, the opinions on P1 and P2 have flipped, P1 used to be avoided and P2 was the worthwhile game. I guess P1 just holds up better these days, and honestly, it is kind of true. I wonder which of P3 and P4 will be more revered in 10 years.

Arthos

I've tried playing Persona 1 Portable and I just couldn't get into it. I've gotten a lot further into P2 than P1. I still don't fully understand the demon leveling and fusing in P2, but whatever!

And P4 will always be better than P3 because it has Rise-chan.

kewlmyc

I really find it interesting how in more recent years, the opinions on P1 and P2 have flipped, P1 used to be avoided and P2 was the worthwhile game. I guess P1 just holds up better these days, and honestly, it is kind of true. I wonder which of P3 and P4 will be more revered in 10 years.

So if I couldn't even get into P1, then P2 is a lost cause? Why is the combat in P2 so hated when P1P is liked?

Persona 3. The only area Persona 4 beats it in is the gameplay.

Dantis

So if I couldn't even get into P1, then P2 is a lost cause? Why is the combat in P2 so hated when P1P is liked?

P1P is lightning fast in every aspect. It's actually pretty fun.

P2 has a miles better story and characters, and a surprisingly decent presentation, but it's slooooow. Especially if you're playing off the UMD. The loading screen just to load a battle is miles longer than both P1P and P3P. It drove me crazy when I was playing.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd be willing to bet you that P4 will be the more revered game ten years from now. There is a lot, lot, lot more interest in it. You don't have to look further than this very site to see that.

Also P4 has better characters than P3 and you're drunk.

Eh, I'd dispute this. I think P4 is more likely to hold up because it's got a more charming and relatable cast (which includes much stronger antagonists) as well as an intrigue-laden plot that moves along at a waaaaaay better clip than P3's. They're both amazing games, but I personally think that P4 is more likely to endure the test of time.

Dugna

Persona 4 will be more well known, mostly because of all of this exposure it's getting. So more people will look at it more fondly.

They sped up the combat in P1 with P1P to a nice degree in the port, P2ISP's combat is not sped up, in fact, the new menu system makes it slightly slower and clunkier than the original in fact. Combine that with the fact that P2ISP has easier combat than the already easy original (For half the game the only way you are gonna die is if you try and you don't buy any armor) and a higher encounter rate makes it frustrating.

P2EPP actually is the fastest running of the 3 old Persona game psp ports, it runs LIGHTING fast, and when you turn off battle animations, combat is almost instant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnBx9BzQEQ

This version is currently getting fan translated and progress on this has actually started, so there maybe hope yet for this one to be playable in English.

PK Gaming

Eh, I'd dispute this. I think P4 is more likely to hold up because it's got a more charming and relatable cast (which includes much stronger antagonists) as well as an intrigue-laden plot that moves along at a waaaaaay better clip than P3's. They're both amazing games, but I personally think that P4 is more likely to endure the test of time.

Irequestthehighestoffives.gif

Acid08

Banned
P4 will definitely stand the test of time more favorably. I mean bad people constantly complain about P3's quirks even now. Though, like P1 and P2, P3 will always have its hardcore fans.

Top Bottom