• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

DNAbro

I made one.

It's really 100% definitely real and I didn't just paste one of my pictures onto the existing one and then adjust it a bit.

Nope.

No sir.

BtLFVJCIIAAtSlu.png

dare you to try pass it around and trick people into thinking it's real

I made one.

It's really 100% definitely real and I didn't just paste one of my pictures onto the existing one and then adjust it a bit.

Nope.

No sir.

BtLFVJCIIAAtSlu.png

Seriously though.

Persona 5 was revealed almost 8 months ago. It best be at TGS or revealed around that time of year.

Levito

Banned
Persona Q coming out on Nov 25th is pretty perfect.

Isn't the game supposed to be like 100 hours? IF so, that's great cause I don't plan on buying any more games this year after The Evil Within.

Dantis

Persona Q coming out on Nov 25th is pretty perfect.

Isn't the game supposed to be like 100 hours? IF so, that's great cause I don't plan on buying any more games this year after The Evil Within.

I think I heard it's more like 30 - 40 hours.

Which is still a decent length, of course. There are five dungeons in it, I think? So they must be pretty long.

Levito

Banned

Which is still a decent length, of course. There are five dungeons in it, I think? So they must be pretty long.

Ah ok, that's still a pretty long game. I can't wait to try the EO style of dungeon crawling!

Shun

The full soundtrack for Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is quite good and for those who haven't picked it up, it's like 3000¥.

Much better than what's offered with deluxe copies.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

You know what they call a person who can get through PQ in 30-40 hours? QUITTER.

Should be closer to 80 for the easiest difficulty (clearing P3 & P4 stories)

Caladrius

The slow, tumultuous wait has finally turned PersonaGAF from desperate into malicious. It's only a matter of time before ATLUS employees are abducted.

Something occurred to me as a means to have the option of a FeMC for future games. There's two possible protagonists for the player to choose from (one male, one female). Like PQ, whichever one you don't pick stays on as a normal party member.
Any ideas, or would it be a waste of resources?

I'm against this, as it prevents the player character from being a proper blank slate. If there is a choice, it should be full on replacement like P3P.

I am absolutely for the choice though. I think if Persona wants to be the game it wants to be it's a necessity.
I understand your objection. I suppose I'm in the minority by seeing the protagonist as their own character that the player simply guides.
Also, I agree with you that choice is important, but that leaves an interesting problem; what about future installments?
Would it still be okay if we had yet another sidelined FeMC?

Something occurred to me about the option of a FeMC for future games. There's two protagonists which the player chooses from (one male, one female). Like PQ, whichever one you don't pick stays on as a normal party member.
Any ideas, or would it be a waste of resources?
I'm against this, as it prevents the player character from being a proper blank slate. Not to mention the character you didn't pick would have to be fairly generic to fit both sexes, and I don't know if we need one of those in the party. If there is a choice, it should be full on replacement like P3P.

I am absolutely for the choice though. I think if Persona wants to be the game it wants to be it's a necessity.

Setsu00

I'm against this, as it prevents the player character from being a proper blank slate. If there is a choice, it should be full on replacement like P3P.

If it works with the story they have in mind for P5, I'm okay with it - but please, don't shove that in. For example, P4 doesn't work with a female protagonist due to the nature of the
Izanagi/ Izanami dynamic

Do it well or don't do it at all.

Nachos

You know what they call a person who can get through PQ in 30-40 hours? QUITTER.

Should be closer to 80 for the easiest difficulty (clearing P3 & P4 stories)

Are there even any major differences between the two aside from music once you get to the point where both sides team up? From what I've seen, it's all just largely the same.

NichM

Banned
Are there even any major differences between the two aside from music once you get to the point where both sides team up? From what I've seen, it's all just largely the same.

Trust me, there are a lot of differences. There's a bunch of mini events and even entire character arcs unique to each side.

If it works with the story they have in mind for P5, I'm okay with it - but please, don't shove that in. For example, P4 doesn't work with a female protagonist due to the nature of the
Izanagi/ Izanami dynamic

Do it well or don't do it at all.
The
Izanagi/Izanami dynamic
was such a minor point to the storyline that I don't really think it'd have been a big deal if there was a female main character. Push come to shove,
just make a female Izanagi like they did with Orpheus.

Also, I agree with you that choice is important, but that leaves an interesting problem; what about future installments?
Would it still be okay if we had yet another sidelined FeMC?
I really hope Persona 5 is designed around building future spinoffs around it. It should be built to stand entirely on itself--let the spinoff thinking come later.

And on a concern of the female main character being sidelined--I think if a mainline game was created initially with both options I would think (hope) that all future spinoffs based on it would represent both.

Nachos

Trust me, there are a lot of differences. There's a bunch of mini events and even entire character arcs unique to each side.

Well, that's good to hear. Etrian Odyssey Untold tried to incentivize playing through both of its modes, too, but it did it in some really backwards ways. It was really baffling to find that the ultimate katana was locked away in story mode, especially when you don't even have access to ronin unless you're in classic.

Andrefpvs

Nick, you can choose which side (P3 or P4) to play as first, right? What would your personal recommendation be? Or is it irrelevant in the long run?

NichM

Banned
The full soundtrack for Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is quite good and for those who haven't picked it up, it's like 3000¥.

Much better than what's offered with deluxe copies.

Been listening to it since Friday (Amazon Japan shipped it on the 16th, arrived in San Francisco on the 17th) and I love it so much. Got the Amazon JP LE with the cloth poster.

Light the Fire Up In the Night - Mayonaka - is easily my favorite version of the theme while TAKOYAKI, Donut & changing me - a music box - qualify as the most adorably cute. Laser Beam is also solid. I also liked the Q renditions of the P3/P4 songs too.

kewlmyc

Not this year. :'(

Wait, they're seriously not doing a concert this year?

While this is of course possible, I think it's useful to remember the history of the overall franchise and look at its current status in that context. There's only ever been an "occasional" SMT mainline game; there were the first two released within a couple years of each other (and If..., a quickie spinoff that reused a ton of sprites), then Nocturne 9 years later, then Strange Journey 6 years after that, then SMTIV 4 years after that. It's not like Tales or Atelier with constant new entries, and it never has been.

Similarly, I see people wonder why it's such a long wait between P4 and P5, but there was a wait just as long between Eternal Punishment and 3. Those two games were separated by 6 years, and now we're coming up on 6 years after P4's release. If you started with P3, and then got 4 a couple years later, and now it's been 6 more since then, it feels like a long gap. But in the context of the series' overall history, it's nothing unusual.

True. SMT has been around for what, 15 years and there hasn't been that many games for it (12-15 maybe, including all spinoffs). I guess I forgot that.

Top Bottom