• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Irequestthehighestoffives.gif

*jumps*
*misses*
*faceplants*

Sophia

Dammit tumblr.

Kudos to whoever made that image. They successfully trolled part of the internet, at least. :p

P1P is lightning fast in every aspect. It's actually pretty fun.

P2 has a miles better story and characters, and a surprisingly decent presentation, but it's slooooow. Especially if you're playing off the UMD. The loading screen just to load a battle is miles longer than both P1P and P3P. It drove me crazy when I was playing..

I want to know what went through their heads releasing the PSP version of P2IS as they did. Surely nobody at Atlus thought releasing a washed up port with even more issues than the original game was a good idea, did they?

This version is currently getting fan translated and progress on this has actually started, so there maybe hope yet for this one to be playable in English.

Lets hope that a FF-0 situation doesnt occur. Not insinuating in any way that Atlus are like Square Enix, just saying FUCK Square Enix for that.

Do you have a link to follow the development of the patch? :)

Sadly I dont

Lets hope that a FF-0 situation doesnt occur. Not insinuating in any way that Atlus are like Square Enix, just saying FUCK Square Enix for that.

I may be remembering wrong, but when the PS1 version of P2IS was fan translated, I think Atlus even supported them on their forum, could be wrong and it was ages ago, but yea.

Yeah, that' was such a bad move on their part. Especially the fact that they have waited for the project to be finished to do it. So disrespectful of their fans work. Which, by the way, gave them a lot of free advertisement.

I still believe it'll be at TGS. P4D will be there for sure, it'd be nice to give us a little bit more than just a tease for P5 there too if there is anything. Like, show us the MC or something.

Levito

Banned
Tumblr seems to personify everything I hate about social media.

Eh, I'd dispute this. I think P4 is more likely to hold up because it's got a more charming and relatable cast (which includes much stronger antagonists) as well as an intrigue-laden plot that moves along at a waaaaaay better clip than P3's. They're both amazing games, but I personally think that P4 is more likely to endure the test of time.

Many of the systems P3/4 share are far more refined in P4, so I agree. As for the story/cast, that's up to your own preferences.

Setsu00

Yeah, that' was such a bad move on their part. Especially the fact that they have waited for the project to be finished to do it. So disrespectful of their fans work. Which, by the way, gave them a lot of free advertisement.

There's the theory that the reason why SE actually wants the team to take the patch down is that the patcher includes the entire data of the game and can be "reverse patched" to get the original game. And I don't think there's a way SE could have known that before Sky and co. actually released the patcher.

That aside, it's kinda short-sighted to put the blame on only one party since you'll never know 100% what happened behind the scenes.

Eh, I'd dispute this. I think P4 is more likely to hold up because it's got a more charming and relatable cast (which includes much stronger antagonists) as well as an intrigue-laden plot that moves along at a waaaaaay better clip than P3's. They're both amazing games, but I personally think that P4 is more likely to endure the test of time.

I agree with relatable cast for Persona 4, but for stronger antagonist I disagree. Both Persona 3 and 4 don't really have strong antagonists. Because I feel Persona 2 had a stronger antagonist compared to both.

Though I feel Persona 3 ending will be far more memorable than that of Person 4, especially that boss battle. Though Persona 4 will probably endure longer.

Also P3 characters are better than P4, because you know Yukari.

Setsu00

I agree with relatable cast for Persona 4, but for stronger antagonist I disagree. Both Persona 3 and 4 don't really have strong antagonists. Because I feel Persona 2 had a stronger antagonist compared to both.

Though I feel Persona 3 ending will be far more memorable than that of Person 4, especially that boss battle. Though Persona 4 will probably endure longer.

Also P3 characters are better than P4, because you know Yukari.

Even as someone who dislikes (P4 SPOILER)
Adachi (both his personality and his design)
, I still found
him
a lot more interesting than Strega and
Ikutsuki

, I still found
him
a lot more interesting than Strega.
I agree.
I really like Adachi, especially his personality, thanks to the great dub. At a certain point I even completely forgot that Strega existed.

Tamanon

Banned
Remember if you switch which game you're spoiling when responding to put that game name in your post too:p

And Happy Tuesday everyone!

Squire

Banned
Added Flux's site to the OP.

Also, as far as that fake P5 image goes, it just feels mean and lame to me. Pranks are good when they're clever, require a lot of effort and when they're funny. This ticks none of the boxes, it's just a cheap troll for people desperate to see something.

You giant baby.

, I still found
him
a lot more interesting than Strega.

I could see that but I feel that
Adachi's motives were weak. I'm not saying he's a bad character. Is just that he isn't that great as some people make him out to be. In the end I feel that both P3 and P4 antagonists weren't that fully developed. That's why I hope the movies might do a little more development for the P3 antagonists.

Setsu00

P3:
I wish they had given this more development time instead of killing him right after the big reveal. Could have been interesting if he had a larger role to play down the stretch in that game.

Ultimax may or may not be your friend. We'll see.

kewlmyc

I said this before and I'll say it again. While I personally like P3 more, P4 is definitely the better overall game. I'll even say that P4 has better characters, it's just that P3's strongest characters have more depth than the P4 cast (Yukari and Junpei), while the P4 has a way better overall cast and supporting characters (including villains).

So yeah, P4 will definitely be remembered more.

GSR

P2EPP actually is the fastest running of the 3 old Persona game psp ports, it runs LIGHTING fast, and when you turn off battle animations, combat is almost instant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnBx9BzQEQ

This version is currently getting fan translated and progress on this has actually started, so there maybe hope yet for this one to be playable in English.

I slogged my way through IS on PSP, but I was divided about playing EP because of how long battles took. When I saw EP PSP's battle speed that pretty much saved the game for me.

Having to double-check an English LP once in a while when the kanji get too obscure is a low price to pay for tolerable battles.

PK Gaming

P3:
I wish they had given this more development time instead of killing him right after the big reveal. Could have been interesting if he had a larger role to play down the stretch in that game.

Same. His face-heel turn comes out of nowhere, and his motivations are pretty weak. We barely got any insight into want makes him tick, and the databooks haven't been particularly helpful either, so a large part of his character is just... unclear. I think at the very least, he should have gotten a Persona.

P3:
Ever since I saw the opening and then later the title of a video called "Ikutsuki's betrayal", I was hoping Ikutsuki would turn out be Takaya, both would have been better a villain if they were same person. :p

Same. His face-heel turn comes out of nowhere, and his motivations are pretty weak. We barely got any insight into want makes him tick, and the databooks haven't been particularly helpful either, so a large part of his character is just... unclear. I think at the very least, he should have gotten a Persona.

honestly, it reeks of deadlines needing to be met/cut content

NichM

Banned
Real talk: I wouldn't be surprised if only Persona and the occasional SMT mainline game existed 20 years from now.

While this is of course possible, I think it's useful to remember the history of the overall franchise and look at its current status in that context. There's only ever been an "occasional" SMT mainline game; there were the first two released within a couple years of each other (and If..., a quickie spinoff that reused a ton of sprites), then Nocturne 9 years later, then Strange Journey 6 years after that, then SMTIV 4 years after that. It's not like Tales or Atelier with constant new entries, and it never has been.

Similarly, I see people wonder why it's such a long wait between P4 and P5, but there was a wait just as long between Eternal Punishment and 3. Those two games were separated by 6 years, and now we're coming up on 6 years after P4's release. If you started with P3, and then got 4 a couple years later, and now it's been 6 more since then, it feels like a long gap. But in the context of the series' overall history, it's nothing unusual.

While this is of course possible, I think it's useful to remember the history of the overall franchise and look at its current status in that context. There's only ever been an "occasional" SMT mainline game; there were the first two released within a couple years of each other (and If..., a quickie spinoff that reused a ton of sprites), then Nocturne 9 years later, then Strange Journey 6 years after that, then SMTIV 4 years after that. It's not like Tales or Atelier with constant new entries, and it never has been.

Similarly, I see people wonder why it's such a long wait between P4 and P5, but there was a wait just as long between Eternal Punishment and 3. Those two games were separated by 6 years, and now we're coming up on 6 years after P4's release. If you started with P3, and then got 4 a couple years later, and now it's been 6 more since then, it feels like a long gap. But in the context of the series' overall history, it's nothing unusual.

The way I see it, P5 is a new generation just like P3 was and that takes time to make.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
P3:
Yup, his presence in the game was so insignificant. He only served to move the plot along :p

Added Flux's site to the OP.

Also, as far as that fake P5 image goes, it just feels mean and lame to me. Pranks are good when they're clever, require a lot of effort and when they're funny. This ticks none of the boxes, it's just a cheap troll for people desperate to see something.

...But I still kinda want to try my hand at making one.
I'm a bad person, aren't I? u_u

I think both games have interesting characters. But the P4 characters shine more than the P3 ones due principally to the game's new approach. Facing your true self make the characters to develop more their personalities. Moreover, the main story does not push the characters as in P3, causing them to act more naturally. The story of P4 is more focused on the interaction between the characters supporting each other much more than P3, in which the action in the storyline is a lot more focused. So, to me, it's not like they are overall better characters than the ones in P3, it's their personalities that are more exposed during the game.

Have said that, There are characters from P3 that I like more than in P4, and there are characters in P4 that I like more than in P3. I like P3's story more. But P4 has the better gameplay and balance.

CorvoSol

Anyone who thinks that Persona 2 doesn't have waifus has his head so far up his ass it's coming back out of his neck. Tatsuya may not be as insanely attractive to all forms of life, be they shadow, robot, or men and women as Yu Narukami, but the fact remains Tatsuya had two girlfriends and a boyfriend, even if one of his girlfriends had better chemistry with his big brother.

FUCK YOU GAME MAYA SHOULD HOOK UP WITH KATS-MAN, DAMMIT.

No not at all, as one of the biggest fans of those games, I completely agree. I dreamed of P1/2 having a full remake that keeps the city gameplay the same, but the combat is updated to the P4 engine, but removing One More! in favor of being able to swap Personas for everyone. The negotiation system should at least be updated to SMTIV standards.

I think I'd agree with this completely. Although I think S-Link's are great, I can't really imagine how one would incorporate them into P1 and P2 without involving a calendar that those games' narratives don't need. The structure of the two games works fine for me. Give them P4's combat engine (but keep everybody's Persona swapping ability) and then yeah, add in SMTIV's negotiations, the Compendium and Fusion and I think P1 and P2 would be accessible to the masses.

Because I don't think, as much as some would like, that it's the dating aspects of Persona 3 and 4 that set them as shining in popularity above Personas 1-2EP.

One final adjustment I'd insist upon, though, is a new battle theme, especially for Innocent Sin. God that game's battle theme is awful. Knights of the Holy Lance is great, but the regular battle theme needs changed out.

EEER R EEE EEE R EEEEE BOOM BOOM BOOM.

So for P2 > YouTube or cheats.
What about P1P? Is that one good? If it is I'll wait for th he next sale, buy and play it and then go for P2

I actually really enjoyed Persona 1 Portable. More so than Persona 2, and here's why: The game has a much lower encounter rate, and combat is much more involved. The game was also strangely forgiving in that I could use whatever Personas I damn well pleased until boss fights when it was like "If you don't got what you need, you're fucked." ESPECIALLY THAT MOTHER FUCKING FINAL BOSS.

But I mean, the game is compact, and it makes for a tight-knit experience, I think. There are only a handful of dungeons in the game, and the plot is pretty straightforward. Although for a good long while it feels really slow in the middle, the game's plot picks up in the back half and really shows its worth as the parent of Persona 4. It's hard to get into it without spoiling it, but I was impressed by how the game was able to do so much without having to do overmuch.

Also, Philemon's design in Persona 1 is WAY better than his design in Persona 2.

Top Bottom