• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Mdesilva

KR0NPR1NZ drew another Persona fanart in honor of someone's birthday...

The girl with the meaty thighs:
Niiiiiiiiiice. Was just looking for this yesterday.

Random thought after seeing 4th character speculation (not that there's any sign of one coming for sure…)

So, I feel like
Makoto
, or even a P1/2 character still aren't out of the question. Although, I read something the other day that there's this mutual respect between character designers in Japan and that they don't like to mess with each other's work, which is probably why they haven't touched those games in a while outside of a couple remakes.

But still, even though this game is canon, there is a such thing as guest characters, even though ArcSys games don't traditionally have them. Whether or not they'll add more characters than just Margaret for this game… that's the real question.

FluxWaveZ

Random thought after seeing 4th character speculation (not that there's any sign of one coming for sure…).

Just curious, but what do you mean by 4th? Ah wait, you must mean in terms of DLC; I see.

I completely think that any additional character that will be playable will be involved with the story, as it has been for everyone else. Another character (whether DLC or unlockable) isn't completely out of the question, but I think there's absolutely no way it's a P1 or P2 character. I was close to saying the same for Margaret in the past, but that would be on another level completely.

Edit: I have no idea if one last character would be him or not, but there are still a few potential indications that there could be another, though they're way weaker than stuff like the 2 DLC cards after #035 (which obviously turned out to be for Marie and Margaret). There's the potential character screen layout I came up with that would solve certain incongruities and the 3-4 remaining weeks of updates, while there would only be 2 character trailers left (with Mitsuru potentially being combined with Margaret's in a single week), but those are essentially nothing.

Mdesilva

Just curious, but what do you mean by 4th? Ah wait, you must mean in terms of DLC; I see.
People still hoping for HIM to be added, and thinking there's a good chance he will. I'm just saying why it's still possible if they chose to add another DLC character (which is the part I'm more skeptical about than the addition in question, honestly).

Hm, there hasn't been a returning P4A character that got a trailer just for themselves in a week, so it'd be unusual for Mitsuru to be the only trailer update when it happens.
Yeah, but I don't think that necessarily means a new character, though. 7/8 of the new characters had a solo trailer release week, and 3/4 console exclusive characters had a "new comer" week before their official reveal.

Either way (Mitsuru only or Mitsuru + new character) , looks like next week's update will break from the norm.
Yukiko will heal you up before she kicks your ass. So it's fair.
C1QgPl7.jpg

I'm soooo scared.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, but I don't think that necessarily means a new character, though. 7/8 of the new characters had a solo trailer release week, and 3/4 console exclusive characters had a "new comer" week before their official reveal.

Either way (Mitsuru only or Mitsuru + new character) , looks like next week's update will break from the norm.

I'm always going by the assumption that Margaret's going to be announced as a PC eventually, because that A5 P4U2 event poster was too strong of an indication. With that assumption, there hasn't been a week where a single returning character had a trailer except for Labrys on May 15, which would make Mitsuru having a trailer for herself unusual.

Mitsuru + new character wouldn't completely break the norm, since Yu and [Redacted]'s trailers were on the same day. Currently, I'm bullish on the prospect that Margaret will be revealed in next week's Famitsu, either for her trailer to be revealed next Thursday or the week after (or, the week after after like what happened with [Redacted]).

So have any of you saw that Marie is also going to free first week dlc like
Adachi
in NA? I wonder if that means it might be paid in JP. Also this makes me think Marge might be the only dlc character we have to "pay" for.
edit: My bad I see it was mentioned last page.

Sophia

So have any of you saw that Marie is also going to free first week dlc like
Adachi
in NA? I wonder if that means it might be paid in JP. Also this makes me think Marge might be the only dlc character we have to "pay" for.
edit: My bad I see it was mentioned last page.

I almost get the impression that Atlus USA wanted to make these characters truly free for us, but had to compromise.

Last character's going to be Chidori.

I would kind of like that to see Junpei's reaction.

Who's him?
A villian from PPG. Probably one of the scariest things of my childhood, right alongside "RETURN THE SLAB" from Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I almost get the impression that Atlus USA wanted to make these characters truly free for us, but had to compromise.

Yeah it being free would have been truly great, but I still like them being free 1st week too. Especially I would have bought them anyway :p

I wouldn't go that far. Here's a write up about the situation that I more-or-less agree with:

Implants the image to consumers that Atlus is being generous. These characters could just as easily be included into the main game but why do that when you could sell them separately and make more $$$?

However to avoid the inevitable "BOO PAID DLC!" consumer complaints Atlus makes a compromise to temporarily make these characters free via download in a week period. That way they save face and in the end still make extra money.

Let's be real: There are gonna be people who will fail to download the characters in the one week window because they either

1. Don't keep up to the following on the developments of this game on the internet and are unaware of deals like this.

2. Are new fans of either persona or fighting games and just got into this game after the free download period.

3. Anomalies like procrastinating consumers that keep telling themselves "I have a whole week to download it I'll do it later" and end up missing it. This kind of mentality was present with the Skullgirls THREE MONTH free dlc character window.

TlDR: They still make some extra money while still maintain the benevolent positive image to their consumer base is the primary reason.

Really?
I thought FES established that she was canonically dead. Or are you just joking :p

It only mentions her dying. (which she always does) It doesn't mention her in the present tense and, thus, her fate is ambiguous.
EDIT: Also, it would be kind of strange for her death to be made indisputably canon in the same edition of the game that gives you the option to save her. (It was only made available in FES and Portable, not the original.

FluxWaveZ

Really?
I thought FES established that she was canonically dead. Or are you just joking :p

No, Minazuki admits in Junpei's arcade ending that he is his most beloved's accomplice.

Nah, check Junpei's trailer. It's remarkably dark, if it's how it seems, so some think that it might be an indication that she's not actually dead, especially since she can recover in FES, which is the canon that P4A uses. Things like his cross necklace and the fact that he mutters "Chidori..." sometimes when he loses indicates otherwise, though.

kewlmyc

Not sure where the whole 4th DLC character thing came from, but if we're going with stupid suggestions dream choices I am going with Raidou with Jack Frost as his demon. It wouldn't make any sense, but I want it.

The final character should be a time traveling older Naoto from PxD. She can ride in on her robot bike friend.

Oh god! I forget this is even a thing sometimes.

Also wasnt there going to be a 'book club'-esque reading of that? Or did no one want to torture themselves that much?

Mdesilva

Not sure where the whole 4th DLC character thing came from, but if we're going with stupid suggestions dream choices I am going with Raidou with Jack Frost as his demon. It wouldn't make any sense, but I want it.
you'd be surprised with how many people think a certain character is still in

if they're having a 4th DLC, it's possible, but I don't think they will

FluxWaveZ

He was in Persona 4 Arena as well.
In Aigis' P4U trailer, it looks as though Mitsuru and gang were attacked in the limo. Maybe it's done by Officer Kurosawa, and he's a double-agent all along!!!??? *plot intensifies*

He's hanging out with Labrys in her trailer, though, when she's being shot at by someone else. Unless that someone else is an accomplice of Kurosawa's (gotta say, I never trusted him since his appearance in P4A; he looks too slick now).

Dantis

He was in Persona 4 Arena as well.
In Aigis' P4U trailer, it looks as though Mitsuru and gang were attacked in the limo. Maybe it's done by Officer Kurosawa, and he's a double-agent all along!!!??? *plot intensifies*

*NaotoGAF intenstifies*

If that gets released as an outfit, I will buy it day 1.

Unfortunately, if Naoto is in P4D at all, I think she'll be restricted to short hair.

Oh god! I forget this is even a thing sometimes.

Also wasnt there going to be a 'book club'-esque reading of that? Or did no one want to torture themselves that much?

There was! It just kind of never happened.

Maybe we should try it again some time.

Levito

Banned
Restarted Soul Hackers last night and played for a few hours, loving it much more than the first time. After playing SH and P2:IS back to back, it's weird to see how they're from the same era of game design, but I find SH has aged *much* better.

Dantis

Restarted Soul Hackers last night and played for a few hours, loving it much more than the first time. After playing SH and P2:IS back to back, it's weird to see how they're from the same era of game design, but I find SH has aged *much* better.

The gameplay has, but P2's story is leaps and bounds better. Soul Hackers' story is really average.

SH has indeed aged better, and SH was the basis for most modern Megaten's battle systems.

Sophia

Soul Hackers is pretty much the best of the classic-era MegaTen games. I love it.

There was! It just kind of never happened.

Maybe we should try it again some time.

I just searched and found someone who translated it, if nobody else volunteers I'll put myself through it.

Hell, I've got a week off work next week. Should be plenty of recovery time between chapters so I can do write ups.

I hope its not as bad as people say it is.

Dantis

who cares

Is this rhetorical?

I just searched and found someone who translated it, if nobody else volunteers I'll put myself through it.

Hell, I've got a week off work next week. Should be plenty of recovery time between chapters so I can do write ups.

I hope its not as bad as people say it is.

I might start reading it. Forget the book club, let's just smash through it and talk about it when we're done.

Sophia

Hashino just worked as a planner on Soul Hackers. I would imagine Daisuke Kanada's involvement was equally as important as Hashino's, if not more so. To say nothing of Hideyuki Yokoyama and Okada working as producers.

^Soul Hackers was special cuz it was basically the big time when the awesome old blood worked with the awesome new blood, if you take into account how those new 3 turned out, Soul Hackers had an all star dev team.

Is this rhetorical?

I might start reading it. Forget the book club, let's just smash through it and talk about it when we're done.

it is what you want it to be.

LETS ALL WATCH TRINITY SOUL.

^Soul Hackers was special cuz it was basically the big time when the awesome old blood worked with the awesome new blood, if you take into account how those new 3 turned out, Soul Hackers had an all star dev team.

it is what you want it to be.

LETS ALL WATCH TRINITY SOUL.

I actually liked Trinity Soul

Levito

Banned
The gameplay has, but P2's story is leaps and bounds better. Soul Hackers' story is really average.

So far I really haven't been blow away by P2:IS's story, but yeah I'd say that's probably fair. SH's gameplay is just so much more well refined and well thought out though, the encounter rate in P2:IS has actually been hampering my enjoyment of it. (Yes I'm aware the remake is worse for that)

And who was a game designer on Soul Hackers?

KATSURA FUCKING HASHINO.

Wait, really? Like the original release?

Dantis

Hashino just worked as a planner on Soul Hackers. I would imagine Daisuke Kanada's involvement was equally as important as Hashino's, if not more so. To say nothing of Hideyuki Yokoyama and Okada working as producers.

Where did you read that he was just a planner? I'm sure I read that he was a designer.

Yup. Hashino, Meguro and Soejima all worked on it. They're some of the only names in the credits of the 3DS one under "Original staff", so it must have been a small team, I guess?

Credits list for the original Playstation version.

He was a planner alongside Kanada (Trauma Center director) and Okada was director on Soul Hackers.

I think these titles are off. Soejima is down as a designer, when we know he did the 2D busts for the game.

EDIT: Definitely off. Hashino is only listed as the director of P4 and Maken X.

I suppose however you look at it though, Hashino worked on it, which was my point.

So far I really haven't been blow away by P2:IS's story, but yeah I'd say that's probably fair. SH's gameplay is just so much more well refined and well thought out though, the encounter rate in P2:IS has actually been hampering my enjoyment of it. (Yes I'm aware the remake is worse for that)

I always thought P2EP had the stronger story, and Corvo seems to agree with me, I wish we got the PSP version of that :(

And yea, Hashino, Soejima and Meguro did indeed work on Soul Hackers along with old guards like Kozy Okada, Toshiko Tasaki, Tsukasa Masuko, and Kazuma Kaneko, among others. May have missed some other big ones.

Top Bottom