• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It is, but the beginning song and the last song are also both very different difficulty wise. Diva F2nd love throwing the occasional difficulty bump but there is a progression of difficulty as you go down the song list.

Antiwhippy

I don't see how what you say here contradicts what I just said. There still has to be a curve for the same song across multiple difficulties. If a song on Easy next to a song on Hard is slow and simplistic, and then jumps to madness on All Night, then that's bad design. The songlist is linear regardless of difficulty, so what you're saying doesn't affect... anything?

I mean it's really tough for me to say how it would work seeing that, well, I haven't played the game yet, but the ideal difficulty progression for rhythm games is basically 1st song normal -> last song normal -> 1st song hard -> Last song hard -> extreme/All night/crazy whatever.

For the same song it's pretty hard for us to tell how they would handle the difficulty ramp. Really though most of the time it's just that the map more of the beats as buttons. Which is actually usually easier for me to deal with because I wouldn't be pressing a button on the beat that wasn't there.

I mean it's really tough for me to say how it would work seeing that, well, I haven't played the game yet, but the ideal difficulty progression for rhythm games is basically 1st song normal -> last song normal -> 1st song hard -> Last song hard -> extreme/All night/crazy whatever.

For the same song it's pretty hard for us to tell how they would handle the difficulty ramp. Really though most of the time it's just that the map more of the beats as buttons. Which is actually usually easier for me to deal with because I wouldn't be pressing a button on the beat that wasn't there.

Sure, but regardless of one song being harder than the other, if jumping from hard to All night on a song feels like going from 0 - 10 rather than like 8/9 -10 then that's a bad difficulty curve.

Antiwhippy

I mean that's the thing though, I don't really know how it works, but I doubt that it's going to feel like that. Difficulty ramps in rhythm most of the time is just mapping more of the notes instead of making more shit up just to mess with you (Diva F2nd does sometime feel like that though...), so the difficulty will still most likely be entirely reliant on the notes and tempo of the song.

They kinda had the same problem in Rock band Beatles, in that while the beatles are all time classics their songs are mostly pretty simplistic in rhythm and note complexity, so it resulted in a simpler game.

The sections they showed off on hard have such slow tempos I don't really know what to think of it yet.

I mean that's the thing though, I don't really know how it works, but I doubt that it's going to feel like that. Difficulty ramps in rhythm most of the time is just mapping more of the notes instead of making more shit up just to mess with you (Diva F2nd does sometime feel like that though...), so the difficulty will still most likely be entirely reliant on the notes and tempo of the song.

They kinda had the same problem in Rock band Beatles, in that while the beatles are all time classics their songs are mostly pretty simplistic in rhythm and note complexity, so it resulted in a simpler game.

The sections they showed off on hard have such slow tempos I don't really know what to think of it yet.

Hopefully they put out some all night footage soon, just so we can get an idea of what it looks like.

Sophia

Nanako is adorable. Dantis why you be hatin on the dances? ;_;

Well, in the original game the line is only mentioned once. Meanwhile the Arena games gave Narukami the tag line "The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel" and now Nanako's P4D trailer features that "Marry me, big bro" line. I might be overly sensitive to this stuff though.

To be fair, they fully acknowledge how utterly stupid Narukami's tag line is in Arena. :p

Kazzy

It is, but the beginning song and the last song are also both very different difficulty wise. Diva F2nd love throwing the occasional difficulty bump but there is a progression of difficulty as you go down the song list.

The song progression in those games is very rarely done by difficulty, and is more thematic in its order.

Yes, the VERY difficult songs tend to appear late on, though there are always tricky ones upfront. It's extremely feasible a new player will fail the very first songs, in both F and 2nd. And if I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened in the GB quicklook.

FluxWaveZ

And if I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened in the GB quicklook.

Really bad example there, because not only were there a bunch of distractions for Jeff while he was playing with having to talk at the same time and listening to those around him talk (which the Persona Stalker Club hosts also had to deal with), but their set-up provides a certain amount of input lag which will affect his performance, which he has to then adjust for.

Antiwhippy

The song progression in those games is very rarely done by difficulty, and is more thematic in its order.

Yes, the VERY difficult songs tend to appear late on, though there are always tricky ones upfront. It's extremely feasible a new player will fail the very first songs, in both F and 2nd. And if I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened in the GB quicklook.

Nah, for me the progression was somewhat smooth. There are tricky ones, which early on for me (on hard anyway) is akatsuki arrival, miracle paint and doubleganger. Even then it's from me wanting to excellent them before moving on rather than having any difficulty clearing them.

On extreme though there are some real fuckers early on, but that's mostly because that's when they start liberally using rapid notes.

arue

I was smiling the whole time I watched Nanako's trailer because she is sooooooo cute!

My youngest sister is the same age as her too, so I appreciate all the cuteness in Nanako's trailer.

Dantis is the Sho of the forum, wants everything to be grimdark and full of edge.
Agree 100%. How can you hate Nanako?!

PK Gaming

PK, why don't you take a seat over there?

You're getting yourself worked up over nothing. Nanako's comment is totally innocuous when you consider her age; you guys are the one who are attaching a creepy connotation to it.

It just feels like you're actively looking for reasons to get angry. I mean come on, really?

Antiwhippy

I love Nanako, don't be daft.

I just hate her in P4D. Her dance is probably the most in-character thing in the whole game, but it also looks like something from a TV show for toddlers.

There's really nothing wrong for a 6 year old to dance like the wiggles.

Dantis

You're getting yourself worked up over nothing. Nanako's comment is totally innocuous when you consider her age; you guys are the one who are attaching a creepy connotation to it.

It just feels like you're actively looking for reasons to get angry. I mean come on, really?

First of all, Nanako is a character. Everything she says is written. By adults. Which is not innocuous, there is some intent, humorous or not, behind it.

Second of all, Persona added the creepy connotation to it. In P4 I'm pretty sure it was meant to be cute and funny, and then Arena made it gross.

Third of all "Eurgh" is neither angry, nor worked up. It's a sound of disapproval.

There's really nothing wrong for a 6 year old to dance like the wiggles.

I honestly have no idea what you just said.

First of all, Nanako is a character. Everything she says is written. By adults. Which is not innocuous, there is some intent, innocent or not, behind it.

Second of all, Persona added the creepy connotation to it. In P4 I'm pretty sure it was meant to be cute and funny, and then Arena made it gross.

Third of all "Eurgh" is neither angry, nor worked up. It's a sound of disapproval.

I honestly have no idea what you just said.
Arena made it gross as they did with all characters, that was the point

I admit, that post was more of a joke. Still, I really don't see why they have to bring that part of her character up...

PK Gaming

First of all, Nanako is a character. Everything she says is written. By adults. Which is not innocuous, there is some intent, humorous or not, behind it.

1) I think you're off base here. Consider the cultural context in this case. Persona 4 is aggressively Japanese, and it's not exactly uncommon for young children in Japan to want to marry their older siblings. "Innocuous" in this case refers to how natural it is (Of course, it's also something most people grow out of it). I don't think they're trying to pander to that audience by having Nanako say that she wants to be his bride. It's just a silly little comment made by a 6-7 year old. That's how I see it anyway, it's your choice if you want to read it that way.

2) Your mileage my vary on this one, but I felt that the siscon jokes in Persona 4 Arena were actually pretty funny.

3) Eurgh-Eurgh.

Antiwhippy

I don't think the Nanako thing is a problem but I think you guys are severely overestimating the amount of little kids who do that stuff.

Maybe I'm a few pages late to the party, but I heard it was FeMC art week?

Even if it isn't, I whipped up a little something for my Purse Owner Art Gallery:

j4iiIbI.png

VegiHam

But this is a trailer about her dancing. How else is she supposed to be depicted here?
The same, but with less creepy 'I wanna marry big bro' stuff. Please.

Like, if we could look at it as a naive kid being sweet; that'd be nice. But it's sort of impossible not to read it as just another part of a really, uh, odd cultural trend. Specifically targeting an audience that I am not.
There is no chance whatsoever of this.

Regardless of what you think of it, it will be exactly what it looks like.
I can dream man! Maaaaaaybe they'll at least try.
She was kinda barely there in PQ.

Also dojima gets a bad rap man. He's just got things to deal with.
Yeah, but her few lines were adorable gold.
And yes, Dojima had his stuff. I actually think that's why I enjoyed the whole dynamic. Nanako's S. Link gives off these 'dad doesn't love me whaaa' vibes; and the player can choose to say 'man Dojima's a dick screw him'. Or you can choose to say 'well what's actually happening here' and do his S. Link too and discover the truth. And get rewarded with cool Personas. The whole thing tied neatly into the game's theme of not just taking stuff at face value.

FluxWaveZ

The same, but with less creepy 'I wanna marry big bro' stuff. Please.

Like, if we could look at it as a naive kid being sweet; that'd be nice. But it's sort of impossible not to read it as just another part of a really, uh, odd cultural trend. Specifically targeting an audience that I am not.

So a single line? Do you know what the context for that line is in the trailer, anyways?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Given how you guys love to comb over every single detail of everything, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how fucking gormless Kanamin's surprised face is in Nanako's trailer.

G2RB0T7.png

I wonder how/if they're actually going to justify the existence of all the other songs in-universe though. In P4 it's just background music and the characters aren't aware of it but now they're able to dance to the music.

Hm? It'll probably be like when the P4 cast went to
Tatsumi Port Island and the night club was playing P3 music. They just won't acknowledge it, it's for the players to enjoy.

Btw I have a question Persona Gaf.

I'm playing Golden right now. I've beaten P4 on PS2, but there's this girl who waits outside of the library for her senpai. Was her senpai always female? I coulda sworn it was a male on the PS2 though maybe my memory is just bad.

VegiHam

So a single line? Do you know what the context for that line is in the trailer, anyways?
Yeah, it's just the one line that's bothering me. I think the rest of the trailer, and a lot of what we've seen of the game, is pretty cool. Admittedly, I do not. I don't speak Japanese, I'm just overreacting based on what others are saying. But incest vibes are like a huge turn off for me.

Dantis

I won't complain about anything on here for a month if you can give me a plausible context where that line would be anything other than awful.

Given how you guys love to comb over every single detail of everything, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how fucking gormless Kanamin's surprised face is in Nanako's trailer.

G2RB0T7.png

I think we all just silently agree that most of the post-Arena portraits are varying degrees of bad.

I wonder how/if they're actually going to justify the existence of all the other songs in-universe though. In P4 it's just background music and the characters aren't aware of it but now they're able to dance to the music.

This is the real point of discussion. If the characters are dancing to the songs, then the songs must exist in-universe.

Did the characters choose their own songs? Is Naoto a really big fan of Signs of Love Reincarnation?

Is the reason that all the songs feature the same singer because the Investigation Team are just collectively huge fans of Shihoko Hirata?

Does this make Shihoko Hirata canonically a part of the Persona universe? By extension, does that make Persona 4 a part of the Persona universe? Does this mean that the Investigation Team are fans of these songs because they have, again, collectively, played through and are fans of Persona 4?

If the songs are canon and Shihoko Hirata is canon and Persona 4 as a game within Persona 4 is canon, is PersonaGAF canon?

#seriousquestionsthatmustbeanswered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom