• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junes with lyrics sucks.

Hmm.. When they localize this game they'll have Nanako say something else different from the actual song that's playing. Unless the actual song is dubbed too like True Story in Golden.

If True Story ends up being a song on this, will it be dubbed?

Dantis

He's not the only writer though, I'd assume. The Wiki page lists Yuichiroh Tanaka and Akira Kawasaki as the lead writers. I'll have to look up some stuff to see what their real role was and how actively involved in the spinoffs they were.

Well, I mean, Hashino is the director. I don't think he actually does any of the writing, he just directs those who do.

Arena was written by the P3 writer, as I recall. PQ was written by Asuza Kido, who was the scenario and S Link planning lead on P4. Tanaka and Kawasaki were scenario writers.

Why do i get the impression P5 characters all look so much more mature compared to the previous casts?

Persona-5_2015_05-01-15_015.jpg

Pissed off face while playing with phone?

Persona-5_2015_05-01-15_007.jpg

This, it's a totally random attribute to assign. I would have made more fun of his mary-sueness/spotlight hogging.

Either way, Arena just plan sucks. I hope none of the main series writers were involved in any of the spinoffs.

Also, we've already seen 2D portraits for Persona 5, you guys.

Not sure if they're going to be THE main character portraits or just used in special scenes, but it should give us a strong idea about the quality of the character portraits in the rest of the game. It looks absolutely great, and the characters blink and animate as well. I have no fears whatsoever when it comes to character portraits in P5.

Yeah, it's hard to say if the tears are the portrait replacement or if they will just be used at certain points during the cutscenes. Either way they are vastly superior to the original static portraits, they are more stylistically interesting plus they don't detract to much from the actual characters on screen.

Sophia

Quote your images please >.>

Link your images, please. No embedded screenshots of events/dungeons, people. :\

Hopefully they're seniors, it'd be a nice change of pace on multiple levels.

Why can't I be in cryostasis until that comes out? Such style.

They're second years, we think. There are two pips on the male protagonist's uniform at any rate. If it's like Persona 4 (and real life schools), that should indicate the year.

84X

Banned
Hmm.. When they localize this game they'll have Nanako say something else different from the actual song that's playing. Unless the actual song is dubbed too like True Story in Golden.

If True Story ends up being a song on this, will it be dubbed?

If it ties into the story which is likely, then it's... at least possible.
I'd imagine the reasons it was dubbed in Golden would still be present here.
Please Atlus USA, don't be lazy.

Unless of course it gets remixed by a guest artist, then it'd at least be understandable not to be dubbed.

As for the Junes theme, they'll probably say screw it and leave it as is.

Hopefully they're seniors, it'd be a nice change of pace on multiple levels.

Why can't I be in cryostasis until that comes out? Such style.

I think ur right, seniors in prep for entrance exams. fits nicely with the pressure and chaining down and all that of getting top marks and getting into top uni. it looks like a private school so likely competitive.

cj_iwakura

I think ur right, seniors in prep for entrance exams. fits nicely with the pressure and chaining down and all that of getting top marks and getting into top uni. it looks like a private school so likely competitive.

If Japanese college wasn't so reportedly dull, an open-ended game where you could live out a freeform college term and make your own schedule/course lineup would be a beautiful thing.

Dantis

Part of why the characters look older is because they're dressed more realistically and fashionably. The actual faces don't look any older than the P4 cast did in later art, I don't think.

Sophia

Ah, right. I thought it'd been clarified in Famitsu for something

It's entirely possible it was clarified in Famitsu and I just don't remember properly. I'm sure Flux will chime in any second and tell me if I'm wrong. >_>;

EDIT: Scratch that, don't even need to wait for Flux. It was indeed stated that he is a second year in the Famitsu information.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
The last time we had a senior hs protagonist was P2(Tatsuya). :( I think the reason second year main characters/cast has stuck in Persona so far is because 3rd yrs have a lot less free time cause of entrance exams. Ergo, more time for social links and missions, ect.

PK Gaming

The last time we had a senior hs protagonist was P2(Tatsuya). :( I think the reason second year main characters/cast has stuck in Persona so far is because 3rd yrs have a lot less free time cause of entrance exams. Ergo, more time for social links and missions, ect.

Right

And Tatsuya just did not give a fuck

Mawarup

Neo Member
Hello all! Was finally able to join so I thought my first post should go to this thread! Had lots to say when I was signing up during the P5 new trailer reveal, but didn't expect to wait about a couple of months to actually get in... Well I am looking forward to chatting with you folks from now on.

So do third years in middle school equivalent in Japan have much as a hard time as do the high school? Otherwise, lets keep dropping the grade to have more free time!

Lunar15

I think it's just because the models are realistically proportioned.

Art wise, I think they look a little younger than the P4 cast, actually.

Here's an Imgur album I made with all of the Persona 5 product site image translations: http://imgur.com/a/YrSzj

I also posted a small analysis I made of the hi-res screenshots on my Twitter. Hope everyone enjoys the album; worked hard on it, and I hope to make fans happy.

Sophia

Nicely done. Wonder when we'll get the key art for the other three(and maybe their Personas).

I imagine as we get closer to release, we'll start getting character trailers, with followups in Famitasu and Dengeki. So likely in July or August? Depends on what happens on May 5th, among other things.

Sorry to bump this everyone, but I'd like people to know this: Please read the descriptions under each image in the Imgur album I made to better understand the translation. I know no one here criticized it or anything, but I'm just stating that in case. Sorry about this, and I hope everyone understands.

Sorry to bump this everyone, but I'd like people to know this: Please read the descriptions under each image in the Imgur album I made to better understand the translation. I know no one here criticized it or anything, but I'm just stating that in case. Sorry about this, and I hope everyone understands.

Don't worry about it. You did a good job with the translation.

I imagine as we get closer to release, we'll start getting character trailers, with followups in Famitasu and Dengeki. So likely in July or August? Depends on what happens on May 5th, among other things.

P5's media cycle will be interesting, if that blu ray ends up being a huge 15 minute blowout of gameplay then I kind of wonder what they'll follow that up with.

kiyoaki

Your translation looks good to me.

The high-res screenshots give a better sense of the lighting effects and shading style they're going for. P5 looks really a lot like Catherine, which is fine with me. I'm hoping we'll get at least some new screenshots on 5/5/15.

So, I looked a bit closer at this image, and found something...

On the very right, where the yellow kanji are on the "sign" of sorts, the kanji is "教育的指導" which means "educational leadership" or "educational guidance"

I feel this fits even more with the emancipation theme. What if one of the dungeons is a distorted or warped version of Shujin High School? Think about it. What castle with knights and all has a sign that says "educational guidance"? The kanji for "shujin" in Shujin High School is are "秀尽" The first kanji (秀) can mean "excel" or "preemptiveness", while the second (尽) can mean "last day" "end" and "exhaust" amongst other similar words. We already know the name is a play on words while still having a specific meaning behind it, which I believe was explained in an interview with Hashino in February.

Those who don't excel or are not already prepared (preemptiveness) need educational guidance, and this is the distorted version of the school, which is formed (I don't mean literally formed by the people, but by their thoughts) by those who were held down due to not being able to excel, and exhausted their efforts. I know the theory does sound weird, but it does make sense. Especially with Hashino saying that he wants this game to have dungeons a phantom thief would infiltrate. Something about this place must be important to the story, or at least important during the point of the game where you infiltrate and explore it. This place even has a flag with an emblem, so there must be some group behind this place or something of some sort.

Maybe the dungeons are all formed by those who are held down or things that hold people down; their thoughts making the occurrence happen. And, the main cast are the only ones who can stop it and "free" everyone by being breaking out of the societal norms. It feels like Persona 5 is going in that direction.

I'm not saying the people literally form it. I mean the things that hold them down themselves may form these dungeons, and may have caused the occurrence at the start of the game. This is just a theory, after all. However, I still find this very interesting.

DNAbro

On the very right, where the yellow kanji are on the "sign" of sorts, the kanji is "教育的指導" which means "educational leadership" or "educational guidance"

I feel this fits even more with the emancipation theme. What if one of the dungeons is a distorted or warped version of Shujin High School? Think about it. What castle with knights and all has a sign that says "educational guidance"? The kanji for "shujin" in Shujin High School is are "秀尽" The first kanji (秀) can mean "excel" or "preemptiveness", while the second (尽) can mean "last day" "end" and "exhaust" amongst other similar words. We already know the name is a play on words while still having a specific meaning behind it, which I believe was explained in an interview with Hashino in February.

Those who don't excel or are not already prepared (preemptiveness) need educational guidance, and this is the distorted version of the school, which is formed (I don't mean literally formed by the people, but by their thoughts) by those who were held down due to not being able to excel, and exhausted their efforts. I know the theory does sound weird, but it does make sense. Especially with Hashino saying that he wants this game to have dungeons a phantom thief would infiltrate. Something about this place must be important to the story, or at least important during the point of the game where you infiltrate and explore it. This place even has a flag with an emblem, so there must be some group behind this place or something of some sort.

Maybe the dungeons are all formed by those who are held down or things that hold people down; their thoughts making the occurrence happen. And, the main cast are the only ones who can stop it and "free" everyone by being breaking out of the societal norms. It feels like Persona 5 is going in that direction.

I'm not saying the people literally form it. I mean the things that hold them down themselves may form these dungeons, and may have caused the occurrence at the start of the game. This is just a theory, after all. However, I still find this very interesting.

That's a pretty good theory, that along with this pic

Take-your-heart.jpg

Makes me think that you have to basically steal people's hearts out of the place that is holding them down.

The only flaws in that theory is that it seems to nice, like would these characters do this out of kindness? The other thing that makes me wonder is the seven deadly sins thing and how it would relate to this.

kiyoaki

Those who don't excel or are not already prepared (preemptiveness) need educational guidance, and this is the distorted version of the school, which is formed (I don't mean literally formed by the people, but by their thoughts) by those who were held down due to not being able to excel, and exhausted their efforts. I know the theory does sound weird, but it does make sense.
Concerning the school's name, I think you're overthinking it a bit. In the Famitsu interview, Hashino said:
秀尽学園というネーミングは、“囚人”の同音異義とも受け取れますが(笑)、「秀でるように尽くせ」という校訓が表れた名前になります。もしもこれが、社会のレールに沿ってさえいればいいという価値観で解釈されるものだとしたら、反骨精神のある生徒にとっては歯向かうターゲットになるでしょうね。
尽くす as in ベストを尽くす has rather positive connotations and doesn't imply failure/exhaustion.「秀でるように尽くせ」means "give it your all so you will excel." It's meant to be an inspirational school motto. Almost every school in Japan has one or more of these. This being Persona, there'll of course be a dark side to the school, and as Hashino said you can read the motto critically as an example of conformist careerism, but on the surface, I don't think the name necessarily implies all you think.

That's a pretty good theory, that along with this pic

Take-your-heart.jpg

Makes me think that you have to basically steal people's hearts out of the place that is holding them down.

The only flaws in that theory is that it seems to nice, like would these characters do this out of kindness? The other thing that makes me wonder is the seven deadly sins thing and how it would relate to this.

The characters could be doing it of their own volition or it's possible that they have no real choice in the matter, it's hard to say this point. As for the seven deadly sins, has that been expanded on at any point beyond the trailer? As I've just assumed that the sins would each relate to a party member.

DNAbro

The characters could be doing it of their own volition or it's possible that they have no real choice in the matter, it's hard to say this point. As for the seven deadly sins, has that been expanded on at any point beyond the trailer? As I've just assumed that the sins would each relate to a party member.

I was wondering if it would have some actual effect on the story or would just represent their characters. I mean there is no way to know yet, but I would assume the first.

I was wondering if it would have some actual effect on the story or would just represent their characters. I mean there is no way to know yet, but I would assume the first.

It could be both for all we know, but based on what little was shown in that trailer I'm mainly expecting it to just be related to the party members and their personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom