• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

Both would've been done by just changing translating the line in my case. We had Excel spreadsheets and one of the tabs was related to Menu and UI stuff. So in this case, they would just have to translate the japanese text at the bottom left to, say, "Shinjuku Station" (I don't know what it actually says) and that would be it. For the top-left thing, it depends how it's coded I guess. If it's text with modified fonts then that would still be easy. If it's indeed an artist that worked on that element and did one for every single day then yeah he would have to work on the localization.

I doubt that's how they did it though, seems like a lot of work when they could just code something simple enough that combines various elements. I suspect that's the case and they just select from a list what is tied to each day. For example, [Day of the Week], [Weather Icon] and [Time of Day], each of those UI elements tied to a font. For localization, they'd just have to translate all the lines that are in Japanese and copy-paste the text that's already in English (as a cell left empty would just read "LineID 100349"). So, say, Afternoon, Night, After School, Morning, etc. Then the game would display those lines in English when the language is set to English and in Japanese when it's set to Japanese. For example:

I don't know how they operate but in my case the artists wouldn't have had to work on anything in this scenario.

I'd personally assume that the time of day indicator in the upper left is probably art, not text stored as data. I believe (not 100% sure) Persona 3 and Persona 4 did it that way. Thus it probably requires being replaced for the English version.

Also Atlus has, in the past, replaced art within the game world. For example the sign for Hagakure in Persona 3 was altered for the English version. Paulownia Mall has altered art too, like the Japanese word for "Police" being replaced with an English one. So it depends on how much art like that would need to be modified.

Using PV3 as an example, seeing as the locations within this image can be entered, they might or might not have to alter them for the English version.

Weiss

Banned
Ooh I just had a thought; what if the opening updates to include new party members as the game goes on? It'd be a good way to avoid outright showing who'll be joining the party.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know how they operate but in my case the artists wouldn't have had to work on anything in this scenario.

Awesome, that's a much more efficient system than I was envisioning.

So, basically with that and what you were saying before, the main problem relating to a release delay for localization is generally when there are significant script changes and when the work that needs to be translated comes in late as development is in flux. If we assume that the game truly is pretty much done in terms of content, and that the rest of the time will be devoted to polish, those issues would presumably not come about for the English localization of Persona 5.

Then again, there have to be factors outside of pure development/translation to consider when it comes to an English release compared to the Japanese one, like strategic planning relating to publishers.

When Atlus USA finally releases their own PV03 in 4-5 months or so, it will be deflating if it's just subbed.

Using PV3 as an example, seeing as the locations within this image can be entered, they might or might not have to alter them for the English version.

True, there's also stuff like that and other things you mention. Even if they're minor it requires artists, which then extends to programming, and then to QA.

hughesta

Banned
I wonder if/when that P5 OVA will be dubbed. If it's releasing in Japan in January as a prologue to the game (is that confirmed?) I'd want to get used to the dubbed voices as soon as possible.

Sophia

True, there's also stuff like that and other things you mention. Even if they're minor it requires artists, which then extends to programming, and then to QA.

Realistically I want to believe that the original Japanese team was working firmly under the assumption that their game is being localized, and thus have already started on work that they know may be required for the eventual English release. Certainly most developers take into consideration what would be required nowadays ahead of time. If you know your game is gonna come out in English, then you know you need to say extend the name entry screens, adjust the length of text boxes, prepare art for the international release, etc.

Although.... I actually didn't see much of anything in PV3 that popped out as significantly requiring artist changes. Most of it is very likely stored as text, and as Jachaos said probably wouldn't require any extra effort from the original programmers or artists.

cj_iwakura

I'm pretty sure most localization houses use the spreadsheet method, which makes me hope that whoever's doing the replacing on the other side of the Pacific is bilingual. Guess it doesn't matter too much, though.

It'd be so much easier if more US branches did their own programming, but I guess it's not cost effective(or timely).

Jachaos

I'd personally assume that the time of day indicator in the upper left is probably art, not text stored as data. I believe (not 100% sure) Persona 3 and Persona 4 did it that way. Thus it probably requires being replaced for the English version.

Also Atlus has, in the past, replaced art within the game world. For example the sign for Hagakure in Persona 3 was altered for the English version. Paulownia Mall has altered art too, like the Japanese word for "Police" being replaced with an English one. So it depends on how much art like that would need to be modified.

Ah, I didn't know about how those assets were originally in Japanese. Well then sure, the artists would need to localize those. I didn't think there were any but now I can't say for sure. I doubt there would be much though. I'd be fine with them not localizing those in your screenshot but I can see how they would. Either way, it's not very time consuming.

Awesome, that's a much more efficient system than I was envisioning.

So, basically with that and what you were saying before, the main problem relating to a release delay for localization is generally when there are significant script changes and when the work that needs to be translated comes in late as development is in flux. If we assume that the game truly is pretty much done in terms of content, and that the rest of the time will be devoted to polish, those issues would presumably not come about for the English localization of Persona 5.

Then again, there have to be factors outside of pure development/translation to consider when it comes to an English release compared to the Japanese one, like strategic planning relating to publishers.

When Atlus USA finally releases their own PV03 in 4-5 months or so, it will be deflating if it's just subbed.

Yeah, for the game to take months to localize would mean they started localization work late in development, that they don't have a lot of people working on it (you know they do for P5) and/or. that a significant portion of the work had to be redone. If they can get started on the translation earlier because the game is almost done then it would allow them to shoot for a simultaneous release. Adapting UI elements for overflows, overlaps and other issues that would arise from having longer text than the source one always takes some time so Atlus JP would have to fix what Atlus USA's loc. QA finds when they close in on the NA release. That's true for all such projects though and I doubt they couldn't handle it. Of course I can't assume anything regarding Atlus USA and Atlus JP's relationship but I figure it is likely they achieve a simultaneous release.

Ooh I just had a thought; what if the opening updates to include new party members as the game goes on? It'd be a good way to avoid outright showing who'll be joining the party.

That would be the way to go. I'm trying to remember what other game does this but I can't. Anyway, that's what they should do.

Sophia

I'm pretty sure most localization houses use the spreadsheet method, which makes me hope that whoever's doing the replacing on the other side of the Pacific is bilingual. Guess it doesn't matter too much, though.

It'd be so much easier if more US branches did their own programming, but I guess it's not cost effective(or timely).

Some of them do. I believe XSEED has their own programmer (Sara I think was her name?) who was responsible for the numerous touch-ups and additional features in the Ys Napishtim trilogy.

In most cases, I'd imagine it's a combination of a) you need a programmer, b) you need a developer/publisher who's willing to give the programmer the source code, and c) you need the time, and by extension of the fact that time is money, that too.

Ah, I didn't know about how those assets were originally in Japanese. Well then sure, the artists would need to localize those. I didn't think there were any but now I can't say for sure. I doubt there would be much though. I'd be fine with them not localizing those in your screenshot but I can see how they would. Either way, it's not very time consuming.

Yeah. Atlus is generally very thorough with their localization processes. On their in-house PS2 titles especially, they generally have not made any compromises on things like art. It's actually a wonder to see all the little things they've changed. I'd like to one day eventually do a comparison of the Japanese and English releases of Persona 3 and 4 just to give people an idea.

But yeah, as you said, not time consume. Especially if they were planning for it as I mentioned above.

Keep in mind though that they didn't do that with P4. At least not the shopping district, anyway. I think as Atlus USA gets more comfortable with having Japanese elements in their localisations, they wouldn't bother changing stuff like store signs, which also saves on time.

That's rather interesting. I admit I've not seen as much of Persona 4 in Japanese as I have Persona 3. One of these days I'll either find a Japanese copy to emulate or watch videos of it on YouTube. I wonder if the choice to keep them as is was a stylistic one or simply not feeling the need... ?

Keep in mind though that they didn't do that with P4. At least not the shopping district, anyway. I think as Atlus USA gets more comfortable with having Japanese elements in their localisations, they wouldn't bother changing stuff like store signs, which also saves on time.

Jachaos

Yeah. Atlus is generally very thorough with their localization processes. On their in-house PS2 titles especially, they generally have not made any compromises on things like art. It's actually a wonder to see all the little things they've changed. I'd like to one day eventually do a comparison of the Japanese and English releases of Persona 3 and 4 just to give people an idea.

But yeah, as you said, not time consume. Especially if they were planning for it as I mentioned above.

Yep, I would think they planned for it but if I've learned something following them is we can't exactly be sure.

I'd prefer they do more like they did in P4 and not change much assets in the game world. It makes the setting that much more immersive.

If you see the trailer closely he carries her even in the (inside of) school shots

I love the relationship Morgana seems to have with the gang (being with the MC everywhere, being thrown around by the other two) and it's cool how she's always in the bag.

Anyone have download links for the new music? Looking specifically for a version of the new battle theme and the two chill songs from the Hashino interview vid.

FluxWaveZ

atlustube

• Real swift to remove some videos of theirs other people upload, yet this one is somehow still up after 24 hours.
  • They removed the Katsura Hashino developer interview for P5 from their own channel.
  • They've updated the descriptions of the first teaser trailer and PV01 to state "Summer 2016," but the announcement trailer still lists "Winter 2014."
  • PV02 has been shown several times on the Sega TGS 2015 live stream and has been looped on the show floor, yet it hasn't been uploaded to either Sega's channel or atlustube.
Wonder if they regret that announcement trailer and have since purged it from their minds.

That would be the way to go. I'm trying to remember what other game does this but I can't. Anyway, that's what they should do.

Wild ARMs 3 has four different opening animations depicting various plot events. It even has an ending animation that would play every time we choose to quit after saving. It is a neglected feature I think every "anime" game should do!

cj_iwakura

Wild ARMs 3 has four different opening animations depicting various plot events. It even has an ending animation that would play every time we choose to quit after saving. It is a neglected feature I think every "anime" game should do!

Yeah, that was great. That made it feel very episodic. (It's also like an eighty hour game, heh.)

FluxWaveZ

This sounds great, though I could imagine it also taking quite a bit of work to pull off.

Lunar15

Not that I care about GOTY that much, but I feel like a summer release means it'll get bumped out of consideration for a few of them. Oh well.

Why'd they take down the Developer Interview?

EDIT: Final thought: I'd hope that in getting a soul-ish singer, meguro would spring for a real brass section instead of the derpy horns he usually uses. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.

FluxWaveZ

Not that I care about GOTY that much, but I feel like a summer release means it'll get bumped out of consideration for a few of them. Oh well.

Whoa, no, this is completely wrong. Persona 5 would have been bumped out of consideration if it was a November/December 2015 game. Like Alex Navarro states on this week's Giant Beastcast, if Persona 5 were to be released in the West during the June-August period—one which traditionally lacks major releases—Persona 5 would make a much bigger splash in the media than at the end of the year when GotY deliberations are already underway, especially for a game that will be presumably as lengthy as P5.

One of the positives of a delay is, in fact, that the game has a chance of getting into more GotY discussions now.

Lunar15

Whoa, no, this is completely wrong. Persona 5 would have been bumped out of consideration if it was a November/December 2015 game. Like Alex Navarro states on this week's Giant Beastcast, if Persona 5 were to be released in the West during the June-August period—one which traditionally lacks major releases—Persona 5 would make a much bigger splash in the media than at the end of the year when GotY deliberations are already underway.

One of the positives of a delay is, in fact, that the game has a chance of getting into GotY discussions now.

I dunno, I feel like Witcher 3 is a non-factor in the considerations almost purely because it came out in May.

Reviewers would play the game in the winter because it's their job.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, I feel like Witcher 3 is a non-factor in the considerations almost purely because it came out in May.

Reviewers would play the game in the winter because it's their job.

Nah, I really think you're completely off-base here. Mass Effect 2 won various GotY rewards when it came out in 2010. Its release date? January.

I follow deliberations from different sites closely and it doesn't matter if it's their job or not, it's common sense that since they start in mid-November, early December, the games generally released during that period—especially the bigger ones—will get overlooked by most of the staff because it's just not possible to get to them in time.

The Witcher 3 is a lock for one of the games that will be discussed the most during GotY 2015 discussions; I'm actually really confused where you're coming from on this.

You're aware that The Last of Us came out in June, right? Max Payne 3, Diablo III, Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs... those all came out in May, too.

Lunar15

I dunno, I just feel like some reviewers kind of block out games that came out before a certain point, especially if it's a stacked year. Last of Us is a good point, though.

We'll see. I don't really care about GOTY's truth be told. I'm probably just projecting my personal distaste for a summer release over a winter release. Though, might be around this time when we get it next year, depending on when it hits in japan.

Speaking of P5 awards, it looks like it won some kind of "Most Anticipated Award" at TGS. To the surprise of basically no one.

Much more troubling, though, is that Twitter-Teddie made the announcement. Bring Morgana back Atlus, she's scientifically better.

I dunno, I just feel like some reviewers kind of block out games that came out before a certain point, especially if it's a stacked year. Last of Us is a good point, though.

We'll see. I don't really care about GOTY's truth be told. I'm probably just projecting my personal distaste for a summer release over a winter release. Though, might be around this time when we get it next year, depending on when it hits in japan.
For what it's worth, if P5 came out in late or even mid-December it'd probably be too late to qualify for some GOTY awards. I'm pretty sure most of them have a cut-off date of early December. This doesn't mean anything for your personal preference though, so that's still a valid concern.

I'm kinda the opposite though. I'm pretty sure every playthrough I've done of a Persona game has been a summer time thing. Some pretty fond memories there.

FluxWaveZ

If Ryuji's Persona is Captain Kidd
and Anne's Persona is Belle Starr, and it's practically confirmed not-Jun's Persona is Goemon, one of the consistent points is that those are all characters who met tragic ends fighting for what they believed in.

1/2

4p9GbOH.png

Also, that Persona 5 story premise is some Persona 2 Masked Circle kind of business.

Zolo

Can't quite remember what comes out next year, but if anything, Persona 5 getting more GOTY awards seems more likely next year than this year with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 as competition.

Can't quite remember what comes out next year, but if anything, Persona 5 getting more GOTY awards seems more likely next year than this year with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 as competition.

Though it will be competing with FFXV and Zelda, and many high-profile western releases. 2016 is packed.

Assuming it all doesn't get delayed to 2017.

Zolo

Though it will be competing with FFXV and Zelda, and many high-profile western releases. 2016 is packed.

Assuming it all doesn't get delayed to 2017.

Oh wait. I was thinking about RPG of the year. >.> Still, I think it'd fare better against FFXV considering FF hasn't been been that big of a critical success in a while.

Yeah, Persona needs that fat kid friend.

P3_Nozomi_(Summer)_Render.png

If the game is content complete or close to it, then it'd be not-at-all unrealistic to expect a close localization. There's no reason the script would significantly change at this point, for example.

I actually feel very confident (avatar bet levels of confident even) that a simultaneous or near simultaneous release could happen.

Are you saying you are 100% confident you will win and won't need to worry about potentially changing from an Aigis avatar? :p

Already better than Hirata in my book lol

I absolutely love Kawamura's lower tone of voice in P3's songs

So my mind was blown when I found out last night the both the singers for P3 and P4 were both on the soundtrack for the P3/P4 crossover, PQ, but now I found out they both are on the Arena soundtrack too? What?

Also just found this song and I like it.

Also, I've been listening to a bunch of P4DAN songs on youtube and what do I see when I got today? A big fucking spoiler for P3. Why would you put a spoilery image as your thumbnail?

Dantis

EDIT: Final thought: I'd hope that in getting a soul-ish singer, meguro would spring for a real brass section instead of the derpy horns he usually uses. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.

Doubt it.

I think he uses the synth ones that he uses because he doesn't really utilise them that much, and they fit with the heavily electronica sound of his music generally anyway.

So my mind was blown when I found out last night the both the singers for P3 and P4 were both on the soundtrack for the P3/P4 crossover, PQ, but now I found out they both are on the Arena soundtrack too? What?

Also, I've been listening to a bunch of P4DAN songs on youtube and what do I see when I got today? A big fucking spoiler for P3. Why would you put a spoilery image as your thumbnail?

I haven't really listened to much of LJ's stuff outside of Persona, but i really should. I really like LJ's voice

convo

Everyone seems to not get that throwing the mascot character around in the op and the trailer is an actual thing so that Morgana can turn into a vehicle or something else. Imagine a cat airplane though, i need some fan art of that.

Don't know if it's been posted here before but:
Japanese magazine scans have revealed the fifth party member for Persona 5 with Yusuke Kitagawa, who uses the Goemon Persona. [Thanks, Hachima.]

Yusuke Kitagawa, voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, and is an honor student who takes an art course at the Kosei Public High School. He’s currently a live-in disciple of a famous Japanese painter, known as Madarame.

There are also some story details on Persona 5:

The main characters will cause some trouble in the big city as the “Phantom Thieves of Hearts.” They say that those who receive letters of notice from the Phantom thieves go as far as confessing their own crimes, and reforming themselves.

The protagonist and his crew will target “corrupt adults” and steal their “corrupt hearts” in order to change the corrupt world.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/1...duced-as-yusuke-kitagawa/#RVUAu5ThCbIO5IH5.99

Hmm... that's interesting.

Dantis

That song is written by Meguro, just FYI.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
atlustube just out up an hour long time lapse video of Soejima doing the artwork for that P5 wallpaper. It's kind of cool, but also, an hour long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZUvWs-XyE

Everyone seems to not get that throwing the mascot character around in the op and the trailer is an actual thing so that Morgana can turn into a vehicle or something else. Imagine a cat airplane though, i need some fan art of that.

YIT84wF.jpg

Setsu00

This is not really an excuse, but P3 is nine years old at this point. Atlus themselves don't even care anymore about spoiling the identity of P4's killer.

atlustube just out up an hour long time lapse video of Soejima doing the artwork for that P5 wallpaper. It's kind of cool,
but
also, an hour long...

I could watch him draw forever.

Sounds like Persona art is in Famitsu then. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Premise sounds interesting at least, reminds me of Death Note a bit. and clicking on the other thread I see that I'm not original and that has already been heavily discussed.

Top Bottom